#47: That's not just any man... That's OUR man! You're a GOOD MAN, Clay Aiken!

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title Poll  

68 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• President Obama needed advice from a Stimulus Package Expert.
    • I will watch with Clay on it. And TIVO it, and wat it multi-times, and in freeze frame.
    • Let's celebrate what's good about him, his music, his philanthropy, his good looks, his great voice, his everything!
    • He was just a singer on a stupid reality show and would disappear like Kaiser Sose!
    • This guy is worth all the love we can bestow on him!
    • What a joy it was to sit right there and watch "naked" Clay singing "naked" songs.
    • Clay is Wicked Awesome!
    • Two words: Aiken Fog.
    • ...phone book...mumble...mumble...
    • Clay Aiken has wicked game
    • 6 years and counting and he's still curling toes.
    • My game is wicked...
    • No matter what Clay says or does, SOMEBODY will get their panties in a wad.
    • He's Clay Aiken. He sneezes in style.
    • Clay Aiken=Me fan Squared to the nth degree for life!
    • He is...therefore I fan.
    • The perfect mix of voice, comedy, and just plain humanity.
    • I never said I wasn't crazy. I just said that I wasn't a Claymate.

I haven't read comments in the "Queer" article, but I don't think of the word "queer" as necessarily pejorative. Am I to understand from the author's comments that people are taking her to task for the way she writes about Clay's sexual orientation?

Jesus. It was bad enough when people rampaged about writers just SUGGESTING he was gay ("queeny" comes to mind) but it seems excessive to quible about terminology at this point if the author is writing something positive. Will the fan pollice never retire???

Happy 6th Anniversary, FCA! :goaround:

I've been trying to get here all day. I went straight from blogging to teaching, but I do have a commemorative entry at Carolina On My Mind that includes remembrances by 11 fans about the night they first heard Clay sing, graphics, and montages by Pixieglitter and Aspiegirl. Hope you enjoy! :)

Here's to many more years! :nanalove:

Many thnx to Scarlett and Goldarngirl for the wonderful clack from GWI! :clap:

Have a great week, all! :BlowKiss:

Caro listen.gif

I haven't read comments in the "Queer" article, but I don't think of the word "queer" as necessarily pejorative. Am I to understand from the author's comments that people are taking her to task for the way she writes about Clay's sexual orientation?

Jesus. It was bad enough when people rampaged about writers just SUGGESTING he was gay ("queeny" comes to mind) but it seems excessive to quible about terminology at this point if the author is writing something positive. Will the fan pollice never retire???

there are 25 comments

only 4 mention the use of the words but say they like the article over all. Actually at least 2 of those comments seem to be written by the same person. 1 comment says that she/he thinks the article was really written by a fan.

not as bad as I have seen some articles get commented on. Something I really never understood.

Still in the Aiken fog but just checking in to say that I'm home and I hope everyone else made it back ok -- I hope Shamrock is fine, they had 12 inces today.

... *sigh* Wasn't he just wonderful!!!... still up in the clouds ...

Just to add something to the current topic: I like that quote about cooking because I also like doing it in extremes -- either minimalistic or no-holds barred.

Food-related movies are good too!

ETA: *waves to Caro*

It probably wasn't queer..people are used to that..but as she said she used lots of other adjectives..I can't think of them right now..strawberry something or other.

It probably wasn't queer..people are used to that..but as she said she used lots of other adjectives..I can't think of them right now..strawberry something or other.

Our favorite strawberry fruitcake and rebel belle come to mind. Oh and I think the fans were called queenyboppers. LMAO! Really none of it bothered me cause instead of being said in an insulting way it came across to me as more endearing than anything else. And sorry but some of these actually made me laugh because they are soooo OTT.

food movies that I love?

Tortilla soup

Soul Food

are there others?hee

Tampopo

Rent it from Netflix or some place. Watch it with subtitles. Really funny and strange Japanese movie about noodles and sex. My cousin Shinichi said he thought it showed the Japanese soul. I'll bring it the next time some of us get together, and I'll teach you how to make zaru soba (easy peasy!).

Clay content: He eats at teppan-yaki restaurants and likes to play with his food.

food movies that I love?

Tortilla soup

Soul Food

are there others?hee

Tampopo

Like Water for Chocolate

Eat Drink, Man Woman

Babette's Feast

Chocolat

Harold and Kumar go to White Castle

Supersize Me

Fried Green Tomatoes

The Wedding Banquet

9 1/2 weeks

Sideways

more?

Couchie, other food movies Tampopo, Like Water for Chocolate, Babette's Feast, Eating Rauland Who is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe. These are a few I saw and enjoyed. To be honest, I had to look the names up as I always forget them. But have no doubt, I love me some food movies.

