#55: My Eyes Adored You

ldyjocelyn

Next Thread Title  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• Lots to look forward to. Clay being Clay. It's all good.
    • His heart's big enough for the whole world
    • Big heart, big feet, big......Man
    • Clay's going to sing. Life is good.
    • It's going to be the Summer of Clay
    • If Clay's happy, I'm happy. I don't care shit whether he rocks, sways, or jiggles.
    • What more could a girl (or guy) want?
    • Clay will sing, he'll sound great, and I'll be a happy camper.

Good morning! Looked at dvds of clay in concert at SRHP tour and clack from the gala, it's so nice to see them after seeing him live at the gala. I love him even more now after the gala, can't wait to see what he will do in 2010!

I will be getting the H1N1 flu shot on Thursday as the hospital where I work is beginning to give it to the staff, many still don't want to take it and it's their choice but I have 2 teenagers and don't want to catch it and bring it home to the family. I was just wondering as I know many have already got it in the US and if anyone had a reaction to it more than can be expected. The hospital is highly recommending that we take it. I hope you all don't mind me asking this. Have a good day, keep washing your hands.

Good morning! Looked at dvds of clay in concert at SRHP tour and clack from the gala, it's so nice to see them after seeing him live at the gala. I love him even more now after the gala, can't wait to see what he will do in 2010!

I will be getting the H1N1 flu shot on Thursday as the hospital where I work is beginning to give it to the staff, many still don't want to take it and it's their choice but I have 2 teenagers and don't want to catch it and bring it home to the family. I was just wondering as I know many have already got it in the US and if anyone had a reaction to it more than can be expected. The hospital is highly recommending that we take it. I hope you all don't mind me asking this. Have a good day, keep washing your hands.

The shot is not available to me, but I'm in contact with people I don't know all day long. So I'm washing!!

PS Thanks ldyj for bringing that over!

Morning all. Couchie what a funny story. :cryingwlaughter: Hope your nose is ok. :)

preden, there seems to be so much fear around this flu, and the H1N1 shot as well, doesn't there? So many people are afraid that if they get the shot, it will lower their defenses against other types of flu, etc. So far it's not available here unless you have an underlying medical condition or are pregnant. I don't know if what I had was H1N1 or not (the doctor did not swab) but I am tempted to go and get the shot when it's available anyways, because the news stories are starting to freak me out. An apparently completely healthy 13 year old was here in our city over the weekend for a hockey tournament. He went to a walk in clinic with a fever and cough and they checked him out, listened to his lungs, said he was fine, just had the flu, to go home and rest, monitor his condition, etc. Exactly what happened to me. The next day at home in Toronto, he was feeling better and his dad reports that his fever went down. Then he apparently passed out, stopped breathing, and died before the ambulance could reach him. And that's just one of the horrific stories I've heard on the news lately.

So yeah, I'd be interested in hearing about anyone's experience with the H1N1 vaccine as well. Son #2 has just developed the same symptoms that I had.

I didn't realize this was the new thread. Duh! I'm going to get anesthesized this morning to get a tooth removed. I'll probably sleep the rest of the day.Sure can use the rest. :cryingwlaughter: I am missing my morning coffee.

Have a great morning and get ready for the Clay attack. Next year.

I work in a Pediatric Intensive Care and our unit was able to get the shot on Monday. I opted not to, just like I have for many years with the seasonal, because of all my allergies. I will take my chance. What was interesting was when I did not get the seasonal about one month ago I had to sign a paper because I refused and why. This time I did not. We have had several suspected cases that we have isolated. I was in one room with a child on a ventilator all day Monday. After that many hours with gloves, gown, and mask I really was going stir crazy. I got out for a total of 20 minutes in a twelve hour shift. We did not put the child in isolation until I had been in the room for three hours. We sent a specimen, started her on tamiflu, placed her in isolation, which is our policy if you send a specimen. It takes 5 days to get the results because it is a send out to the state. Most of our kids who we have tested are home before results would of gotten back to us, so who knows if they were positive. Most of my fellow employees are getting the shot. I am hoping I do not get it, but I have never got the seasonal flu. I did take the old swine flu vaccine back in the 70's. The nasal vaccine now is a live virus and those of us over 49 are not offered this as of now. The shot is not live, and that is the problem for me with my allergies. I am not ready to go into shock if I take it, they keep telling me they have an epi pen ready, I will take my chances.

My grandson who is 18 and has a ton of allergies, also asthma; was given the flu shot and the H1N1 last week. He is back in college now and seems to be doing fine. They only gave my younger grandson the flu shot as they do not enough H1N1 for everyone. Hopefully he can get it later if they get some more in.

My grandson who is 18 and has a ton of allergies, also asthma; was given the flu shot and the H1N1 last week. He is back in college now and seems to be doing fine. They only gave my younger grandson the flu shot as they do not enough H1N1 for everyone. Hopefully he can get it later if they get some more in.

