#55: My Eyes Adored You

ldyjocelyn

Next Thread Title  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• Lots to look forward to. Clay being Clay. It's all good.
    • His heart's big enough for the whole world
    • Big heart, big feet, big......Man
    • Clay's going to sing. Life is good.
    • It's going to be the Summer of Clay
    • If Clay's happy, I'm happy. I don't care shit whether he rocks, sways, or jiggles.
    • What more could a girl (or guy) want?
    • Clay will sing, he'll sound great, and I'll be a happy camper.

Does anyone watch Project Runway? This guy Frank Polito says he is the official recapper for it and posted the following this morning.

Tonight’s Players include: Jason, a pharmacology writer and photographer, Dan (the housemate), an actor and now playwright (look for his first play, Daddy, to premiere in NYC later this month), Nick & Adam, an actor and his marketing manager partner, Andrew (all the way in from Hell’s Kitchen), an actor who appeared on Broadway in Spamalot with Clay Aiken, and myself, Frank, a novelist and playwright

Clay has met so many people in the Entertainment business in the last few years hasn't he! His name just pops up everywhere!

Ok Keeping,

Now I want to "Sway" with Clay. Also Dean Martin. However, I think that song has been covered recently. I am not sure.

Yes by the Gipsy Kings, but I don't think Clay would ever sing that song in their style ...

And I do think he'd freshen up the original, but I LOVE Domenico singing his song!

Ah, Country Joe.

Give me an F

Gimme a U

gimme a C

Well you know the rest...

What's that spell? What's that spell? What's that spell?

:GE_FCA:

luckiest1 and cindilu2, hope you are enjoying the skating! :wub:

I have enjoyed the sharing of favorite/non-favorite music from the 50s and 60s. Some did have unbelievable lyrics! :cryingwlaughter:

Practically posted while running out the door to teach on Friday, the current Carolina On My Mind blog is all about Clay's upcoming CD and PBS special. I featured four Jukebox videos blended by Scruffy13. After SueReu posted her outstanding montage about Haiti, I added that link, too. Hope you enjoy! :)

It's been great seeing many of you at Facebook. I missed most of the afternoon, and I'm way behind. :whistling-1:

Have a kewl rest of the weekend, FCA! :snoopy:

Caro :listen:

Yes! Kandre "When a man loves a woman"!!!!!!!

Girl from Ipanema? Noo ....... Boy from Ipanema? .....even with the added entertainment of exploding heads, still noooo.

Macarthur Park? NOOOO! .......somebody left the cake out indeed......

Speculation on an actual upcoming event? Yes! This is fun.

:dancingnana:

Boy from Ipanema? .....even with the added entertainment of exploding heads, still noooo.

But yes, with a couple of alterations. Casting the video would be easy. :hubbahubba:

Tall and tan and young and lovely

The boy from Minnesota goes walking

And when he passes, each one he passes goes - ah

th_Reed_OMG.jpg

:GM_FCA:

15 Days until GFI!

:yahoo:

41 Days until Clay Speaks at the HRC Convention!

63 Days until The First Day of Spring!

:glasses:

4 and 1/2 months until June and New CD/PBS Special!

:04:

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

I have to share this in case there's another Neil Young fan out there and you, like me, missed Jimmy Fallon on Thursday night. In a one-day turnaround, Fallon impersonates Young singing Pants on the Ground from the Wednesday AI Audition of Gen. Larry Platt. I already like Jimmy lot, and this just may be the best things he's EVER done. The following clip is from the rollingstone.com website.

"Neil Young" - Pants on the Ground

Anyone casting a biopic of Neil Young has just found The Man!

Tip: Be careful listening to Italian songs because they really get into your head in the night while you're sleeping. This morning making coffee I'm singing this Italian song in my head and realize it's not Volare ... it's Al Di La! Emilio Pericoli's Al Di La. Which is just a pound or two less cheezay* than the Jerry Vale version, or the Sergio Franchi version, or the Connie Francis version. N-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o! (So hopefully the Jimmy/Neil bit cleansed my memory palate for the day.)

or ci sei, as it ci sei tu

From the same Rolling Stone page:

In a year that featured new releases by U2, Green Day and Pearl Jam, it’s surprising that the year’s best-selling band is, well, no longer a band. As Rolling Stone previously reported, the Beatles’ best-of collection 1 was the decade’s top-selling album, and 40 years after the breakup, the Fab Four were amazingly also the top-selling act of 2009. Thanks to their remastered catalog, The Beatles sold 3,282,000 units in 2009 without the aid of digital music services.

For solo performers, Michael Jackson left Taylor Swift and Susan Boyle in the dust. "Classics" must be the rage right now. Or else, current pop AND rock is just the shitz. I think it's a case of both being true.

