#47: That's not just any man... That's OUR man! You're a GOOD MAN, Clay Aiken!

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title Poll  

68 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• President Obama needed advice from a Stimulus Package Expert.
    • I will watch with Clay on it. And TIVO it, and wat it multi-times, and in freeze frame.
    • Let's celebrate what's good about him, his music, his philanthropy, his good looks, his great voice, his everything!
    • He was just a singer on a stupid reality show and would disappear like Kaiser Sose!
    • This guy is worth all the love we can bestow on him!
    • What a joy it was to sit right there and watch "naked" Clay singing "naked" songs.
    • Clay is Wicked Awesome!
    • Two words: Aiken Fog.
    • ...phone book...mumble...mumble...
    • Clay Aiken has wicked game
    • 6 years and counting and he's still curling toes.
    • My game is wicked...
    • No matter what Clay says or does, SOMEBODY will get their panties in a wad.
    • He's Clay Aiken. He sneezes in style.
    • Clay Aiken=Me fan Squared to the nth degree for life!
    • He is...therefore I fan.
    • The perfect mix of voice, comedy, and just plain humanity.
    • I never said I wasn't crazy. I just said that I wasn't a Claymate.

As for the heatwave down under, I came across this
and have to admit, I wasn't aware of things like this:
Many older Americans remember the smothering heat of the 1930s, when drought and numerous long heatwaves created what was known as the ‘Dust Bowl’ decade. It destroyed farms throughout the mid-west states, driving farmers from their land and killing nearly 15,000 people in 10 years. Sudden, violent disasters like cyclones and bushfires focus public attention while tortuous heatwaves can affect much larger areas, often leaving a greater, but more scattered, toll. It was in 1900 when a hurricane killed 6,000 in Galveston, Texas, an event often ranked as America’s worst natural disaster. Yet the very next year, in July, a heatwave in the mid-west ultimately cost 9,508 lives. Similarly, Los Angeles region heatwaves resulted in 546 deaths in 1939, 946 in 1955 and 580 again in 1963. Thus, each of these little-remembered events killed more people than the very famous San Francisco earthquake and fire of 1906, which took 452 lives.

Hell, I was working on my degree in public health and this wasn't covered...people need to be careful!

That's pretty staggering stuff, KAndre.

The only possible explanation I can come up with is that bush fires, cyclones, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc all leave very visible destruction, and therefore is more newsworthy. Otherwise, it makes no sense that these stats aren't public knowledge. And having said that, it SHOULD be public knowledge because we, here on the driest continent in the world, need those stats to support the design of homes and buildings that are better suited to this climate.

We KNOW to expect drought conditions like clockwork ... yet for hundreds of years, we didn't educate people about managing a critical resource like water. Things have improved (out of some dire situations) but still there is no law that requires all new houses to have a huge water tank under the house or backyard, that collects rain-water from the roof. This would do two vital things: help reduce the impact of floods and help reduce the impact of drought. The state I live in is called the Sunshine State and has the dubious honor of having the greatest incidence of skin-cancer in the world. Yet there is no law that requires all new houses to install solar power to help reduce the drain on electricity during the worst months of the year. Sometimes common-sense, as they say, isn't very common.

At one time, even in a drought situation, you'd see people watering their gardens with a hose or hosing down their driveway instead of using a broom. Now, it's against the law and you no longer see people washing their car with a running hose on the ground or any of the above-mentioned situations. When it hits their bank-account, they take notice.

MacArthur Park
- in XFactor 2004 (first series), one of the finalists sang this song and Sharon Osbourne (judge) said it was a terrible song and she didn't like because it was about food and should be on the cooking channel!!!!!! I couldn't believe someone with her background in the music industry would take "someone left the cake out in the rain" literally!!

My take is that mushrooms were growing in MacArthur Park.

Well, that's certainly an interesting thought because if you watch this video, you'll see that the contestant whispers what it is about to the host, and she says, "we can't go there...."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsu0R41FwOU

KC and The Sunshine Band

Tu tu tu tu tu tu tu tu tu

oh that's the way aha aha I like it aha aha

That's the way aha aha I like it aha aha

How about "We Built This City on Rock and Roll."

I love that!

(Is it the right decade?)

ETA: AND "Puff the Magic Dragon!"

Oh yeah, ANYTHING by Starship moves to the front of the cheesy list. I closed me eyes and said, Self, what is a song that you always turned off the radio because the lyrics sucked so bad, and the first thing in my mind is ......

The Flame - Cheap Trick

Another night slowly closes in and I feel so lonely

Touching heat freezing on my skin I pretend you still hold me

I'm going crazy, I'm losing sleep

I'm in too far, I'm in way too deep over you

I can't believe you're gone

You were the first, you'll be the last

Wherever you go I'll be with you

Whatever you want I'll give it to you

Whenever you need someone to lay your heart and head upon

Remember after the fire, after all the rain

I will be the flame

I will be the flame

Watching shadows move across the wall feels so fright'ning

I wanna run to you, I wanna call, but I've been hit by lightning

Just can't stand up for falling apart

Can't see through this veil across my heart over you

You'll always be the one

I'm going crazy, I'm losing sleep

I'm in way too deep over you

You'll always be the one

Seriously now, Can't see through this veil across my heart over you may be a candidate for worst line in the history of recorded music not meant to be funny.

I feel like starting a Bernie Taupin Appreciation Day after all this cheese.

I like cheesy songs. They almost always can relate to my present mood in the moment. IMO Mac Arthur Park is one of the worst songs that I have ever heard.

I went to see Milk with Sean Penn yesterday, and I definitely recommend it to anyone who has not seen it. I thought about Clay's coming out situation several times throughout the movie. I can remember the assassination of Milk, but did not know much about the man himself. It brought some distant memories when they showed the boycott of Coors beer, a boycott that I took part in as part of the women's movement in the 1970s. Our boycott was very effective and showed that we had clout. I hope that a lot of people see this movie as IMO it is very relevant and provides a lot of insight as to the struggle of homosexual people just to gain their rightful place in our society. Excellent and insightful movie.

no one nominated any of Clay's love songs?

Nope...didn't even consider any of them.

Kim

Kim

Have to admit he has sung some love songs that can be considered cheesy (Because You Loved Me, anyone?) but his interpretations have never struck me as cheesy.... you know, like Whitney Houston's covering of I Will Always Love You which one should never, ever mention to a Dolly Parton fan because panties will become wadded.

Kim

Have to admit he has sung some love songs that can be considered cheesy (Because You Loved Me, anyone?) but his interpretations have never struck me as cheesy.... you know, like Whitney Houston's covering of I Will Always Love You which one should never, ever mention to a Dolly Parton fan because panties will become wadded.

Totally agree!

Kim

you know, like Whitney Houston's covering of I Will Always Love You which one should never, ever mention to a Dolly Parton fan because panties will become wadded.

Heh, I always regarded Whitney's cover of that as having given it the Star Search treatment, nowadays it would be the American Idol glory-note version!

Yes, she can sing, but Dolly's rendition is so sweet. Sniff!

oooh I love Whitney's verison...of course I love the movie The Bodyguard....sniff I used to really love Kevin Costner, what happened.

Clay does sing some cheesy songs but he takes those songs and turns them into primo top of the line cheese. And what's wrong with cheese, nothing considering the convo the last few days. It's like comfort food.... Clay's voice has the same effect on me. Anyway I don't think MoaM or OMWH are cheesy.. nor are his Xmas songs..I can probably find one or two on ATDW but like I said, primo. Because You Loved Me is a prime example. I totally love how Clay sings that.

Well, I've never thought cheese was a particularly bad thing either... I think it just depends on the doses. Well done cheese-o songs are, like you said, comfort food. Like yummy macaroni and cheese or a grilled cheese sandwich... warm and tasty...

Man, apparently I shouldn't talk about cheesy songs when I'm hungry!! :lol:

I like The Bodyguard too! As much as I like to think of myself as above it, I can't resist movies/stories where the guy saves the girl. Of course, I also love it when the girl saves the guy so... maybe I just like movies where somebody gets saved. Hm. ^_^

ETA: I wish Clay would be in a movie and save somebody... :D Of course, he'd probably get stuck as the witty sidekick... :(

Kim

I like Dolly version better. There is more emotional connection to the song. My grandmother use to play Dolly's songs on the piano.

:Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius:

This just seems right somehow!

someone call PETA

I went to see Milk with Sean Penn yesterday, and I definitely recommend it to anyone who has not seen it.

I saw it, too, and second your recommendation. I've only seen 2 of the Best Picture nominees (Milk and Slumdog Millionaire), and Milk would get my vote.

I'm enjoying the cheesy song discussion. I generally don't enjoy cheesy songs, and Clay has performed plenty, but you know, there's Velveeta and then there's a triple creme Boursault. Clay is primo cheese.

Yay, Smitten! :04:

Smitten... congrats! It is a quaint custom, that of getting paid for work done and I'm glad you are FINALLY getting some... money that is! :cryingwlaughter:

Where is that picture of Clay with the cheese on his head?

These will have to do...

GMA23.jpg

Eyes-Lips-and-Hair.jpg

8856Minn2.jpg

And, some buns to put the cheese you all have been invoking on...

EeyoresAsstoundingCollage.jpg

Clay33-8-082.jpg

Back to work!