Food Network shows

Couch Tomato

I have all his books, one even autographed (although a friend got that one for me). I've yet to meet the man, but I've been close -- he visited my hometown during one of "Feasting on Asphalt" trips, and if I'd known he was there, I would have been home so fast!

I think his knowledge of food and his entertainment flair makes him perfect for Iron Chef.

I think the only person I really can't stand on Food Network is Giada, and I'm not sure why. I can take Paula Deen, but only in small doses. I like her sons, though.

Well now I have to slap a HYPOCRITE hat on mah head - I watched that master chef show and in the hand-tied-behind-your-back challenge, the female chef got some help, one of the guys held the eggs so she could cut the tops off......and wow! I was impressed that when she won with what looked like the bestest eggs ever, no argument, not one of the guys whined that she had help.

If it was the regular top chef show, there would have been bitching.

But the guys also seemed to feel that yeah, she was actually the best chef, and they seemed happy she won.

Although the stakes were not nearly anywhere as important as top chef.

But I think she would have won without those challenge stars.

I predict Debbie goes home next week. I would have sent her and Jamica both home last night, really.

I love Guy Fieri's shows. I went to the Kuma Corner website to get some cheeseburger ideas, I love how he makes the food sound so good and look so logical to make.

Can't stand Paula since she judged last year's show.

Have seen all of Rachel Ray's shows.

I like the low-carb guy, and Throwdown. I don't watch anything regularly, though, even the competitions get rerun a bunch, no hurry.

I miss Two Fat Ladies on BBC.

A friend asked us to go to Red Lobster tonight, We haven't been there in ages. The waiter showed us the specials for the night and one was the talapia as prepared by Jeffrey of Food Network Star. He highly recommended it but I don't eat Talapia anymore since it was found to be bad for you.

Just thought it was interesting. Their cheese biscuits are still good.

Just being a post whore.

Adios Debbie.

I'm happy with the two last finalists. I'm sure the odds are greatly in favor of Melissa winning. She always seems to get rave reviews for her food. Even when she slacks off they are not too critical of her. I'll bet this is the year for a woman. Men have predominated on this show so I'm sure a woman will win. I think Jeffrey has a sensitivity about him that I like and his cooking lessons are clear and concise. But Melissa will win and I can live with it.

I LOVE Melissa.

I'm in the middle of watching now but really hope she wins it all.

Still don't like Jeffrey..he's boring.

Debbie to me was the best in front of the camera. I take it she leaves LOL.

Too bad if she's gone..I was hoping for a Debbie/Melissa show down. I just don't think they feel she is popular enough to carry a show.

I didn't get a chance to watch last night, so I'm glad to read the results here. I'm pretty much with Fear on this -- I like both of the finalists. Jeffrey is so calm and laid back, and he does teach well. I think Melissa, though, has the better "niche" -- the working mom thing I think will take her a long way.

I'll try to watch the episode later this week to see exactly what happened last night.

That new show on Food Network, What Would Brian Boitano Make?, cracks me up - it is a bit campy, but funny, and Boitano is having fun.

Most memorable recipe - deep-fried bacon cone, filled with eggs and hash browns, a dab of sausage gravy, and topped with a biscuit.

Heeee........there are healthy recipes, too.

The title comes from a hilarious South Park song, What Would Brian Boitano Do?. I am currently addicted to it, it is insanely cheery.

What Would Brian Boitano Do?

Dunno if the extreme charm of Jamie Oliver can counteract the extreme creepiness and smarminess of Ryan Seacrest, for me. I kinda doubt it.

OK so Melissa's show became about serving 4 for $10? It was boring as hell. That show isn't going to make it. I just never thought of her as some budget cook even though she has kids. Color me disappointed.

Me too. Her schtick was how to prepare non-kid food so that kids would like it, I thought. Looks like the network already had a box to put her in. Wonder if the runner-up will show up in a show; he seemed like a natural. Melissa seems a bit unhappy and forced, but I am prolly projecting.

I caught WWBBM the other day, and laughed my way through the entire episode. Pure camp, but I loved it.

OTOH, still haven't watched Melissa's show. Was vastly disappointed to see that they changed her premise.

Wonder if the runner-up will show up in a show; he seemed like a natural.

They're testing Jeffrey Saad on the web, with short webisodes. If you go to the Food Network website and search for "Spice Smuggler" you'll find clips. I haven't had a chance to watch them yet, but I will, hopefully over the weekend.

Thanks ldyj, I'll try and catch them later too. I knew Melissa would win as so many of those cooking shows have bouncy, cheerful, over thetop emcees. It's the Rachel Ray syndrome. I admire Rachel for her good deeds but just can't watch her for more than five minutes. Throw rotten things at me but I also can't watch Guy whatever his name is. Way too bouncy. About the only cooking show I watch is the Barefoot Contessa despite her pretentiousness.

In the long run I tend to favor those who can actually teach me something. As I've said before I loved the original Iron Chef shows.

I am a little unfair as I haven't watched Melissa's show yet. Not on at a good time for me to watch it.

Throw rotten things at me but I also can't watch Guy whatever his name is. Way too bouncy.
Winds up, and heaves a perfectly good egg at Fear! I couldn't stand Fieri for a long time, but I love when he visits restaurants and gets them to show exactly how they make their specialties - I never would have thought of some of that stuff!

His cooking show is okay, yeah a bit bouncy, but it would be fun to cook with him.

djs111, I am confused. Is the Jamie Oliver/Ryan Seacrest show going to be on Food Network or ABC?
Ooops, sorry! ABC or at least not FN. I did think Ryan sold his little soul to Fox, though.

There is something I don't like about Ryan, nothing to do with Clay, Ryan just seems shifty and seems like he would put hidden cameras in his mother's bedroom if he could get a sponsor. I won't watch that show - anyway, Jamie Oliver has had quite a few BBC shows and such, I have seen a lot of him.

Jamie has a show on Food Network, Jamie at Home, Saturday mornings at 7:30, so I can watch him sans Ryan.

You guys are lucky that FN is showing Jamie At Home. I managed to watch it via Torrents. Right now he has a new show that started last night in Britain called Jamie's American Road Trip. Hopefully it'll get picked up soon in the USA and Canada, but I managed to watch most of the first episode on You Tube this morning. Yes I am obsessed with Jamie Oliver shows right now. LOL.

I can't stand Ryan Seacrest either. Seriously can't stand the man. The word "smarmy" is what comes to mind when I think of him. But I'll bear it to watch Jamie.

I love Guy Fiero but have only seen diners, drive ins and dives. What a job.

Funny you bring up WWBBD..I watched that show right after I saw Melissa' new show and I remember IMing Cindilu to say..it's a shame that BB's show is better than Melissa's. He is a natural.

I'm watching Top Chef for the first time and I guess I'm just a food network ho cuz it's ok but not the same to me as TNFNS. I miss all my peeps. Every time they bring out some great chef I go...WHO?

I'm also loving The Best Thing I Ever Ate. It cracks me up. I've only ever seen that one chick with the dark hair on Chopped and damn she's always so sour looking even when she is complimenting people.God forbid she get a bone or something - she looks downright scary. But on that show to see her smiling and wax poetic over a hot dog is fun.

And DJS every time I see the Neelys something you wrote about "fighting" pops into my head. What did you mean? I just watched their chefography and enjoyed it.

Looking forward to the chopped championship and also the new iron chf show. Is there where they find a new iron chef? Where do they get their folks from..are they restaurant owners?

And DJS every time I see the Neelys something you wrote about "fighting" pops into my head. What did you mean? I just watched their chefography and enjoyed it.
I think you got the wrong person - I also remember someone saying something about the Neeleys being a bit antagonistic or something, but I don't think I have ever watched their show! I think it is on Saturday, when I am usually trying to catch up on work I should have done during the week, and when a lot of my HGTV and other home shows are on (Sell This House, How Not to Decorate, etc.)

I do love Chopped, and yeah it is funny to see that woman actually smile.

I also love the Ace of Cakes, and ALL the food competitions, and the Build a Better Burger shows are awesome!!!!!

I think I have prolly OD'd on just plain cooking shows, unless there is something extra - like Brian Boitano having fun.

I think it was Fear that wasn't so sure about the Neely's.

Fear, you can lob that egg right back at me, because I LOVE Guy Fieri. And I'll probably get a few more eggs too, because I actually like Rachael Ray's cooking shows too. I like that she's NOT a chef, but really does make food in those 30 minutes.

Back to Guy for a second -- I'd love to tour more of the places he's been too on DD&D. I've been to two so far, one in Minneapolis (a great breakfast place called Al's Diner) and one in St. Louis (Sweetie Pie's at the Mangrove, with some of the best Southern food I've ever had!).

Food Network is my white noise, so I watch a LOT of shows there by default. But I make time to watch a lot there too -- The Best Thing I Ever Ate is my new one. Tempura Fried Bacon? Gotta try that sometime!

Anybody watch Chopped anymore? Now the new guy who won ran out of time but it was okay because he didn't use raw onions. They could use some real judges on that show and get rid of those who only appreciate what they like to eat. I don't like raw onions myself but it is a real ingredient. They need Alex G. back, but she's too busy with her own network show. Or Ted Allen might be even better as a judge. His sense of humour is wasted as the host.

I'm a little disappointed in the direction this show has gone. Some consistency guys! No way they will ever beat out Top Chef as my favorite cooking contest.

I guess I'm ok with the winner of the Next Iron Chef -- if there has to be a winner. Honestly, I didn't put either of the finalist up there with the current Iron Chefs. I liked them both but I just don't fear them LOL. If I'm thinking I can take them in a cooking showdown, how can they be an iron chef?