#56: Clay's going to sing. Life is good.

jmh123

Thread Title  

36 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• A burgeoning roar of eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!
    • Behold the Allure of Aiken!
    • Guys, it was just so, so, so good.
    • The man is a star and we saw him go super-nova.
    • Oh yeah, he really is just. that. good.
    • Shoot, I'm still suffering from post-concert giddiness, and I wasn't even freakin' there!
    • I really think it is now his time and yes it is about damn time!
    • And we love every minute of his many talents.

My husband watched part of both nights and said after Wed. night. Were are the voices like Clay and Carrie.

As to Clay, there aren't any voices like his, and I've never expected to hear anything on AI or anywhere else approaching what he has, because it's so rare. Carrie, however, leaves me cold. She has a voice, in that she hits notes, but I don't think she's anywhere near Jennifer Hudson territory. For what it's worth, I wasn't much of a Ruben or K-Lo fan, and thought the Season 2 finals would come down to Clay and Trenyce, with Clay the winner. As for guys, there has not been another singer take the AI stage who remotely challenged Clay. I think that became officially accepted fact the night of the AI5 finals when Clay came out for 2 minutes and wiped the stage with every other singer, and the buzz completely overshadowed the announcement of the winner. I think it was all finally established once and for all.

Good Baby Brush's summary from the CH:

"The power of truth and living honestly is very liberating."

"We've been waiting on the laws to change... the time for waiting has passed."

19th Amendment that gave women the right to vote: "It was about damned time."

Civil Rights Legislation: "It was about damned time."

Matthew Shepherd Act: "It was most certainly about damned time."

"Like all civil rights movements, our movement is one of fairness, rightousness, decency. Our time is now, and it's about damned time."

A picture of Clay from Pam's House Blend blog:

Clay took the stage and delivered a heartfelt address with a great deal of humor about his coming out -- on a magazine cover, noting we were probably thinking "It's about damn time."

A couple of photos...ah, I finally got to meet Clay after all the email tag! I thanked him not only for coming out, but for taking on the godawful, bible-beating Wake County School Board. And we're going to get that lunch/dinner date in soon.

pamclay_HRC.jpg

Thank you Thankful4Clay for the sendspace. I was at a college play tonight, and missed all the excitement. I have, however, just listened to Clay's speech. The man is eloquent, passionate, and just all around good.

And boy, he looks fantastic tonight. Yum.

Thank you Thankful4Clay for the sendspace. I was at a college play tonight, and missed all the excitement. I have, however, just listened to Clay's speech. The man is eloquent, passionate, and just all around good.

And boy, he looks fantastic tonight. Yum.

My god was he gorgeous tonight or what? His speech making abilities have improved so much. Hardly any "ums"!

A transcription of Clay's speech by copingincalif at CV:

When you make the decision to...when you come out to your family, your friends. Make the decision to come out in a supportive group like (he mentions group honored that night - not sure of exact name) or to do so on the cover of a magazine -- the decision to talk openly about it is a really difficult and confusing one.

And I know that sometimes I think more than anybody. But I also know that the power of truth and living honestly is very liberating. So what the hell took me so long (lots of applause)?

It was waiting like so many folks are waiting for change, for attitudes to change, for laws to change, and I realized that the time for waiting has passed. We've seen throughout our nation's history that all the major civil rights movements -- major milestones in our country have come after a lot of waiting and a a lot of hard, long fought battles. Thankfully while many of us have been waiting, you at the HRC has been fighting to ensure that LGBT Americans have the same rights that straight Americans take for granted.

As HRC's name implies our battle is about something much larger than the LGBT community. It's about that most American of notions that all men and women are created equal. That is with the exception of my son who is brilliant, but for tonight we'll assume that all men and women are created equal.

The belief which this nation was founded on is the cornerstone of our movement and as I said it has been the cornerstone of every major civil rights movement in our nation's history.

In 1920 when the 19th amendment was passed which gave every American woman the right to vote, it's about damn time. In 1954 although some idiots of the Wake County School Board would disagree for Brown vs Board of Education desegregated our schools, it's about damn time. In 1964 when the Civil Rights Act was passed banning discrimination based on race, religion, national origin, it's about damn time.

And last year the Matthew Shepard James Berg Jr Hate Crimes Prevention Act was passed, it was most certainly about damn time. Now, thanks in no small part to supportive individuals like you LGBT Americans can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel. Slowly but surely, and forgive me for using this sports analogy: we're moving the ball down the field. We're seeing a shift in the attitudes of younger generations. LGBT youth are feeling empowered to come out in higher numbers than ever before. They are finding acceptance with their friends and their families like never before.

The LGBT community has seen and obtained unprecedented visibility and legitimacy in America. We have a great deal more work to do to ensure that LGBT individuals and families have the same rights and same freedoms that straight Americans have. And I know that my son's world will be a better one because no one no matter how hard they try are going to stop our progress.

And like those civil rights movements that came before, our message is the message of fairness, of righteousness, of decency. Out message is the message of the future. Our time is now, and it is about damn time.

From cotton at CV:

Back at the room exhausted! It was a wonderful evening!

I saw a room full of people who were full of LOVE!

That's the thing that struck me more than anything. A hand resting on a shoulder here. At shared smile between two there.

Laughter among a table of friends. Strangers introducing themselves.

A young person setting an example for people her age and showing people three times her age how to be accepting and fair minded!

It was a very hopeful evening of celebrating progress and fighting for what everyone wants - the right to live and love equally.

I'm so so honored to have been there.

I'm going to try to get a few pics uploaded. Jumbotron as we were seated WAY YONDER!

BTW, did I mention that Clay looked SO DAMNED HANDSOME!

And - something else I've been trying to grasp.

It hit me on the drive back to the hotel . . .

He looked SO COMFORTABLE!

Oh! That was wonderful to watch. He is so charming and such an effective speaker. You just have to listen to him. I'm so proud of him How cute was the Parker comment? I was lmao at yet another shot at the school board. Methinks I wouldn't want him permanently pissed at me!

On a shallow note, he also looks gorgeous. I will pray to the hair gods for a look just like that for the special! :flirtysmile3:

Huuuuge thanks to the clack-bringers on this one. :bighug:

:GM_FCA:

Loved the speech and Clay looked great...love the hair color...hope he keeps it for a while!

12 Days until The Tried and True Special is taped!

:yahoo:

21 Days until The First Day of Spring!:glasses:

3 and 1/2 months until June and The New CD/PBS Special!

:04:

Clay addresses the Key Club Convention in July!Yahoo:

:yahoo:

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

I can't believe I'm actually watching one of those cheesy Time-Life commercials. Why, you ask? Because it's "Pop Memories of the '60s" and I'm scouting for songs that might be on "Tried and True". Hmmmm, some I'd love to hear Clay sing and some, not so much.

I am catching up and just read your post bottlecap. There is a radio show every Saturday evening on xpn.org (they stream) out of Philly that is hosted by Jerry Blavat, the Geeter with a Heater, I think was the phrase used to describe him back when he was a dj in the 60's. He plays songs from the 50's and 60's during his hour (6 PM EST) and I have had fun imagining some of the songs that might be on the album. Two songs I would enjoy hearing "Since I Fell for You" Larry Welch (?) I think, and the Flamingo's "I Only Have Eyes For You." Both gorgeous songs that Clay would kill on I think.

I have watched Clay's speech from HRC last night a "couple" of times. Just wow. I loved how he addressed his coming out-no apologies for the "lateness" but rather providing a context for it that hopefully resonated with members of the LGBT community. Clay is very skilled.

Cagney

I have watched Clay's speech from HRC last night a "couple" of times. Just wow. I loved how he addressed his coming out-no apologies for the "lateness" but rather providing a context for it that hopefully resonated with members of the LGBT community. Clay is very skilled.

He is a very good wordsmith. That speech summed up the struggles that various groups have gone through in this century. It was concise and didn't wander off course. I loved it.

Has anybody figured out what he says 'off mic' before the speech actually starts. I've listened a dozen times and can't figure it out..

It's driving me batty!

Ha!! got it - 'Just sitting here thinking.. when you saw my name on the billing tonight. It's about damn time!'

GOSH I love this man.