#57: Oh yeah, he really is just. that. good.

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• My, my, my...my boyfriend is making me feel all cougarish and slinky and growly
    • I'd better hold on to my fedora cos I ain't seen nothing yet!
    • He exhilarates me!
    • Unremitting Fangirl reporting for duty. I'm easy and I'm proud of it!
    • The man is made of awesome.
    • Clay Aiken can still curl my toes.
    • Clay Aiken = happy sigh
    • I'm a satisfied Clay fan.

I hope that PBS Seattle will be showing the special during their fund raising time. I will definitely want to buy the DVD then even tho' the price will be high.

And I hope that there will be so many people buying the DVD during the pledge drive that the concert will be aired more than once.

The songs that Clay is singing now are not ones I would normally enjoy listening to. But there is nothing normal about my reaction to hearing him sing and I can't wait until that CD arrives.

O.M.G.... I have finally been able to listen to Misty and Can't (how's that bottle??? LOL) I L.O.V.E. the orchestration and I have never heard him sound better... Wow... he was made for this Big Band stuff. I'm so happy!!!

Now, don't get me wrong. I adore what we have of him singing the fast rock'n roll songs in concert. I'll treasure them forever. This just shows off the phenomenalness (is too a word) of this man's voice.

I ordered my itunes copy. I ordered 3 copies of the regular CD on Amazon, but I may change that to Deluxe. I ordered so fast that the Deluxe wasn't even offered at that time. I'm with you, keeping... why get the regular when the deluxe is only a bit more.

I'm bubbling over with excitement... June 1st is truly S.O.O.N!!!

The songs that Clay is singing now are not ones I would normally enjoy listening to. But there is nothing normal about my reaction to hearing him sing and I can't wait until that CD arrives.

From the beginning, my musical attraction to Clay Aiken was an outlier. Right now, he's the center of my musical universe. Just from the limited songs we're heard, the music is outstanding. Whether the arrangements are crisp, tight, or lush, they all sound, to my ears, perfect - that there are just the right amount of notes, with nothing extraneous and nothing left out. The sound, even when the orchestrations are complex, is clean, with Clay's seductively killer voice weaving all the parts together. The engineering is superb. The whole thing is wildly impressive.

ETA: From CV - B&N snippets are up - different ones:

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/Tried-True/Clay-Aiken/e/602527372860/?itm=10&USRI=clay+aiken

And credits are there:

Album Credits

Performance Credits

Clay Aiken Primary Artist

Derek Watkins Trumpet, Flugelhorn

Mark James Guitar

Stan Sulzmann Flute, Alto Saxophone

Pete Beachill Tenor Trombone

Dave Bishop Clarinet, Tenor Saxophone

Mitch Dalton Guitar

Jeff Daly Baritone Saxophone

Simon Gardner Trumpet, Flugelhorn

Noel Langley Trumpet, Flugelhorn

Steve Pearce Electric Bass

Ralph Salmins Drums

Mark Hodgson Double Bass

Chris Walden Conductor

Dave Stewart Bass Trombone

Andy Wood Tenor Trombone

Ben Castle Clarinet, Tenor Saxophone

Gordon Campbell Tenor Trombone

Pete Murray Piano

Mike Lovatt Trumpet, Flugelhorn

Andy Mackintosh Flute, Alto Saxophone

Technical Credits

Chris Walden Arranger

Alex Christensen Producer, Vocal Engineer, Vocal Editing

Vlado Meller Mastering

Fanny Gotschall Art Direction

Dave Novik Executive Producer

Regarding Vlado Meller:

For the past three decades, Vlado Meller has mastered albums for acts like Miles Davis, Frank Sinatra, Duran Duran, Metallica, Beyoncé and Kanye West.

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3i1239cf1a1e13f623065912c94ae522b1

I would guess that Linda Eder, David Sanborn and Vince Gill will be listed on the individual tracks they on which they appear. Do we know that Quiana is on the album, or is that just conjecture? I don't think I've heard her on any of the snippets of Suspicious Minds.

I'm loving all the excitement and teasers this week! The Barnes & Noble snippets are different again from the others we've heard. I hope we get wind of some TV appearances soon.

:GM_FCA:

18 Days until June 1st and The New CD! :04:

38 Days until Clay is Bringing Broadway Home to NC!:yahoo:

55 Days until Clay Addresses The Key Club Convention!:yahoo:

70 Days until The Timeless Tour Begins! :09:

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

First I've heard that Quiana was supposed to be on the album. I was more surprised to see that Ben Cohn wasn't involved. I suppose he did the arrangements for live performances only. Kudos to Chris Walden. And to Alex Christensen, another Hamburg guy. I don't know what a vocal engineer does exactly, but Clay's voice is recorded perfectly, from the "creamy goodness" (love that!) down to the last whisper. I send virtual roses to Dave Novik for bringing some wonderful songs to Clay. If he's responsible for Fool, that alone makes him my man. And I know Impossible is going to kill.me.dead -- and in heaven, there's Misty playing for me, with it's composer, the late great Errol Garner on piano.

Are all the Barnes & Noble clips different from the iTunes ones? If not, can someone list the different ones please? The B&N site is wonky with these clips, and I don't want to waste my time trying to get to clips only if they are the same ones I've heard via iTunes.

I don't think that's a complete list of all the musicians on the album. For one thing, there are no string players listed other than guitar and double bass. I think we'll find that there are individual credits for each song where there are other musicians in addition to those listed at the B&N site.

Hopefully someone will rip the B&N clips. The sound quality isn't very good--they sound very tinny. I got them to work by allowing pop-ups from the site from my toolbar and also clicking on the pop-up block message that came up. I clicked a bunch of other buttons too. Then I closed the B&N site, and opened it again later, and it worked fine. Couldn't play them all straight through, had to click on one at a time. They're all different. Only listened once. Let me see, UM was the musical intro and a few bars of his voice, also Moon River (I think). That's all I can remember at the moment. I'm trying to not go snippet crazy, and to wait for the full songs.

Do album credits name members of the entire string section or just featured soloists? Off the top of my head, I can't think of a violin or cello solo in what I've heard so far. The brass are up front and personal throughout. But I do like it when he sings "and a thousand violins begin to play" and the soft strings kick in. If this was Chris Walden's shebang, it could be the same orchestra on all the tracks. But who knows, I speculate more than a manic Goldman Sachs trader on steroids.

The BN snippets are different, and for some reason I haven't had a problem getting them to play. I like hearing the intros to UM and MR -- and the "oozing life" part of Mack!

But who knows, I speculate more than a manic Goldman Sachs trader on steroids.

Oh, me too, me too! I only wish it were as lucrative! :cryingwlaughter:

Good point about featured musicians vs "background." Whatever the case, I really love the arrangements. :wub: And I can't wait to peruse all the printed stuff as well as hearing all the full songs. :flirtysmile3:

Here's the latest on Ramin Setoodeh. Remember him, he's the Newsweek writer who had the tense interview with Clay before the Spamalot run, and insisted on asking Clay about the Ripa/O'Donnell thing, and his sexuality. Here's a piece of the interview:

Newsweek: Can we talk about something fun?

Clay: No, we're done. I thought NEWSWEEK would be more reputable. I'm surprised.

Newsweek: But I think people are curious about it.

Clay: It was a year ago. This is NEWSWEEK. It's not the National Enquirer. I'd hate to have a job where I had to be rude to people.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/91541/page/3

And here's a snippet from a story in today's Huffington Post ...

GLAAD Demands Newsweek Apology

Some Hollywood stars blasted the magazine (Newsweek) and writer Ramin Setoodeh for an April 26 story that said it was OK for straight actors to play gay roles, but "it's rare for someone to pull off the trick in reverse."

In the story, Setoodeh criticized Sean Hayes' latest leading-man performance on Broadway, writing that the openly gay actor "comes off as wooden and insincere, like he's trying to hide something, which of course he is."

Ryan Murphy, creator of the hit Fox series "Glee," called for a boycott of the magazine until it apologizes to its gay readers, Hayes and "and other brave out actors who were cruelly singled out in this damaging, needlessly cruel and mind-blowingly bigoted piece."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/13/glaad-demands-newsweek-ap_n_574730.html

I think this guy's career in the big leagues is finished. Maybe he can get a job with Liberty University, writing admissions bulletins, or at one of the Dobson/Rekers organizations. And Newsweek itself is hanging by a very slender thread. It's on the market with no buyer in sight. Karma, it's a bitch, but so often a delightful one! I hope this gives Clay some bit of satisfaction.

Here's the latest on Ramin Setoodeh. Remember him, he's the Newsweek writer who had the tense interview with Clay before the Spamalot run, and insisted on asking Clay about the Ripa/O'Donnell thing, and his sexuality. Here's a piece of the interview:

Newsweek: Can we talk about something fun?

Clay: No, we're done. I thought NEWSWEEK would be more reputable. I'm surprised.

Newsweek: But I think people are curious about it.

