#56: Clay's going to sing. Life is good.

jmh123

Thread Title  

36 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• A burgeoning roar of eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!
    • Behold the Allure of Aiken!
    • Guys, it was just so, so, so good.
    • The man is a star and we saw him go super-nova.
    • Oh yeah, he really is just. that. good.
    • Shoot, I'm still suffering from post-concert giddiness, and I wasn't even freakin' there!
    • I really think it is now his time and yes it is about damn time!
    • And we love every minute of his many talents.

From the CH:

Posted by mustbeeme at CV:
News about Clays photo shoot!!!!!

There are no pictures of Clay but you can see some places that they used!! They didn't finish till 11pm!! The poor guy had a long day!

Examiner

Diary of a professional photography shoot, for Clay Aiken's "Tried and True

Local fans of Clay Aiken surely know he was in the area recently, recording a concert in Raleigh's Memorial Auditorium that featured songs from his new album, Tried and True. The album is scheduled for release on June 1, 2010, and broadcast of the concert is set for sometime this summer on PBS.

What fans may not know is that, while visiting his home town, Aiken searched for locations for the art for the CD package of his new album. Driving around Raleigh and Durham, he photographed locations that fit the theme of the upcoming album, the 1950s and the Rat Pack.

Among the locations in his pictures of Durham are a bar, a diner and several street shots. Others show parts of the American Tobacco Campus, including Bay 7 and the train car at the North end. Aiken also favored the Mecca Restaurant in Raleigh, a nearly perfect location for the images he had in mind for the package art.

Using his photographs to go by, it was necessary to scout the locations, to take additional photographs for determining their suitability and availability for the shoot.

With photographs of the interior of the train car at American Tobacco, the Mecca and others from a newly recommended site, the locations for the one-day shoot were set. The day would begin at Treyburn Country Club in Durham, with shots in the bar and on the golf course. Afterward, the crew would head to American Tobacco before finishing in Raleigh at the Mecca.

Upon arrival at Treyburn at 7am, NY photographer Vincent Soyez began setting up for the first shot in the bar. Soyez, who uses the Norman lighting system, said, "You'll be disappointed if you're expecting an elaborate lighting setup. I just set up the lights where I think they should go, take some test shots and adjust the lights until I get the effect we want." For the Aiken shoot, the desired effect derives from the dramatic light and shadow sometimes associated with celebrity photographs of the 1950s.

Following Aiken's arrival and wardrobe preparation, the shooting began with work around settings at the bar. After a couple of hours, the crew moved out to the golf course. Luckily, the preferred location was at the 18th green, making it relatively easy to transport equipment and set up the shot.

After completing the shots, Aiken bought lunch for the crew. One could easily see he was happy to be home and to introduce his NY colleagues to North Carolina barbecue, Eastern style of course. (And as it happens, his grandmother lives nearby. He described his visits to Bahama while growing up, with many Sunday mornings spent singing in Mt. Bethel Methodist Church.)

Following lunch, the crew finished with a few publicity shots, packed up and headed to American Tobacco.

Rain threatened the afternoon, but the crew managed to set up in the train car before the rain began, and by the time they had finished, the rain had stopped. They packed up again and headed to the Mecca in Raleigh, the final location of the day. The shoot wrapped up around 11pm.

While Aiken fans anxiously await the new music of his next album, photography fans might look for a copy to see how these locations, and Clay Aiken, are transformed by the work of Vincent Soyez.

[in addition to providing some of the location photography, Jason Hamilton also contributed information for this article.]

Oh my!

He described his visits to Bahama while growing up, with many Sunday mornings spent singing in Mt. Bethel Methodist Church.)

I used to live in Bahama! In 1985/1986! On Blalock Road! I'm pretty sure we don't have a connection!

There were only a few hundred people in Bahama then, and I never went into "town" unless I had a package at the post office, and most everyone lived on acres and acres, in the woods, so not much socializing.

Treyburn - exclusive golf course and community. Named after a North Carolina senator, and I heard that Michael Jordan was an investor, and had a house there, too.

The photographer seems really good, I think.

Wow djs, Clay just has something for everyone.

I'm intrigued about this cd. Clay seems to be preparing us to take part in a play. Will there be a movie or a tv show to follow? Is there going to be a time machine involved? I'm ready to be taken back in time. Is this tour going to be anothe JNT05? Although many disliked that tour,I was fascinated by it. And my NJUs all loved it. Write again Clay! :flirtysmile3:

Hee, I was waiting for you to read that about Bahama, djs111.

Heeee......right back! Do you know how many times Bahama gets mentioned in any news whatsoever, in a non-Caribbean-resort-island way?

Three times a decade! Tops.

The drive up to there from Raleigh would be pretty, now (excepting 15-501, of course). Orange Factory Road now goes over a gorgeous reservoir, instead of the kind of scary down-and-up of a ravine thing it had going on when I lived there.

:GM_FCA:

64 Days until June 1 and The New CD!

:04:

Clay addresses the Key Club in July!

:yahoo:

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

That article about the photo shoot is fantastic. It sounds like Clay has been very involved with all parts of this album.

:5: I love how involved Clay seems to have been with this whole process - right down to having a vision of how he wanted to the CD artwork to look.

Yep and yep.

I also like the fact that he's helping his local economy, being able to do so much of this whole process in the Raleigh area. I remember a few people having concerns after Parker was born, seeming like he would be making his home base in Raleigh, and not understanding how he could have a recording career. Well, looks like he can. Now, that's not to say he can't fly to NYC or LA when he needs to -- but many places have thriving recording studios, make-up artists, photographers, etc. I think Clay's work in showing that this can happen is fan-freakin'-tastic.

OT: The past 48 hours or so have been a whirlwind for me. My husband calls me Friday night and says one of his employees has been in an auto accident, and we need to go to the hospital with her. She's fine, but she needs a car, as her's was totaled. Now, I've been thinking of getting a new Prius to replace my 8 year old one (in good shape, I just want to upgrade) -- so my husband casually suggests that we sell my old one to her. This means yesterday we were at the Toyota dealership, getting me a new car. I take possession tomorrow evening! And yes, I bought a Prius. I've had no trouble with the one I've had, everyone I know who has one has not had trouble either, and darn it, I just like the car!

I'm with you on the Prius' Ladyj. We've had ours for three years and no problems at all. Yesterday I stopped at a BBQ place to pick up some slaw, hushpuppies and dipping sauce as we received some unadorned BBQ meat from someone for whom I did a tax return. A man stopped me to ask if I was going 90 miles per hour. I told him of course, all the time. His wife told me they have a Prius and if his was recalled he wouldn't turn it in. :cryingwlaughter:

Working on a return last night I clicked on a Fox news report about Clay (it was last year sometime) about him becoming more careful about the environment since he had a son. I wonder if he has a hybrid now?

:5: I love how involved Clay seems to have been with this whole process - right down to having a vision of how he wanted to the CD artwork to look.

I know. That part is really pretty exciting.

I told my sister about the Ruben and Clay concert in Reno and she wants to go. There was real excitement in her voice. I think others will have the same reaction.

I am so happy to see all the excitement building around the Reno concert! My mom keeps asking me if its time yet. lol

Just FYI, in case you know anyone looking for tickets. My friend and I both bought tickets so we have 3 extras to sell. They are in Section F, Row 4, Seats 2, 3 and 4 on the inner aisle. These are E-Tickets and we are open to selling them as singles or a pair as well.

Fear - I *think* Clay does have a hybrid... I don't remember which one but I am thinking BMW or Mercedes for some reason??

I loved the article about the photo shoot and how Clay himself scouted the locations. I am so happy he has a label that understands him and supports his visions. He has definitely earned that.

Hee, I was waiting for you to read that about Bahama, djs111.

Heeee......right back! Do you know how many times Bahama gets mentioned in any news whatsoever, in a non-Caribbean-resort-island way?

Three times a decade! Tops.

The drive up to there from Raleigh would be pretty, now (excepting 15-501, of course). Orange Factory Road now goes over a gorgeous reservoir, instead of the kind of scary down-and-up of a ravine thing it had going on when I lived there.

I just realized that we are probably among the few who actually know how the name of the town is pronounced. The "a" in the middle is a long "a" like the African name Rahama, and not like the Caribbean resort island. I've never driven to Bahama from Raleigh, only from Durham, up Roxboro Rd, or from Chapel Hill. Wonder where they had barbeque? I've never been to Treyburn Country Club, although I do remember its namesake. Looking at the map again, I think maybe Fancytown was off Stagville Rd. It's been a long, long time since I was out that way.

