#54: Clay is like a box of chocolates (with a pickle on the side)

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title Poll  

67 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA

• Clay Aiken: Inner Cool
    • My Eyes Adored You
    • What joy to see him; time flew by on golden notes -- moon river echoes
    • Swoon River

Loved the gala, would love to be here again next year. Especially hearing and seeing finally clay as clay and not sir robin. Heard different opinions of clay's performance, I enjoyed it but was surprised with moon river, loved these eyes adore you and the other 2 songs. It was wonderful hearing his real voice. It was exciting seeing clayfans that I had already knew and meeting new ones. I hope this will happen again in 2010, will have to open a clay savings account I think for next time. I love ATDW cd so I guess I love hearing him sing old songs. It's going to be a long day tomorrow after a quick breakfast before rushing to airport for trip home, then spending the night in Vermont and leaving early Monday to leave on a bus to Montreal.

We also have clack but I will wait until we fly home this afternoon to upload it. Thank God I have tomorrow off to relax and relive. :wub:

Yes thank God I also have a couple of days before working Thursday evening.

:GM_FCA:

Thanks so much for getting the clack up quickly...really enjoyed listening this morning..so thrilled he sang two of my favorite songs from OMWH.

43 Days until Clay's Birthday!

:yahoo:

106 Days until GFI!

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

Thanks so much for getting the clack up quickly...really enjoyed listening this morning..so thrilled he sang two of my favorite songs from OMWH.

106 Days until GFI!

Kim

:yeahthat:

one question about the GFI.... is it just golf or is there a gala evening too?

I hope all our ladies have a safe trip to where ever their homes are and cherish the memories of last night... I thank you all for sharing your recaps of last night with us... Almost made me feel like i was there... I said Almost...

106 Days until GFI!

Kim

:yeahthat:

one question about the GFI.... is it just golf or is there a gala evening too?

I hope all our ladies have a safe trip to where ever their homes are and cherish the memories of last night... I thank you all for sharing your recaps of last night with us... Almost made me feel like i was there... I said Almost...

Yes, golfing and then dinner and auction and entertainment.

Kim

Glad to hear about the money raised for the foundation and that NIP won the cookie contest! Hope all you gals who were there had fun and thanks for bringing back clack!

Obviously, his voice was not in its best form and forgetting the words so much to GOG is not cute to me. Four songs to 'learn' and remember. I know that the Gala is not a concert, per se, and that the purpose of it is not for HIM to give to US, but the other way around. For me, though, at least after listening to the downloads, his vocal performances seemed to reflect lack of warm up or preparation and that's too bad. I hope it's only because of the rough week he's had emotionally in his personal life and/or because he's struggling with a cold or allergies or something. Hearing this particular performance of songs only made me long for what I know he CAN do. I hope Moon River, if it is on the new cd, is not indicative of the whole feel of the next musical effort. My personal opinion and tastes.

Hope he's happy and healthy.

Hope all of you are, too.

Hey y'all! Merrieeee has wandered off to the outlet mall with some of the eHP and her netbook is up and I (KAndre) am entertaining myself on it.

The Gala? Clay and the eHP looked fantabulous! And I freakin' LOVED My Eyes Adored You (which he totally lost track of at the end). ALAWH wasn't the perfection it could have been, but was better than 95% of any other live performers. It took awhile for the mike to be adjusted (because the band at the beginning was overwhelming), but improved as the evening went alone. Especially when compared to the Champions winner - who seemed to be a very nice young man, but whose voice wasn't really all that and hit some seriously painful notes. Moon River? He sang it perfectly - but it's a song I'm indifferent too. I have to say, I loved best when he made it clear he was singing songs he liked (and if you didn't, you weren't getting your money back). Just like every other artist out there. He's a balladeer...and a damn good one.

KAndre, that was one of the most positive reviews of last night I have seen. Thankyou for that!!!

But I have to say, it's been rough reading around the baords today. I'm so sad that many have sounded very disappointed in the performance part of the evening and I admit I am more than a little concerned after watching/listening to the clack. He did seem nervous and rusty as Corabeth reported, but he has sounded a little rough for awhile now. I love him so much and I don't give a rat's ass what he sings as long as he sings like the Clay Aiken I fell in love with! I wish I could give him and everyone in the fandom a great big hug today! I think many of us are in need of it. I truly hope he is ok and I am planning on him working hard to get back to the level of perfection I know he expects from himself. :hugs-1:

Here's to 2010 and Clay being everywhere....because :needclay:

Hey all! We are posting from the air between Atlanta and Buffalo. Cool technology! Have watched all the clack we have been able to download so far. I can't get enough of My Eyes Adored You and Moon River. They both blew me away. Love, love, love his attitude. Have yet to see full versions of ALAWH and GOG but can't wait. Does anyone know if that was a white knot pin he was wearing on his lapel? I can't see it clearly enough to tell.

Claymatron and cindilu2 say hi. :)

ETA: WTF? I haven't read anywhere else but here but seriously, is it that negative? We all thought it was a fantastic evening! Maybe they were at a different gala, or they had some expectations that Rocker Clay might show up, but after all this time you'd think people would get a freaking clue. I mean, I just had to laugh when he auctioned off Back For More and then said sorry, you can't get your money back and I'm gonna sing what I want, and proceeded to sing My Eyes Adored You and Moon River. You go Clay!!! :wub:

ETAA: If I wanted to read Corabeth's opinion I would have gone over and got it for myself. Just sayin'. :whistling-1:

I think a lot of the people bitching weren't actually present at the Gala.

Not sure why Clay's voice should always be perfect--no one else's is--and at least he's not lip-synching.

I think the only song Clay ever sang that I don't like is Mandy (darts out of KAndre's line of fire). I think I'm different in that I don't care what he records. I'm his beyotch when it comes to the live concerts. Those are what I care about and what I miss and will never ever skip a tour - if I have to walk one hundred miles to the venue I'll be there.

I would not be in the least bit surprised if Clay next album was standards or show tunes or ballads or disco. Heee oh well disco maybe. I just hope we get some tidbits from Clay and aren't left in the dark for rumor, inuendo, assumptions etc to take over like the last time be it the good rumors (oh this is the best music ever recorded) or the bad (Clay cried when he found out he had to do covers) all said with the conviction of Moses.

Remember my cousin? Well she doesn't work for Decca but let's just say she's in the "family." I'm holding off for now from bombarding her with any questions because I think it's more likely she may know something closer to release (if she knows anything at all) since she's in marketing. And I'm not wasting any chips right now cuz she'd probably have to search out the info or ask other people. I'm just happy to know that if it gets crazy again I have someone to promise my first born to for some truth telling.

Muski..I'm moving to your berg in January!!!

hey...no reports from the breakfast?

I'm not exactly sure when Clay's voice has supposedly gotten so bad. He hasn't sung that much since January - 7 songs? And it certainly wasn't bad on his last album or during his Spam run. So I don't really understand that part of things.

The breakfast was great. We could only stay an hour but we managed to mingle, buy beads and stuff our faces with shrimp & grits, bread pudding, eggs benedict, belgian waffles, sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs, tacos, fried potatoes, corn bread, danishes, fruit salad, biscuits and gravy......tons of food. Very southern brunch. Hee.

Thanks so much to Fear for the bead sales and FromClaygary for organizing! Who won the mosaic is what I want to know! ;)

treenuts, thanks for the hug ( I am assuming I got one as I am a proud member of the fandom!) but I really don't need one. I did read some posts from individuals, some who were there and some who were not and they were (1) concerned by the voice, (2) concerned about the song choices, (3) worried about what this means for his career.

I just don't share those worries. He sounded so amazing on Moon River to me that I would be delighted to hear that song recorded professionally. And based on his nuanced, and polished performance on that song, I have to believe it might be something they have been working on it in the studio. Some say that it was his best performance of the night because he had warmed up by that point but I think it was because it may have been the song he has sung the most lately.

I was embarrassed for Clay when he forgot the words to Grace of God. And I admit momentary irritation that he made that error. I can only imagine if he thought that would be how the rest of the evening would go. Many factors might have factored in on it, not the least being exhausted by the emotional events of the week.

Clay is a hard worker, a professional who cares about his craft. If there are vocal issues, I am confident he will or is addressing them. What I heard in Moon River, though, was one gorgeous, soulful voice, that interpreted a song I am pretty meh about, beautifully.

And, Couchie, I love Clay's version of Mandy and I hated the song with a passion. Along with Sailing. But Clay made me love those songs. How does he do it?

Thanks everyone for the recaps and pictures etc.

Is there no video of Patrick Henry Hughes?

Which shirt is in the museum in Raleigh? I was thinking that it was the BOTW one but aparently it isn't.

We have partial clack of Patrick that I will upload this evening.

After numerous listenings it seems to me that Clay was either getting a cold or dealing with allergies...he sounded nasally and hoarse at times and there were a few cracks...but those times probably added up to about 5% of the time he was singing...the rest was pure Clay. Moon River was sublime...some of those deep notes were just gah!

My Eyes Adored You...always have loved that song...reminds me of when it was first on the radio...singing along...it is a great song for that. I think the ending was purposeful...interesting and kind of jazzy.

As Long as Were Here and Grace of God are my too favorite songs on the CD and while they weren't perfect (how could he forget lyrics between rehearsal and the time he sang the song...only Clay, LOL!) but it was great hearing him sing them live.

I always look at the songs he sings at the Galas as perks...something extra for those who attended (and us at home)...and I cannot imagine going to a Gala and hearing him sing in that kind of intimate setting and then complaining because it wasn't perfect or concert professional...this wasn't a concert...it was more akin to a bunch of friends sitting around casa Aiken and Clay deciding to sing a few songs...you wouldn't expect perfection then. Can you imagine though sitting around Clay's living room listening to him sing...my dream!

The last two weeks have probably been pretty hellish for Clay with Papa dying and planning the Gala...he is probably running on fumes right now...I give him credit for doing as good a job as he did...don't know that I could have.

The CD is a long way off...plans can change, song choices can change...I figure Clay and Decca know what they are doing...so I will just leave it to them.

Sorry for being so long-winded but I have spent the day reading the boards, getting pissed and feeling a little sad at what I am reading.

Kim

And, Couchie, I love Clay's version of Mandy and I hated the song with a passion. Along with Sailing. But Clay made me love those songs. How does he do it?

I'm not quie sure. Voodoo? :hahaha:

All I know is that I'm praying for a tour next year and hope that things coincide so that he's in the east at the end of July cuz I'll be in New Jersey or Philadelphia for my family reunion anyway(they are so lagging on the planning). And then I pray he comes to the west where I can drive all over like a crazy woman. I kinda get happy just thinking about it.