Clay: It was a year ago. This is NEWSWEEK. It's not the National Enquirer. I'd hate to have a job where I had to be rude to people.

http://www.newsweek....id/91541/page/3

And here's a snippet from a story in today's Huffington Post ...

GLAAD Demands Newsweek Apology

Some Hollywood stars blasted the magazine (Newsweek) and writer Ramin Setoodeh for an April 26 story that said it was OK for straight actors to play gay roles, but "it's rare for someone to pull off the trick in reverse."

In the story, Setoodeh criticized Sean Hayes' latest leading-man performance on Broadway, writing that the openly gay actor "comes off as wooden and insincere, like he's trying to hide something, which of course he is."

Ryan Murphy, creator of the hit Fox series "Glee," called for a boycott of the magazine until it apologizes to its gay readers, Hayes and "and other brave out actors who were cruelly singled out in this damaging, needlessly cruel and mind-blowingly bigoted piece."

http://www.huffingto...p_n_574730.html

I think this guy's career in the big leagues is finished. Maybe he can get a job with Liberty University, writing admissions bulletins, or at one of the Dobson/Rekers organizations. And Newsweek itself is hanging by a very slender thread. It's on the market with no buyer in sight. Karma, it's a bitch, but so often a delightful one! I hope this gives Clay some bit of satisfaction.

And in related news...

An awesome article from Aaron Sorkin. Wow. Just wow.

Love, love, LOVE Aaron Sorkin's response. And it's amazing how so many of us (and yes, I'd include ME in the discussion) can get sucked into that tabloid, wanting to "know it all."

New tweet:

clayaiken New Clay website & fan club coming soon but changes will affect the current site. Get more info at http://bit.ly/c6LQew

That leads to this on the public side of the OFC:

05/13/10 Here at Clay HQ, we're working hard on a new website and official fan club for Clay and his fans. As a result of the preparation for the upcoming website launch, we will be temporarily removing Clay's online store as well as our Ultimate Membership fan club option. For fans still interested in joining Clay's Official Fan Club ahead of our new website launch, you can purchase an "Online Only Membership" by visiting this page.

This is a necessary requirement and we sincerely appreciate your patience during this short transition period. We apologize for any inconvenience and are striving to make Clay's website and Official Fan Club the best online home for you, Clay fans. We are extremely grateful for your support and look forward to sharing lots of new, exciting experiences with you.

Sincerely, Clay's Online Team

My issue with Sorkin is that he's trying to pretend that Newsweek is worth saving. And that the writer being gay himself somehow mitigates things, unless I'm misreading that, which is always possible. It's a strange argument in the days of George Rekers, Larry Craig, et al. I believe that Newsweek's rightward lurch in the last few years is hand in hand with the tabloid bent that has taken it to the bottom. There's very little difference in the things I find in the national news mags and what's on the covers of the gutter tabloids anymore. Just my opinion, but I've read these news mags for years and it all changed one gray day who knows when, but I suspect it was during the OJ Simpson - Clinton/Lewinsky era when EVERY news outlet embraced and exploited tabloid journalism (which is an oxymoron if ever there was one).

Did anyone have the same reaction I did to the Time Magazine cover last week of the 100 Most Influential People in America? Okay, first on the list of "Artists" was .... Lady Gaga, followed by Conan O'Brien, Simon Cowell, and Taylor Swift, among others. Glenn Beck made the "Leaders" list. I view the Times and Newsweeks of this world as no more than pandering shitrags these days. National Enquirer was expected to get a Pulitzer this year for breaking the John Edwards love child story. It didn't, but I heard a lot of complaints that it wasn't "given its due" because of its "great track record for breaking news."

American popular culture has been on the skids for a long, long time, but money talks. Why else do I see all the Girls Gone Wild commercials on late night TV? Or these commercials for a product like Xtenze. It's all about the cash on the table. If people stop buying, or watching, or listening, it will end. That's why I'm a long-time advocate of boycotts. When all else fails, taking away the money can be the only solution.

But then, maybe I've read too much Chomsky!

Sorkin wants to save Newsweek. He should buy it, before Murdoch does.

I don't agree with his last statement, or that Newsweek is anything more than marginally better than The Star or The Enquirer - but the rant on the tabloid culture is fantastic and I applaud him for it.

