#54: Clay is like a box of chocolates (with a pickle on the side)

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title Poll  

67 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA

• Clay Aiken: Inner Cool
    • My Eyes Adored You
    • What joy to see him; time flew by on golden notes -- moon river echoes
    • Swoon River

So it was fan hype? Pffft. JMO...Clay should not get blamed for failing to deliver on fan hype.

While we're discussing let's not forget ...

Upbeat is a mood.

Uptempo is a speed.

An uptempo song is not necessarily upbeat (WDC)

An upbeat song is not necessarily uptempo (IWCY)

:rainbowsmile:

heeee :04:

If mimefan really recorded, hers will probably be awesome as well. :)

What? Is she not sure if she really recorded or what, lol?

In anycase, by the time it all rolls in, Luckiest1-Goldarngirl productions oughta have TONS of Gala footage to make a Gala montage from! :thumbup:

Scarlett sweetie? Can we get a sample, lol? Moonriver perhaps? :please:

Yes, we both did. I'm sending this to Eva right now but here's a sample (now could you please answer my 20 questions question, please?)

Moon River mp3 - 7MB

ETA: Ooops, my bad. I guess you answered them all this pm.

ETAA: *waves to keepingfaith* Some folks were wanting to say hi to you this weekend!

EYATA: *waves wildly to Caro too!* Thanks!

Well thankfully, the music Clay likes to sing is usually the music I like to listen to, but for me, it all goes back to the voice. Even when he has sung songs in concert that I haven't liked by the original artist, heck even when he has sung TV show theme songs, I get wrapped up in that voice. And after listening to Moon River over and over again since Saturday, I am in love all over again. I don't know the Andy Williams version. Liked his Christmas shows when I was a kid but wouldn't have bought a cd of his, but I loved the version done in Breakfast at Tiffany's by Audrey Hepburn. Clay brings that same kind of wistfulness that she brought. And that deep, husky sound he brings to the song just gives me shivers.

CF, if you get me sick, I'm seriously gonna hurt you. I will hunt you down.

As much as I am a music lover, I don't think of what I like according to genre. I like tons of Motown, but not all of it. Mostly The Supremes, The Temps, The Four Tops, and Marvin Gaye. I also am a devotee of classic Wilson Picket, Otis Redding, Joe Tex, Bobby Bland. I am toast for Dylan, Baez, Richie Havens, The Byrds, and Donovan. My girl icon of the 60's was Dusty Springfield. I have a passion for Led Zeppelin, especially early Zeppelin (although some would argue it was never late). I like a lot of U2, but not all of it, and the U2 I do love is almost religious. I adore the Moody Blues forever, a more esoteric religion. I buy Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains. Elton John and I share a soul somehow. I listen to Shumann and Mendelssohn, Bach, Mozart and Beethoven. Everyone should know by now how I feel about The Beatles. My most recent CD purchases have been The Beatles.

Nothing, absolutely nothing in my past musically would indicate that I would fall in love with Clay Aiken singing songs. I don't have a history with crooners, I mean, Neil Diamond was always too crooner for me. Not a fan of Sinatra, or Elvis either, after he became a crooner. I did enjoy the All Shook Up era when I was a kid watching my teenage cousins bopping around to Elllllllllll-vis. But the balladeer Elvis had me moving up the radio dial. All the Tony Bennett, Bobby Darin, swinger singers totally escaped me. When I heard Paula Abdul say that Clay would sing Mack the Knife that night on Idol, I groaned. I really did groan. So, what happened was that he completely kicked my ass with that one. And that one long last note. He owns that note. And it was saloon, but transcendent saloon. He HAD me with that last note. So do I want him to sing I Left My Heart in San Francisco, or Everybody Loves Somebody Sometime? Unh-unh. On one hand, I'm not a fan of the balladeers; on the other hand, I'd lie down in the middle of road for Clay Aiken to record Mack the Knife. So who do I pay for my time on the couch here? Ha! (Maybe I just answered my own question! :tomato: ) I recently read a Paul McCartney interview where he was asked what music he likes to listen to. His answer was Nat Cole. He only recently discovered him and can't get enough. However, I can't imagine Macca singing Ramblin' Rose!!! Okay, enough tangential thinking for me tonight.

