#51: You go on with your bad self, Mr. Aiken

Thread Title Poll  

62 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA

• Clay is stil around, getting bigger balls, better hair, and broader shoulders.
    • "He doesn't need the spotlight. He just glows."
    • Simon Says: Shut Up And Sing 2 (Learning to keep mah foot outta mah mouth)
    • Clay Aiken: Just like Timex...takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'

Via janfan821 at CV:

Just saw Clay on "30 Rock"promo on NBC. I bet they are going to promo the dickens out of this one! He is the first celebrity shown!
It was part of a promo for their Thursday night lineup -- Earl, The Office, 30 Rock. I looked up just in time to see him. I think his hair was combed down, not it spikes -- but don't hold me to that. His name was on the screen, too. After they showed Clay, they showed Mary J. Blige, Elvis Costello and Sheryl Crow, maybe some others.

It was great!!!!

I can't cap things so maybe someone else can keep an eye out for it in the coming days.

ETA:

Claytonic I really have to take issue with you using the term "baby mama" in reference to Jaymes...I dislike the term and find it pretty offensive to Jaymes...she is Parker's mother.

As for Parker's name; it is common in the south to give your son your Grandmother's last name as a first name. Clay's name Clayton is his Grandmother's Maiden Name.

Link to Youtube promo for 30 Rock; Clay is shown, look quick!

Kim

I think that "baby mama" is one of those terms that are in current use and don't have pejorative meaning. If we take offense, then that's a personal bias, but that doesn't mean that someone using a term that is in common use means to be offensive. I don't find the term remotely offensive, maybe because I'm around young people who use the term quite freely.

Via janfan821 at CV:

Just saw Clay on "30 Rock"promo on NBC. I bet they are going to promo the dickens out of this one! He is the first celebrity shown!
It was part of a promo for their Thursday night lineup -- Earl, The Office, 30 Rock. I looked up just in time to see him. I think his hair was combed down, not it spikes -- but don't hold me to that. His name was on the screen, too. After they showed Clay, they showed Mary J. Blige, Elvis Costello and Sheryl Crow, maybe some others.

It was great!!!!

I can't cap things so maybe someone else can keep an eye out for it in the coming days.

ETA:

Awww, yes, there were no spikes and he was smiling and his shoulder was so broad that it still showed on the next screen. Thanks for bringing that over! :thankyou:

ldyj, sending you good thoughts for tomorrow.

thank god I checked the weather. I was about to pack all wrong.

waves at KAndre..can't wait for your report!!

Pack wrong?!! What do you mean pack wrong? What should we be packing?

*waves wildly at KAndre! Safe travels!*

Claytonic
I really have to take issue with you using the term "baby mama" in reference to Jaymes...I dislike the term and find it pretty offensive to Jaymes...she is Parker's mother.

As for Parker's name; it is common in the south to give your son your Grandmother's last name as a first name. Clay's name Clayton is his Grandmother's Maiden Name.

Link to Youtube promo for 30 Rock; Clay is shown, look quick!

Kim

Honestly, it isn't a term I use in RL because I don't think I have ever heard anyone here use it so far but I KNOW it will be a matter of time before it becomes common place since we get so much American content in our various forms of entertainment. However, I see and hear it all the time online (also baby daddy), in blogs and music forums and at first I thought it meant a mother so young as to be considered a baby herself; indeed that is how it appears in Fantasia's song "Baby Mama" from her first album. Then I saw that usage broadened to simply mean the baby's mother and I am now in a comfort zone with it. I did at first also think it was a little, well, odd and offensive but I no longer do, and I am sorry if it offends you and anyone else but I have come a long way from being an absolute stickler for 'proper' English to simply going with the flow in terms of keeping up to date with communication. For example, at first I was horrified that people were saying "it was so fun" instead of "it was such fun". But you know, common usage dictates language so there is nothing we can do about it and I am trying to be, ahem, current? LOL No offense, truly, aikim, cos boy I sure DO understand where you're coming from and I am very grateful that you mentioned it instead of stewing in silence!

As far as it being offensive to Jaymes (and it could be for all I know), I'd like to add that I've been a fan of Jaymes from the first time I realized she was someone significant in Clay's life, long before Parker was a gleam in anyone's eye. In fact, I was thrilled to bits that she was Parker's mother because for a little while before that, I secretly hoped they were an item and so it's the next best thing I could have hoped for.

