#57: Oh yeah, he really is just. that. good.

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• My, my, my...my boyfriend is making me feel all cougarish and slinky and growly
    • I'd better hold on to my fedora cos I ain't seen nothing yet!
    • He exhilarates me!
    • Unremitting Fangirl reporting for duty. I'm easy and I'm proud of it!
    • The man is made of awesome.
    • Clay Aiken can still curl my toes.
    • Clay Aiken = happy sigh
    • I'm a satisfied Clay fan.

:GM_FCA:

17 Days until June 1st and The New CD! :04:

37 Days until Clay is Bringing Broadway Home to NC!

:yahoo:

54 Days until Clay is Addressing The Key Club Convention!

69 Days until The Timeless Tour Begins!

:09:

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

I admit to having a tough time understanding a lot of the disconnects on the boards. People hate Idol. People want Clay to be on Idol. People hate that Clay is harnessed with an identification to Idol. People want Clay to be mentioned on Idol. People don't want Clay to be remembered as an American Idol runner-up. People want Clay as a musical guest on Idol. I'm confused.

One thing I've never been confused about are my personal feeling about Clay's relationship with 19Recordings. I know most board fans adored MOAM and the Independent and Solo tours, and I wish I had seen both those tours, but I wasn't a Fan Fan then, I was just a fan and heard nothing about those tours. But MOAM itself, was not a great album. It's my personal belief that hundreds of thousands of fans of Clay from Idol eagerly bought MOAM when it came out, as did I, and it wasn't their thing, nor was it mine, and they didn't go any further with Clay. A horde of people bought MOAM as a great big statement to Idol to prove to them that Clay Aiken was the real winner of Season 2. MOAM went platinum, the casual fan was satisfied and went back to her regular listening habits. I think this same scenario could be true for Susan Boyle, in that her next record won't enjoy the success of the debut, because scads of people bought that record not necessarily for the music on it, but to support Susan, herself. To say, "You go, Girl!" Really, the songs on MOAM, with few exceptions were boilerplate, the engineering and arrangements were run of the mill, and Clay's voice was often lost in a mess of orchestrations that lacked clarity and originality. It was a rush job to cash in for 19. I'm pretty convinced of my belief that if Clay's career was "sabotaged" it wasn't instigated by RCA/Clive, but by 19/Fuller. 19 owned the exclusive rights to Clay's recordings and negotiated a license agreement with RCA for recording and distribution, and promotion. Clive produced the first CD, for maximum cash-in, and after that it was a matter of playing out the string on Clay, with new 19 "idols" coming onboard each year and getting maximum promotion for their moments of fame and exploitation until it was time for them to drop off the starmaker conveyor belt. Clay was so on to, and above, that game. He was astute enough to get a crackerjack entertainment lawyer and extricated himself from a supposed "iron-clad" management contract with 19M, and the rest is history. I don't for a minute believe that RCA created and drove the promotion, or lack thereof, for Clay -- RCA acted in accordance with 19, because 19Recordings was footing the bill. Clay was essentially fronted to RCA, as were other idols fronted for their initial contract periods. RCA took a cut, while 19Recordings made the bigger bucks. Anyway, I think that's why Clay has had such an arms-length relationship with Idol.

Idolmaker tycoons like Simon Fuller need power much more than money, which is why it didn't matter if 19Recordings would have made bigger bucks by investing more in Clay's promotion after MOAM. RCA had no motive to hurt Clay's record sales, but Fuller did. Fuller didn't care about the money in Clay's case -- he wanted to make Clay an example, a cautionary tale for others. Now that Clay is free, and is going in his own direction, at his own speed, and with great support from Decca, NOW is the time to watch him go, to watch him shine and succeed with respect, and without strings attached. But, I wouldn't really expect to see him given a platform on Idol or hear his music played on SYTYCD anytime soon. Probably not as long as Fuller's in charge. Clay said that Idol told him they had "moved on" a couple of years back. In the meantime, they've had Ruben and Fantastia on this season.

And my point is ... Tried & True is the album that, had it been released in October 2003, likely would have sold 10 million copies, and might still be selling. As I see it, he never had a chance to reach any musical pantheon with the 19 monkey on his back. Now the skies are free and clear with no encumberances. I couldn't feel more enthusiasm than I do right now!!!

My name is Edith Anne, I'm five and a half years old ... and that's the truth. (blows raspberry) Sorry, sometime Lily just jumps into my head!

I agree with a lot of what you say keepingfaith, but why is Sony releasing that compilation album. Do they think that there are so many fans that still like Clay they will buy it again or is there something out there we don't know about yet? Or possibly just trying to make a few bucks off of the current promo? It just seems weird to me.

I agree with a lot of what you say keepingfaith, but why is Sony releasing that compilation album. Do they think that there are so many fans that still like Clay they will buy it again or is there something out there we don't know about yet? Or possibly just trying to make a few bucks off of the current promo? It just seems weird to me.