I'm finding a lot of interesting link on that RS website. For instance, Jimi Hendrix has a new album coming out in March, with a single to be released in early February. And they have an article on My Morning Jacket about the band's extensive repertoire of covers -- "From Danzig to Dylan." In the comments section posters were saying such things as .... MMJ doesn't have nearly as many live covers as Phish ... and someone said, "Phish? Black Crowes puts them all to shame and definitely does the most covers ..." These people seem to be competing for numbers of cover songs. So has there been a paradigm shift and Clay's on top of it? (and Clay's fans are late to the party?)

I have a theory about Clay and RCA, by the way. I don't think RCA had much independence in promoting (or not) Clay's career and determining how he would be used at the label. I think it was ALL 19 business. 19 contracted with Sony/BMG/Whoever to partner with them to record and distribute its Idol artists. I think 19 was the "Owner" and RCA/Jive/Etc. the "Contractor." RCA got a standard cut and 19 was counting the money in the back room. So I do believe Clay's "Former Owner" was the responsible party. I don't want to debate it, because it's just my guess that 19 drives the Idols' buses as long as they hold their contracts. Clay got out of the "management" hold early on, but his records were all stamped, "19/RCA" with "19" first. I have a feeling that all the hate hoisted on old Clive Davis may actually have been better intended for Simon Fuller. I'd always suspected this, but Fuller's new partnership with PH clinches it into my category of "firmly held opinions."

Maybe everyone else got left in the dust but not Taylor or Subo. Subo did 3 million in about 2 months and it was one album, not a bunch of them added together. Hell she just ran out of weeks. But her songs are also covers. If MJ were alive he wouldn't be on the list in all likelihood. Not that his music isn't fantastic - it's the soundtrack of my life for sure. But the entire industry has definitely changed. I'm not sure if it's people liking music less OR the technological landscape or the focus on buying a single song over an album. I know all of the albums I used to buy, when I bought albums, would have 4 or 5 good songs and the rest junk. But you couldnt' just go out and buy any single you wanted from an album.

Yesterday I was in the car with my sister and I guess the station she listens to is top 40 and I was amazed that my 7 year old neice knew every song. I was like WTH..when did she get into pop music. Maybe just in that little time in the car on the way to school or in dance classes. She was singing every song..and was telling me Lady Gaga's life story and her real name is stefani and something about video where she is in the bathtub with all her clothes on. LOL It was surreal. Where the hell is Hannah Montana and the Disney Channel? We were just doing stuff for an hour and they played that tic toc song twice.

I can't think of the last time a current act has penetrated my brain. But the Black Eyed Peas have managed to do it. I know they've been around for a long time. I'm a little slow.

With the album coming out in summer rather than spring, I guess it will be a couple months before we hear real news...when do pre-orders usually start?

I only know ONE thing for sure--

Freckles: priceless.

laughingfrecklesclay-1.jpg

Yum....one of my most favorite, early pictures of him. I love that grin!

kf, I think you answered one of my questions that I had in my mind a few days ago. I was thinking that -- who exactly were some going to blame NOW with the official word of covers, and the possibility of romantic songs? Maybe some will transfer their upset to Fuller. OTOH...the time is now, and IMO Clay is the one who seems to be saying "I like these kinds of songs. Deal with it." Now, I don't want people to blame Clay, per se, but I do think some need to realize that Clay, again IMO, seems to have more control of what he wants to do with his career.

I just finished watching a movie with my husband, called "Big Fan." Seek it out, if you get a chance. couchie, I'd especially get it if I were you. It's about a devout fan of the New York Giants, one who calls the sports talk shows on a regular basis. It's a fascinating character study of where this fandom takes him. I watched it with the eyes of Clay Aiken fan, and kept thinking about the time around December 2007/January 20008 with a few of the more well known fans. Anyway, really good movie.

:GA_FCA:

I am teaching three lessons tomorrow morning, so I started MLK Day a bit early. The new Carolina On My Mind blog honors the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. with history, service projects, SueReu's "Grace of God" montage and UNICEF link for Haiti, personal anecdotes from the 60s, and more.

In previous years, I shared some of our family's 1960s experiences in the South. In the final paragraph, a first grader proves the King legacy is being taught in school. Hope you enjoy. Thank you for your hits, comments, support! :wub:

I only know ONE thing for sure--

Freckles: priceless.

Thnx for the fun posts, pop music dissertations, etc. Can't wait! :04:

I imagine there are some unhappy Texans in my family. :lol:

Have a wonderful week, all! :BlowKiss:

Caro :listen:

kf, I think you answered one of my questions that I had in my mind a few days ago. I was thinking that -- who exactly were some going to blame NOW with the official word of covers, and the possibility of romantic songs? Maybe some will transfer their upset to Fuller. OTOH...the time is now, and IMO Clay is the one who seems to be saying "I like these kinds of songs. Deal with it." Now, I don't want people to blame Clay, per se, but I do think some need to realize that Clay, again IMO, seems to have more control of what he wants to do with his career.

I don't think I get what you're saying, LadyJ. Why does there need to be blame for anything? I think if there's anything to blame it could be that fans have never fully understood the Idol contract. Maybe it's the same for everybody ... we'll give you a good year of multi-million dollar promotion, and then you're on your own. I could understand that if it's actually true. Seems to me Idol always wants their new big thing to succeed wildly in Year One, and then it's on to the next big thing. It's primarily a television program selling a fortune of advertising time -- that's where they make their gazillions, not on their graduate Idols. They have a few years to reap the money they've sown in an Idol career, and then poof it's gone. Except for a few popular, talented, ambitious and hard-working few who really do make it on their own. Clay was the first. Kelly will always have AI's support because she was the show's original winner. But for Clay, I think the game plan basically worked as designed. The best part is now. All that's over for Clay and he's now the master of his universe.

You know, I don't think Clay necessarily prefers covers to original songs. I just believed him when he said they aren't writing great songs for singers these days. Electronica and lip-sync and all the soundboard techniques that engineers use to create voices has been the latest trend, but I think all but the youngest these days have tired of that. It's become a grade school product. Clay wants to sing serious music for adults who appreciate his instrument, whether they be slow or fast or old or new. It doesn't matter if it's a first-class quality product that is so brilliant tears come to the eyes, or the little hairs on the back of the neck go electric. I am so sorry for people who worry that Clay is over and done because they've bought into some theory that he has to do X, Y and Z to be a big hit. The truth as I see it is that Clay is incredibly magnetic and attractive to a segment of the population who are his fans, online and off, who love him and care about his career - that is as much or more than any artist in the world can have. No matter who the preceived superstar giants are at any given time, whether Elvis, MJ, The Beatles, U2, whoever, there are literally thousands and thousands of people who can't stand them. I mean who can't abide them in ANY way. It's human nature. To let that sort of thing affect my enjoyment of what I love, it's impossible. So I do not commiserate with people who are afraid for Clay's future success, and I will scroll over angsty remarks when they become repetitive and freaked out or bored and burnt out, because to me it's just damned unfortunate that they don't grok that invisible magic Clay walks around with. I can't see it, but I'm inspired by it and thrilled by it and all kinds of stuff, and I need not know why. Because it just doesn't matter.

You know, I don't think Clay necessarily prefers covers to original songs. I just believed him when he said they aren't writing great songs for singers these days. Electronica and lip-sync and all the soundboard techniques that engineers use to create voices has been the latest trend, but I think all but the youngest these days have tired of that. It's become a grade school product. Clay wants to sing serious music for adults who appreciate his instrument, whether they be slow or fast or old or new. It doesn't matter if it's a first-class quality product that is so brilliant tears come to the eyes, or the little hairs on the back of the neck go electric. I am so sorry for people who worry that Clay is over and done because they've bought into some theory that he has to do X, Y and Z to be a big hit. The truth as I see it is that Clay is incredibly magnetic and attractive to a segment of the population who are his fans, online and off, who love him and care about his career - that is as much or more than any artist in the world can have. No matter who the preceived superstar giants are at any given time, whether Elvis, MJ, The Beatles, U2, whoever, there are literally thousands and thousands of people who can't stand them. I mean who can't abide them in ANY way. It's human nature. To let that sort of thing affect my enjoyment of what I love, it's impossible. So I do not commiserate with people who are afraid for Clay's future success, and I will scroll over angsty remarks when they become repetitive and freaked out or bored and burnt out, because to me it's just damned unfortunate that they don't grok that invisible magic Clay walks around with. I can't see it, but I'm inspired by it and thrilled by it and all kinds of stuff, and I need not know why. Because it just doesn't matter.

:clap:

Wow, keeping faith , that was beautifully written.

:GM_FCA:

14 Days until GFI!

40 Days until Clay speaks at the HRC Convention!

62 Days until The First Day of Spring!

:glasses:

4 and 1/2 months until June and The New CD/PBS Special!

:04:

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

aikim, oddly I have a reason to rue June. I'll be another year older and boy when they start adding up there is no stopping them. But I do look forward to the cd, just not the birthday.

I went to a spin class for the first time in about three weeks and one of the songs which kills, in an exerting exercise kind of way, is My Sharona. Everytime they say Sharona we either have to get up or sit down whiile pedalling. There is no longer song in the world. So I'm not sure I'd enjoy that one on the cd. ;)

It's a seventies song so I'm safe. :04:

kf wrote:

<snip> because to me it's just damned unfortunate that they don't grok that invisible magic Clay walks around with. I can't see it, but I'm inspired by it and thrilled by it and all kinds of stuff, and I need not know why. Because it just doesn't matter.
:wub: Beautifully put!!

Clay wants to sing serious music for adults who appreciate his instrument, whether they be slow or fast or old or new.

:meme::hubbahubba::hubbahubba:

Hey, just got the following from ldyj:

She needs the option button at the top right hand side of main screen. She has changed her view accidentally -- it should be Standard.

She can't post at the moment, but sent me the message via her phone. I haven't found that button she's talking about yet, but I'll look for it.

ETA, screen cap:

post-784-1263859194_thumb.jpg

OK--see the drop down menu under options? The options tab is right at the top of this page under the "add reply" and "new topic" buttons. Choose standard under "Display modes."