I admit the names in that women's article about Clay didn't thrill me but then I wasn't her targeted audience. But I thought her response was very gracious. Six years of reading articles making fun of Clay made me untrusting, I'm happy I was wrong in this case. :naughtywag:

Of my gay friends over the years, I never did hear them speak like this, in fact we never discussed being gay at all. For some odd reason we talked about houses, movies, books, food and mostly business. My best friend in college who was bi did like to talk about her experiences with me but never did she call herself anything other than bi. Maybe I'm just too proper for them to talk that way in front of me. :hide:

ETA: In the two hours it took me to type and correct this post I see kimiye and Scarlett have already posted a list. I loved Tampopo too. But all were great actually.

My best friend in college who was bi did like to talk about her experiences with me

Now I really think that is TMI *g*

lol I thought the same thing but wasn't going to post it

BTW

Merieee

you seem quite frisky after hearing Clay Monday night

Big Night (one of my very favorites)

The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover

Babette's Feast has already been mentioned, but I love that movie!

This is interrupting my the endless repeat of "This Is The Moment" in my head...

but these are a few more:

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

Under The Tuscan Sun

Joy Luck Club

Mystic Pizza (snap!)

Back to Clay.....

lol, kimiye and merrieeee!

ETA:

BTW

Merieee

Like everything (including global warming) it's Clay's fault. =)

ETAA:

Really back to Clay....

Yesssss!

That man does it to me every time! Scarlett & I were so high we almost didn't need the plane to bring us home!

6 years, 6 years? Really? Who knew we would still be around? Not me. He was just a singer on a stupid reality show and would disappear like Kaiser Sose! But he had to go and stick around and my heartstrings are just so tightly wound around him I stuck around too. I adore him and just seeing him on Monday night all the feelings just came flooding back. I wanted to laugh and cry at the same time.

My best friend in college who was bi did like to talk about her experiences with me

Now I really think that is TMI *g*

lol I thought the same thing but wasn't going to post it

I told you she was my best friend. Just kidding, just kidding. :cryingwlaughter: I really stink at punctuation.

ETA:merrieee, this is so sweet.

6 years, 6 years? Really? Who knew we would still be around? Not me. He was just a singer on a stupid reality show and would disappear like Kaiser Sose! But he had to go and stick around and my heartstrings are just so tightly wound around him I stuck around too. I adore him and just seeing him on Monday night all the feelings just came flooding back. I wanted to laugh and cry at the same time.

Australia, Australia...hmm, I haven't been to Australia yet...full of
hot guys
, yes?

Hot guys?

Well, the ones you already know about....

-
Hugh Jackman
- SexiestManAlive. And he's ours!

-
Mel Gibson
, not a true Aussie... born in the USA and spent his formative years there. You can have him back if you want.

-
Russell Crowe
- born in New Zealand but now calls Australia home. He's an Aussie when he wins Oscars. He's a Kiwi when he throws things around in American hotels.

-
Heath Ledger
. Yesterday, today and forever an Aussie.

We have many other hawt men that you haven't heard of. However, beware that some are notorious for having priorities in this order: - beer, football, SHEilas. Also, consider yourself warned that Sydney is the San Francisco of the southern hemisphere, and I'm not talking about the hilly terrain.

The hottest thing about Australia is the climate.

Right now, Melbourne (one of our major cities, known usually for having 4 seasons in one day) is enduring consecutive days of 40 degrees Celsius. Right now it is 43 C, and still climbing. That's 109.4F and still climbing...

Our favorite strawberry fruitcake and rebel belle come to mind. Oh and I think the fans were called queenyboppers. LMAO! Really none of it bothered me cause instead of being said in an insulting way it came across to me as more endearing than anything else. And sorry but some of these actually made me laugh because they are soooo OTT.

OMG, I must be totally insensitive as it never even crossed my mind that "strawberry fruitcake" and "rebel belle" were in any way negative. And, I kind of thought "queenyboppers" was cute.

OMG, I must be totally insensitive as it never even crossed my mind that "strawberry fruitcake" and "rebel belle" were in any way negative. And, I kind of thought "queenyboppers" was cute.

I am partial to Strawberry Fruitcake myself.

heee.. I'm not for sure this is what bothered people..I just had a feelin' <TM the tower guard>

I was so pleased at the tone of her article; I could tell she liked him. I also thought it was a fan, as in "an on the boards" fan. It just seemed so complete. But I guess some people actually do research.

I'm like Fear on this. I wasn't crazy about the name calling either but I didn't think she was using them negatively. I just don't like name calling at all. I respect why she is doing it, with the taking the words back, but I don't understand it. To me, if it was a negative stereotype before, it's still a negative stereotype, doesn't matter if you use it for yourself or not. However, I did think it was a good article overall. Much better than some that have been inflicted on us over the years. And I could tell that she really liked and respected him, which was nice. Wonder if she's listened to OMWH, or how many fans are going to offer to send her a copy.