Fear, I forgot to ask you the other day where you saw that information. I'm thinking that information may be a year old -- wasn't "The Very Best of Clay Aiken" actually a Sony release? That album came out about a year ago.

I admit to having a tough time understanding a lot of the disconnects on the boards. People hate Idol. People want Clay to be on Idol. People hate that Clay is harnessed with an identification to Idol. People want Clay to be mentioned on Idol. People don't want Clay to be remembered as an American Idol runner-up. People want Clay as a musical guest on Idol. I'm confused.

kf, I pretty much feel the same way! claylove, I know that it's publicity for Clay, and I have to admit it would be good publicity. But it is also rather head spinning when all the different voices are speaking out at the same time regarding what he should do to get back on people's radar.

As for the rest of your rant -- well, kf, it just made my head hurt. I tend to just not think real hard about things like who screwed whom in regards to Clay's career. IMO, Clay's career dealings are better left to HIM, and I can't worry about that.

I love Clay with my whole heart. Love the direction he's taken with this new album, I love his "look," and I love that he's going out on tour with his good friend Ruben. Just call me "simple," OK?

Oh, I was just clarifying what I see people saying, not what I think. I would just assume leave the promo to Decca & Team Clay and I will watch/listen/read where ever he shows up! I am loving the snippets & songs we have heard. Can't wait for June 1st!

From the public side of the OFC:

05/14/10 0 Comments

Check out Clay Aiken's Facebook page for a slew of new promo photos supporting Clay's new album, Tried & True, set to be released on June 1! And what's even better? We're giving away a signed photo of Clay to a randomly selected fan who tags themselves in one of Clay's Tried & True photos on Facebook!

Here's how it works:

• • Visit Clay's Tried & True photo album on Facebook
  • • Select only one individual photo you'd like to tag yourself in
  • • Click the "Tag This Photo" link on the right hand side beneath the picture
  • • Click anywhere on the photo to tag yourself
  • • Once you're all set, click the "Done Tagging" button at the top and you're entered!
    To be eligible, you may only tag yourself once in one "Tried & True" photo. Facebook imposes a limit of 30 tags per photo so, if the tags for a particular picture are filled up, try another Tried & True photo. Tagging yourself in multiple Tried & True photos is grounds for disqualification.

We'll randomly select one (1) person tagged in each photo as a winner and send them a signed photo of Clay!

And, of course, every giveaway needs rules… You may only tag yourself one time in one photo in the album. Only photos in the "Tried & True" Facebook photo album on Clay Aiken's Facebook page are eligible for entry. There is no cost to enter. Entrants only need to have a Facebook account in good standing. Winner will be selected at random on or about Tuesday, May 18 at 12:00pm EDT. Winners will be contacted via personal message on Facebook from one of Clay's representatives. Odds of winning depend on the number of valid entries.

BTW, Facebook only allows 30 tags per picture, and there are only 7 pictures. Therefore, the contest is limited to 210 entries. I tagged myself on his hands in the album cover. *g*

Ldyj, look at #7 X2-a thousand different ways

Clay Aiken at Amazon

The number isn't stable. Here's a direct link: X2

Hmmm. Hadn't seen that. Looks to be a repackaging of Clay's first two non-holiday albums. Wonder if it will have new artwork? New, unreleased songs? Thanks Fear and jmh!

... but why is Sony releasing that compilation album.

What compilation album? Okay, now I see, and I have no idea. Could it be .... free money -- a download only thing with no costs to Sony? Perhaps the thinking is that Clay will be attracting a new audience with T&T who may be interested in going back into his catalog?

I know there have been artists in the past who complained that when they left a label, the old company would release shelved material, to wring every last buck out of the association. I remember Bonnie Raitt complaining about that back in the 80's after she left Warner Bros. But a repackaged MOAM and ATDW is something completely different, unless there's unreleased tracks in there.

I want to see him, too. But I don't remember Clay going on the shows three weeks out. More like the day before, the day of, the couple of weeks after, and then for as long as he gets bookings. Seems to me that it's better to have the product available in the rush of promotion.

kf, I hear what you're saying and I totally agree. But my one concern is that we do normally see/hear of these appearances well enough in advance/prior to the tapings or live shows. I know folks are usually scrambling to get tickets and make travel palns to be there at the tv tapings weeks before, once he is scheduled to be on. So since we have absolutely none, zip, zilch, nadda such info being posted I'm worried that we won't have any :cry4:

At the very least, none to get the first week's sales off the ground with the genral public. Fans not on-line as well as the NJU. Besides, I'm a selfish bitch and I want Clay to be all over my TV ASAP demmit! So needless to say I am verrra verrra anxious to see/hear about it :needclay:

There are millions of gay people all over the world who convincingly portray straight people every single day. Some of them are even actors.

