#52: "He doesn't need the spotlight. He just glows."

jmh123

Thread title poll  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title for FCA?

• I am so grateful for a board that is celebrating The Clay!
    • We have no idea in hell what Clay is up to. We hope he's happy.
    • God, I love that man. He rocks my socks.
    • He's made a changed woman out of me!
    • Clay Aiken - Better than burnt weinies!

It is just strange about MJ. He was so young! I went to a concert in the Buffalo Bills stadium and there must have been 70,000 or more screaming kids. It was crazy. It was a great show even though I did end up being rather relieved when it was over, because of the noise. My friend and I made a deal. She would line up overnight to get the tickets (way before Ticketmaster) and I would take the kids. I was always glad I got to go.

But it did make me want to come out and say hi to y'all. I'm mostly a lurker these days. I come over here when I can to read coz you guys are fun, random, interesting, love the travel recaps (so, like, what country is KAndre in today?) and the sporting news (yay for the team, Couchie!), and take the linear format to new levels.

Hey strummer..I love that description of FCA ...especially random. hee

Wow I can't believe MJ is dead. I've been bummed out by the weirdness the last few years. I don't understand where his family was and why there was no intervention. (ETA ..they may have tried but when you're that rich and famous I guess you pretty much can write your own ticket). It's such a shame. BUT -- like many have said -- he was fantastic - not just during the Thriller era - but his complete body of work. My favorite MJ album was Off the Wall but loved Thriller and tohers. I can't even begin to pick my favorite songs from him - there are a ton of them for me.

SueRue - I'm with you but I have a feeling this will turn into a media and freak show. Thinking back to Anna Nicole Smith - who is not even in the same universe as Michael Jackson -- I just don't hold out much hope.

Michael Jackson was an icon. His talent and contribution to pop music is indisputable. I hope that he is treated with the respect he deserves. I shed a tear when I heard the news.

Couchie,

What do you mean about an intervention from his family?

And Jackson, in his prime, was truly the King of Pop. I still remember watching Billie Jean on the Motown special and my jaw literally dropping. Back then, during the Thriller era and before all the changes, he was electrifying.

I saw that too and was likewise stunned by it. With Top 40/pop stardom so uninspiring (IMO) today, it's hard to even imagine that a single performance could once have transformed the music scene the way that performance did. Even today the effects can still be seen in music and in dance.

I saw that performance too as well...and considered myself lucky that I could say "I remember seeing that live."

I was sad over Ed McMahon -- the ultimate sidekick. Today, Farrah's death also saddened me, because she tried so hard to overcome that demon known as cancer. But Michael? Wow. Total shock. Like everyone else here (it seems), I had a hard time overlooking the weirdness at the end, but in his heyday, his music was fantastic, and performance style was topnotch. Again, I would have a hard time picking a favorite song, but I think it might be either "Rock With You," or "Wanna Be Starting Something."

Favorite Clay performance of MJ stuff is "The Girl is Mine" with Reuben.

Wow.

My children were little when MJ music was really being played. His Thriller album came out when my youngest was born. I use to ride my bike on the trainer with the album playing everyday. It was about 45 minutes long and made for a good workout. I would take the kids down the basement, let the two oldest play with their toys, and place the baby in his car seat next to my bike and ride.

My middle child loved watching the movie The Whiz with MJ. Everyday when I nursed his brother he would have me put it in. At one point I could not listen to it anymore and told him I taped over it by mistake. I never told him the truth. Maybe someday.

I did not know about MJ on my way home from work today, but I had a concert mix from Clay on and TWYMMF came on, and thought at the time he sang that song so well. I also enjoyed it when he sang Beat It. He looked like he was having so much fun.

like many have said -- he was fantastic - not just during the Thriller era - but his complete body of work. My favorite MJ album was Off the Wall but loved Thriller and tohers. I can't even begin to pick my favorite songs from him - there are a ton of them for me.
My favorite was from a very early album -- one where I shocked KAndre by naming a song of MJ that she didn't know about -- it was "Ben".

My favorite Clay MJ song is that slow song that can be performed with an orchestra, TWYMMF!

like many have said -- he was fantastic - not just during the Thriller era - but his complete body of work. My favorite MJ album was Off the Wall but loved Thriller and tohers. I can't even begin to pick my favorite songs from him - there are a ton of them for me.
My favorite was from a very early album -- one where I shocked KAndre by naming a song of MJ that she didn't know about -- it was "Ben".

