#48: He is...therefore I fan.

Couch Tomato

New Thread Title Poll  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What say ye - what's our new thread title?

• I don't ever have a day so gloomy that Clay's smile doesn't make me happy
    • At the end of the day, who cares? Clay is hot. He?d be hotter naked. ?nuff said
    • Ladies and gentleman, the 49th president of the United States and American Idol runner-up, Clay Aiken!
    • FrstlgrglooMmflsgoolce! :heart: scruffy Clay!
    • The Clay Aiken fandom....it's just fun!
    • I am a fan of the man...pure and simple!

sometimes making conversation & wondering about what/where/why Clay is singing songs is interesting to me. I tend to be a curious person. I really found it interesting when he was talking about OMWH & how he liked to choose the songs because of the lyrics.

It's interesting to me too. I wouldn't be here if I didn't like to hear about stuff Clay is doing, possibilities for his future, etc. I don't even mind the shipping stuff as long as it's in fun.

But it becomes a drain when people start getting carried away with their discussions and it suddenly turns into this being pissed off at Clay because he clearly is screwing himself over with all his bad/ignorant/uninformed/listening too much to Jaymes/yada/yada/beat that damn dead horse mantra and he'll never be a S.U.P.E.R.S.T.A.R!!! doncha know? :ninja: I tend to be curious too and in the beginning I loved reading "opinions" until those opinions started getting pissed off at Clay. I want the world to hear the man and for many people to fall in love with his voice too. But I refuse to get upset if it doesn't happen. He appears to be happy. That works for me.

And, tribeca, I know you are just adding your thoughts. Please don't think I'm picking on your comment. It just gave me a jumping off point... ;) OK, time to go see the last dance on Dirty Dancing!

Anyone interested in a Jessica Simpson/Rascal Flatts concert review?

Spike'smom

I was just commenting too. Sometimes I think you can post something about Clay's career that isn't even bad at all and sometimes people take it as an attack on him when it isn't.

But, I remember from the AI boards that certain contestants get bashed a lot on the main board. Usually they are my favorites & sometimes when someone posts something that isn't really negative or bashing you think it is because you have become so use to it. I don't know if that makes sense.

Yes, I am interested in Jessica Simpson/Rascal Flats review

He's just doing in public what many artists do more privately and that is find his place in music. Getting out there on AI when all he'd done is wedding songs and Home Town Connection was great, but it just means he's discovering himself sonically (I like that word) as he goes.

liney, although I THINK I've thought this all alone, I know this is the first time somebody's put it in words in a simple and thorough way that just.makes.sense! :cocktail:

And I had to laugh at someone's post at CH that said something like, "Just once I want Justin Timberlake to be introduced as 'the former Mousekateer'..

:huh:

BWAH! :cryingwlaughter::preachit: :lmaosmiley-1: :hysterical:

I refuse to angst over Clay.

I have enough of my own crap to angst over. I'm sure as hell not going to import crap from someone else.

Where's the RF and JS review? I love RF, and the critics tear those guys up.

Following is the Rascal Flatts concert review, if you're not interested, then scroll on.... :)

OK, so my sister and I went to see Rascal Flatts on Saturday with Jessica Simpson as their opening act. They were in Madison, WI, a little over an hour west of Milwaukee. We couldn't have had a better weekend. Weather was beautiful - Saturday hit a record high (I think it got to low 50 something). I'll skip to the concert, although I will mention if you're ever in Madison, The Nitty Gritty has some great burgers! And it's one short walk to the Kohl Center. And State Street - another short walk from The Doubletree where we stayed (a block from the arena) - was fun - lots of little shops, artsy/funky stuff, college clothing, coffee shops, and the like.

I was especially interested to see Jessica after the hulabaloo about her meltdown performance in Grand Rapids two days earlier. I'm not particularly a fan, but I wouldn't really want to see that happen in person. And if I'm honest, I'm still not particularly a fan - it was hard to understand a lot of what she was singing - although maybe that was the equipment/sound and/or the fact that I didn't know the words either... Probably me not knowing the words as I didn't have a problem later when I knew the words. She didn't sound off-key - she could sing. So it wasn't unpleasing to the ear. And those reports of how fat she is? don't believe them for a minute! If she's fat, I think a lot of women would want to be that kind of fat... really, she wore her Daisy Duke's with knee high boots and a cap sleeve T-shirt. She looked good. Really good. That picture circulating isn't a good one but she doesn't look like that at all! And, of course, she played somewhat to the crowd since Tony Romo hails not too from the Madison area.

On to Rascal Flatts - I don't need a fancy show with lights and fireworks and all that jazz but I will admit, it's impressive! The Kohl Center is an arena facility (used a lot for Wisconsin Badger hockey and basketball). The stage was set up at one end and then there was a fair amount of floor seating - looked like about 30 or so rows and maybe 28 seats or so across. From each side of the stage out to all around the floor seating was a catwalk, so it was a rectangular shape (I assume this would be called a catwalk?). When we entered to get to our seats we had to walk under the catwalk - the floor seating was inside the catwalk. We were in row 22 and the end of the catwalk was probably another eight rows behind us. And we were 5 and 6 seats in from the aisle so we were close to the one side of it. Right behind the back side of the catwalk was a small standing room area. The number of seats on the floor was definitely limited due to the long catwalk.

On stage, we could see this triangular looking contraption up high over the middle of the stage. Yup, that's where they entered. The three of them were on this platform that lowered part way and then the front came down into stairs which they walked down. Heck of an entrance! Kind of made me think of the Solo Tour spaceship only Clay came out from under. And this one rose back up and wasn't used after that. Behind some really tall curtains on the stage was a large circular staircase - looked like the back up singers/dancer types were on there. You only saw their shapes because of the curtain. Used those curtains for projecting some video scenes too.

The concert was very high energy, they did a few ballad type songs but there was quite a lot of uptempo stuff that got the crowd moving. And those boys worked that catwalk - all three of them (and their fiddle player!)! At one point, the lead singer was touching hands right in front of us (well, ok, it was to the side of us). ;) But all three made their way around the catwalk a number of times. They have enough material that they could play a lot of songs that people were familiar with and sing along. And they sounded great live!

The demographic of the crowd ran the gamut. I will say I saw a lot of college age to thirty-somethings. Of course, Madison is a college town and school is in so that might have had something to do with the crowd. Everyone having a great time! My only complaint was the linebacker from the Badger football team and his cowboy hat sitting in front of us! :huh: He was tall and wide!

Encore included those firework blasts at the stage area and tons (and I do mean tons) of confetti and lots of balloons raining down on us.

It was a really good concert. Lots of fun. High energy. Everyone really did seem to be having lots of fun. People leaving the arena were in a great mood!

And that catwalk kicked serious butt. If Clay ever did something like that, any floor seat would totally ROCK. In fact the people sitting in the lower section ended up with great seats when the band used the catwalk as they were right in front of those folks too!

I can only imagine how much it costs them to run this set-up. Lots of stuff to put up/take down (on stage, catwalk, speakers, lights, lots!). They had four guys who had to climb ladders up to the spotlights above the catwalk on both sides (two on each side) and sat up there the whole concert. They must have two sets of semis because they have shows on successive days and I can't imagine that they could do it all in one day.

Oh, and they were very appreciative of how many folks came out considering how tough the economy is. It was very, very close to a sell-out. I only saw two or three sections way at the top at the end that were empty. They made a point of expressing their thanks several times.

If you like them even a little bit and get a chance to see them, definitely go - you will not be sorry. I know I'll go again!

smitten - I didn't notice a lot of funny faces from Jessica, but honestly, I kept looking at her legs in those short shorts and boots... I couldn't get over how good she looked...

wanda - don't believe those damn critics - those guys rocked! And the crowd loved them! It was an outstanding concert!

I refuse to angst over Clay.

I have enough of my own crap to angst over. I'm sure as hell not going to import crap from someone else.

Where's the RF and JS review? I love RF, and the critics tear those guys up.

yup! and they sell like hotcakes! and sell out arenas...EW put them on the worst cd of the year list when they put ATDW on it, and Rascal Flatts laughs all the way to the bank..

crazy critics..

yup! and they sell like hotcakes! and sell out arenas...EW put them on the worst cd of the year list when they put ATDW on it, and Rascal Flatts laughs all the way to the bank..

crazy critics..

If you're interested, they did mention at the concert that their new album comes out April 7.

And sorry Mr/Ms Critics, but all those people at the concerts and buying CDs can't be wrong!

spikesmom

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape

Oh I like that. I have an inherent resistance to change so it's something that I will try to keep in mind.

spikesmom
Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape

Oh I like that. I have an inherent resistance to change so it's something that I will try to keep in mind.

I'm sure someone famous probably said it... LOL. But I first heard it at work. Lots of merging and downsizing going on over the years. And it really helped me keep things in perspective. Hope it helps you too! :hug:

He's just doing in public what many artists do more privately and that is find his place in music. Getting out there on AI when all he'd done is wedding songs and Home Town Connection was great, but it just means he's discovering himself sonically (I like that word) as he goes.

liney, although I THINK I've thought this all alone, I know this is the first time somebody's put it in words in a simple and thorough way that just.makes.sense! :cocktail:

And I had to laugh at someone's post at CH that said something like, "Just once I want Justin Timberlake to be introduced as 'the former Mousekateer'..

:huh:

BWAH! :cryingwlaughter::preachit: :lmaosmiley-1: :hysterical:

They could introduce Justin as the guy who lost on star search

I can't ever find that drink Musifest

seems kind of early to be drinking though (j/k)

And that catwalk kicked serious butt. If Clay ever did something like that, any floor seat would totally ROCK.
He did use the catwalk for one of his tours - Not a Tour?

Yes, I know. Sorry, I should have been more clear. This catwalk went all around the arena - on all four sides of the floor area - a large rectangle - between the floor seating and the first tiered seating. That's what I think would really rock...

And that catwalk kicked serious butt. If Clay ever did something like that, any floor seat would totally ROCK.

Clay used a catwalk (more like a short runway) with Kelly during the IT tour.

But I know of other instances of a catwalk like what spikesmom is talking about -- it's almost like a mosh pit, where the artist goes behind you sometimes.

U2 had a similar setup during it's last tour -- and I loved how they gave away tickets for that section. When your "bought" ticket was scanned at the door, if a special message came up, you (and your ticketmate) were automatically upgraded to that special mosh pit area. No fighting for front row seats, they were technically "given away."

Can you imagine that at a Clay show? Hee.

spikesmom, I LOVE Madison. State Street rocks! There's also a REALLY good German restaurant in that town, called the Essenhaus. Fantastic stuff.

crazy critics..

If you're interested, they did mention at the concert that their new album comes out April 7.

And sorry Mr/Ms Critics, but all those people at the concerts and buying CDs can't be wrong!

I can take em or leave em...I like some of their songs, and dont like some of their songs..I love country music, but I dont like the most popular country artists.. I dont like kenny chesney, keith urban etc, toby keith etc, the people that most everyone loves...but I like Chuck Wicks a lot who isnt a huge seller, but I think he has good music...and other lesser sellers...

but I like some rascal flatts songs..

U2 had a similar setup during it's last tour -- and I loved how they gave away tickets for that section. When your "bought" ticket was scanned at the door, if a special message came up, you (and your ticketmate) were automatically upgraded to that special mosh pit area. No fighting for front row seats, they were technically "given away."

Can you imagine that at a Clay show? Hee.

spikesmom, I LOVE Madison. State Street rocks! There's also a REALLY good German restaurant in that town, called the Essenhaus. Fantastic stuff.

Yes, mosh pit - great way to explain it! Thx.

LOL. I can see the heads exploding now as there would be no way to guarantee being in the front row for every show... that might be entertaining. ;)

Yes, Madison is a fun town. Have you ever been there for a Badgers game? Good gods, it's wild... My sister and I are thinking we'll go back to just hang out and wander around. Might as well explore our own state some more!

You can put me in the "no angst" car (I'm small, just throw me in the trunk, LOL!)...I am just here to have fun and enjoy Clay...when it gets to the point where I am spending more time worrying about Clay's career and life than my own...than it is time to turn in my Clay Aiken fan card.

Listening to ADTW in the car...He totally rocks on Broken Wings...really hope he does that in concert some day!

Kim

A friend of mine went to the New Kids on the Block reunion tour concert

they had something similar with the catwalk. They way people got the up close tickets?

My friend was in the last row, upper section and they were asked if they wanted to sit by the stage. Thought that was so cool. We found out later they did that at other shows.

Yes, I know. Sorry, I should have been more clear. This catwalk went all around the arena - on all four sides of the floor area - a large rectangle - between the floor seating and the first tiered seating. That's what I think would really rock...

During the SRHP or DCAT in Philadelphia, there was a separator low wall between the first 5,0r 6or 10 rows and the rest of the facility. Clay walked around it at least twice. Since we had 2nd row seats we had to turn 360 o to watch him sing. Some people reached up for him but poor Jerome was right there running around the place. :cryingwlaughter:

ETA Thanks FromClayGary, I got the booklet today. I really appreciate it.

During the SRHP or DCAT in Philadelphia, there was a separator low wall between the first 5,0r 6or 10 rows and the rest of the facility. Clay walked around it at least twice. Since we had 2nd row seats we had to turn 360 o to watch him sing. Some people reached up for him but poor Jerome was right there running around the place. :cryingwlaughter:

That's right! I forgot all about that one! So imagine that on a much larger scale... it was really cool. I mean we were 22 rows back - not bad seats at all but at various points, we felt like we were in the second/third row because the guys were so close! It was way cool and made the experience all that much more fun!

That's right! I forgot all about that one! So imagine that on a much larger scale... it was really cool. I mean we were 22 rows back - not bad seats at all but at various points, we felt like we were in the second/third row because the guys were so close! It was way cool and made the experience all that much more fun!

that was fabulous!! I was in the first row behind that catwalk when he walked around it. Wooooooooo Hooooooooo!!!

I remember seeing one person touch Clay's foot, she was on the other side toward the stage. The second time Jerome was right there to prevent it happening again!

Here's

and here's

At about 1:50 in the song, he was right in front of me! There wasn't much clack from that show because of the camera nazis. I had to walk back to my car and put mine away before we went in.

I remember the camera nazis cha cha. One was sitting a seat away from playbiller. I didn't take my camera out but I did act as a shield for Tangerine, I believe it was as she was sitting on one side of me and playbiller was on the other side of me. I kept leaning forward during the concert.

I love RF, and the critics tear those guys up.

And they usually throw in a jab about Gary's spikey hair and weight for good measure.

---

Meh. I accepted a long time ago that some people are just wired to be negative. In the same way that I'm wired not to.

A friend of mine ran a girls fastpitch program that fielded about 20 teams, ages 8-18. The organization maintained it's own indoor practice facility and was considered one of the best in the city. He said that every year a certain percentage of the parents, coaches and girls were going to be unhappy. No matter what he did. He said it took him a long time to learn that and once he accepted it everything was easier to deal with.

I have learned to scroll. :cocktail:

edited to unscrewup my quote thingy's