#54: Clay is like a box of chocolates (with a pickle on the side)

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title Poll  

67 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA

• Clay Aiken: Inner Cool
    • My Eyes Adored You
    • What joy to see him; time flew by on golden notes -- moon river echoes
    • Swoon River

Wheeeee, I love holiday Mondays! Today is going to be an all Clay day. I am going to review montages for goldarngirl, and vote in the Christie competition, and get organized and packed for my Raleigh trip. Two more days of work and then we are off, woo hoo!

SIX DAYS!!!! Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!1!!!!11!!!1!!!

So, raise your hand if you've watched/listened to BSOB in the last couple days?

*raises hand*

What a wonderful treat that was, and a fantastic vocal performance as well. I could listen to him sing the words 'yonder' and 'shine on' over and over and over again. Oh, wait. I did. :whistling-1:

*raises hand too*

And I'm right there with you on the way he says 'yonder'. 'Shine on' doesn't grab me so much but that 'yonder' rings my bell!

I'm so excited about the gala I can hardly stand it! I'm leaving on Wed. from MI, and flying to Atlanta where I'll meet up with my daughter. On Thurs., kcudawg is driving to my daughter's to join us in our road trip to Raleigh on Friday morning. I think we may be slightly crazy, cause kcudawg has to drive about 5 hrs. in the opposite direction from Raleigh to meet up with us. But what the heck, we just had to have our road trip time. We miss it so much! When Clay was touring, the getting there was 1/2 the fun.

I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing tons of Clay friends and hopefully meeting many new ones. I'll do my best to gather Clack, but as you know, the lighting in the Marriott ballroom is the worst. None of my photos were worth a hoot last year and my video was way too dark. Last year, I was close to the stage because a friend who had to cancel at the last minute, let me use her $1000 seat. This year, I'll be back to my usual spot by the kitchen door. So if you, or someone you know has a video camera that works well in low lighting conditions, please bring it along and tape the proceedings. You can never have too much Clack.

I've been studying my camera's manual to see if there is anything I can do in video mode, to compensate for the lighting conditions and I'm not seeing any info. I have the Canon S3 so if there is anyone who has any tips to share, please PM me.

Hey, all you baseball fans! Carrie's team played in a tournament this past weekend and one of the teams we faced was one coached by Willie McGee. Remember him? Outfielder, fast-as-lightening player for....Cardinals? Giants? Anyway, I know he was MVP of the National League one year. We beat them Saturday and then we both made the championship game yesterday. We were ahead 6-0 and then something clicked and our infield (including my daughter, the pitcher) starting playing like the Keystone Cops, defensively, and got behind 9-6! We loaded the bases with two outs in our last at bat, but couldn't bring them in, so Willie's team won. But it was a great battle.

And as we know....second place ain't bad, is it? ;)

*raises hand*

What a wonderful treat that was, and a fantastic vocal performance as well. I could listen to him sing the words 'yonder' and 'shine on' over and over and over again. Oh, wait. I did. :whistling-1:

*raises hand*

*raises hand, too* That "yonder" slays me every time! S.W.O.O.N.

Hey, all you baseball fans! Carrie's team played in a tournament this past weekend and one of the teams we faced was one coached by Willie McGee. Remember him? Outfielder, fast-as-lightening player for....Cardinals? Giants? Anyway, I know he was MVP of the National League one year. We beat them Saturday and then we both made the championship game yesterday. We were ahead 6-0 and then something clicked and our infield (including my daughter, the pitcher) starting playing like the Keystone Cops, defensively, and got behind 9-6! We loaded the bases with two outs in our last at bat, but couldn't bring them in, so Willie's team won. But it was a great battle.

And as we know....second place ain't bad, is it? ;)

muski... how kewl!!! Who the coach of the other team was... not that Carrie's team lost.

The Gala is almost here. It has been a long wait to see him perform again (LV in May). Next Sunday is going to be spent in front of the computer waiting for clack. I'd better get another butt pillow! :cryingwlaughter:

treenuts.... sawwy bout your niners. I don't have a favorite team, being from LA. I have favorite quarterbacks. I watched Payton Manning yesterday. I like Kurt Warner, but can't watch cause he's too inconsistent. Love Drew Brees and really hope he gets to the SuperBowl this year. Brett Favre is another one I like, but can't watch.

treenuts.... sawwy bout your niners. I don't have a favorite team, being from LA. I have favorite quarterbacks. I watched Payton Manning yesterday. I like Kurt Warner, but can't watch cause he's too inconsistent. Love Drew Brees and really hope he gets to the SuperBowl this year. Brett Favre is another one I like, but can't watch.

