#54: Clay is like a box of chocolates (with a pickle on the side)

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title Poll  

67 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA

• Clay Aiken: Inner Cool
    • My Eyes Adored You
    • What joy to see him; time flew by on golden notes -- moon river echoes
    • Swoon River

Fans always create their own hype and blame Clay when it doesn't meet their expectations.

I don't know how many other ways he can state that he prefers singing classic songs, but I know that I had to giggle the morning after the gala when I thought about him auctioning off BFM and performing My Eyes Adored You and Moon River. Also, he has mentioned that EIDN is not something he enjoys performing (although I certainly enjoyed his performance of it last year!) and he stated that ALAWH was his favourite from OMWH. I guess I am just lucky in that I really enjoy most of the songs and genres Clay seems to enjoy. If I didn't, I don't think I'd still be here. I have no idea why some people don't just move on and find another singer who performs songs more to their liking, instead of criticizing Clay for his choices. :shrug:

I caught something nasty on the way home from Raleigh, and had to call in sick to work this morning. I am having chills and fever, and am coughing up a lung. Argh.

:yeahthat:

Sorry you're not feeling well--may byou have H1N1. Stay warm. Stay home. Drink fluids.

Hey All, just saying "hi!" I got home last night and pretty much crashed from exhaustion. I took photos and need to do a bit of editing and will post them later on today or tomorrow. Still feeling wiped out so I am going to take it easy today. As my close friends know, I was going days before and after the gala plus not enough sleep and it all finally caught up with me.

I had an awesome time and loved not only seeing Clay and supporting the National Inclusion Project but also having a reunion with so many friends and meeting many new ones too. That is what makes it all so meaningful and enjoyable to me. The breakfast was fantastic. Thank you FromClaygary for organizing it!

Like Couchie, I really need to get a job!!! I think next year is going to be great and I surely do not want to miss it.

Oh and I love Clay Aiken!! ...but you probably already knew that ;-)

Until 2007 I never posted on any message boards. Until last year I didn't belong to the OfC so no I didn't know Clay always wanted to sing standards/classics/oldies whatever they are called.

I mostly just watched YouTube & his concerts were mostly upbeat fun songs.

Am I fan of classic songs like moon river? no not really although I thought Clay sang that beautifully.

I still love Clay & his voice not sure I like his music direction I guess. I really don't feel like I have to move on maybe I will like the music once it is realised. Would I buy anyone else's cd that was all classics? no. But, I am willing to try my best to like it because I really enjoy Clay's singing but it's still not my favorite kind of music.

Canfly, your recordings have great sound!! :wub:

Good to know cuz I CAN'T HEAR THEM but everybody in the hotel room thought Moon River sounded really good! If nothing else, I've provided Goldarngirl with a good audio track for a Gala Montage DVD, lol.

:thumbup:

I have no idea why some people don't just move on and find another singer who performs songs more to their liking, instead of criticizing Clay for his choices.

Cuz of some strange magnetic hold he still has over me? And a bunch of crazy assed friends? I love his voice (cracks aside, lol) but I don't love all of his song choices...and some song choices I really don't like, lol...but then again I've always been that way. I always do a lot of ffwding and repeating of songs I do love on CDs. I AM the picky bitch after all, lol. But I'm not going anywhere. I will say that OMWH has the highest proportion of songs on it that I really DO like of any album by any artist that I've ever owned. So THERE.

I caught something nasty on the way home from Raleigh, and had to call in sick to work this morning. I am having chills and fever, and am coughing up a lung. Argh.

:therethere:

Well, that's not my bug at least, lol. I'm just waiting for Justclay or Nickikiwi to yell at me that they caught my bug. I had myself pretty heavily medicated all weekend to keep from coughing on people, so I wouldn't share my germs and had waaaaaaaaaay over the recommended dose in me during the gala, so I wouldn't cough on the clack, lol. I had nothing much in my lungs though...just an annoying throat tickle. Oddly enough, my nose hasn't been that blocked up but my ears are still plugged SOLID. My doc is at the walk-in clinic tonight, so gonna go there tonight.

Canfly, your recordings have great sound!! :wub:

Well, you just answered a question I was going to ask -- if I want an mp3 of Moon River, whose should I get? I guess I now know!

