#51: You go on with your bad self, Mr. Aiken

Thread Title Poll  

62 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA

• Clay is stil around, getting bigger balls, better hair, and broader shoulders.
    • "He doesn't need the spotlight. He just glows."
    • Simon Says: Shut Up And Sing 2 (Learning to keep mah foot outta mah mouth)
    • Clay Aiken: Just like Timex...takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'

I think it means You Know Who, and the implication seems to be that it was Clay.

Gotta say doubties on that. I would find it hard to believe something like that would not be all over the news.

Well, okay, you heard it here second!!!!

I don't think Clay needs to be told to "shut up and sing" - it is merely up to each of us whether we want to listen.

Forming an opinion after one listen? I do that all the time, if I have no real interest. I don't think Clay is all that interested in the ongoing saga of AI or putting time into listening to the contestants.

In fact, I do disagree with him that millions of people are so thoughty as to vote rebelliously and to send some sort of message. It is just a TV show.

Huh. I knew he had long legs, but that is kinda scary.

:hahaha:

So does 'twittering' something automatically make it so? Is there any kind of accountablility whatsoever? Could I just say 'Clay is in my back room right now vacuuming' and it would be taken as gospel? I'm seriously asking a question here (wouldn't know a Twitter if it bit me on my ass).

Shut up and sing? That hasn't been part of the Clay Aiken deal for a long, long time, if it ever was. It's incredible to me that so many people who beat the 'freedom of speech' drum when it comes to expressing their considered opinions on Clay are the first to say he should shut up. It would be laughable if it weren't just so damn sad.

Thanks for expressing what I was bursting to say but was too pissed to string the words together.

So does 'twittering' something automatically make it so? Is there any kind of accountablility whatsoever? Could I just say 'Clay is in my back room right now vacuuming' and it would be taken as gospel? I'm seriously asking a question here (wouldn't know a Twitter if it bit me on my ass).

In a word, yes. :) AFAIK anyways.

Steve Dahl twittered the AI Clay story and wrote about it in his blog. A comment by someone named Janet clarifies that she was the source of the information and that she did not tell Dahl the time line of the story. Just more ass hat ravings from unchecked sources.

The "shut up and sing" was said in jest....nobody's telling Clay to shut up. It's an expression meaning...Alrighty then, Clay! Thanks for your opinion! Now...when are ya gonna sing to meeeeeeeeeeeee? :lilredani:

Good God. My comment was to Clay's seeming PERSONAL assessment of a guy he's never met, based on his happening to listen to him sing one song. Nobody's going to tell Clay to shut up and shouldn't.

It's incredible to me that so many people who beat the 'freedom of speech' drum when it comes to expressing their considered opinions on Clay are the first to say he should shut up. It would be laughable if it weren't just so damn sad.

First cindilu (and Claymatron), who are these "so many people" of whom you speak? Me (that's one)? My friend that I alluded to (that's two)?

Seems to me that you've grabbed the 'shut up' from my post (did you read the whole thing?) and gotten back on a horse that I was wrong to think had been put to pasture.

This part of your post I DO agree with:

It would be laughable if it weren't just so damn sad.

Can't say I didn't give it the ole' college try, though. See ya, folks.

No, muskifest, I am not only referring to you and your friend. The Clayboard and the OFC threads both have similar opinions expressed. And NOT in a joking, I wanna hear him sing way. (Which isn't how the line, taken on its own, as posted here without that context, reads. Not to me anyway. I'm sorry if that isn't how you meant it). I did indeed read the whole post (and agreed with the beginning of it, in the beginning of mine. Did you miss that?)

It's just beyond ironic to me that people who are posting how he should shut up (and/or sing) are, in the same breath, defending their right to say it. You know?

Huffington Post

This is a fuuny take on Idol.

Favorite line from that commentary:

The cardinal rule of show business: You never replace Curly with Shemp if Curly is still alive. :hahaha:

That's a keeper for me!