I did know that it is customary to give the grandmother's maiden name to the child and that was how 'Clayton' came about, I think I read it in LTS. Indeed, I don't know why people try to think up a middle name for their child instead of simply giving the mother's maiden name to all the kids born to the same woman, it helps to link up kids to their mothers especially in this day where a lot of young people have half siblings. There are also many cultures that have similar naming customs, e.g. Jackson being Son of Jack, and the "de" and "von" we see in European names are all derived from similar naming customs. However, in my experience, a child isn't typically named after a step-parent that one wasn't on good terms with, as was the case with Clay and Ray Parker. I know that Kate Hudson named her child Ryder Russell after her de facto step-dad, but that was because Kurt Russell was really the only father she knew and loved, according to what I have heard her say in interviews, and what I have heard Kurt say about Kate simply confirmed the fact that they are closely bonded as father/daughter. So I felt that the choice of Parker's name had less to do with tradition and more to do with family bonding, since he and Brett have different surnames, and Clay (I suspect) includes Brett's half siblings as part of the family.

Biiiiiig favor, please, for anyone who can!

I'm travelling for business at the moment and ONLY have access to FCA on the business laptop. I'm SO bummed to have to miss the cellcert tomorrow night....PLEEEEEEEEEEZZZZ could the recaps, red notes and highlights be brought over to FCA??

I am planning to listen to the CV Stream and read the board plus I am on the West Coast so I will bring stuff over if nobody else does.

whatever makes you comfortable in 97 degree weather!!

Don't forget a light sweater for the indoor air conditioning! I hate being cold!!!

QUOTE (Scarlett @ May 8 2009, 09:35 PM)

a radio shack in your purse

I second that!!!

Good one tribeca!!

whatever makes you comfortable in 97 degree weather!!

Seriously, couchie, do you even plan to step foot outdoors? :cryingwlaughter:

claylove, I would appreciate it so much if you could do that. :BlowKiss:

{{{ldyj}}} thinking of you today.

I realize that "Baby Mama" has become an acceptable term in our society, but I have just never liked it...guess I am old-fashioned and more conservative, but I prefer just plain old "Mom and Dad". Just because a term is fashionable doesn't mean I am going to use it or like it.

Viva Las Vegas! Everyone have a great time who is going and safe travels! Can't wait for tonight...hope I can stay awake!

5 Days until Clay's Unforgettable Performance on 30 Rock! :yahoo:

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

VIVA

l.gifa.gifs.gifblank.gifv.gife.gifg.gifa.gifs.gif

I'm another one who won't be able to stay up for the cellcert, particularly as I suspect Clay's part won't be on until the end and in West Coast time that's just too late for me. Any and all recaps will be much appreciated!

The last time I tried to listen to a West Coast cellcert was when Clay did David Foster's talent show thingie right before ATDW was released. I wasn't going to listen because of the time difference, but I woke up about 1:30am (my time) and decided to wander out to my laptop in the living room and tune in. The cellcert was very scratchy, but I listened for a bit as I caught up with the posts at the various boards. And then I came across the early link that someone found to AOL First Listen for A Thousand Different Ways. I shut off the cellcert as fast as I could, and listened to the stream of ATDW instead. I very vividly remember sitting on my couch in the dark at 2:30am, and gasping at the very last line of the CD. Good times....

libraryphotos.jpg

So what time (Eastern) do we expect recaps? I won't be staying up all night but I'm up at 5 am so that's 2 am Vegas time. I'm hoping to have lots to read! :clap:

It will be starting about 11:00 p.m. eastern.

Kim

a child isn't typically named after a step-parent that one wasn't on good terms with, as was the case with Clay and Ray Parker.

I think that perhaps some in the fandom who glommed on to every word in LTS as if it was a tell-all autobiography were the ones who were not on good terms with Ray Parker. Clay certainly seemed to be on good terms with him. It is his actual father's funeral he did not attend.

(If my son took my car, without permission and likely without insurance, not caring if an accident could ruin my finances and/or destroy the car and I certainly could not afford another one, I would be tempted to whack him upside the head. Putting me through the stress of thinking the car was stolen or hoping he didn't have an accident before I found him is a crappy disrespectful thing to to do a parent. Or a stranger, for that matter. Just sayin'.)

I do see where baby-mama people are coming from. It just always makes me feel as if Jaymes was just a surrogate or something, so I find it a bit distasteful or sorta silly. Shrug. I never see Clay referred to as Jaymes' or Parker's baby-daddy. Those terms always seemed to imply sperm or egg donor and then absenteeism as far as actually raising the child. I just don't run in those circles, I guess!