ETA:

ETAA: *waves to keepingfaith* Some folks were wanting to say hi to you this weekend!

Scarlett, were any of those folks wearing glasses and had spikey hair? :wub: Ha!

ETA:

Scarlett, were any of those folks wearing glasses and had spikey hair? :wub: Ha!

Yes, and I had to console him because he was so disappointed to hear that you weren't coming... :hahaha:

I don't know if this has been answered yet... but I am working on my photos and Clay is wearing the new National Inclusion Project pin on his lapel.

Thanks!

Can't believe the level of hate I've been reading (mainly elsewhere) for MEAY. Who knew I had such bad taste in music? :cryingwlaughter:

Can't believe the level of hate I've been reading (mainly elsewhere) for MEAY. Who knew I had such bad taste in music? :cryingwlaughter:

Well after hearing how bad my taste is since ADTW, I'm pretty much resigned to it. :snoopy:

luckiest, you are not alone. I wasn't sure about that song when he started but once again I was enraptured with his version. I only listen to lyrics when Clay sings. I'm not sure why.

In my youth, I was a big fan of Bobby Darin and Johnny Mathis. I have no fear of crooners.

Well after hearing how bad my taste is since ADTW, I'm pretty much resigned to it. :snoopy:

Count me in the club too because I just LOVED LOVED LOVED My Eyes Adored You... gah!!!

I loved ALL the songs from last weekend including GOG that seems so forlorn right now since everyone is swooning over MR & MEAY. *pats GOG and ALAWH*

*wonders if he'll sing GOG at the next Gala or GFI and keeps fingers crossed*

I loved ALL the songs from last weekend including GOG that seems so forlorn right now since everyone is swooning over MR & MEAY. *pats GOG*

(*gives Scarlett an inclusion brownie point*) Thanks for the MR download! For me, MR was a consummation devoutly to be wished (*I was waiting forever for this*).

So it was fan hype? Pffft. JMO...Clay should not get blamed for failing to deliver on fan hype.

While we're discussing let's not forget ...

Upbeat is a mood.

Uptempo is a speed.

An uptempo song is not necessarily upbeat (WDC)

An upbeat song is not necessarily uptempo (IWCY)

:rainbowsmile:

heeee :04:

OK, so I like a mix of uptempo and upbeat and slower and heart-wrenching songs OK, lol?

I'm sending this to Eva right now but here's a sample (now could you please answer my 20 questions question, please?)

Moon River mp3 - 7MB

Scarlett -- GAH ... AWESOME ... GAH!!! Thank you ... :wub:

Caro :listen:

Next time, warn a girl when a link isn't to a page with downloads! I left clicked on the link assuming it would open a page where I could right click/save as but wmp opened up and I went eeeeeeeeeek! and closed it faaaast, lol.

Warning! Right click/save as on the link!!! :blush:

CF, if you get me sick, I'm seriously gonna hurt you. I will hunt you down.

:chair:

I don't know if this has been answered yet... but I am working on my photos and Clay is wearing the new National Inclusion Project pin on his lapel.

Thanks!

I just realized what MEAY was lol. :doh: Why hate? I haven't re-listened to anything, except for when I was capping cuz I can't hear worth a damn and it's like after you go swimming and get an earful of water, except it won't go away! My speakers aren't the best and I can't stand to wear earbuds and it's freaking driving me nuts. I got a cortisone based nasal spray and another antibiotic at the walk-in tonight. Hopefully in a couple of days, I'll be actually able to hear the songs properly. From what I could hear, I liked all of the songs (cracks aside, a couple of which made cringe slightly that night). From what I could tell, both MEAY (heh) and MR were both swoonworthy. Both are beautiful songs.

I would have liked to have heard one uptempo song (AKA: faster song with a BEAT, lol) but I liked all of the songs and it was a Gala not a concert. :shrug:

:GM_FCA:

Tech Question...I went to listen to Gala Clack this morning and I have no sound...when I click on my volume icon in my task bar it says I have no active mixer devices...have no idea what this means or how to fix it...anyone? I went to my control panel and clicked on sound/audio and it tells me all my devices are working properly..I am very confused.