I've been preoccupied for a couple of days, did watch part of AI late last night that my DIL had DVR'd. She really loves Danny. She told my son that she's fallen for another man! And once Danny was voted out, she didn't vote, didn't care, doesn't care. It's just Danny Gokey for her. My son liked Adam because, as I said before, he sings like the dude from Judas Priest.

Adam seems to be a manufactured sensation, but having been through the rock years, I see him as a throwback of times gone by. I don't really see much in the way of a Kiss Revival in the immediate future (disclosure: I've actively and vocally disliked Kiss since ... about 1975). When's the last time they made the radio?? And, Queen? Help me, Jesus. If anything, last night proved that Adam can sing on key and scream at an incredible range, but he's not in the same league to be compared to the great Freddie Mercury. This is just me, but Adam is to Freddie Mercury as Taylor Hicks is to Ray Charles.

Okay, so you're thinking, was this bitch impressed with ANYTHING last night? Yeah I was.

But it certainly wasn't Rod Stewart. Good God -- put him out of his misery, PLEASE!

And it wasn't Queen Latifah. I'm a fan of hers, but, strangely, I think the other girl outsang her last night.

Kris and Keith Urban did nothing for me. Nada. Kiss A Girl or whatever that song was is BORING!

Cyndi Lauper and Allison were good. Cyndi looked and sounded great.

Danny and Lionel Richey had a nice blend of voices. Danny does raspy very well, and I usually don't like raspy so much.

But the best of the night for me, and if you knew me you wouldn't be surprised at this ... was Carlos Santana. I LOVE HIM!!!

I talked to my 86-year-old mother this morning and she proceeded to tell me that she watched the finale last night after not having watched one show during the regular season. I asked her what she thought, and here's verbatim what she said to me ..... "That show really has gone down, hasn't it." (My mother has been a fan of Clay, Ruben, Taylor, and Elliott)

I think it's so so sad that people would start up with "the Christians vs. the Gays" on this. I just don't believe that at all. I believe there were as many Christians voting for Adam as gays voting for Kris, and vice versa. I was on a political board this morning and there were several angry threads in the GLBT forum blaming a Christian voting bloc for Adam losing, while at the same time some of the same posters were beating the drums for all GLBTs to vote for Adam all season -- even if they had never heard him sing. It cuts both ways, and both ways disgust me. Just shoot me if the day ever comes when I prefer a singer or musician because he's straight, gay, pagan or pentecostal. Really, just put one neatly behind my right ear because I'd rather be at peace than that screwed in the head to have an agenda about music.

No, muskifest, I am not only referring to you and your friend. The Clayboard and the OFC thread both have similar opinions expressed. And NOT in a joking, I wanna hear him sing way. (Which isn't how the line, taken on its own, as posted here, reads. Not to me anyway). I did indeed read the whole post (and agreed with the beginning of it, in the beginning of mine. Did you miss that?)

It's just beyond ironic to me that people who are posting how he should shut up (and/or sing) are, in the same breath, defending their right to say it. You know?

It's probably the same ones who complained that he didn't blog enough!

Oh my gosh. I mean, they threw Clay all the way to France? Got some good hang-time, eh?

*snort*

No, muskifest, I am not only referring to you and your friend. The Clayboard and the OFC thread both have similar opinions expressed. And NOT in a joking, I wanna hear him sing way. (Which isn't how the line, taken on its own, as posted here, reads. Not to me anyway). I did indeed read the whole post (and agreed with the beginning of it, in the beginning of mine. Did you miss that?)

It's probably the same ones who complained that he didn't blog enough!

Yep.

Yes, there are lots of Christians with open minds and big hearts who are anything but bigots, but the situation that developed regarding Proposition 8 is enough to convince me that there was enough homophobia across the board voting against the idea of a gay American Idol. "We" aren't as tolerant as "we" would like to believe. JMO

On a brighter note, even if Adam is not your thing, if you have a good ear for vocal music and accents, give this a chance:

Adam Lambert at age 22

Come to Me, Bend to Me - Brigadoon

My comment wasn't directed at you, personally, either, muski. Just a general feeling of pissiness at some fan reactions on the boards that Clay shouldn't express his opinion, especially when it conflicted with theirs, and he should stick to singing. Agreed, probably the same people who complained that he never blogs and they weren't getting their money's worth on the OFC. Sigh!

Sneaks in....drops off tidbit....sneaks out...

yesterday Reed changed his facebook to:

Reed Kelly is id(o)ling in Paris on a beautiful day!

Kim

Snakes? Bwahahahah! Boyfriend might be afraid of snakes but he sure isn't afraid of much else. Our thread title has never seemed more appropriate! No doubt it will bite him on the ass somehow, but then again, what doesn't? So yeah, you go on with your bad self, Mr. Aiken!

cindi... :yeahthat:

Just read this over on CV. Perhaps he really is in France? And here I thought you guys were just having fun with it .... :P

Just dropping in to give a WRAL report. Bill and Lynda were talking about Idol and Bill mentioned that conspicuously missing from the Idol alumni were Clay and Kelly Clarkson. Lynda went onto add that Clay was going to talk to them but he was out of the country so I guess that explains why he was up blogging at 3am! :polishnails:

luckiest.... I believe, I believe they are together and loving it and each other. Awwww!!!

I agree with everything Clay said about the SHOW and the role of the judges.

I'm pretty disappointed at the way he formed an opinion of Adam based on the one song he just 'happened' to tune in to hear (Hell, even Simon had a WTF after "Ring of Fire"!)...I'd like to ask Clay if he'd appreciate someone coming up with pretty harsh descriptive adjectives about him and his singing if they'd only 'happened' to see and hear a YouTube of his Waukegan "All Is Well".

It's fine to conclude that Adam's STYLE might not be his cuppa after just one exposure, but to make any assessments of whether he is 'nice' or 'arrogant' or other strong character markers from how the SHOW pimped him is...well, to me it's rather like judging without knowing---sorta what he's said he was often the victim of growing up (and even now as an adult).

And even though Clay included the 'appropriate' qualifiers about his having not really seen the show, I still find his personal jabs at Adam disappointing (Are we sure the Fake Clay didn't find a way to infiltrate the blog at some points?). If he wanted to make sure we know the NE story is bullshit, then why not just say that. No need to go into character criticism of a man he's never even met.

I'm close to agreeing with a friend who elsewhere said, "Thanks for your candor, Clay. Now shut up and sing, 'kay?"

:cryingwlaughter:

muski... I read the blog three times, and while I usually agree with your opinions 95% of the time, I just didn't see what you saw this time. The first discriptors were for Adam's Ring of Fire. The second said what he had heard others (general perception) say about Adam (arrogant and polished). Judgement on Clay's part... only on the one performance... JMHO.

I think what he said was in support of his main point, that Adam was professional/polished from the start and that AI was wrong to go in the more professional performer direction it has been going in for years and is why I have quit watching the show.

aikim... Thanks for bringing the Reed item. He's there, I'm sure!!!

I'm not sure what made Clay decide to be more open with the Q&A and more blogs, but I'm loving it. Do I agree 100% with everything he says... no. I don't have any friends I agree with 100%... how boring. I love more than just his voice, I love him and the more I get to know him the more I love. Clay is an intelligent, opininated man. That gets him in trouble sometimes, but he is also sooo right sometimes.

What fun and, how interesting, it is to be a fan of Clay Aiken!!!

Thanks guys for the tip. I'll be staying away from OFC 'til the storm passes.

It amazes me that with Clay having fans of all ages, sexes, sizes and every distinctive difference I can imagine -- that it would matter to anyone that Clay would have an opinion, among all the opinions of life, that didn't agree with theirs once in a while; because I think it's impossible to agree with someone about everything all the time. Oh the outrage that Clay said something some others don't agree with!!! What I love is that Clay has adopted an Adm. Farragut attitude: Damn the Torpedoes, Full Speed Ahead. I adore that. :andthetruth:

I just love so many things about Clay Aiken. And now I love that he feels free to speak his mind -- whether half, or two-thirds, or ninety-percent of the fans agree or disagree with what he has to say.

