#54: Clay is like a box of chocolates (with a pickle on the side)

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title Poll  

67 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA

• Clay Aiken: Inner Cool
    • My Eyes Adored You
    • What joy to see him; time flew by on golden notes -- moon river echoes
    • Swoon River

You know I've been in this site continuously for the last few days as have a many others and I've seen nothing like this. Is it at all possible that this pop up came from some other site that she had open at the same time? There is no question that this is a nasty virus and depending upon which one it is, will make you reformat your computer to get rid of it (although I hadn't heard of it crashing it) BUT I haven't seen this pop up mentioned except for the mention from strummer6 via you. SO I'm just wondering if it could have been some other site that caused her the issue (unbeknownst to her).

Caro mentions it coming up a couple of times for her right in the post I quoted. And, yes, you may have to reformat your hard drive, but it won't be literally destroyed, so if you don't mind losing all of your computer files, no biggie.

I saw the "thing" one time, and I know a couple other fans who did, also. I have posted the warning in all the threads where I know people are voting. I also included info in the current blog.

However, as goldarngirl said, we haven't seen the spyware/virus for several days; and we've been at this for over a week. According to a tweet tonight, a ticker will be added to the poll tomorrow counting down the final days.

Stay safe. This is a good rule to remember when traveling the Net anytime anywhere.

Caro :listen:

I haven't voted in that poll or been to the site - just read posts from others who have - but my DH had the same pop-up appear on a harmonica site he was on. He didn't remember exactly what he clicked on but said it looked like something was downloading and he managed to get out of it someway. He told me about it afterwards. I had neglected to tell him to be on the lookout for something like that - I usually tell him when somebody posts about some virus or strange pop-up appearing here and there but didn't this time. He ran a scan immediately and everything appears to be fine - sure hope so, since this is a new computer!

The same virus scan came up for me four times last week on different sites, once when I was using google. I shut down all the times, and ran my scan with nothing showing up. This has been going on for awhile, my husband warned me about it last spring. My son had to reformat his computer after he mistakenly clicked on it. Since then I just shut down if it appears.

You know I've been in this site continuously for the last few days as have a many others and I've seen nothing like this. Is it at all possible that this pop up came from some other site that she had open at the same time? There is no question that this is a nasty virus and depending upon which one it is, will make you reformat your computer to get rid of it (although I hadn't heard of it crashing it) BUT I haven't seen this pop up mentioned except for the mention from strummer6 via you. SO I'm just wondering if it could have been some other site that caused her the issue (unbeknownst to her).

Caro mentions it coming up a couple of times for her right in the post I quoted. And, yes, you may have to reformat your hard drive, but it won't be literally destroyed, so if you don't mind losing all of your computer files, no biggie.

I have been voting a lot in this poll, and I have seen nothing like this either. I certainly do not want a virus that would cause me problems. Strange that I have not encountered it as many times as I have gone to vote. I use Mozilla and it blocks pop ups really well. I have been scanning my computer for viruses with Norton's just in case, and I have no viruses. I have been doing this more than usual. I am also scanning with ad-aware and spy-bot. They find nothing except maybe a couple of low risk tracking cookies, which I have them remove. Most of the time they do not even find those.

I think whether one encounters it or not has to do with the browser you are using, whether your browser and OS updates are up to date, your security settings, your anti-virus, etc.. Mozilla is definitely a safer browser when it comes to preventing this kind of thing, but I have gotten the same thing on Mozilla--the most recent time I saw it I was using Mozilla. I don't know much about Mozilla security settings, which is why I went back to IE. If you are using IE, there are several different settings that can block pop-ups and prevent unwanted downloads. That script thingie that canfly hates (when you want to use FCA's link or photo buttons), for example, is a safety setting to prevent unwanted scripts from running. (And it can be bypassed, but it's risky. I just temporarily allow it.) I also use google toolbar's pop-up blocker.

Desertrose, I don't think you have anything to worry about if that window/box hasn't come up that says you are infected. Clicking on that box is what gives you the infection. It's a clever trick to hook people, because you can't shut it down even by clicking cancel. Some you can stop with the red X. Some won't stop even then. Shutting down your browser (with control-alt-delete) or shutting down your computer will do it. Best thing IMO is to avoid sites where these thing are known to exist unless you are very secure about your computer's security. Those who haven't encountered it have good reason to feel confident for themselves, but given that at least one person we know has gotten the virus there (and I don't think it's unreasonable to believe her when she says she got it there, especially when others have had the box come up when they were at that site), I would not feel comfortable guaranteeing to everyone that they are safe.

