#52: "He doesn't need the spotlight. He just glows."

jmh123

Thread title poll  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• I am so grateful for a board that is celebrating The Clay!
    • We have no idea in hell what Clay is up to. We hope he's happy.
    • God, I love that man. He rocks my socks.
    • He's made a changed woman out of me!
    • Clay Aiken - Better than burnt weinies!

I'm ALIVE! I just drove 65 miles each way to pick up my mom from her sister's in a car that just didn't want to do it. Almost turned around twice but kept on going. But when I hit Livermore -- the town of my birth LOL - I hit this 3 mile grade that was nothing but uphill with nothing but big rigs behind me. And my car didn't want to go over 25. It just sputtered and sputtered and I was driving on the shoulder. I finally pulled off on this brake check area... in the middle of nowhere and the car decided ..psyche - so I kept going and fortunately I was at the top of the grade and mostly coasted the rest of the way. Coming home only a few minor hiccups. That was not fun! I think I need a real tune up... or a new car LOL.

Can someone tell me the new name of TBAF? Please PM. Glad there is an article out --one that ironically proves their point for changing the name. Totally hysterical.

I'm not interested enough in Adam to read an entire article on him just to see what he says about Clay. Whatever. I know how the media works. He'll say some stuff. Some stuff will be twisted. But to figure it all out I'd have to kinda follow him. Have no intention of doing that. To fans of Adam who are also fans of Clay --- big ass hugs to you.

I'm not particularly enthralled by what AL said, or him in general. But it's his right to say it. I just don't always have to listen to it. *g* Personally, I'm just waiting for the media storm for him to simmer down. I don't think it will truly go away, but I do think it will hit a dull roar eventually. Anyway, I'm still a Clay girl through and through -- but don't care one way or the other about that other runner-up dude.

I suspect it's those darned Google Alerts that indicate a media storm when in fact it's just a lot of websites that very few read unless they get Google Alerts. That's my guess. But then you know my story of being a serious Clay fan during Season 2, and then having him effectively disappear from my world until I happened to see him on AI5. Reading around the fandom for the past 3 years, I realize that the conventional wisdom is that Clay was a media sensation for a couple of years, and by certain definitions he was, but I don't live with my head in the sand and his celebrity didn't seep through my filters or those of my circle of friends.

Just my opinion, but when I read about the early days of the fandom when there were so many thousands of fans online -- I know from all of you that it was an exciting time for everyone, but whether there were 20,000, 2,000 or 200 online fans didn't affect me or anyone I know. I am semi-bewildered when I hear the bemoaning that Clay's fans are dwindling, assuming his fans are restricted to the numbers posting on any given message board at any given time, whether positive or negative. I read those gnashing of teeth posts whenever I travel to other boards, and sometimes here, but I don't think that the message boards are terribly influential outside of the message boards. The boards didn't scoop me up in the Clay net – Clay did that all by himself.

After AI2 was over, I wasn't interested in attending an AI Tour, AT ALL. I rejected going because I was pissed at AI, and I wouldn't have given them a single cent of my money for anything! I was certain that I would attend a Clay Aiken concert and buy a Clay Aiken CD when available and give Clay my money, NOT Idol. The next time I heard of Clay was when I was in New Orleans for my parents' 60th anniversary on September 19, 2003. We came in from dinner turned on the TV and Clay was singing TITN at the Miss America Pageant. After that, I saw him on Prime Time Live with Diane Sawyer, also by chance. From this, I learned about Measure of a Man and bought it the day it came out. I picked up my sister from work and we drove around for an hour listening to it in my car, both of us so happy for him. The next time I heard about Clay was December 2004 when I was downloading Christmas music from Rhapsody, and MCWL came up on my search of new music. I downloaded it. I also found the singles on there and downloaded them. So I had completely missed stuff like the National Anthem performances, and parades, and Kimmel appearances and the covers of the teen magazines. I did see his book on the bestseller list and ordered it. Funny, but I never read it until the summer of 2006! All the time, I was going to other concerts, watching TV, reading newspapers, and frequenting news sites on the internet, yet I never knew Clay was on Scrubs, never knew he was doing the Emmy Awards for Insider, never heard a word about the "mess" or any other rumors, and never had an inkling of an Independent Tour, Not a Tour, Joyful Noise I or II, or Jukebox Tour. I knew that Kelly toured in early 2004 because she came to Houston for a Rodeo concert – but I had no idea she was on tour with Clay and that he was as close as Dallas. Not me. I can personally attest to fans upset because Clay isn't doing concerts like the Solo Tour of 2004, that most of world knew nothing of it and still don't know. During 2005 and early 2006, I don't remember hearing Clay's name mentioned. Then one night in May 2006 he blew my mind and the rest you know.

thAIClay2.gif

I get it that people are worried that if Clay isn't on the tube or on tour that he's out of the public consciousness -- but just because a person is on this or that show doesn't mean that person is registering in the public consciousness. It has to pack a punch. Just because someone appears on AI as a guest, a contestant, or a winner, doesn't mean that millions of people are inclined to like them. I have three kids and I can guarantee you that two of them don't have a clue who was on AI this year, mostly because they despise Idol and everything associated with it, and never watched it, read about it, or talked about it. One of my kids now likes Clay, but that's in spite of his Idol past.

My prediction of at least one of Clay's future triumphs is that he'll record an album, who knows what the theme or type, because it really only matters that he'll put out something with total integrity and originality, titled "Clay Aiken" and it will be previewed by a few select music reviewers with national publications, and get an advance buzz to precede a roll-out befitting the defining smash hit he'll have on his hands. And he'll look fabulous. And millions of people will say, "Clay Aiken, isn't that the skinny kid that "won" American Idol a few years ago? I wondered what happened to him!"

Do I think there are gnats, flies, flotsam and jetsam that want Clay to fail? That seems obvious, and happens to everyone, unfortunately. Do I think there are people in high places with power and integrity who are grooming Clay for future triumphs? Yep I do. And that doesn't happen for all that many people.

So I'm snug in my happy place of patience. Since I already went through a couple of years of Clay drought, patience doesn't seem so strange to me. And after the last vast expanse of Claylessness, he surprised me one night and literally changed my life. It was definitely worth the wait.

Then one night in May 2006 he blew my mind and the rest you know.

EEEEEEEE That was me too!! Only difference, I had not followed Clay prior to that. THAT was my big holyshitlookathimandwowcanhesingtheshiznitzouttathatsong moment for me! And suddenly :Thud::Thud:

From that moment on I was hooked. Shark bait. Toast!! I've stayed for the total package and have been blissfully following him with my tongue dragging along ever since! :hubbahubba::hubbahubba:

Drunk in the corner? Nice. There are no words, really. Not my cuppa, that's for sure!

Mmmm-hmmm. Me neither. I didn't mind him on the show...but he's turned me off since then.

A lot of people had problems pronouncing the previous name

:cryingwlaughter: WTF? Baubel? I don't wonder why. idjits

How ironic!!...and THANK YOU for NOT posting the new name. I'd rather wait for Clay. Could be just me. :)

Drunk in the corner? Nice. There are no words, really. Not my cuppa, that's for sure!

Mmmm-hmmm. Me neither. I didn't mind him on the show...but he's turned me off since then.

A lot of people had problems pronouncing the previous name

:cryingwlaughter: WTF? Baubel? I don't wonder why. idjits

How ironic!!...and THANK YOU for NOT posting the new name. I'd rather wait for Clay. Could be just me. :)

Heee I'm sure it's not just you..but after being near death today..don't want to exit the world without knowing it :hysterical:

One thing I thought of while writing my last post that I didn't get around to putting in --

My second Clay concert in Houston, July 6, 2007: Walking out after the show, part of the Jones Hall Summer Symphony Series, the gentleman who remarked to no one in particular, "He's great. Why haven't I heard of him before?"

Then one night in May 2006 he blew my mind and the rest you know.

EEEEEEEE That was me too!! Only difference, I had not followed Clay prior to that. THAT was my big holyshitlookathimandwowcanhesingtheshiznitzouttathatsong moment for me! And suddenly :Thud::Thud:

From that moment on I was hooked. Shark bait. Toast!! I've stayed for the total package and have been blissfully following him with my tongue dragging along ever since! :hubbahubba::hubbahubba:

treenuts, I resemble that remark!

One thing I thought of while writing my last post that I didn't get around to putting in --

My second Clay concert in Houston, July 6, 2007: Walking out after the show, part of the Jones Hall Summer Symphony Series, the gentleman who remarked to no one in particular, "He's great. Why haven't I heard of him before?"

Oooh! I was there! Is that where I first met you, kf? When we walked through the Houston tunnels getting lost on our way to Jones Hall and some nice guy showed us the way, walking almost the whole way there with us? Were you with that group of hot babes? :whistling-1:

ETA: Wait! We'd met first at Frisco, right?

Finally home... ok, when y'all decide to have our dinner with kimiye tomorrow instead of tonight it would be good to know at noon or something? (yes, I should check my text messages, but I was too busy checking the board, and not my inbox)

Still, it's good to look forward to tomorrow!

Great post, keepingfaith!!!

:GE_FCA:

ETA: And thanks for not posting the new name of the foundation. Would rather wait...

Oooh! I was there! Is that where I first met you, kf? When we walked through the Houston tunnels getting lost on our way to Jones Hall and some nice guy showed us the way, walking almost the whole way there with us? Were you with that group of hot babes? :whistling-1:

ETA: Wait! We'd met first at Frisco, right?

muski, I first met you when KAndre and I picked you up at the airport in Dallas. I must have made quite an impression! :cryingwlaughter:

I was just hours away from seeing Clay for the first time and was a total zombie in paradise, so it's understandable.

ETA: I got worse later. Here's why .....

172429348-L-1.jpg

172032122-L.jpg

172428470-L.jpg

172428578-L.jpg

172765052-L.jpg

172765167-L.jpg

173125692-L_CowboyClay.jpg

1697116502DL.jpg

Picture062_fsn4th.jpg

It was good for me. Was it good for you, merrieeee? Ha! What an understatement of mammoth proportions!

Good? Good? It was the best. I got to watch drool over my pretend, gay, celebrity boyfriend up close and I got to see someone, who is now one of my best friends. see Clay live for the first time!

That will stay with me forever.

Some people need to check their PMs and voice mails AND texts! Ha!

kf's my girl. Even though she knows a lot of esoteric songs by some Beatles dudes and doesn't have my deep appreciation for the Monkees. pets Clay's Wiki page... The man is doing good. I'm not stressing.

Some people need to check their PMs and voice mails AND texts! Ha!

kf's my girl. Even though she knows a lot of esoteric songs by some Beatles dudes and doesn't have my deep appreciation for the Monkees. pets Clay's Wiki page... The man is doing good. I'm not stressing.

But, but, I like that sleepy Jean song. Give me some credit.

I have a confession to make - I am totally in love with this kid......30 second commercial, no singing or dancing involved!

kid with truck

This cracks me up every single time!

djs... :hysterical::cryingwlaughter::hysterical: That kid did a great acting job. If it wasn't acting, then the cameraman did a great job.

My first time seeing Clay in person was the Vegas IT and seeing him come down that aisle with all the screaming was soooo exciting that I promptly bought tickets for SD, Anaheim, and Staples. :whistling-1: I was hooked on Clay and it's such a fun addiction, ya' know! :cryingwlaughter:

kf... You're indulged. Post away. Love the pics! My memories of that concert are of waiting anxiously for clack. Watching it and laughing my head off and counting the minutes till the gang entered California. I have watched clack of every concert there is clack of for this tour and, other than the following Christmas tour, it is my favorite tour.