Here in Quebec, they are not giving both shots at the same time, we would get the regular flu shot in January. An emergency doctor told a friend of mine that the 3 major symptoms of the H1N1 is fever, muscular pain and cough. We must not panic but just use common sense on protecting ourselves, have good living habits, regular hand washing, eating right and rest. If one starts panicking it will just attract it to us. Time will tell what will happen, I just hope that things won't be so bad that I'll be stuck at the hospital for short of nurses.

Last December I was extremely ill for nearly 2 weeks with the seasonal flu. I have some health issues including Fibromyalgia and seem to catch the flu every year. I also have small sinuses so anytime I get a virus with congestion issues I go into sinus infections. Last year's flu ended up as both a sinus infection and bronchitis and I was so sick I missed Christmas entirely. The year before that I was sick through New Years. So this year I got the seasonal flu shot two weeks before the gala because I also tend to get sick when I fly, and also when I do not get enough rest. I am happy to report I did not get sick this year! The day I left Raleigh (Monday) I had a very slight sore throat and was achy which lasted about 3 days. Its hard to tell because with me it could have been me fighting a bug or it may have just been been allergies and the Fibro from exhaustion. Either way after getting a lot of sleep both cleared up. I tend to need a lot of sleep otherwise I do feel ill and well I didn't exactly get a lot of sleep during the gala trip. lol

The H1N1 vaccine is only available here in the inhaled version which contains the live virus and I won't take any vaccine with a live virus because of my own health issues and because of autoimmune conditions in my genes. If we end up getting the vaccine that is a shot with the dead virus I will likely get that immunization. My brother Rob came home from summer camp in September and was sick with the flu for over a week. He eventually went into a sinus infection and ear infection. Guess that runs in the family! I was not happy with his doctor because he did not test him for H1N1 or give him Tamiflu even though he diagnosed him with the flu. Rob was really sick and we had a hard time getting him to drink for hydration, nevermind eating. Rob has developmental disabilities so its hard for him to understand he needed to swallow even though it hurt. Three weeks after he got back we received notice from the camp that the kids had all been exposed to H1N1 and that several campers had gotten it. Two of Rob's other friends also came back with the flu. We followed protocols recommeded by the CDC including staying away from Rob as much as possible. We gave him hand sanitizer and antibacterial hand wipes which he used each time he coughed, sneezed or blew his nose. We used face masks and anytime anyone cared for him, gave him food/drink/medicine, etc. we immediately washed well. Fortunately nobody else in the household caught what we are pretty sure was H1N1. This was especially important because my dad has Type II Diabetes and my mom has Rhumatoid Arthritis.

I'm not sure what the age cut off is but my mother's doctor said she didn't need the H1N1 due to her age and that she has some immunity. (70).

Oh wow that would be good to know. My Dad is 62 and actually his diabetes doctor has him get the seasonal flu shot twice a year because of concerns about the flu so I guess he isn't there yet. hee

I just wanted to say hello this afternoon to everyone at FCA, especially the ladies I met for the first time and the ones I "re-met" at the Gala...and the ones I missed since I couldn't come to the breakfast!!

I don't post much but I read here everyday and enjoy the conversations and especially enjoyed the photos of Clay contest!

Hope to see some of you at GFI and "on the road with Clay" next year!

Libby

H1N1 and Seniors immunity. There are lots of theories about why seniors seem to have some protection against H1N1. Bottom line is that if the vaccine is available to you no matter your age it is recommended you get it.

Fox News Health Page

So what are my options if I don’t want to get vaccinated?

Pregnant women, children and teens are at extreme risk for dangerous H1N1 complications, including death, and should be vaccinated no matter what.

Others, however, may have some leeway to play with.

If you had a documented case of H1N1 during the 2008-2009 flu season, you probably have partial immunity. But if the strain changes between now and December, you could be susceptible to contracting the new virus without any immunity.

Many people who were around during the swine flu outbreak in 1976 have been found to have an immunity to H1N1. Also, people over the age of 50 who have been getting an annual flu shot for most of their adult lives (all flu shots contain some form of the H1N1 virus) also appear to have partial immunity.

On Sunday, health officials reported that an estimated 10 percent of the population in New York City was infected with the virus in the spring. While not all cases of H1N1 flu virus were documented, some people may be surprised to find that they have partial immunity when the virus re-emerges as predicted in the fall.

And if you think you may fall into that category, there are ways to find out.

If you had flu-like symptoms in the spring but weren't diagnosed with H1N1, you can get tested to see if the virus antibodies are in your system. There are labs that can test to find out if you are immune to this strain or a previous strain — but you’ll have to pay out of pocket.

Doctors strongly advise getting the seasonal flu vaccine because while a resurgence of the H1N1 flu virus may be on the horizon, there may be other strains of flu making their rounds, and you don’t want to leave yourself susceptible to them.

Reuters contributed to this article.

McKnights news page

Seniors' H1N1 immunity could come from seasonal flu exposure, vaccinations

October 16, 2009

Seniors' apparent immunity from swine flu could indicate that the human population, as a whole, has a preexisting immunity to H1N1. Such thinking would help explain why H1N1 symptoms have been generally mild, researchers said Wednesday.

Scientists at the University of California-Davis said certain elements in the H1N1 strain of influenza have been found in past seasonal strains of the flu. Proteins in viruses called epitopes are less likely to change from strain to strain. When they reviewed the information on swine flu, researchers found the H1N1 strain contains roughly a dozen such epitopes that appeared in recent seasonal strains of the flu. Some individuals over the age of 60 were likely exposed to those strains in their youth, researchers say.

Researchers also note that, while most immunity measures focus on anti-bodies, that's not the body's only defense against viruses. The body also makes cytotoxic T-cells, which produce antiviral chemicals. It is this cellular protection that could also be contributing to the more mild symptoms associated with the disease, according to researchers. The study appears in the journal Emerging Infectious Diseases.

I chatted you up in IM but happy Birthday Cindilu. Hope it was a great day!

This is kinda gross and funny so skip if you hate gross. I was leaving to pick up the kids. Had just left my house and was almost to the freeway.. running a bit behind as usual..all of a sudden I noticed my nose was bleeding. What to do. What to do. Too late to go home. So I keep driving. Ask my mom to look around for tissues, napkins, anything. Lord knows I buy enough happy meals these days. Nothing. Meanwhile nose is dripping. I'm wiping it with the back of my hand. I'm really a mess. Then I remember I have a sanitary napkin in my purse. Yes you got it. for the next 15 minutes I had peices of Always in my nose. Had my mom go into the school and get me some wet paper towels to clean myself up. It's been that kind of day.

couchie.... :hahaha::hahaha:

I have a very strong immune system and have not had a cold or the flu for years, knock on wood. Crossing my fingers that holds with the H1N1. I'm afraid of the flu shots cause almost everyone I know that has gotten them has gotten sick from them. We'll see... I may change my mind if this gets worse.

I'm not sure what the age cut off is but my mother's doctor said she didn't need the H1N1 due to her age and that she has some immunity. (70).

Here, we're being told 57. Supposedly due to the influenza in the '50's, we have some immunity. I rarely get this type of thing, so I'm not too worried *knocks on wood*

*waves* hippoga...hoping to see you at GFI as well! *gets down on knees and prays for lottery win...hmmm...would buying a ticket help??*

Passing along a treat posted on FB: :)

Wanna support inclusion and send someone (even yourself) a yummy treat? Visit Christie Cookies and order

some of the best cookies ever! When you check out enter "25K01," and 20%

of your purchase will be designated as a donation to the National Inclusion Project!

I also am hoping my immunity because of my age and the fact I did have the swine flu shot in 1976 will help me. My mother got her seasonal but not the H1N1. My only concern is taking some of the virus home with me. I try very hard not to expose my mother or my grandson. My DIL wanted me to stop by on Saturday to see my grandson in his costume. I told her I will stop by later in the evening after I have been home and showered and changed clothes.

I also am hoping my immunity because of my age and the fact I did have the swine flu shot in 1976 will help me. My mother got her seasonal but not the H1N1. My only concern is taking some of the virus home with me. I try very hard not to expose my mother or my grandson. My DIL wanted me to stop by on Saturday to see my grandson in his costume. I told her I will stop by later in the evening after I have been home and showered and changed clothes.

Do you think that because of H1N1 we are starting to do things we should have been doing all along. I know some of my new habits are starting to become second nature. Just small stuff like when using public washrooms I pull the paper towel I need and then wash my hands. Then I use the towel to open the door and toss it in the trash on the way out. When I get home I wash my hands before I do more than hollar a greeting to my family. I do it that way all the time now. My house is still dusty and cluttered, but those are my messes and germs not some strangers.

I have always wash my hands constantly at work, when I enter a patient room and when I leave their room, so that is not knew for me. I think we are just more aware. I went on a cruise two years ago and I was very careful when opening bathroom doors and touching faucets. When my children were little I never came near them when I got home to I took a shower. I think now because I have no younger ones at home I was not doing that all the time and I am very careful if I have to go anywhere when I leave work who I will be near now. Chances are I am not bringing anything home but you do not know.

I have a very strong immune system and have not had a cold or the flu for years, knock on wood. Crossing my fingers that holds with the H1N1. I'm afraid of the flu shots cause almost everyone I know that has gotten them has gotten sick from them. We'll see... I may change my mind if this gets worse.

I have a very strong immune system too, and have not had a 'flu' type virus for about 17 years, until last week. I have never had a flu shot in my life. I rarely get colds. But I think I will be first in line for the H1N1 vaccine when it's available. I don't want to get sick again like last week....and I surely don't even want to think about worse scenarios. I am going to try everything in my power to coerce my kids into getting the shot, too.

I think I will just stay in the house the rest of the week. Had a flat tire on the freeway with the kids in the back. Fortunately I was in the slow lane and was able to pull completely out of traffic. But you learn something every day. Had no clue that there were tow truck drivers driving up and down the freeways to help people in distress FOR FREE. An angel of mercy named Jamie put my donut on the car. Auntie was scared to death before that tow truck pulled up -- kids had an adventure though being able to get out of the car on the freeway. My brother in law gave me 2 beers for my trouble. I think I have earned them.

I chatted you up in IM but happy Birthday Cindilu. Hope it was a great day!

This is kinda gross and funny so skip if you hate gross. I was leaving to pick up the kids. Had just left my house and was almost to the freeway.. running a bit behind as usual..all of a sudden I noticed my nose was bleeding. What to do. What to do. Too late to go home. So I keep driving. Ask my mom to look around for tissues, napkins, anything. Lord knows I buy enough happy meals these days. Nothing. Meanwhile nose is dripping. I'm wiping it with the back of my hand. I'm really a mess. Then I remember I have a sanitary napkin in my purse. Yes you got it. for the next 15 minutes I had peices of Always in my nose. Had my mom go into the school and get me some wet paper towels to clean myself up. It's been that kind of day.

couchie.... :hahaha::hahaha:

First, Couchie, I'm not sure whether to go ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww or to laugh.

I wish I had a strong immune system. Mine SUCKS. I'm still not over this bug that I started fighting the weekend before the weekend before the gala (so before the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend). My ears are just starting to clear out. Double ear infections are no fun. Left one finally popped/squeaked and I could finally hear out of it last night for the first time since my flight into Buffalo from Charlotte. I stll sound a bit froggy and have a bit of bronchitis. Has been 3 weeks since I first started fighting this thing. Everybody says, "You've been teaching little kids for years, you should be immune to everything" but I spent 15 yrs on Predisone and other anti-inflammatory drugs and antibiotics galore for ulcerative colitus and my immune system is crap because of it. It's somewhat better now than it was but I swear that last year, I went from one cold bug to the next all Fall and Winter with only like 2 weeks total in 3 or 4 months where I wasn't fighting some bug. I was on the "high-risk" for flu list when had the colitus and I was advised to get the shot every year. After 3 years straight of getting a huge-assed swelling on the injection site and then having a fever and mild flu symptoms for over a week every time I got the shot, I said "screw it". I quit getting the flu shots for like 10 years. Doc insisted that you can't get the flu from a flu shot. Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine, we'll try it again. Nope. Ended up with a fever and mild flu symptoms again and a sore injection site again. I haven't had the flu since I had colitus (which was hell), so not for almost 10yrs. We'll call those good odds and leave it at that. I'm just gonna take my chances and use the hand sanitizer pump by the door in the classroom at school. I wash my hands a LOT at school. Always have. Doesn't seem to help when little kids are snotting all over and coughing in your face all day, lol. (all sick in my class but ONE. Only had 12 kids Monday, 13 on Tuesday and 12 today and not always the same ones away. No flu though...just a bunch of different colds. My major worry is that a school 15 min from ours has had 2 confirmed H1N1 cases and our Principal's daughter goes to that school and we have kids out of area from that area. One of my kids from that area said her brother was home puking. Goodie. Guess it's on my doorstep. The custodian sprays the tables, doorknobs, microwave, etc... with virex every night, so that's something I guess.

Do you think that because of H1N1 we are starting to do things we should have been doing all along. I know some of my new habits are starting to become second nature. Just small stuff like when using public washrooms I pull the paper towel I need and then wash my hands. Then I use the towel to open the door and toss it in the trash on the way out. When I get home I wash my hands before I do more than hollar a greeting to my family. I do it that way all the time now. My house is still dusty and cluttered, but those are my messes and germs not some strangers.

I'm going to try to be more careful with the taps in the staff bathroom and try to get into that turn off the taps with the paper towel routine that they have plastered on the sign beside the papertowel dispenser.

On an episode of Sex and the City, a cut tampon was used to treat a bloody nose. When I was contemplating deviated septum surgery, the doctor also described the recovery as having a tampon in my nostril.

couchie, between the bloody nose and the flat tire, you have had a tough week!

I would like to get an H1N1 shot, but nothing is available in my area.

:GM_FCA:

32 Days until Clay's Birthday!

:yahoo:

94 Days until GFI!

:yahoo:

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim