#51: You go on with your bad self, Mr. Aiken

Thread Title Poll  

62 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA

• Clay is stil around, getting bigger balls, better hair, and broader shoulders.
    • "He doesn't need the spotlight. He just glows."
    • Simon Says: Shut Up And Sing 2 (Learning to keep mah foot outta mah mouth)
    • Clay Aiken: Just like Timex...takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'

Thank you SO much to claylove and merrieeee and everyone else transferring moments from the other boards and relaying the cellstream for us...you made my night!

I was out tonight playing (well not really playing - I really did mean it!) the good DIL with mrchach's mother. We took her to our favorite Crab House in MD, and then we went to see Star Trek! <snip>

My MIL turned down her hearing aid and took a little nap! :cryingwlaughter:

So, OK, I'll bite....was that Mr Chach's Mother's Day gift, or your MIL's?? :cryingwlaughter:

Home sweet home!

I had to catch up first. So glad to hear Clay's voice again. I know there was Spam but still.. it was just good to see him on a stage and to hear that laugh. Tour Clay is my favorite Clay and I really miss it. I thought he looked great. I didn't have the best seats so had to rely on the jumbo tron. I loved You're my inspiration most...have always loved that song. I'm glad there was a clear cell stream. And the little elf looks serious and busy across the room. I think the show ran long with the surprises so we didn't get Unchained Melody but it's totally understandable but he was part of the encore which I can't wait to see again cuz the jumbo tron didn't stay focused where I wanted it to be :cryingwlaughter: .

Eeeeeeh, a recap from couchie!!! Pick me up from the floor :lol: !!

Oh, man, I'm so sorry I had to miss that!! Thanks for the recap...but can you tell me what you mean by the bolded? Clay looked like a little elf?? :huh:

Thanks to everyone as well for all the links! Can't WAIT to get home on Tuesday to download.

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers!!! I came home from work last night with a dozen pink roses on my kitchen table. I had a hard time at work yesterday evening at the hospital and it was great to see those flowers.

Almost forgot!!

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to everyone who has been, or is....someone's Mother! (including the doggie and kitty Moms)

I don't get to celebrate cuz I have to work today....but hope you all have a wonderful one!

Happy Mother's Day to you too, I also am working this afternoon. Lunch is being made by my eldest son! He'll make a fine husband someday!

Thanks to claylove and merrieeee for bringing the red!!! :BlowKiss:

Double thanks to Scarlett (and artquest for giving her the better clack seat) for the fantastic clack!!! :BlowKiss::BlowKiss:

What a great Mother's Day present to start the day with!!! :clap:

{{{{{beryl}}}}} Thanks for sharing!

couchie... that was a great recap! :clap: Did it hurt??? :cryingwlaughter:

Happy Mother's Day, everyone who is one!!!

That Star Trek movie sounds like a good one. I may actually go see it. :cryingwlaughter: I'm not a movie goer. I prefer to get the DVD and watch where I can control the sound and push pause when I need/want to. :cryingwlaughter:

I watched video of Obama's speech last night. He done good. I laughed out loud several places and it seemed like only one or two jokes bombed, so that's a good record.

Breakfast... then off to work. :cry4:

Oh, man, I'm so sorry I had to miss that!! Thanks for the recap...but can you tell me what you mean by the bolded? Clay looked like a little elf?? :huh:

That's funny! But, I think she means her elfin and very talented roomie.

And THANK YOU Miss Talented Elfin Roomie of Couchie's for the wonderful CLACK!!!

As far as the show goes -- I think Clay would have been my only thrill of the night -- and just because it's Clay singing (and looking fabulous BTW!) But of course this isn't my kind of show (yeah since I never even heard of David Foster or most of these songs until the past few years). Brian McKnight? Never heard of him. The Chicago medley that Clay sang -- didn't know any of those songs -- and didn't see the Karate Kid movies. I liked some Chicago in the 70's, but when they moved over to ezeelite, I lost track of them. Never was on the trail of Donnie Osmond -- and didn't watch his TV show. If I ever liked Paul Anka -- and I think I may have at one time when I was 10 -- that ended when he sang that "Having My Baby" song. That constituted a lifetime disqualification. Then when he wrote that utterly self-indulgent song Sinatra sang -- and Sinatra's music was pure lounge lizard to me -- well you get the picture. If I were designing a medley of Chicago tunes it would include stuff like I've Been Searchin' So Long (To Find an Answer!) -- Free -- If You Leave Me Now. Those are songs I can deal with. I need something with at least a tiny bite to it!

Sometimes I feel really out of the mainstream of this fandom -- if there is a mainstream (?). I just never liked pop unless it really POPPED! And Clay totally pops for me. He's just got it going on in a place where nobody else is in the frequency.

Happy Mother's Day! We're going to my Mother's favorite restaurant for her favorite stuffed shrimp. And everyone will rave about the seafood. While I again order the chicken. Dammit!

Stuck at the airport - flight delayed. Oh well..at least the internet is free.

The one thing that cracked me up last night was David saying if he could sing that great he wouldn't need these guys. I thought that was hilarious. More than missing the song I was curious about what he was going to say about Clay/Jaymes. I had that feeling..but then he said later. and then later didn't happen. I know my roomie got the final song. Thought it was great actually. Don't remember hearing it before. I think he said he wrote it for Oprah's show for the inauguration show but I haven't seen Oprah in years. Anyway, I need to go find a plug. Don't know how long the battery life is on this thing. ok 80% remaining.

Scarlett and I were cracking up watching CNN and Obama's comedy routine. I think the one that made me laugh the most was about Sasha and Malia being grounded for taking Air Force One on a joy ride over NYC. And Hillary and him going from rivals to friends and how hard she hugged him when she returned recently from Mexico. We came in in the middle but I'm sure it's on you tube. I wonder if they have to apologize in advance for the jokes they tell. Poor Joe Biden. heh.

Two of my daughters gave me two new rose bushes for Mother's Day so hubby is outside planting them...what did I get from him...a card and the dirt to plant the bushes...he is such a romantic!

The roses are beautiful one is pink and one is white with pink on the inside...I have roses in front of my house and these are being planted on the side of the house.

Now just waiting to hear from the other two daughters.

Finally watched Scarlett's clack...he was wonderful...only think it seemed like as soon as he started getting into a song...it ended..I kept waiting for him to hop off that stool and really let go...I wonder if that was a little frustrating for him...it was for me!

I have really missed hearing him sing and am so ready for a concert.

Thanks to all who provided the clack!

Kim

my flight was scheduled for 8:10. Then it said 9:15. I just overheard the lady talking and my plane hasn't even left Phoenix yet. Heee. I guess I will be spending mother's day working, while sitting on the floor of the Las Vegas airport. Thank GOD I brought my computer -- almost left it at home.

so sorry...it's not all about me.

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms. What you do is so special. It takes such patience and heart.

Sometimes I feel really out of the mainstream of this fandom -- if there is a mainstream (?).

Nope. No mainstream whatsoever.

I love all of Paul Anka's songs except for those two you mentioned, and I absolutely adore Frank Sinatra.

I cannot stand Chicago. Just blaring noisily away, to me.

I am fairly sure that not many here love Portuguese fado music, but I do.

When this fandom started, there were those who thought the "Clorilla" could have other singers/stuff marketed to it en masse. Nah. Not unless it is Clay stuff. And we are pretty picky and watchful about Clay stuff, too. Anything illegal on ebay gets reported, for instance.

Just downloaded Scarlett's clack - FIOS makes quick work of that.

He looks and sounds wonderful. And yes, he does light up the stage, and the room, or anywhere he is appearing.

"Ease" is maybe what strikes me when I see him.

Thank you, Scarlett!!!!! and Couchie, thanks for the commentary!!!!!

Hmmmmm, my childhood was sadder and more grim and violent than anything I have read here or anywhere (Angela's Ashes comes to mind), but it is funny how different people process things - I never give it much thought, and I mostly remember thinking I would eventually get out, and I did! So I won, really, and don't give a flip if anyone else in my family remembers much. My sister still chews over some of it. Which is fine, except when she is still using kitchen table analysis to explain things. If I can blame stuff on my parents, then they can blame stuff on THEIR parents, and so it goes. I am here now, I don't care. Like Couchie said, paraphrased, they are dead and I am happy.

Not as happy as Clay, for sure, but happy.

Heeee.....it used to be hard to buy a card that didn't sound sarcastic.

That's the funny thing about trying to analyze people you don't really know - even sisters who lived through the same storm see things differently, plus no one ever ever really knows what anyone else is thinking, they just know what they would think if they were that person, which is different filters entirely.

Happy mother's day to all who qualify in any way, shape, or form - ya don't need to bear a child to nurture someone else - I went to Barnes and Noble early today and got yet another Feng Shui thingy, this one has a compass. So I will spend the rest of the day walking around and pretending to evaluate stuff and drive my son crazy wondering if I am crazy.

He will eventually ask me if there is anything he can do around the house - this year I want a Moroccan arch to separate my bedroom from the closet and bathroom area, and I will go and get the plywood for it. (He loves making arches, if we had the money my home would look like a Moroccan monastery. Yes I know there is no such thing. :-O)

Good times!!!

I missed much of Obama, but Wanda was funny, once she got going, it looked to me like she was tentative and then thought oh what the hell. go for it! Her Leno rant about the bailout is also hilarious, and her stand-up routine about Bill Clinton's impeachment is fabulous.

She is one of my girl crushes, and has been from the first time I ever saw her on TV.

It was interesting to see all the assorted invited guests, I think there are no "messages" being sent, just maybe messing with minds at most.

Daughter number 3 just checked in and brought me a yellow mum...my garden is going to look very pretty...now waiting for daughter number 4!

Kim

Thank you Scarlett for the great Clack. It was a nice surprise to find it waiting this morning.

How great it is to see OMC looking so relaxed and happy and singing again.

Butterflyshine at OFC posted that she had a voice mail on her phone of UM and it was incredible.

If anyone knows how she can get it off her phone and into an MP3 that can be posted, for the sake of us all, please let her know.

From Oldmoviegal at CH

Quick report, tapped out on my iPod...I missed the show because I was at Donny & Marie, so was glad to read about it this morn. I was at the dinner tho, and when I saw Jerome at about 12:30, my heart almost stopped for a minute! The crowd at RM Seafood was mostly serious foodies but the word was that the show was amazing, and tho I didn't want too get too gushy asking about Clay, people were quite complimentary about him across the board.

Late in the night, people started going up to the piano ans singing. Brian McN was good, there were some people I didn't recognize. Rick Moonen (owner of RM) said that David was grabbing a bite to eat -- and eventually he arrived & played the theme from St. Elmos Fire and then led a crowd singalong of Hard To Say I'm Sorry. Then he said, Wheres Clay, get Clay up here, I want him to sing. Crowd roared, and within a minute there he was!

I was right in front about four feet away -- almost blindingly gorgeous, black jacket white shirt tie and what looked like jeans. Hair unspiked. David started playing UM and Clay asked him, What key are you in. Then proceeded to sing a flawless, gorgeous version of song. I got no clack, sorry to say, but lots of people had cameras so maybe one of them was a fan. Anyway, near end of song, David kept playing and Clay said to him as an aside, I just sang the last verse, so I think I'm done! And just like that, he was gone.

Like I said, crowd of mostly food types, but there was serious excitement for Clay, and he got a huge ovation. Even when David first appeared, he got a nice response. But with Clay it was a roar, serious electricity, lots of people crowding into the small space to watch him. Total star treatment, and he totally delivered. Looked and sounded magnificent.

More details when I'm back home on Tuesday night, but as ted to report from (literally) the front line. Excellent experience! Can't wait to see the stuff from the show!

So sorry your flight was delayed, couchie! *I was too sleepy to suggest that you call PerusingOne before leaving -- she could have told you where your airplane was coming from and whether or not it had already left*

Thanks again, FCA, for all the good luck wishes. I'm uploading America directly to Evangeline -- lots of cute Clay parts in it!

Artquest and I were saying last night that we so miss doing this. It was wonderful to once again have a taste of what we enjoyed throughout these years -- the announcement, the frenzied ticket-buying, the angst, the ticketmaster snafus, the websites we took down (they never learn), then the day of the show arrives and there's the pre-show excitement, pre-concert gatherings, more stress & anxiety about getting into the venue on time and with all our "stuff", finding seats, swapping & re-swapping & upgrading, checking out phones and testing cellcert connections, and then... just watching him on that stage doing what he's meant to do, looking and sounding better than he ever did before (I swear, each concert I think he improves something!), pure bliss for those few choice minutes... and it's over all too soon, especially last night... and then re-living the concert by telling & re-telling it with friends and downloading Clack...recaps and recap rebuttals.... until the next one. I hope it won't be too long before we can do this again. I so loved being there last night but we need more!!!

Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms out there! And Happy Mother's Day to the Moms of all the FCAers for without them, we wouldn't have this great group of folks here! I don't post often, but read every day. This is a great place and I would really miss it if it didn't exist! {{{{FCAers}}}}

I was off on Friday so my son and I spent part of the afternoon together. Went to lunch at our favorite sushi place and just enjoyed each others company. He still lives at home but he's so busy with his own life now (part-time school, a full time job and a part time job) that any one-on-one time I can get is a gift.

I managed to catch part of the excitement last night but missed some. So off to download the clack!

Oh Scarlett the whole experience sounds wonderful and all too brief.

How easy was it to upgraded your tickets? I'm curious, never having had that experience.

And from CV and dancermom

Cotton said she got Clack of UM but she can't get it to us until Tuesday. I just talked to Butterflyshine about how to get her voice mail cert up...but she is going to celebrate Mother's Day with her mom so it won't be for a while. So it's not lost like Sarah or Ashes on Kimmel.

even sisters who lived through the same storm see things differently

This is so true of me and my siblings. We have all reacted differently to our childhoods. My brother who bore the brunt sorta did the get everything out on the table about what you did route and he still communicates. I see my dad at weddings and funerals and then I avoid him as much as possible. I don't feel deprived and I don't feel bitter or even angry anymore -- hell it's been 20 years since I felt that way. it's just better for me - sorta the I survived you - good luck I wish you well. And my sister is the main one that keeps tab on him to make sure he is ok. And her kids and my brother's kids LOVE LOVE LOVE their grandpop.He brings them presents and brings over his keyboard and sings with them. They're happy. I have no problem with that whatsoever and am kinda happy for him that he has that instead of the full family he could have had.

Plane still in Phoenix. back to work. I guess I won't be cooking the mother's day meal after all...which means my sister will be so that means we're having spaghetti. hee.

10:20 arrival is the estimate... so should be in San Jose by 11:30. Not too bad.

Oh Scarlett the whole experience sounds wonderful and all too brief.

How easy was it to upgraded your tickets? I'm curious, never having had that experience.

Lotus, in last night's case Artquest gave up her better seat so that I could take clack. Upgrading comes in many ways, different every time and often with total strangers. There were people selling Row B tickets outside the venue (they were in the tiers but they seemed too low for the stage and possibly vulnerable for clack)

For any Clay Aiken show, I consider a ticket as "getting my foot in the door"; my minimum requirement is to be in the house and to hear him sing -- but Clay Nation has always come through every single time.

ETA: Getty link

Scarlett - thank you so much for your video! I'm loving it on my iTouch!!! It's so much fun to be able to take him with me wherever I go now!! THANKS!!!

He looked and sounded great!!!

{{{{{beryl}}}}} - thank you so much for sharing your story. I see a few similarities in your story which parallel my own life. Mother abadoned us when I was 8, moved with bro&sis to relatives with father, bro&sis were very mean to me and I spent a lot of time on the farm all alone, feeling neglected. The relatives weren't terribly mean to me but favored my siblings and made me work (when they could) but I was a rebel. Later years would leave me dealing with all the scars and circumstances from being a rebel. My father died when I was 15 giving me more feelings of abandonment. I lucked out and found a good man and have some lovely kids (who are coming over soon!) My sister has admitted she was mean to me, my brother has mellowed a bit but being the oldest still feels entitled to respect he doesn't deserve. He's a butthead. (to put it mildly!) :cryingwlaughter:

LOVE THE CLACK FROM LAST NIGHT!

:thankyou:Scarlett, and Yollie, and everyone else for the red updates last night.

All were greatly appreciated!

Just want to mention that years ago, some thought they could go to the box office and trade their tickets in for better ones, thus "upgrading".

Nope. Like Scarlett says, upgrading is usually getting or buying or trading better tickets from others, and then selling/passing on the tickets you had.

Something funny that has happened to me and others is that when the concert is about to start, and floor seats or better seats have been scored, it is surprisingly difficult at times to "Clay forward" the unused tickets, people think you are tricking them somehow.

I have gone to people in the very highest row in an arena, just to give them tickets I am not going to use, and been turned down by the first one or two people I offer them to. Even when I said hey it is not like I am asking you for the tickets you already have!