Awe, thanks liney :hug:

I watch several games a week but don't have a particular preference other than my Niners. *sniff* Generally if the Raiders are sucking butt (which they have been doing frequently) then I let hubby decide which games we tune into. I will say though that while I admire Brett Favvvv-vre immensely, I simply can't stand the guy as a whole. Can't quite put my finger on it but he truns me off.

:04: Safe TRavels to all you lucky bitches wonderful people heading towards Mecca for next weekend!!!

I am soooo looking forward to some fresh clack, baybay! :yahoo::DoClay:

*raises hand*

*raises hand*

*raises hand also* :)

:04: Safe TRavels to all you lucky bitches wonderful people heading towards Mecca for next weekend!!!

I am soooo looking forward to some fresh clack, baybay! :yahoo::DoClay:

Here's a link for

DITTO -- safe travels to all headed this way! I hope the Carolina rain and cool temps turn to sunshine before you arrive! :BlowKiss:

Caro :listen:

Hey, all you baseball fans! Carrie's team played in a tournament this past weekend and one of the teams we faced was one coached by Willie McGee. Remember him? Outfielder, fast-as-lightening player for....Cardinals? Giants?

St. Louis Cardinals - I remember him well. Very cool.

ETA: I just looked him up. He played for the Giants for a while, too, but I remember him in a Cardinals uniform.

I'm really impressed so far with Decca. They've already talked about Clay in the past month or so than RCA did in the last year. They actually act like they are happy to have him, which is a new development, and they haven't even made the big announcement yet. I'm looking forward to what's coming.

Just back from my whirlwind Thankgiving weekend with Nickikiwi.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Personally, Nicki and I had Wendys at Niagara Falls, lol. :cryingwlaughter:

image003.gif

AniTurkey_HappyTurkeyDay_valMA81105.gif

HappyThanksgiving_bear.gif

TURKEY1.gif

HAPPYT1.gif

CTHANK1.gif

pccturk3.jpg

IMAGE01.gif

Happy Thanksgiving

to all the wonderful Canadian Clay Fans on FCA and other boards. We had a warm day yesterday, about 80 degrees, and I associate Thanksiving with Fall temperatures. Enjoy your turkey and pumpkin. Sounds wonderful to me.

I thought the Durham FB page was adorable but felt like a voyeur when they changed it as it wasn't meant for me to see. I always wished for Clay the privacy he obviously desires. It's probably because I am like that in real life about some things. I'm not criticizing anyone as it is a personal issue. I'm sure it's just me. I am not ready for the Gala to be here so soon. I can't decide whether to get a room neaarby or to drive back and forth Friday night, Saturday morning and Sunday morning. Did I forget to mention I'm a cheapskate?

Off to the gym, have a great day.

YYG has 2 rooms for our group and we only have 1 per bed for Friday night and 3 in each room for Saturday night. We have room.

That and I have to cancel my booking at the Sheridan cuz YYG found a deal last week for the Marriott. We decided to go with being in the same building.

I found this pretty picture of Clay watching Papa fromDanieP80 and wanted to share.

gallery_553_41_30159.jpg

Went to save it and then was questioning whether it was JNT or JNT2. :shrug:

:GM_FCA:

4 Days until The National Inclusion Project's Champions Gala!

:yahoo:

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

Happy Tuesday!

The rain they've been talking about for 2 days finally hit. We'll see. Doesn't seem like some super storm so far.

Ah Willie McGee. I remember him as a Giant Muski. Your Carrie's sports skills should come in real handy when it's time for college!!!

So excited for all the gala goers. I hope everyone has safe travels. I know you'll have a great time once you're there meeting friends, enjoying the festivities, and most importantly celebrating the foundation and hearing Clay sing.

Decca -- Not sure what they've done yet but I'll just wait and see. Being notRCA ain't really good enough for me. But I remain hopeful and look forward to next year. My faith is in Clay as always.

During my 15 hours worth of driving on my not a gala trip - we split the music between my favorite, Clay of course -- my mom's favorite - Marvin Gaye, and some Motown mixers. The songs I listened to the most were Where I Draw the Line, As Long as We're Here (that song is just perfection), Something About Us, Grace of God, and On My Way Here.

My mom has the Marvin Gaye Box set and we listened to the Top 10s and the The Duets with of course the ones with Tammy Terrell being my favorites. I don't know much about Marvin - except that he had a lot of demons. He was only 44 when he was gunned down by his own father. 44! Part of the Motown hit parade, after all those hits and all that success he still had to fight to make the album he wanted in "What's Going On." 15 years into his hit laden career he said: From Jump Street, Motown fought What's Going On. They didn't like it. They didn't understand it and didn't trust it. Management said the songs were too long, too formless, and would get lost on a public looking for easy three minute stories. For months they wouldn't release it. My attitude had to be firm. Basically, I said 'Put it out or I'll never record for you again." That was my ace in the hole and I had to play it."

Of course the rest is history. It just reminds me that a music career is a journey - a long one full of ups and downs. Art and money are in constant battle. Control being something few artists own. Clay's journey is still new. And I look forward to seeing where it goes. I don't have a lot of ideas about where it should go and what he should sing. I probably have one hope and that is when it's over... I'll be able to sit there in my rocking chair at the ClayAikenFan Resthome and say that's Clay's song. On the drive, listening to Marvin - I heard so many familiar songs. Some have been made over and over again by all kinds of artists. I Heard it Through the Grapevine (Recorded first by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, Released first by Glady Knight and the pips, but, IMO- Marvin. How Sweet It is - Marvin. What's Going On - Marvin (although Cyndi Lauper has a kick ass version).

- Marvin! Hell for me...he owns the
too. Not too much to dream, is it :cryingwlaughter:

ETA: Happy Thanksgiving to all the Canadians. Hope ya'll had a good day off!

Excellent post, Couchie!

My first memory of Marvin Gaye was when they played him over the PA at the public pool where I learned to swim as a child. I remember I would get out and go to the snack bar, get a frozen snickers and sit on my towel, well away from all the noise, just to hear him! "What's Goin' On" was one of my first introductions to a song with a message. God I was young.....and naive but I actually got it, even then. The record label is often wrong IMO. And I hope Clay proves this so, even today.

couchie... have fun on your not-a-gala trip!!! Interesting post. That was such a shame about Marvin Gaye. Fascinating about his battle with his label. Making money vs making art has always been a battle, unfortunately. I hope Clay's next CD is a nice balance that does both.

I'm glad to hear Clay went online. I wonder if he is reading threads about the Gala or if the condolence thread drew him. Which ever, either thread would show the man he is loved and what else matters!

I'm in Vermont going to take plane to Raleigh on Thursday. I'm spending some time with my daughter who lives here. It's so cold but the rain has stopped. See you all who are going to Gala soon.

Holy cow, the wind is really brutal here today. Both the rain and wind have been pounding us out here in the valley all day and much of last night!

We need the rain, for sure, but I wish the f***ing wind would knock it off!!

Hope everyone on the roads here in the bay area and central valley are taking it slow and easy. Stay safe all :hug:

I wanna know more about this ClayAikenfan nursing home. Is it all Clay, 24 hours a day? How do I get in? Should I apply for membership now?

yep that storm turned out to be pretty big. I went to pick the kids up from school and they had a blackout in their school. They were pretty happy about that.

heee justclay ..that's my money making idea LOL. I want to hang out in my old age with a bunch of feisty old ladies sneaking out for a concert run!!

couchie, loved your post. Motown was a huge part of my formative musical years. And I loved Marvin Gaye, his voice was such a marvel. Really one of the best ever. I put Sam Cook in his league. The only singer today of that genre that moves me like Marvin and Sam is Robert Cray.

Speaking of music, I heard something during that countdown I described a few days ago that reminded me of some of the stuff djs used to say about Clay fans. WXPN, an alternative Public Radio played their top 885 songs on the radio based on top ten lists submitted by over 7.000 listeners. It is rare that a song played on pop radio is played on xpn. But Jason Mraz' I'm Yours made it to #23. The host (they don't call themselves djs) said that this was a real head scratcher and that the Jason Mraz fan club must have voted en masse to get that song so high on the list. I wrote on their face book page that the song set some music record for being #1 on several formats so it was possible that regular listeners of xpn voted for that song. I really dislike music elitism. Interestingly, their are alot of people on their facebook page suggesting that they do a "guilty pleasures" countdown. And their were posts in support of Jason Mraz' song.

Will all the orderlies at the nursing home look this?

holygrail.jpg

Prepares to sign over 401K funds and future Social Security payments.

Bwah..but of course!

Cagney, I love Sam Cooke too. I really am an old fogey..I can listen to that old stuff all day. I saw that Marvin was #8 on Rolling Stone's best voices of all time.

Clazy..you got that right girl!!