It would be great if Clay could win this one poll since it is Billboard and the timing is around his new CD drop. Just a thought :wub:

Poll: Best "American Idol" Ever?

http://www.billboard.com/features/top-24-american-idols-of-all-time-1004088662.story#/features/poll-best-american-idol-ever-1004088680.story

Derek Watkins Trumpet, Flugelhorn

Hee...did anyone else get a little flutter of nostalgia when you read this?

fluuuuugelhorn

I hope we get wind of some TV appearances soon.

:yeahthat:

Regarding TV appearances, I noticed this morning that JKL doesn't have any guests announced, musical or otherwise, for June 1st. I'm hoping.

And the Billboard poll -- I see they did their own rankings and Clay is No. 6.

And, something I noticed in People magazine today --- reviews of new LPs from Rufus Wainwright and Nikki Yanofsky, both Decca artists. Both received three stars. Yanofsky's review said she was a better singer than the original material she had recorded, but she got three stars for the richness of her voice alone. Dare I hope that Decca will get Tried & True reviewed favorably in a few major publications?

Regarding TV appearances, I noticed this morning that JKL doesn't have any guests announced, musical or otherwise, for June 1st. I'm hoping.

<snip>

Dare I hope that Decca will get Tried & True reviewed favorably in a few major publications?

I'm "hoping" right along with ya! :cocktail:

I wonder if perhaps the TV/media appearances stuff won't be announced until the new site is complete and then posted there first? Seems like it would be cutting it too close but at least that thought gives me "hope" for some still to come :needclay:

I can't believe that Clay won't be all over my TV in the coming weeks.

I would love to see him on Kimmel, of course. I watched JKL last night and the skit with Michael Bolton was freaking hilarious. I also want to see him on Craig Ferguson, Jimmy Fallon, Letterman, Lopez, you name it. And the morning shows, GMA, Today, The View, Tyra Banks. An hour with Larry King would be nice. Even though I'm not a big Larry King fan, the man does love the music of the 50's and the big band stuff, as I recall from his many years on radio and "Duke's Place".

I would love to see him on Kimmel, of course. I watched JKL last night and the skit with Michael Bolton was freaking hilarious. I also want to see him on Craig Ferguson, Jimmy Fallon, Letterman, Lopez, you name it. And the morning shows, GMA, Today, The View, Tyra Banks. An hour with Larry King would be nice. Even though I'm not a big Larry King fan, the man does love the music of the 50's and the big band stuff, as I recall from his many years on radio and "Duke's Place".

Yep! The Lack there of has me scratching my ass head foh shoh!! Why oh why is he not popping up everywhere?!

Ooh wait.... :hubbahubba:

Ok, I'm back.

Ah well, I guess what will be, will be....now I'll stop my kvetching and go back to listening to snippets :listen:

Woo Hoo! Toledo will be Crystal Bowersox central tomorrow, and my office building is located right in the very middle of where all the hometown hoopla will be going on. I'll be able to see the parade (a whole 3 blocks! LOL!) right out my office window, and then she's doing a mini-concert across the street. Depending on the size of the crowd, I may try to wander over and listen for a bit.

I'm thinking of taking a sign that says "CRYSTAL ROCKS!" on the side that faces the stage, and "PRE-ORDER CLAY AIKEN'S NEW CD TRIED & TRUE AT AMAZON.COM AND iTunes" on the side that faces the AI cameras.

Okay, not really for the sign part, but I'm putting my camera in my briefcase, just in case I can get some pics.

Yep! The Lack there of has me scratching my ass head foh shoh!! Why oh why is he not popping up everywhere?!

I want to see him, too. But I don't remember Clay going on the shows three weeks out. More like the day before, the day of, the couple of weeks after, and then for as long as he gets bookings. Seems to me that it's better to have the product available in the rush of promotion. Somebody wants it, goes to download, and see's it's in Preorder ... it's happened to me countless times and I don't think I've ever preordered, other than Clay. I put it on hold. To my thinking, it's a waste of promotion to have a spot and no product for sale. I know the movies have a big advance campaign, but if a movie doesn't have a huge opening day it's considered a failure. For me, music is a completely different thing ... if it's timeless. :whistling-1: And I think that this one has a good shot at being just that! I think a good first week would have Clay all over TV casting as wide a net as possible.

I'd love to see him just pop up somewhere in the immediate future and be photographed - out to dinner, at a show, at an airport, any place of his choosing. Not photographed by the paparazzi hounds, but Clay intending to be photographed out and about, happy and ready to go.

Not to beat a dead horse, but what irritates me about the Setoodeh stuff is that people act as though since Setoodeh is gay, he can't possibly say anything negative about gay people or anything that is bad for gay people.

Anyway. I better stop before I start ranting.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, album news!