Yes I am an old fart, I even hated that Sinatra sang scooby-dooby doo in Strangers in the Night, it still sounds stupid to me, and Sinatra is almost my favorite singer. Some other guy took first place. :-)

I am so anxious about if Clay's TMJ surgery affected his voice that I feel silly. I know he wouldn't appear if there is a problem, I just hope he is okay. I am back to the olden days, where I watched every appearance through my fingers, worried something bad would happen. Ridiculous, I know. But that one missed note at a Christmas concert was heard 'round the world.

11 pm here in Florida is not so bad, it is even before SNL!

Heeee, Couchie, I am following my favorite team in the playoffs - but it seems to be bad luck if I actually watch the game, especially if they are winning when I tune in. So, I just wait until the next day and check the scores. My Team Whose Name Shall Not Be Spoken is doing well, though! At least they are winning so far in the second round - the first time they made the playoffs, the Rockets swept them. The Rockets' fans were even so kind as to bring brooms to the games.

Today is the day mail carriers are taking food donations for the food bank, dunno if that is nation-wide, but it is a good thing to do!

I did know that it is customary to give the grandmother's maiden name to the child and that was how 'Clayton' came about, I think I read it in LTS. <snip> However, in my experience, a child isn't typically named after a step-parent that one wasn't on good terms with, as was the case with Clay and Ray Parker. <snip> So I felt that the choice of Parker's name had less to do with tradition and more to do with family bonding, since he and Brett have different surnames, and Clay (I suspect) includes Brett's half siblings as part of the family.

I could be wrong, but I believe Clay stated in the beginning that Parker's name was a bow to Brett, not his step-dad; I think Clay has long since gotten over his ill-will with Ray, though.

I am planning to listen to the CV Stream and read the board plus I am on the West Coast so I will bring stuff over if nobody else does.

:clap::BlowKiss: THANKS so much!!

(If my son took my car, without permission and likely without insurance, not caring if an accident could ruin my finances and/or destroy the car and I certainly could not afford another one, I would be tempted to whack him upside the head. Putting me through the stress of thinking the car was stolen or hoping he didn't have an accident before I found him is a crappy disrespectful thing to to do a parent. Or a stranger, for that matter. Just sayin'.)

Well....just to help clarify....it was NOT Ray's car, it was Clay's....I'll grant you the "without insurance"; indeed not smart. "Certainly could not afford another one" absolutely is untrue. I have no clue where people get the impression the family were the proverbial church mice; that is patently not true. As Ray had no opportunity to think the car was stolen OR hope he didn't have an accident before seeing the vehicle at the mall, there was no Ray-angst involved.

And I would certainly hope that your temptation to whack him upside the head wouldn't turn into the public assault that happened that day. That's just wrong. Noone deserves that.

Having said all that....

I don't think Clay holds a grudge against Mr. Parker to this day, like some fans do (not me).

a child isn't typically named after a step-parent that one wasn't on good terms with, as was the case with Clay and Ray Parker.

I think that perhaps some in the fandom who glommed on to every word in LTS as if it was a tell-all autobiography were the ones who were not on good terms with Ray Parker. Clay certainly seemed to be on good terms with him. It is his actual father's funeral he did not attend.

That incident about the 'car stealing' you mention isn't what influenced my views on the relationship between Ray and Clay.

Here's what immediately comes to mind:

Faye told Clay that Ray was the type of man who could only love his biological children.

Clay said that Ray would send him to his room to clean it up, then Ray would mess it up, throw stuff on the floor and make Clay clean up again. And then yet again.
That's child abuse
in my mind. Even Brett, as young as he was at that time, told his father he wasn't being fair.

On the last Father's Day when Ray knew he was dying, he called all the members of his family, one by one into his room to say goodbye.
Clay was the only one NOT called into the room
. That's emotional abuse.

Clay said at one point he knew he wasn't wanted by his step-father, he said that kids instinctively know.

Then there was the time when Ray bought a convertible for his daughter, and Clay was really excited because Ray said the whole family was going for a ride. But Ray wouldn't allow Clay to go with the rest of the family, he made Clay stay home and clean the freezer while the rest of them went out.

That's just SOME of it. Nothing will convince me that Clay felt loved and accepted by his step-father when at the age of 24 or 25, he wrote a book that devoted passages describing the hurt and rejection he felt from his step-father.

Until the day Clay suddenly confesses that in fact, he didn't write those words and it never happened that way, and that he allowed those false stories to be used to make the book a best-seller, I will never change my mind about Ray Parker. But I don't believe Clay would ever have approved of those stories going into print just for sensational value, he loves his brother, Ray's son, too much for that. That, and his integrity.

I do see where baby-mama people are coming from. It just always makes me feel as if Jaymes was just a surrogate or something, so I find it a bit distasteful or sorta silly. Shrug. I never see Clay referred to as Jaymes' or Parker's baby-daddy. Those terms always seemed to imply sperm or egg donor and then absenteeism as far as actually raising the child. I just don't run in those circles, I guess!

Everyone has their own interpretation of terms used and whatever comfort or discomfort they feel, they need to own, especially when no offense is intended.

I personally do not punctuate my conversations with expletives, it's not something I feel comfortable doing. However, there are many people who DO feel comfortable using the F word in every other sentence. I am never offended by it because it is just part of their personality, everyone has their little idiosyncrasies that make them unique. I have to admit there was a time when I did feel offended when someone used expletives in my presence, until I realized that I needed to stop being so precious. I only take offense when it is deliberately loaded and targeted. Otherwise, it is just someone being who they are, and that's a lot more acceptable to me than someone pretending to be something they are NOT.

While I believe in 'political correctness' in certain matters because they make a difference in terms of improved social awareness, I just would like to feel free about how I express my feelings when I don't mean any harm to anyone.

There are always two sides to every story and in LTS we got bits and pieces of stories from Clay's point of view which he may or may not have embellished for effect. Unfortunately Ray is not here to defend himself or present his side of things...so I hesitate to judge...we all have different parenting techniques based on our family upbringing; where we were raised and the culture of the area of the country...even your religious upbringing...I would never want someone judging my parenting and I can't imagine my kids writing a book about their childhood for the whole world to see...must have been difficult for Faye.

Clay also said that in LTS he regretted that his relationship with Ray wasn't better and he also took some responsibility for that...he said in the end he realized that Ray did the best he could and it could have been if they both worked at it...amazing that he was able to forgive Ray and not be bitter and angry.

Talking about embellishing...when my sisters and I were kids I remember one day when my Mom was trying to iron and we were just getting underfoot and just being obnoxious and she finally had enough and told us to go out side and sit on the porch until our Dad got home from work...we were probably out there all of ten minutes. Well, that story got told over and over again until in the final telling it was a cold January day, Mom was mad at us and kicked us outside with no coats, locked the door and we all sat there on the porch shivering and freezing for an hour until my Dad got home. Now, anyone hearing that story would immediately think "child abuse" and what a horrible mother we had. If I was writing a book and wanted to make an impact, I think the revised version would achieve that more than what really happened.

Not downplaying Clay's childhood...it was horrific, no doubt...but without all the facts and without all sides of the stories...I can't make judgments.

Clay also said that in LTS
he regretted that his relationship with Ray wasn't better and he also took some responsibility for that..
.he said in the end he realized that Ray did the best he could and it could have been if they both worked at it...amazing that he was able to forgive Ray and not be bitter and angry.

I thought Clay was very generous in his attitude, too generous as far as I am concerned. After all, he was the child without any power. Ray was the adult in that relationship.

While I agree that everyone remembers incidents differently, I don't believe he could have repeatedly had it so wrong with every recount. That book surely would have hurt Brett and Faye in some way, after all, they both loved Ray deeply. I cannot imagine for one moment that Clay would deliberately embellish stories like that, compromising his brother and mother for the sake of book sales. It's one thing to sensationalize say, an event at a prom, but this stuff we are talking about is far too serious to dismiss as unsubstantiated. Would Faye have allowed Clay to say in his book that she told him Ray wasn't capable of loving child that wasn't his own? I hope not.

Clay also said that in LTS
he regretted that his relationship with Ray wasn't better and he also took some responsibility for that..
.he said in the end he realized that Ray did the best he could and it could have been if they both worked at it...amazing that he was able to forgive Ray and not be bitter and angry.

I thought Clay was very generous in his attitude, too generous as far as I am concerned. After all, he was the child without any power. Ray was the adult in that relationship.

While I agree that everyone remembers incidents differently, I don't believe he could have repeatedly had it so wrong with every recount. That book surely would have hurt Brett and Faye in some way, after all, they both loved Ray deeply. I cannot imagine for one moment that Clay would deliberately embellish stories like that, compromising his brother and mother for the sake of book sales. It's one thing to sensationalize say, an event at a prom, but this stuff we are talking about is far too serious to dismiss as unsubstantiated. Would Faye have allowed Clay to say in his book that she told him Ray wasn't capable of loving child that wasn't his own? I hope not.

All I am saying is that when I read the book, the stories sounded incomplete to me...I didn't say they were wrong, just that I think details were left out...the book does have a bit of a disjointed feel to it...I don't think it was edited very well. Clay said in an interview that he had to apologize to Diane Bubel regarding things said about Mike that were not true...I am pretty sure it was the passage where Clay implied Mike had not been socialized and apparently that had not been true.

Kim