:meme:

Mind you, we haven't heard Scarlett's yet. :tapfoot: Hers should be good because she was also back aways and fairly central. Her camcorder has a totally different sound than the rest. Spot and I have identical camcorders, so sound should be similar except she was up close, so she should have awesome vid and I was further back and central, so mine won't be the best vid but should have the better sound..... I think.

Toni7babe got some awesome vid but she uses a digital camera, so the sound can never be as good as from a camcorder.

If you look at Clay's past concerts I don't think they have been a ton of fast upbeat songs. There was a nice mix of tempos and he always had classic songs. I'm not putting him in a box of someone who only likes ballads but from what he's said about what he likes -- it's christian music but no one is going to let him put that out. His favorite artists are people like James Taylor. The first time he mentions a favorite song on that billboard interview - he literally picked some old R&B unknown ballad that even I hadn't heard of. I wonder if Clay even listens to top 40 radio. I don't think he does. I think OMWH is about as far out as he's going to get. I loved that album so I'm fine with it.

The songs he chose to sing on Tour: removing all album songs

Independent:

- Kyrie Eleison

- All About Love (contemporary Christian song by Steven Curtin Chapman)

- Fields of Gold (accoustic -Sting)

- Carolina On My Mind (accoustic - James Taylor)
- When I need You (accoustic)

- When Doves Cry (Prince--begins accoustic)

- Open Arms (duet with Kelly Clarkson)

Solo tour

Where the Streets Have No Name

Kyrie

James Taylor medley:

Sweet Baby James
(lead by Clay)

How Sweet It Is
(lead by Angela)

Fire and Rain
(lead by Jacob)

Whenever I See Your Smiling Face
(lead by Quiana)

You've Got a Friend
- Clay sang back-up for most of this medley

Still the One

All About Love (later changed to duets with the backups)

Band Introductions

Rosanna

You Were There

Jukebox tour -- the only tour where he had a ton of upbeat stuff but it was mostly in the 50's and 60's and it was a themed show. His full songs in a sea of medleys were: Unchained Melody, Suspicious Minds, Solitare, Bridge over Troubled Waters, Mandy and Sailing. His previewed songs for his album were mostly ballads or mid temp for Back for More.

The Fifties

Medley

Twisting the Night Away

At the Hop

Johnny B Goode

Rockin Robin

The Great Pretender

Only You

Mr. Sandman

That'll be the Day

Great Balls of Fire

Rock and Roll is Here to Stay

Unchained Melody - full song

Elvis Medley

Love Me Tender

Hound Dog

Blue Suede Shoes

Don't Be Cruel

Heartbreak Hotel

Jailhouse Rock

Fools Rush In

Suspicious Minds - full song

The Sixties

Medley

Daydream Believer

Downtown

Can't Buy Me Love

Sugar, Sugar

Happy Together

Solitaire - full song

Motown Medley

Where Did Our Love Go? (Angela)

Midnight Train to Georgia (Quiana)

My Girl

Tears of a Clown

Rescue Me (performed by Angela Fisher)

I Heard it on the Grapevine (Jacob)

I'll Be There

Think (Angela)

Ain't No Mountain High Enough

SECOND HALF

The Seventies

Medley

Carwash

Oh, What a Night

September

Nights on Broadway

Too Much Heaven

I Feel the Earth Move (Quiana)

Mandy -full song

Bridge Over Troubled Water - full song

The Eighties

When Doves Cry - full song

Medley

All Night Long

Never Gonna Give You Up

Alone

Rock With You (Jacob)

Sailing - FULL SONG

The Nineties

Medley

Can't Touch This

Black Velvet

End Of The Road (Clay/Jacob)

Iris

Livin' La Vida Loca

I Can't Make You Love Me

I Will Always Love You (Quiana)

The 00's

MOAM Medley

I Will Carry You

The Way

When You Say You Love Me

Back For More-full

Just You - Full

Invisible - Full

For the DCAT to bring upbeat into the tour he did tv medleys and another medley that for the most part he did for laughs. It was his tour --nothing stopping him from infusing a bunch straight upbeat songs if he wanted to. IMO..I know there were two or more interpretations on what he was doing with that. To me he wasn't saying I can do this type of thing better than Justin Timberlake.

I definitely think of Clay as an artist that can do a lot of things. To me - his 60s motown stuff - my favorite - was a revelation. He can do it and do it well. Whatever he chooses to do I don't expect it to veer away from what he's done already. I think the JBT, my favorite tour, was the one that showcased so many styles and him getting up there and singing La Vida Loca or Iris raised hopes about what he would do on an album. But I've always felt those songs were more the exception rather than the rule. Even though I said I wouldn't be surprised if he did a standards album I don't think of Clay as a standards artist. I do think of him more of a balladeer but that's different.

Still trying to recover from the Gala. I don't do losing sleep well, and we didn't get to bed until almost 3 AM after the Gala. Hung out in the bar area with other fans living in the afterglow of the awesome evening. Loved seeing FEAROFH2O and georgiesbybaby and others from here ( who's names I can't remember). It was such a fun evening and seeing how far Clay's dream has come was so inspiring. The NIP just epitomizes class and professionalism. I was so impressed!!

I don't know I wasn't at the concert only watched them on YouTube & they were fun & uptempo (or may mid tempo) songs to me.

Anyway I'll drop that altogether but he can't get rid of me that easily.

Recently posted on twitter from a teenage fan from Indonesia (her friend she gave her Clay's Christmas cd)

What an angel's voice that you have, Clay. I can't take my eyes and ears off of you. I'm freezing when i see and listen to you.

about 9 hours ago from mobile web

Still jealous with those kids...

about 10 hours ago from mobile web

Watching a Clay Aiken's Christmas again.What do you feel if you watch your idol with a big TV and listen to his voice with a big speaker

From CV:

Bringing this over...posted by claziness at OC. They did the right thing by not taking a picture but darn it! I would love to see the little guy!

Before we all went our separate ways last Sunday, some friends and I went to The Weathervane Restaurant in A Southern Season in Chapel Hill. As we were leaving, we walked right by Jaymes, Parker and Jaymes' sister and her husband (I suppose). We all saw them at almost the same time and tried to act "normal", even though we know we are the quintessential looking Claymates. No one spoke or ran up to her or bothered Parker, and it WAS totally random, so I don't mind reporting it. Besides, we were in a totally different town, and not stalking one of Clay's favorite restaurants.

Parker is BEAUTIFUL!! He has blond hair with slight red highlights and curls, curls, curls. He hasn't had his first haircut yet either. He looks so long at 14 months, especially since petite Jaymes was carrying him. Someone said his eyes are brown. I only saw a profile view and he still has those precious cheeks we saw in the LA picture.

NO pictures were taken!

If mimefan really recorded, hers will probably be awesome as well. :)

What? Is she not sure if she really recorded or what, lol?

In anycase, by the time it all rolls in, Luckiest1-Goldarngirl productions oughta have TONS of Gala footage to make a Gala montage from! :thumbup:

Scarlett sweetie? Can we get a sample, lol? Moonriver perhaps? :please:

Couchie? You bored hon? :hahaha:

I am having chills and fever, and am coughing up a lung. Argh.
\

luckiest1, that "coughing up a lung" is the best description I've heard lately. I finally went to the doctor this morning. My ailment is a "bronchial/sinusitis" combo. I currently have at least one music student with swine flu.

Feel better soon ... and don't take three weeks to see the doc as I did! :friends:

Love the CV poster's description of the Jaymes-Parker meeting in Chapel Hill, merrieee. I can just picture those uncut curls. :)

Thnx for the DTH info, georgiesmybaby!

Take care, all ... :BlowKiss:

Caro :listen:

Nice picture of Clay! Wonder why he was touring the State Capitol...checking things out in case he ever runs for office?

Kim

Not positive if the older woman is her, but the photo is part of North Carolina Governor Bev Perdue's flickr photostream.

ETA: maybe his visiting is due to this?

North Carolina Bev Perdue Proudly Welcomes Enable America

North Carolina Gov. Bev Perdue is encouraged by Enable America’s expansion in North Carolina, as this month the non-profit organization is introducing new programs designed to increase employment opportunities in the state for people with disabilities.

“Enable America has a distinguished record of helping people with disabilities,” Gov. Perdue said. “Increasing North Carolina’s employment rate for all people, especially for those with disabilities, is vital to the economic future of our state. Enable America’s dedication and expertise in this area is needed and welcome.”

Enable America’s outreach in Raleigh and North Carolina comes in conjunction with the 10th anniversary of Disability Mentoring Day, an event founded by the American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD), which is next Wednesday, October 21. Enable America will hold a public celebration of the day that morning at the Marriott City Center in Raleigh.