Speaking of barbeque, I just had some yesterday too. A church out near another place I used to live was having a bbq dinner. I used to find out about those from signs along the road where I lived, but when I moved back, I never had occasion to go down that road. They always had the best bbq around, IMO, but you could only get it twice a year. There was another church on the same road that had bbq twice a year, but it wasn't as good. Didn't stop me from getting theirs too, of course. (Turns out I missed that one by a week. I saw the sign still up as I went by yesterday.) Finally I got on an e-mail list of the church with the best barbeque and made it out there yesterday to get some. YUM. As I drove back, I realized that this is the first time I've had any of their bbq since sometime in the 90s. Wow, time just keeps on moving on, doesn't it?

:GE_FCA:

LOL, keeping up with NCAA basketball and organizing a blog at the same time is not easy. I did that throughout most of the first game, so there is a new Carolina On My Mind entry that features the "Examiner" article with extra photos gathered from the story's numerous links. Hope you enjoy. Thnx for your visits, comments, tweets, retweets, support! :)

Congratulations to the Final Four teams (in no particular order): West Virginia, Duke, Butler, and Michigan State! :yahoo:

We are on the edge of a tornado, so I should think about signing off. Have a great evening new week, all! :BlowKiss:

Caro :listen:

I just spent an hour trying to get in my damn youtube account. It's kinda tough when you forgot your password and the email you signed up with doesn't exist anymore. But I finally did it. I have only a couple things up but Scarlett's wonder Good News video that is my ultimate favorite. But I really wanted to get to my one and only slideshow that I made a few years ago of my neice and nephew. One of the songs was Because You Loved Me. I adore that song. I remember hearing it over and over and over and over again when I made that thing. And the video made me all mushy tonight. I love those kids. And I love my singing boyfriend. Can't wait for the new album. Can't wait to see him live again! I think I will go to Ashville since it's the first show. I just want to go and be totally unspoiled and just enoy him again.

:GM_FCA:

63 Days until June 1 and The New CD!

:04:

Clay addresses The Key Club in July!:yahoo:

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!'

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

Me too!! Although, I suspect that perhaps he's always wanted to be more involved, but either didn't have the time (in the post-2003 days) or the experience, or the backing to do so previously. I really, really hope he's going to take the EP credit for this one.

I know. That part is really pretty exciting.

I told my sister about the Ruben and Clay concert in Reno and she wants to go. There was real excitement in her voice. I think others will have the same reaction.

Me too. :)

Kim, just a question....why aren't the concerts listed in your countdown? Just curious....even though they haven't been officially blessed by Clay, I think having tickets sold for at least one makes it a pretty good probable! :lol:

Bringing this over from CV....apparently Ruben has been posting about the tour on a message board of his....this quote just makes me smile. I'm sorry if his fans aren't being very supportive, but I am sure the Claynation will show him the love.

I know that some of you may not come out and see me with clay but on the flip side all of his fans will be there to support him. They wouldn't care if he was on stage singing with snakes because they support him no matter what.

No, I don't want Clay fans going over there and responding, but if you want to read his comments for yourself you can find them here:

http://rubenstuddard...cc47fcfe1c03adf

Bringing this over from CV....apparently Ruben has been posting about the tour on a message board of his....this quote just makes me smile. I'm sorry if his fans aren't being very supportive, but I am sure the Claynation will show him the love.

I know that some of you may not come out and see me with clay but on the flip side all of his fans will be there to support him. They wouldn't care if he was on stage singing with snakes because they support him no matter what.

No, I don't want Clay fans going over there and responding, but if you want to read his comments for yourself you can find them here:

http://rubenstuddard...cc47fcfe1c03adf

luckiest... I so agree with what you posted... Yes... we are just soooo special!!! LOL

I imagine both of them are going to have a blast touring together for those 3 weeks. Clay always brings out the funny in Ruben when they are together. Ruben trusts him and feels safe being himself. Clay would never have loved Ruben so quickly if Ruben was a lump on a log... he's got personality, but I've only seen him display it when he and Clay are together. Sounds like fun to me!

Couchie... congrats on getting to your YouTube account.

I think it is going to be :04: Soon!

ClayAiken tweet -

Hey everyone, sorry for the lack of tweets recently. Working hard behind the scenes here. Clay news & updates coming soon!