Treenuts, ya gave me a laugh though, lol.

Then my job here is done. :lipstick: Thanks for noticing.

caro, another great blog!!

I hope bf soon gives us something more to blog about. Come on, Clay, toss us a bone!

And since Kandre was speaking of messes, this is one of my favorites.

Alfalfa Aiken? LOL

He's a HotMess and I miss him like crazy!! I love this goofyguy :wub:

I think whether one encounters it or not has to do with the browser you are using, whether your browser and OS updates are up to date, your security settings, your anti-virus, etc.. Mozilla is definitely a safer browser when it comes to preventing this kind of thing, but I have gotten the same thing on Mozilla--the most recent time I saw it I was using Mozilla. I don't know much about Mozilla security settings, which is why I went back to IE. If you are using IE, there are several different settings that can block pop-ups and prevent unwanted downloads. That script thingie that canfly hates (when you want to use FCA's link or photo buttons), for example, is a safety setting to prevent unwanted scripts from running. (And it can be bypassed, but it's risky. I just temporarily allow it.) I also use google toolbar's pop-up blocker.

Desertrose, I don't think you have anything to worry about if that window/box hasn't come up that says you are infected. Clicking on that box is what gives you the infection. It's a clever trick to hook people, because you can't shut it down even by clicking cancel. Some you can stop with the red X. Some won't stop even then. Shutting down your browser (with control-alt-delete) or shutting down your computer will do it. Best thing IMO is to avoid sites where these thing are known to exist unless you are very secure about your computer's security. Those who haven't encountered it have good reason to feel confident for themselves, but given that at least one person we know has gotten the virus there (and I don't think it's unreasonable to believe her when she says she got it there, especially when others have had the box come up when they were at that site), I would not feel comfortable guaranteeing to everyone that they are safe.

Thanks JMH

So the trick is not to click on the box if it appears because one won't be able to stop it downloading once it starts. For those that accidentally click on it, would unplugging the computer stop the download? I am not too computer savvy. That is why I am asking. I am definitely not clicking on it if it shows up. I picked up a worm on Facebook, but Norton's found it and took care of it. Researched it and found out that social networking websites like My Space and Facebook download it to get your personal information. Scared the heck out of me cause Norton's notified me while I was doing my online banking!

And now for something completely different...

Ahem. The State Fair of Texas will be arriving in a couple of weeks.

I'm sure Clay is all proud of North Carolina's little shindig, and some of my compatriots might even show up.

Me, I might have to do a compare-and-constrast.

See, Texas has got to be the "you bring it, we'll deep-fat fry that sucker up" king~

They've released this year's newest entries:

Green Goblins: Cherry peppers stuffed with spicy shredded chicken and guacamole, battered, deep-fried and topped with queso.

Twisted Yam on a Stick: A spiral-cut sweet potato, fried on a skewer, then rolled in butter and dusted with cinnamon and sugar.

Fernie’s Deep Fried Peaches & Cream: Served with a side of vanilla buttercream icing for dipping.

Texas Fried Pecan Pie: A mini-pecan pie battered, deep fried and served with caramel sauce, whipping cream and chopped candied pecans.

Country Fried Pork Chips: Battered, thin-sliced pork loin deep fried and served with sides of ketchup or cream gravy.

Sweet Jalapeno Corn Dog Shrimp: Shrimp on a stick, coated with a sweet and spicy cornmeal batter, deep fried and served with a spicy glaze.

Fried Peanut Butter Cup Macaroon: A peanut butter cup wrapped inside a coconut macaroon, fried and then dusted with powdered sugar.

But the piece de resistance?

Are you ready?

From the man who brought you Fried Coke...

Fried Butter.

Yeah, he did it. Fried freakin' butter. And I am so there!

KAndre... I want the twisted yam on a stick, thank you very much...

I also want sex on a stick Decca Clay! :cryingwlaughter:

I can't wait to see which Clay shows up at the Gala. Suit Clay I'm sure, but what else???

