Food Network shows

Couch Tomato

Was just checking in here to see when The Next Food Network Star was going to start - this summer, June? Glad to hear Chopped is starting again in June - really enjoyed that show. Although, I really don't cook that much, I do love to eat! I'm also a big So You Think You Can Dance fan, and looking forward to Project Runway( I can't sew either, so I can really appreciate the talent and skill it takes to design and sew all those creations).

Yay for next food network star

Ok GREEN BEANS? come on. I can make that with my eyes closed. I don't care what you mix them in they are still green beans hee.

Yay for the mom cuz I was thinking her apple tart would be too home made for them.

store bought angel food cake? you're kidding me.

Tivoed Next Food Network Star, and just got around to seeing it. Before they announced the winner in that round, I really liked Jeffrey. And, I really don't like Debbie - that angel food cake idea was terrible(what was she thinking!). Also, didn't like Debbie's not getting everything her team members wanted(so they had ad-lib) - I wnat her to go next.

yep I agree she did so wrong. Horrible decision on the cake -- and not getting all the food that people needed. But I still kinda liked her for some reason and I like the whole southern/korean thing. Hopefully she will pull herself together and play it straight from now on. And she looks like Margaret Cho hee.

Looking forward to the rest of the season.

THAT'S who she reminded me of...Margaret Cho! I kept thinking she looked familiar. Yup, she better get her act together if she wants to stick around. Can't wait for Sunday, and SYTYCD tomorrow. Would much rather see Clay on tv, but this will hold me over until he re-emerges.

OK, I am just discovering new Food TV shows and personalities...so lately I've become kind of interested in the Jamie Oliver shows. Here in Canada they are just now airing Jamie's Ministry Of Food (not sure if this one was shown in the USA). Apparently he had a series on your US Food Network in 2007 called Jamie At Home, according to Wikipedia. And they also have this listed, which makes me kind of go UGH! at the Ryan Seacrest association, even though so far I have liked most of his ideas.

In 2010, a currently unnamed six-show special series will be aired on ABC in the United States starring Oliver and American Idol host, Ryan Seacrest. The premise of the mini-series will be for the two to visit some of the most unhealthy cities in the United States and try to improve its residents' eating habits.

Okay, I love Jamie Oliver, a couple of his series have been shown on BBCA.

I loved the series about how he used some of his money to open a restaurant and train kids right out of jail or detention or whatever as chefs. Giving them a way to earn a living. He was so patient and enthusiastic with the kids.

And Oliver's series, the Naked Chef, was great - he cooked simple, natural food. With his clothes off.

Just kidding!

I will not watch Jamie Oliver with Ryan Seacrest.

Ugh.

Chopped still cracks me up - last night the judges expressed disgust over a chef using a tasting spoon, putting it down, then picking it up to spoon sauce on the plates.

Then they ate the food anyway.

The chef got chopped because of baby artichoke standoffishness, not hygiene!

I don't understand why you can't cook a turkey burger in twenty minutes.

I'm sorry but vegie girl needs to go. She just isn't anyone I would buy as an authority on cooking.

I was surprised at who they got rid of this week but he can't be trusted. I wanted him gone last week.

So far..Michael, Debbie, Jamica (although she messed up royally this week) and stay at home mom are my favorites. I think all of them will fit right in on the food network.

The guy they called bland..OMG I so agree.

Michael seems like the best cook to me. And he has a great personality. He just needs to get more comfortable in front of the camera. Aaron had the same problem last year. It will come. His burger looked FANTASTIC as did his Hawaiin dish.

Oh man, and Jeffrey (the "bland" guy) is my favorite! I think he'll step it up now, especially after this bad week.

I will say though, that except for "veggie girl," I'd watch a show with any of these people at this point. They've gotten rid of the really unlikeable ones, IMO. It doesn't look good for Jamika next week however.

I think that of those left I like Debbie the least. She seems like a first class whiner using everything from getting hit in the face to blaming others for her errors. There is a big difference between taking advantage of a situation and whining. Suck it up, things happen.