:hysterical::hysterical:

I love Clay with my whole heart. Love the direction he's taken with this new album, I love his "look," and I love that he's going out on tour with his good friend Ruben. Just call me "simple," OK?

Ok. Luv ya, simple :hug:

... my one concern is that we do normally see/hear of these appearances well enough in advance/prior to the tapings or live shows.

You know, treenuts, Jimmy Kimmel is still wide open on June 1 -- both couch guest and musical guest. It's a curiosity for sure.

LdyJ, honey, you're anything but simple -- you just have about three more years worth of scar tissue than me!

I can't believe that Decca is just using viral marketing, so I expect to see some appearances either now or when the PBS show is airing. Fans are going to buy the cd anyway so why not wait until they can also advertise the PBS show?

I'm looking forward to the new marketing plan and so far it is all internet.

I guess I am one of those fans...despise AI, don't watch DWTS, but realize they have a large audience and it would be advantageous for Clay to be on these shows. But I also believe there is a lot of bad blood between Clay and AI and I don't expect to ever see him on the show. I would love for his association with AI to go away...hate that his first name seems to be "American Idol Runner-Up"...but I don't see it ever happening.

Kim

... my one concern is that we do normally see/hear of these appearances well enough in advance/prior to the tapings or live shows.

You know, treenuts, Jimmy Kimmel is still wide open on June 1 -- both couch guest and musical guest. It's a curiosity for sure.

Cool!

I truly am expecting him to do some TV performances/appearances. I think the problem is that many aren't patient to learn when these appearances will be! Besides, except for Kimmel (where the fans are as much of the show as Clay is), I think it would be nice to have audiences that aren't filled with Clay fans. Win the live audiences over with his charm and voice!

LdyJ, honey, you're anything but simple -- you just have about three more years worth of scar tissue than me!

Oh man, and there are days I feel every one of those scars....

bottlecap, sounds like you had fun today!

Ldyj, look at #7 X2-a thousand different ways

Clay Aiken at Amazon

The number isn't stable. Here's a direct link: X2

Hmmm. Hadn't seen that. Looks to be a repackaging of Clay's first two non-holiday albums. Wonder if it will have new artwork? New, unreleased songs? Thanks Fear and jmh!

Not sure if this is the cover or just some artwork this site put together: http://www.fye.com/A...9VVviewprod.htm

I have no idea what is up with this; seems very odd Sony is releasing this now.

And clicking under Posters, they are selling a framed CD of ATDW for $29.99. Yeah, why now? Could they be aware that Clay's new LP is absolute dynamite? If they've heard it they must know that it is.

Listening to my two favorite songs on the way home tonight, I realized that Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You makes me helpless as a kitten up a tree, and Misty is just too good to be true. His voice is something I've run out of adequate adjectives to describe. And turning up the bass on the snippet of Fool. OMG. I could go on, but I know you know what I mean.

WOW!

It took me a full 30 minutes to catch up. Aikim I have my own countdown. 4 days to getting my life back. Finals will be over. And I can't wait to wallow in Clay mania. I loved reading every single word of reaction to the voice. That's what grabbed me and that's why I'll always be here. That voice slays me. And it is in marvelous form on the songs we've been given and the snippets. I had them playing in the backgroud while I worked. I'm not good at explaining how he touches me but I have a big shit eating grin on my face.

I love all the extras we're getting. I want some of everything.

I would like to see Clay on my TV because I think a lot of his audience will find him there. Not everybody in the world is hooked into the internet But i'll leave that to his record label to do. I will have my album in a couple of weeks. I haven't preordered becasue I was waiting to find out who would have the extras. Plus I always like to go into the store to buy as well. That's part of the fun!

I owe a few people some things on this board -- they're on the way

I'm looking forward to the first show. My friend tera, who some of you met in NYC, will be flying down to share the adventure with me and then flying back to Philly. I don't have a thing figured except a one way ticket to Charlotte but I just know I will be there. And LOL but my mom is back on for Reno. She changes her mind every other week I think she'll come!

Have a good weekend everybody. Can't wait to see what's in store next week!

Good luck with those exams as well as getting your life back couchie. Hopefully we can meet up at Asheville.

I need to get going on my hotel reservation Friday night. Asheville is going to be crazy that weekend with their Belle Cher festival, I believe they anticipate 400,000 people that weekend.

I've been taking antibiotics for that darn tooth which got infected after my dental visit over a week ago and finally feeling good enough to go back to the gym this morning. Have a wonderful day! The quiet before the storm.

:GM_FCA:

16 Days until June 1st and The New CD! :04:

36 Days until Clay is Bringing Broadway Home To NC!

53 Days until Clay Addresses The Key Club Convention!:yahoo:

68 Days until The Timeless Tour Begins!:09:

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim