#54: Clay is like a box of chocolates (with a pickle on the side)

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title Poll  

67 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA

• Clay Aiken: Inner Cool
    • My Eyes Adored You
    • What joy to see him; time flew by on golden notes -- moon river echoes
    • Swoon River

K only recalls the time when someone in an elevator mistook her for Angela ("You were wonderful! So, what's it like to perform with Clay Aiken?")
:hubbahubba: Ok, KAndre, spill! :hubbahubba:

treenuts, I said "balls" just for you. Heh.
:wub: Awe thanks, ldyj. And Clay can throw his balls at me anytime :whistling-1:

Thankyou also for the article in the Philanthropy Journal. Wow, that's something to really be proud of!! They have come such a long way in a relatively short time for a small and young foundation. :clap:

Heh, it wasn't on elevator - it was in the front of Trumps place in Atlantic City during the last shows of the JBT. Some very, very, VERY seasoned Clay fans (of the pink- and blue-haired persuation) worked up the nerve to approach me, exclaim how lovely I looked, how well I sang, and tried to get the dish on Clay and what it was like performing with him. Being the sweeter 'n sugar person that I am, I saw no point in disabusing them of the notion that I had ground against one Mr. Aiken in the past, and exclaimed happily he was hot, he loved his fans and I was extremely happy. We all went away satisfied.

This trip was fairly straightforward. Moi, merrieeee and Scarlett were taking out of Houston on 7 pm flight to Raleigh, to meet PerusingOne (who was getting the car). Kimiye wasn't showing up until Saturday. I left work early on Thursday and took Friday off to prepare for my trip (which consisted of getting my hair braided in the most painful way possible and buying new cheap clothes from Target because I am literally too lazy to wash. And Target had a sale!). I do the mani/pedi thing, track down the batteries for my camera, and realize it's 3 in the afternoon. Since merrieeee had made scoffing noises at the notion that I could get to the airport before they started boarding, I just take the bag I hadn't unpacked from Labor Day with the eHP, and toss everything I just bought from Target and my Gala ensemble in my I-swear-to-God-it-has-to-be-real-since-that-nice-Singapore-lady-wouldn't-sell-me-a-fraudulent-Samsonite-bag-for-basically-$7-now-would-she, throw both bags in the car and take off for the airport at 4pm - and immediately run into wall-to-wall traffic consisting of all the Houstonians in the Galleria/Greenway Plaza area who decided to miss the rush hour traffic. Ah well. I make the airport by 5pm, check my google phone and see there is one spot in first class open (since Scarlett got upgraded on her own merits) go through the international terminal (because heaven knows I need to have my Elite line to bypass all those who are not Elite), zip through the TSA line, text merrieeee for her vitals so she can piss off lesser Elites and get the last 1st class seat because I like her better (and it turns out she has STILL managed to beat my butt to the airport), and make a run for the gate...until I realize I still have like almost 2 hours to make it to the freakin' gate. So I go strolling casually up to the gate, squeal with merrieeee (who is still amazed that she didn't have to have them hold the plane for me. That would be Scarlett instead. Who flew in from somewhere else, was delayed for hours, didn't arrive at IAH until after 3 pm and still went home and came back to the airport carrying the 4 weeks' worth of clothes she had on the first flight, so she ended up carrying like 4 suitcases for a 2-day trip.) Not that we mocked her or anything. Okay, so we mocked her, but hell, it was mockable, unlike my unwillingness to wash clothes. Scarlett is one of the last to board, but we still get off a little early and are offered our meal selections, which are a "cheeseburger" and "Asian breaded shrimp". Anything called "Asian breaded shrimp" I know enough to stay away from, but Scarlett and merrieeee are occasionally trusting souls. Suckers. A couple of Cosmos improved my "cheeseburger" tremendously. We touch down almost 20 minutes early; PerusingOne has landed early as well and has texted us that she was picking up the rental car. I tell her we are at the baggage carousel 2. Scarlett, merrieeee and I jokingly discusss how unfair it would be to Solo if we actually we outside waiting for PerusingOne...turns out we weren't joking. Altough it was TOTALLY not our fault because when PerusingOne called to shriek 'where were we' I hadn't actually checked any of her subsequent emails that said she had gotten the car and was on her way and she apparently thought I said "Baggage Claim 2" since that's what it said outside even though she should know us well enough to know we wouldn't actually go outside and apparently carousel 2 is no where near the outside Continental sign which makes all of it Raleigh/Durham Internat'l Airport's fault. Except she was apparently at the wrong terminal (which we discovered when this delightfully attractive man overhearing my phone convo with PO let us know there were other, like, terminals) and PO didn't actually know what color car she was driving besides the fact it was dark-colored and therefore couldn't give us any specifics so we were making random guesses. She eventually showed up in a light green car. Off we went to the hotel. Me 'n PO immediately set the thermometer to an appropriate temperature for indoor living, while merrieeee and Scarlett fell victim to the idea if you can't feel your toes, it's a good thing. Eventually we all went to sleep, and at some point, PO went to get Kimiye.

Which shirt is in the museum in Raleigh? I was thinking that it was the BOTW one but aparently it isn't.

Motown night? Bluish with stripes IIRC.

claycherie... it was the first night of competition, I believe, when he did that sexy little arm movement/finger snapping to one of my fave songs from AI. The bluish stripped one was auctioned last year and was "Someone's Else's Star", country night.

clayizzy... Happy Birthday!!! :bdayparty2::bdayparty2:

As for the Gala... I cringed a bit when his voice cracked on ALAWH, but other than that, he sounded fine. Not unbelievably fine, but fine considering the week or so he's had. I lost a close friend in August and my brain was in a fog for two weeks afterwards. Even if death is a release and expected, it still takes an adjustment.

I think a lot of people were looking forward to the Gala soooo much, since he didn't do a tour last year/this year that their expectations were higher than circumstances allowed for.

What he does at the Gala doesn't influence my fandom much at all. For me, it is the fact that he ALWAYS puts on a great show when he tours. Even then he occasionally misses a note or forgets words but the overall effect is a lot of fun and a show I am happy to spend my money on multiple times. I so look forward to the next tour cause he always does some uptempo songs in the concert and he couldn't not do comedy if he tried. That and the company of like-minded Clay fans is all I need, plain and simple!

I can't hear demmit and it's driving me nuts! :tantrum:

My whole head is one big sinusey, swollen, blocked up mess. There's a reason that they say to not fly with a cold/plugged ears/ear infection. I wasn't going to miss the gala but I'm paying for it now. Ugh.

I've called in sick and have croaked at the Supply Teacher, so she's good for tomorrow. :thumbup:

I'll work away at capping clips. I'm gonna go through and get large wmvs for everything first on Windows Movie Maker on the this old fast laptop cuz I know I don't have to preview them for blips. I'll make sendspaces. Just gonna start at the beginning of the tape. If I get done, then I'll go for MPEGs on the bigger laptop tomorrow but those I gotta preview for blips.

Apologies right now for the camcorder going in and out of focus and for the "earthquakes" during the standing up and sitting down portions. The clack does skip around, lol. Sawry. :blush: The camcorder struggled a lot with focusing for some reason. Worst I've had since Detroit NAJNT. You'll see the focusing on the heads issue in the first clip with the one lady who was directly in front of me who was really tall. I was never really comfie cuz I had to keep the camcorder propped pretty high to shoot over her head. I have no explanation for the rest of the "in and out of focus" problems. The camcorder just seemed confused. :shrug Every time it went out of focus and refused to come back, I had to zoom out or move the camera around (more earthquakes) to confince it to come back into focus. Part-way through, there's a girl (who was a peasant at one of the Spam shows I went to) who stood up to stand beside her Mom, right in front of our table and directly in front of me. A lot of people were not happy that she decided to stand up in front of us and mom let her do it. I shot around her as best I could. I'm sure Scarlett got much better from where she was. She was the same distance back but had a clear hole to shoot through and looked quite securely anchored on the back of her chair.

I think a lot of people were looking forward to the Gala soooo much, since he didn't do a tour last year/this year that their expectations were higher than circumstances allowed for.

Yup.

Even if death is a release and expected, it still takes an adjustment.

Yup.

I really wasn't expecting the same level of banter that we got at the bearded Clay gala. His mind would have been elsewhere during part of the preparation stages. Have they even had the funeral yet? I doubt he had that much time to practise. His voice was kinda rusty and not warmed up (until Moonriver). I'm sure that it'll be fine come tour time.

Description: 2009 NIP Gala surprise short mid-dinner speech by Clay

You can use the following link to retrieve your file:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/s0gneq

ETA: this one just finished:

Description: 2009 NIP Gala Clay and Diane present Founders Award

http://www.sendspace.com/file/j9tf9e

Clack recommendation: artquest's Grace of God clip, cuz it includes Faye's intro and you can hear Clay in the background yell "What?" Hee. I love that.

We have an ALAWH clip but it's more than 300 mb so I can't do a sendspace for it. However it will be up in the vault shortly.