Veggie girl won't last much longer as she definitely has foot in mouth disease. She can't stop lecturing.

I think the rest are smart enough to change their personalities based on the circumstances. They just have to keep the quality of their food on an acceptable level.

Next: Chopped :cryingwlaughter: We sure like our food and on me it shows.

Okay, I still don't like Debbie. She is so phoney. I think she will be gone next week. I liked Jeffrey but when he talked about the girls in the kitchen, it turned me off. I think the mom willl win. They are due to have a woman win.

Debbie is untruthful and Jamica is not consistent.

I like the mom too, but I wish the guy who talks like Harvey Fierstein was better, because he is fun to watch. There is a sweetness about him, or something.

They have not gotten rid of anyone who shouldn't be gone, yet, but if it looks like they have picked their person already and keep him/her no matter how they screw up, I will stop watching. That attitude, of course, totally depends on if I like the same person! :-O

On How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria, on BBC, Andrew Lloyd-Webber keeps saving one of the girls who keeps getting the lowest votes. Three times! I know I could just google and find out who won, but it is funny to think he may already see his Maria - and it is his production - and then see who really wins. He gave a front-runner a hard song to sing, cheerfully admitted it was not in her range, and then sat back and watched her get blasted.

I tried watching The Next Food Network Star, I really did, but I just can't get into it. Reality shows are just not my thing, I guess. I am really enjoying watching some old Jamie Oliver shows that I downloaded from a torrent, though. First was The Naked Chef, now I'm onto Oliver's Twist.

I like Jamica but she hasn't impressed me with her cooking. She's a star but all she's shown me is she can make a grea slaw.

Jeffrey -- I dont' know....I am not interested in watching any show he's on.

Debbie -- she pissed me off last night. I think she's a great cook. She's actually quite natural in front of the camera but she will step over anyone to get there. And you know that's perfectly fine if I wasn't actually seeing that on camera :cryingwlaughter:

So that leaves mom. I think she should win it. She's calmed down so is good in front of the camera. She can cook. She has all these little tidbits and hints. I just have no idea what her show would be. Something to help moms? I have no idea.

I liked Michael but I can see why they cut him. I actually think he's one of the best cooks too but he just didn't know what to do with the camera.

I pretty much agree with couchie on her take on the final contestants, except for Jeffrey. For some reason, I find him very interesting, and I think his whole "cuisine without borders" idea is a good "focus" point.

I really like Melissa, the Mom of the group. Food Network really doesn't have a show at the moment for "busy Moms," so I think the demographic is there.

Debbie really turned me OFF last night with her work. It's too bad, because she's probably the best cook of the bunch. I was really glad when Melissa, and to a lesser extent, Jeffrey, stood up to her in the judgement room.

Anybody watch CHopped? I think the right person one this time even if he didn't plate everything perfectly. Criticizing that woman for putting the peppers on her plate I thought was being a little picky. I don't eat the flowers they put on my plate sometimes in restaurants. If the meat is tough that she cooked that is a whole other matter.

Last week, I hated that they let the Italian guy go home just because he never finished a plate on time yet they all agreed his food was the best. IMO they should give them more time or put foods that actually taste good in the baskets.

But I do like Ted Allen.

Last week, I hated that they let the Italian guy go home just because he never finished a plate on time yet they all agreed his food was the best. IMO they should give them more time or put foods that actually taste good in the baskets.

If he had only failed to finish once, yeah I agree with you. But all three times?

To let him win would not be fair to the others - and perhaps their food would have been better if they had taken more time. Rules is rules.

He just needs to be on Top Chef where he would have more time - but I bet he would still take all the time and need ten more minutes!

I would also kick out anyone who just disregards one of the ingredients because they don't know what to do with it, and uses it as a garnish or whatever.

What are you- a tough guy djs ???

Just kidding. Some rules were meant to be broken. I always felt sorry for the visiting chefs on Iron Chef when they never got any meals done because they misjudged time. I guess I'd rather eat a little bit of something really good than a whole bunch of mediocre food. And unfortunately that's what happens too often in real life. Shouldn't Clay have won on AI?