Here's to NOT CARING!!! :drinking71:

I have learned to enjoy the variety of opinion in Clay Nation. Whatever Clay does, and however he wears his hair (color and style, long or short, even Something About Mary hair), and whatever clothes he puts on his body, and whether he wears glasses or not, or has stubble or not, or sideburns or not, and all combinations of the above -- somebody's going to absolutely LOVE IT and think he's never looked better. How lucky can one man be -- no matter what he does, intentionally or by chance, he's going to make somebody's day. That's all that should be important, not whether it's my particular favorite, but that someone somewhere is in HEAVEN. Truly I've seen some pictures of Clay that made me wince, and yet somebody will come on and be gasping at the gorgeousness of the man in the same pictures. That's really extraordinary. And I have learned to embrace the pleasure others enjoy, even when I may see him differently. In fact, I've learned to love that.

Now, that said, when Clay answered that he wants his short hair long, and his long hair cut, does that mean that longer hair is on the way?

118074832-L.jpg

clayatwichita200721new.jpg

OMWH_Yahoo_02_t.jpg

thetonightshow20060915-11.jpg

96894913-L.jpg

060926_Kimmel_ATD_12.jpg

View2.jpg

galasmile.jpg

y4.jpg

He is so fine.

Personally? I think if Adam happened to read Clay's comments about American Idol, he'd not only agree (to an extent) but also laugh at the criticism, particularly since that specific performance didn't hurt his outcome on the show one bit. He seems like a rather unflappable young man. If they eventually meet professionally, I think they'd quickly charm each other. That's just my impression...could be wrong.

I admit I did wince a little when I first read the blog, but that was more in anticipation of others' reactions (about which I was 100% correct! LOL). However, since I have no control over what Mr. Aiken chooses to say, do, or write, I figure my panties are simply more comfortable unbunched.

heh

And gah! Thank you, keepingfaith, for the lovely pictorial. *sigh*

"Silence Broken" is, my guess, a rebutal to the BS story from the NE.

Titanium I tell ya! Huge titanium :tasty:

I can't imagine loving Clay any more than I already do but THIS made it darn near possible!

I would have been disappointed if he had been any less open and pointed. BF is one stubborn, opinionated and mouthy fella....and I adore him. :BlowKiss:

Hey, isn't he supposed to be in Paris? And if so, doesn't he have better things to do than making heads explode?

Oh.

Wait.

Nebbermind.

:lilredani:

:cryingwlaughter::hubbahubba::cryingwlaughter::hubbahubba:

kf, love the visuals and yes "He is so fine" indeed!!

Yes, there are lots of Christians with open minds and big hearts who are anything but bigots, but the situation that developed regarding Proposition 8 is enough to convince me that there was enough homophobia across the board voting against the idea of a gay American Idol. "We" aren't as tolerant as "we" would like to believe. JMO

I don't know who "we" are, but I just disagree. I don't see the Idol vote as indicative of anything beyond a vote in the 8th season of Idol. I rarely watch the show anymore, although I don't have a problem with it, I just don't have time. And I certainly don't vote, but I wouldn't have voted for Adam under any circumstances, because he disqualified himself with his butchered version of One, which I did see. And even though I left a homophobe husband over Elton John, I can't be counted on to vote for the gay guy. I don't see the Idol vote as a "cause."

On a completely different note, I think I've detected that a good number of people, especially boomer-types, are always anticipating the next Elvis, the next Beatles, the next Dylan, and I believe this to be a futile search. The music options are now pretty much unlimited, the delivery systems reach us from the sources of our choosing, and tastes are sophisticated, diverse and individualized. There may be bands and singers that have large followings and more fame than they know what do with -- but for any of them to be THE ONE. Ummm, no. I believe the Elvis thing to be a phenomenon of times past. And ... I think that's a good thing. At least an indication of some evolution on the planet.

And 00lsee, I think there must be a demonstrable difference in the reactions of original online fans vs those who came later. You guys who went through the long wars have developed a reflex as to what will set off a chain reaction in the fandom. I wince that you must wince, because I remain as ever in these matters, ignorant. Or, for you who say idget, I'm ignernt.