I loved his look last year and the bearded Clay from the year before was awesome.

aikim... it's great to see the countdown in the 30s!

ldyj... I'm happy the contest is back! I really missed it when it was on vacation.

maybe one of Clay's friends will be here

http://www.ny1.com/content/ny1_living/1054...r-/Default.aspx

Theatre and daytime television stars are coming out to support Broadway Cares/ Equity Fights AIDS at the 23RD ANNUAL BROADWAY FLEA MARKET & GRAND AUCTION to be held on Sunday, September 27 from 10:00 AM - 7:00 PM in Shubert Alley (225 West 45th Street).

The event will be held outdoors in Shubert Alley and is free and open to the public. From posing with your favorite Broadway and Daytime stars for photos, to buying that lost cast recording, signed show posters and Playbills, rare costume sketches or special gift for a theatre-lover you can't find anywhere - this year's BROADWAY FLEA MARKET & GRAND AUCTION promises to offer something for everyone.

The Grand Auction has always been the highlight of the Flea Market event and this year will not disappoint.

rest of the article in the link

I can't believe they are having Ellen as a judge. What does she know about vocal talent. She was horrible the night she was on SYTYCD, did not offer anything. I have enjoyed the show just for the entertainment but this may push me away from it.

I like Ellen, but even she can't get me to watch AI again.

luckiest... ditto!!!

I agree she was not that great on SYTYCD. Trying too hard to be funny... tho I remember she did make one very funny remark, but don't ask me what it was now. :cryingwlaughter:

I wonder if Pauler thought they'd beg her to stay. Surprise! :cryingwlaughter:

Well, I always watch AI--I like to support young people trying to get a break. And, I usually like Ellen ok--although the only time I've watcher her show is when Clay was on as I don't watch daytime TV., However, I thought she sucked bigtimes when she was on SYTYCD. Her humor was so strained and didn't fit. I hope she just sticks with "I liked it" or "I didn't like it" and forgets trying to be clever.

*waves at Marilyon down there* Haven't seen you since you, Meesa & Puddinsjoy came to visit our hotel room last year. Good times!!!

Hey, Scarlett!! Just visiting!!

I got one of those viruses but not from that site- from an email somehow. Killed my computer. Thanks to goldarngirl I was able to reconstruct, and when I got the virus I was still able to send all my clack to an external hard drive so I saved the most important documents/videos!!

We spent HOURS puttting that computer back together- into the wee hours of the morning. BUT- she saved me from having to take it to a computer geek and spending big bucks

So- from across the miles, I thank you- and all of the folks that have given me advice on lots of stuff!!

The ONLY two things I regret- I cannot reload my Roxio because I do not have the CD Key code- dunno where the plastic cover went because the CDs were in paper cases. So I will miss that. And microsoft office- same thing, dont have the CD code.

The Gala is next month- I cannot wait to hear Clay sing again. And the hair? Hey, it was his off time and he was probably windblown- but he was considerate enough to take a pic that we can all....shall we say........discuss??

*waves at Marilyon down there* Haven't seen you since you, Meesa & Puddinsjoy came to visit our hotel room last year. Good times!!!

I was thinking of you last weekend because the eHP took a road trip to explore the Hill Country. I wrote a bit about it upthread and the only part I'm missing was our Plucker's Wings & Amy's Ice Cream night in Austin on Sunday. Some will argue for Amy's over Bluebell but I love them both! We were reminiscing about the nice tix we had last year and I remembered how you passed on that extra A105 for the Saturday of the 2nd last weekend of Spam. I wish you had been able to come because I ended up giving it away. *crosses fingers that we all run into the same sort of luck in the future*

I was thinking of you last weekend because the eHP took a road trip to explore the Hill Country. I wrote a bit about it upthread and the only part I'm missing was our Plucker's Wings & Amy's Ice Cream night in Austin on Sunday. Some will argue for Amy's over Bluebell but I love them both! We were reminiscing about the nice tix we had last year and I remembered how you passed on that extra A105 for the Saturday of the 2nd last weekend of Spam. I wish you had been able to come because I ended up giving it away. *crosses fingers that we all run into the same sort of luck in the future*

I know, and I sure regretted it!! But circumstances were beyond my control. I sure hope we get seats like that at a CONCERT TOUR!!

Hopefully before I have to use a cane to get down the aisle!

:GM_FCA:

37 Days until The National Inclusion Project's Champions's Gala!

:yahoo:

Everyone have a great day!

Kim