OK I think the right person went home this week. Still rooting on Melissa..I think she'd make a great show. Still find Jeffrey boring -- not sure what sort of show he'd have. And again..Debbie would do a great show. She seems a natural but I hate that I'm seeing her not so great qualities as I'm sure all the rest of the people on the food network aren't saints either.

Jamica made shrimp again..and why can't she get her food spicy?

I think the judges tried to point out to Debbie that her first instinct was to lie and say the capers were in the dressing, instead of just saying oops she forgot them.

Most of what they are looking for is being good on camera, but I think there is a concern with truthiness and do they want to work with her. Debbie tends to rationalise away things and make excuses.

Melissa was awesome with those peppers - those are hotter than jalapenos (at least they did not give her Scotch Bonnets!) - I admit I was hoping for some drama. Yeah, I think she should win. But her nerves and her desire to have that show are getting to her a bit.

Considering she is not a chef, she is doubly awesome and I think there is a niche for her.

I am getting tired of hearing about Debbie's Korean ancestry, for some reason. And I laughed when a judge pointed out to Jamica that the Jamaican Shrimp was mentioned several times, catchy title, but not spicy. Plus she was rude, and when called on it said tough beans, that's how she is. Yikes!

Fear, I absolutely believe the rules should be followed for a game show. Else what is the point of having it? Everybody on the show applied for it and knew the rules and should have been able to practice.

If they can't follow the rules, just try and be a guest on someone else's show or something.

And have you ever seen Gordon Ramsey ream someone out for cooking too slow? Restaurants are businesses, the quicker you cook, the more table turnover. Plus the judges are looking for innovation and imagination.

Aaaaaar, humbug!!!!!

djs, I guess I'd make a terrible judge. LOL

I think Melissa would make the best show also. I just don't think I could watch a show with Debbie, although she is quick on her feet, her first instinct is to protect herself. I like Jeffrey as he is laid back. Whether he would make a good host, I don't know.

Right now I'm getting ccoking show overload so I'm not sure I would watch any of them. Besides Guy, I don't think any of the winners have been that popular. The first winners, two guys who were partners on the show as well as in real life, seem to have lost their show already. The woman who won the next time seems to have never had a show and Big Daddy is on weird hours. I can't watch Rachel Ray and the Neelies act like they will need boxing gloves soon. Iron Chef is probably the show I enjoy most. Paula is so bizarre and Giada, i just don't like most of her food. Throwdown is okay but I'm getting tired og Alton Brown.

I should just read a book.

Hmmm...I guess I don't find Big Daddy's House (12:30 p.m., 11:30 Central on Sundays) to be that odd of a time, considering that it's part of their Sunday morning cooking show block -- and it's the last one for that block. If he was on at 6:30 a.m., then I'd say they are burying him. Oh well...I do watch, and enjoy, his show. I also faithfully watch Guy's shows when they are on too. I had heard somewhere that the lady who won season three did enough episodes to fulfill her contract, and then backed out because she wasn't enjoying herself. Shrug.

Of course, I'm one of the oddballs who does watch Rachel's 30 Minute Meals from time to time, and enjoys it!

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! You can't be tired of Alton! I love him!

OK, so here's the book you should read then... *g*

As for the Next Food Network Star -- I still like Jeffrey, although he's starting to get a little too laid back, even for me. I think Melissa has the most marketable show idea out there, and I just like her. At this point, I wouldn't watch Debbie if you put a gun to my head.

I find it interesting though that the ideas such as lying and deceitfulness that get so many contestants through other reality shows (Survivor, Big Brother -- and in both cases, those that are lying are celebrated for it) don't seem to fly with this show. Frankly, I think that's a good thing.

ldyjocelyn, my husband loves Alton Brown and goes to his website whenever he is looking for a recipe. I do believe we might have one of his books around the house. *g* Maybe that's why I'm tired of him? He is good on the Iron Chef.

I think I'm just bored with TV.