39 Days until Clay's Birthday!

:yahoo:

101 Days until GFI!

:yahoo:

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

I just realized what MEAY was lol. :doh: Why hate?

Because (checks calendar) - it is time for some of the fans to start picking out the songs/eras/styles/etc. that better not be on Clay's next CD.

From here on out, even if Clay is caught humming along to ANYTHING, some fans will speak out against that song immediately and forcefully, to let him know that it should NOT be on that next CD.

Or damn the song with faint praise, or trivialize it with imagined meaning to Clay, while carefully explaining how very very wrong it is.

Spectator sport now, really! :-O

I would be surprised if some are not trying to ferret out recording studio or arranger or band info - but that usually gets disseminated through back channels for a while, if anything is discovered.

I just realized what MEAY was lol. :doh: Why hate?

Because (checks calendar) - it is time for some of the fans to start picking out the songs/eras/styles/etc. that better not be on Clay's next CD.

From here on out, even if Clay is caught humming along to ANYTHING, some fans will speak out against that song immediately and forcefully, to let him know that it should NOT be on that next CD.

Or damn the song with faint praise, or trivialize it with imagined meaning to Clay, while carefully explaining how very very wrong it is.

But do they really expect that if they bitch and moan loud enough that he will finally see the light and sing what they think is marketable? It's been 7 years people, if you don't know Clay Aiken by now...you never will.

Kim

aikim, I googled your error message (which is usually quite helpful) and found this for you:

Go to Start --> Run, and type in services.msc.

A window will pop up with a list of services. Scroll down to Windows Audio. Right-click

and click on Properties.

Make sure that "Startup type" is set to automatic. Also, make sure, under "Service

status," start is selected.

See if that helps.

As for your other question...no, I don't think the complainers really think it will change anything. IMO, it's just to hear themselves. I'm still learning to "tune them out," but that really is the best thing to do. If people stop arguing with them (or for that matter, commenting on them), I'm hoping that some will realize that they are talking in a vacuum. Meanwhile, I'm just going to enjoy what I have, and in this case, what I had -- a great weekend, supporting a good cause, talking with my friends, and enjoying Clay -- his heart, mind, voice, and humor.

You know, we're starting to get close to the end of the thread (finally!). Do we have any suggestions for thread titles?

I would be surprised if some are not trying to ferret out recording studio or arranger or band info - but that usually gets disseminated through back channels for a while, if anything is discovered.

Are you telling me that some people are issuing their regular ultimatums to Clay again? I don't know whether to :cryingwlaughter: or :cry4:.

Are the music industry experts in the fandom sharing their expertise as to the path toward his greater success, and is Clay not playing along with their career plan? Is he again ignoring their pronouncements on the songs he should record? If so, it's definitely a :hahaha: for me.

To be sure, I'll always be a fan of Clay Aiken. Can't be sure I'll always be on fan boards, because if FCA ever went away (God forbid), I'd probably confine myself to lurking at the OFC for status reports. I certainly wouldn't associate myself with places that censor some speech while giving wide berth to ripping Clay Aiken to shreds, or boring me to tears with faux authoritarianism over his career choices. There's a difference between expressing honest opinion and grinding the old ax. Oy vey!

To be clear, Clay can go on Broadway again, do a talk show, take a recurring role in a TV comedy, record every couple of years and tour occasionally while spending most of his time working with National Inclusion, or blow up to the heighths of all glory with adoring multitudes and paparazzi camped on his front lawn; he can sing classics, new songs, obscure oldies, write all his own material, or never write another song. I'm along for the ride and I appreciate how cool he really is. Not transitory/popular cool, but inner cool. I trust that he knows who he is and what he wants and how to get it. I draw no lines in the sand. I'm not open to disappointments regarding what he does with his singing stardom. I just ask for more recorded music to increase his repertoire and my choices. And I'm going to get it! YAY!!!

If others have a limit to what they can listen to and enjoy, that's their deal. I just don't know why we all have to suffer through hearing about it over and over and over again.