I am so excited by the prospect of mimefan audio. I think My Eyes Adored You has got to be one of my favourite cover songs that Clay has ever given us. For some reason I keep likening it to the Stump The Band treats we had in 2005. That part where he holds the note and then drops his arm at the end to signal the band, eliciting screams from the audience, thrills me. I also love Moon River. It was spellbinding to have been there to see it in person.

Back from Burlington, Vt, just love being gone for a few days, the family and hubby missed me, lol. Enjoyed so much my time with the fans and seeing Clay. So good the little bit of help I do for the foundation. Looking forward for another trip in 2010, starting a clay fund to save for that. Thanks for the clack gatherers, you were so right luckiest1 to enjoy the moment at the gala.

To all of the clack gatherers, thanks so much for doing what you do so incredibly well. PermaSwooned, your photos are gorgeous!

Thanks also to the Houston posse & friends for providing a lot of laughs today.

Clayizzy

:happybirthday03:

Canfly, feel better soon.

I need to get a message to the main blog owners RE: Deck the Halls. Carolina Clay...or anyone who knows...is there some sort of contact list?

Glad you got home safe, preden, and 'enjoyed the moment'. :) I don't know what I'd do without our wonderful clack gatherers, who allow me to relive the moments over and over and over again. :wub:

Especially My eyes adored you, was looking at it at airport while waiting for flight, nearly in tears remembering what I saw and heard!!!

Clack recommendation: artquest's Grace of God clip, cuz it includes Faye's intro and you can hear Clay in the background yell "What?" Hee. I love that.

We have an ALAWH clip but it's more than 300 mb so I can't do a sendspace for it. However it will be up in the vault shortly.

I think megaupload will do it, if you want to upload.

I had such a great time at the Gala and meeting so many fans in person. LOved seeing Clay again . I am so tired and will need a week to recover. I had to get up at 3 in the morning ot catch my 6 a.m. plane back to the Bay area{ SF} left purse in airport depot but someone yelled out they found it and returned it. The result of being overtired I guess. Wait till next year till we see most of these same people and have such a good time.

Ok, I have now listened to/watched the clack of Moon River and all I can say is BEAUTIFUL.

I actually wouldn't mind that on a cd. So shoot me. LOL

Heh, it wasn't on elevator - it was in the front of Trumps place in Atlantic City during the last shows of the JBT. Some very, very, VERY seasoned Clay fans (of the pink- and blue-haired persuation) worked up the nerve to approach me, exclaim how lovely I looked, how well I sang, and tried to get the dish on Clay and what it was like performing with him. Being the sweeter 'n sugar person that I am, I saw no point in disabusing them of the notion that I had ground against one Mr. Aiken in the past, and exclaimed happily he was hot, he loved his fans and I was extremely happy. We all went away satisfied.

:cryingwlaughter::cryingwlaughter:

canfly, feel better soon, babe. I still can't believe you flew with an inner ear infection! Yikes and ouch :hug:

Thanks to all who bring the clack! That picture by Permaswooned up there is major yum! :flirtysmile3:

I loved this one by toni7babe of Clay, Sean and Ben, the three adorable amigos -

I need to get a message to the main blog owners RE: Deck the Halls. Carolina Clay...or anyone who knows...is there some sort of contact list?

RE the latter, georgiesmybaby, I've been reading along and will take all the info you have on DTH. Musicfan123, who writes the CANN blog, will be home tonight. You can PM me here. :)

Thank you for all the clack, recaps, etc. I loved "attending" the Gala through your reports. :clap:

Canfly, hope you feel better. I didn't teach again today, but I think I'm almost well. In making the calls, I learned that the student who coughed for one solid hour last Monday later developed flu. Guess his teacher did, too.

Happy Birthday, ClayIzzaQT! :bdayparty2:

The current Carolina On My Mind blog is about the Gala, Cookie win, and Giving Challenge. Your visits are always appreciated. :)

Have a great evening, all! :BlowKiss:

Caro :listen:

Thanks for the feel better messages. As long as I stay on the ground, I should be OK, lol. I tried the old "plug the nose and blow" approach...not too hard though and I've reversed the clogging back to what it was all weekend. In other words, the left ear is back to being able to hear somewhat again.

It wasn't too painful treenuts...basically just uncomfortable. I kept opening and closing my jaw and massaging in front of my ears during all of the flights in an effort to keep something moving through. I basically just wanted to avoid blowing an eardrum, lol.

Description: 2009 NIP Gala auction Part 1 jewellery raffle, guitar, David Foster show, fugly jacket

http://www.sendspace.com/file/r81pwp