My favorite Clay MJ song is that slow song that can be performed with an orchestra, TWYMMF!

At which concert did you like it the best?

Off The Wall was off the wall and my favorite MJ album. I wasn't too thrilled with Thriller but I was obviously in the minority. heh

I'm sure his legacy will be a mix of the genious/talent, his sad childhood, his bizarre change in appearance along with the eccentric lifestyle and behavior. So much will most likely come out of this eventually and I'm sure folks will come out of the woodwork for $$$ with stories. Ugh

But I hope his music legacy outshines the rest as time goes on.

R.I.P.

At which concert did you like it the best?

Hearing it the first time in Houston was a special but I think the most thrilling ones (with the best audience interaction) are from Philly, LA, Newark and West Palm Beach.

But it did make me want to come out and say hi to y'all. I'm mostly a lurker these days. I come over here when I can to read coz you guys are fun, random, interesting, love the travel recaps (so, like, what country is KAndre in today?) and the sporting news (yay for the team, Couchie!), and take the linear format to new levels.

Wow I can't believe MJ is dead. I've been bummed out by the weirdness the last few years. I don't understand where his family was and why there was no intervention. (ETA ..they may have tried but when you're that rich and famous I guess you pretty much can write your own ticket). It's such a shame. BUT -- like many have said -- he was fantastic - not just during the Thriller era - but his complete body of work. My favorite MJ album was Off the Wall but loved Thriller and tohers. I can't even begin to pick my favorite songs from him - there are a ton of them for me.

SueRue - I'm with you but I have a feeling this will turn into a media and freak show. Thinking back to Anna Nicole Smith - who is not even in the same universe as Michael Jackson -- I just don't hold out much hope.

Michael Jackson was an icon. His talent and contribution to pop music is indisputable. I hope that he is treated with the respect he deserves. I shed a tear when I heard the news.

Couchie,

I would rather him be treated with honesty. Michael Jackson was a musical genius but he was also a deeply flawed man.

Intervention: There is talk of drug use. Fingers are already being pointed by his inner circle. No one wants to admit they catered to Michael's weaknesses instead of intervening. A lot of careers and fortunes were riding on the Michael Jackson Come-Back tour.

Desertrose - I edited my post. I just wish there was someone who would have been successful at getting through to him. The plastic surgeries were just the beginning of it all. He doesn't even look like himself. But for all I know..they tried everything they knew to do and failed. That wouldn't exactly surprise me either.

Scarlett said:

"Ben" is an unique choice. Interesting facts:

Don Black and Walter Scharf wrote this for the 1972 movie of the same name. It was the sequel to a movie called Willard, which was remade in 2003 starring Crispin Glover. Ben is a pet rat. In the movie, a young boy befriends the rat, but the rat turns evil and recruits other rats to attack humans. In the remake of Willard, Ben becomes an enormous super-rat.

According to the book Jacksons Number Ones, this was intended for Donny Osmond, but Don Black suggested Jackson, who got the song instead.

Despite being about a rat, the lyrics are touching and sentimental, and make no reference to rodents. A lot of people were very moved by the song.

The song's co-writer Don Black has written many movie themes, including the hits "Diamonds Are Forever" (for the James Bond movie) and "Born Free." At his 2007 induction in the Songwriters Hall Of Fame, he said of "Ben," "When it came to writing about a rat, I said, 'You can't write about a rat.' I mean, I'm not going to use words like 'cheese.' I thought the best thing to do is write about friendship."

:cryingwlaughter:

From GBB at the CH, who has ties to the publishing business:

Just FYI on the book news front: It's looking unlikely the book will happen -- at least this year. It was going to be tough to get it done in time for Christmas anyway. Trying for next year opens up a lot more options.

I've felt so sad about MJ for a long time. When he was younger, I thought he was so beautiful and so amazingly talented. I couldn't understand the self-mutilation. I don't know about the molestation charges, but I think his behavior was questionable at best. It's so sad when someone with such talent just seems to lose it.

That's why I never begrudge Clay is free time and his private life. I want him to stay sane and grounded.

From GBB at the CH, who has ties to the publishing business:

Just FYI on the book news front: It's looking unlikely the book will happen -- at least this year. It was going to be tough to get it done in time for Christmas anyway. Trying for next year opens up a lot more options.

I hope it does happen next year but things are always changing. Hopefully the economy will pick up some speed next year and we can count on more than the book- maybe a tour, cd or tv show. I'm ready for a tour whenever Clay is.

Clay never confirmed the story about the book either way - but that won't stop it from being spun against him.

If I've learned anything in six years, it's to wait until he talks about something before I get excited about it.

Clay never confirmed the story about the book either way - but that won't stop it from being spun against him. If I've learned anything in six years, it's to wait until he talks about something before I get excited about it.

With all the MJ non-stop coverage it will be just a blip if any.

I don't think I can watch anymore tv...talk about vultures! It's going to be worse than Anna Nicole Smith. Let the guy RIP.

Off the Wall was the stunner for me. MJ and QJ made brilliant music together. But my hands-down all-time favorite MJ song -- Man in the Mirror. And I'll never forget watching the Motown special when he sang Billie Jean, did the moonwalk, and brought the house down.

All the sensational stuff of the past 15 years never interested me. However, I was never able to understood why such a good looking person would intentionally put his face under the knife so many times. It continued long after becoming absurd. I suppose if you have immense wealth, and control, nobody can tell you, "No." An amazing talent, and a tortured life. Too sad for words.

Rest in peace, Michael.

Couchie,

I would rather him be treated with honesty. Michael Jackson was a musical genius but he was also a deeply flawed man.

Intervention: There is talk of drug use. Fingers are already being pointed by his inner circle. No one wants to admit they catered to Michael's weaknesses instead of intervening. A lot of careers and fortunes were riding on the Michael Jackson Come-Back tour.

I agree about the "honesty." But I do not know if what he was accused of doing was true or not. He is the only one who knows what the truth is. I do see him as a complicated man who became reclusive and eccentric possibly because he never really had a "normal" childhood. He always seemed like a gentle soul to me, and I have always hoped that he was truly innocent of all he was accused of. That is just me.

Am suffering through family issues in East Texas (no freakin' cell and am at my Uncle's girlfriend's son's girlfriend house on dial-up on what has got to be a 486 - and please don't get me started on the public health system in Texas for people without insurance) and hope to be back in pocket next week. Have skimmed enough to say good riddance to bad rubbish (I am not in the mood to be tolerant) - to correct Scarlett (Chick, it wasn't Ben - hell, I owned the original soundtrack album with all the rats on it - Ben is in my top 10 MJ songs - it was some other cut I still have never heard because you still haven't got it to me) - and I'll be damned if I'm not heartbroken that Michael Jackson is dead...

He did the soundtrack to my life, and I could not and cannot believe the worst of him. RIP, Michael.

That's one of the reasons I am glad Clay deliberately moved away from that insane level of stardom even as a possibility. Did anyone here ever read the book Idoru by William Gibson? I used to think a lot about the concept of Idol and Clay, when the show was fresh and new. This year was the 8th season, the 8th!! And Clay was the 2nd season. I firmly believe that Clay and Ruben and the Season 2 contestants (except Corey) had much to do with the success that American Idol became. Every year that goes by without him being on amplifies the effect an appearance by him would have if he ever did it again.

Clay's career? He has to float ideas and projects constantly, I'm sure, and knowing him, that includes various media and multiple diverse projects simmering at once. He doesn't seem to have ever been one to just be working on one idea at a time. I'm sure that's why he doesn't like to have these things known in advance, because I'll bet way more things fall through than pan out, but it was his agent that leaked this book thing. I thought that agent was kind of smarmy so I'm kind of glad that didn't materialize. It didn't feel right. I can relate to that "floating out there" type of employment--and to many things not panning out but only needing one of them to work, floating many to get that one. It's not the same kind of job security that people are used to, but it isn't totally insecure either. Very few people in entertainment are in the spotlight day in day out, year in year out. And everyone has years they are in and years they are out. We all know Clay is capable of that kind of reinvention that sustains a career, and that he has a phenomenal talent.

I was listening to the TV classics audio the other day and was struck (again) by his voice. With an entire orchestra and Quiana and Angela behind him, he just lets loose and sounds so good. Same with that montage today. Man can flat sing.

I think Clay should just record a few songs and put them on iTunes. Don't wait to put together an entire album.

"When it came to writing about a rat, I said, 'You can't write about a rat.' I mean, I'm not going to use words like 'cheese.' I thought the best thing to do is write about friendship." :cryingwlaughter:
It was on the first cassette tape I ever bought and I always thought Ben was a mouse, not a rat. :cryingwlaughter:

Thanks for the background info -- nice to know about the Donny Osmond connection (who was on my 2nd cassette tape).

But my hands-down all-time favorite MJ song -- Man in the Mirror.
I only heard Man in the Mirror today, and yes it is great. Thanks for the link, aikim!

I agree about the "honesty." But I do not know if what he was accused of doing was true or not. He is the only one who knows what the truth is. I do see him as a complicated man who became reclusive and eccentric possibly because he never really had a "normal" childhood. He always seemed like a gentle soul to me, and I have always hoped that he was truly innocent of all he was accused of. That is just me.
I'd like to remember him from the best of times. He brought a lot of joy. What else matters?

ETA: Oh right, KAndre. It was "Happy" and you swore it wasn't an MJ song. We had to go to google to settle things.

it was some other cut I still have never heard because you still haven't got it to me)
Here's the YouTube link!

"When it came to writing about a rat, I said, 'You can't write about a rat.' I mean, I'm not going to use words like 'cheese.' I thought the best thing to do is write about friendship." :cryingwlaughter:
It was on the first cassette tape I ever bought and I always thought Ben was a mouse, not a rat. :cryingwlaughter:

Thanks for the background info -- nice to know about the Donny Osmond connection (who was on my 2nd cassette tape).

But my hands-down all-time favorite MJ song -- Man in the Mirror.
I only heard Man in the Mirror today, and yes it is great. Thanks for the link, aikim!

I'd like to remember him from the best of times. He brought a lot of joy. What else matters?

ETA: Oh right, KAndre. It was "Happy" and you swore it wasn't an MJ song. We had to go to google to settle things.

it was some other cut I still have never heard because you still haven't got it to me)
Here's the YouTube link!

Not KAndre, but thanks for the link. I had never heard MJ sing that song before. After an evening of watching TV coverage of his passing, listening to this song for the first time was the real tribute for me. Beautiful and pure.

I had to turn off the TV and get rid of the news stations, out of simple respect for his memory. I truly am surprised at how saddened I am, the grief that I feel. As for once the idiot anchors shut up and stop focusing on the latter years of his life, will it be the music that lives on? Will it get the respect and the fond memories it deserves? I think so, if this is any indication -

The iTunes Main Page as of 11pm:

1) Thriller - Michael Jackson

2) The Essential Michael Jackson - Michael Jackson

<snip>

6) Thriller - 25th Anniversary Edition - Michael Jackson

7) Off the Wall - Michael Jackson

<snip>

9) Number Ones - Michael Jackson

10) Michael Jackson: The Ultimate Collection - Michael Jackson

That's what people want now - his music. To listen to him sing. YouTube has called in emergency backup to handle the traffic and insure that the site doesn't go down. People want the see energy and the magic of his performances. The official videos of Billie Jean has 12+ million views, Beat It - 23+ million, Thriller - 37+ million and all are rising fast.

On Bille Jean there have been 28,000 comments in the last 24 minutes - YouTube doesn't have the capacity right now to display beyond that, and there probably are more.

To heck with the news anchors and their guest MJ 'experts'. The love is overflowing online.

Yes, I believe that when all is said and done, that's what will be remembered. His brilliant and everlasting contribution to the world of music.

I read some comments on one of many of the Billie Jean Motown 25 videos.

One said simply - "The night he took the throne. RIP, King of Pop."

Reading that, I remembered when I opened my copies of Thriller and Off the Wall, which I bought at the same time, rushing to inside to get them on the stereo and to dance in my room. I remembered watching Bille Jean on MTV and experimenting by turning the color knob to watch it in black & white. Oh, what a work of art - to look at it that way. Not that it wasn't exquisite to begin with.

Then I cried.

Too soon, Michael. No one ever made it easy for you, IMO. Not your childhood, not your stardom, and not your life. You will always be in my memory as you sang and danced in 1983. Yes, that was indeed the year you claimed your throne. May you now, finally, be at peace and be able to feel the admiration and love of the millions here on earth who are right now playing your music.