#57: Oh yeah, he really is just. that. good.

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• My, my, my...my boyfriend is making me feel all cougarish and slinky and growly
    • I'd better hold on to my fedora cos I ain't seen nothing yet!
    • He exhilarates me!
    • Unremitting Fangirl reporting for duty. I'm easy and I'm proud of it!
    • The man is made of awesome.
    • Clay Aiken can still curl my toes.
    • Clay Aiken = happy sigh
    • I'm a satisfied Clay fan.

I wonder if there is a difference between the pledge DVD and this one. One would think that would be a good idea, to increase pledges, but I do know you can buy other such DVDs. I've just never looked for one in advance of a PBS special before.

When I first saw Clapton/Winwood at Madison Square Garden as a Great Performance pledge show last year, PBS said the DVD contained additional songs that weren't broadcast. I bought it from Amazon and it contained the same extra songs too, at a fraction of the price. I suppose we won't know until the show airs and we find out what is broadcast, but I know in several instances, with PBS and also with our local Pacifica Radio pledge drives, that a lot of merchandise can be purchased retail much cheaper, but the stations charge a lot for the membership. The premium is considered a gift. But I'll spend the big bucks on a Tried and True DVD as an incentive for PBS to commission future Clay Aiken specials.

LdyJ, I'll bet you're right. It must be a cut and paste because otherwise it doesn't make sense.

I wonder if there is a difference between the pledge DVD and this one. One would think that would be a good idea, to increase pledges, but I do know you can buy other such DVDs. I've just never looked for one in advance of a PBS special before.

When I first saw Clapton/Winwood at Madison Square Garden as a Great Performance pledge show last year, PBS said the DVD contained additional songs that weren't broadcast. I bought it from Amazon and it contained the same extra songs too, at a fraction of the price. I suppose we won't know until the show airs and we find out what is broadcast, but I know in several instances, with PBS and also with our local Pacifica Radio pledge drives, that a lot of merchandise can be purchased retail much cheaper, but the stations charge a lot for the membership. The premium is considered a gift. But I'll spend the big bucks on a Tried and True DVD as an incentive for PBS to commission future Clay Aiken specials.

LdyJ, I'll bet you're right. It must be a cut and paste because otherwise it doesn't make sense.

Sounds good to me. We're always getting onto stuff before it's ready to be officially unveiled. I think today's PBS release was something someone in the Linda Eder fan club received and posted about. It's not just us. :cryingwlaughter:

'In My Life' is on this. YAY!!!! I can't believe I didn't look harder at the contents but I was doing something else at the same time.

I don't often worry about Clay. Or wonder why he doesn't call or write. Or any of that stuff. I am psyched about the album and the DVD, totally. I'm working very hard not to ruin myself with repetitive snippet listening, and to hold on for the whole thing. Which is less than two weeks away now. EEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

This doesn't come out until late July, according to the Decca page. I do think I will have to buy the DVD the very second that I can, even though the first opportunity appears to be at the Chicago station in June, as a pledge special.

But I didn't plop down the $8.99 for an early copy of SM. Yet. I think I can make it. That's a matter of weeks not months.

I'm glad you're cool with it all and optimistic. I'd have to say 2006 was quite a... different year than 2010 in just about every way imaginable. And yeah, that's about all I'll say about that.

I have my graduation ceremony this evening - who'd have thought I'd be getting a diploma at mumbletymumble years old??? It remains to be seen if I throw my cap in the air. :cryingwlaughter:

Congrats Cindilu! You're never too old to learn!

And I'm kinda with you on the where is Clay thing. I've been so buried in my life that the end of May has snuck up on me. The album is to be released in what a little over a week? Seems awfully close not to have some sort of schedule of something. I have a DVR to set. Did I read something about GMA or did I imagine that? It is what it is I guess. And I'll have an a new album soon! And I'll be seeing him soon in concert.

Keeping Faith - feel better. I've been kinda horrible lately about taking care of myself. So I'm trying to pledge to do better, again. I need someone to follow me around 24/7 to make me exercise and to cook exquisite low cal meals heee. I guess I need to win the lotto.

Can someone explain the the airline routes to me. Why do direct flights from Charlotte to Philly cost 500. And do i really have to take a plane from Charlotte to Detroit to Philly? Are there some commuter airlines I should know about that don't come up in orbitz searches? Help!

Hugs FCA closely. It feels so good to be settled. I think I've been working my ass off and doing lots of overtime so I can become indispensable. Unemployment was fun but it sucks too heee. But I feel secure and can cut back a bit and school is over and summer is here and my boyfriend has a new album and I get to have some clayventures. heee. I guess we need to figure out our partay in Reno. I'll work on that early next month.

TGIF...almost.

:GM_FCA:

10 Days until June 1st and The New CD! :04:

11 Days until Clay is Singing on The View!

:yahoo:

30 Days until Clay is Bringing Broadway Home to NC!

47 Days until Clay Addresses The Key Club Convention!

62 Days until The Timeless Tour Begins!

:09:

Happy Birthday To All Celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

From MsMarm at the CH:

Forbes.com

In Pictures: The Year's Top-Earning 'Idols'

No. 9: Clay Aiken

$800,000

The Raleigh, N.C., native maintains a loyal following six years after finishing second on Idol. He has sold 4 million albums and penned a New York Times best-selling memoir. Aiken recently finished a run in Broadway's Spamalot.

#1 Kelly $8 million

#2 Carrie $7 million

#3 Daughtry $5.4 million

#4 Kellie Pickler $4.3 million

#5 David Cook $2.3 million

#6 Jennifer Hudson $2 million

#7 Jordin Sparks $1.8 million

#8 David Archuleta $1.4 million

#9 Clay Aiken $800,000

#10 Kris Allen $672,000

______

I don't often worry about Clay. Or wonder why he doesn't call or write. Or any of that stuff. I am psyched about the album and the DVD, totally. I'm working very hard not to ruin myself with repetitive snippet listening, and to hold on for the whole thing. Which is less than two weeks away now. EEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

This doesn't come out until late July, according to the Decca page. I do think I will have to buy the DVD the very second that I can, even though the first opportunity appears to be at the Chicago station in June, as a pledge special.

But I didn't plop down the $8.99 for an early copy of SM. Yet. I think I can make it. That's a matter of weeks not months.

jmh, you are me, as usual. I've listened to the snippets and the full songs off of FB, but not for a few days now. I've been rationing my watching of the Decca clip too (although I do tend to watch that one more, because it has Clay talking as well as singing). I do believe in something called "delayed gratification" as well as "patience," so I'm happy with what we've received so far. Yeah, it would be nice if he wrote, but I've been so busy at work that even if he did call me personally, I'd probably have to say "Can I call you right back? I've got two students waiting for information from me right now..." LOL

couchie, the only appearance confirmed is The View on June 2. I would guess that he'll be on GMA that week too, but with Diane gone...who knows. I've also read somewhere (not sure where at this point) that Decca has a good relationship with Letterman's show, so I'm wondering if that will be a possibility. I'm still hoping for Craig Ferguson's show. And of course, there's Jimmy Kimmel.

I tend to think that Decca has a long term strategy for this album, and I believe that word-of-mouth is what is going to sell it, especially when the PBS special hits most markets in August. I believe most in the fandom, not to mention the music business, are programmed for huge first week sales. What they then forget is that there is usually a huge drop the next week, and then the product fades entirely. With appearances spread out a bit, not to mention being a fantabulous album, I think this could easily continue to sell into fall, without a huge splash at the beginning.

Off to a full day meeting. I'll have my phone...hee.

:deadhorse2: With apologies to the poor horsey, I'm not even talking about the promo (or lack of if you don't happen to be an online fan who knows where to look) stuff. I do believe they have a plan in place for that - 100%. I also believe that big first-week numbers, etc are not necessarily vital to said plan. Decca seems to be about slow and steady, long-term success. I'm not talking about any E.N.F. need for him to talk to meeeeeeeeeeeee. I just find it exceedingly weird (and increasingly worrisome) that there has been virtually nothing seen or heard from Clay himself since the Raleigh concert. I worry. I'm v. happy for those who don't, but I do. And at the moment the mom and the cynic in me are battling for control over the reasons why.

cindilu2, you are not alone in your feelings of uneasiness. The silence from Clay himself is deafening to me, and I’m not usually like that. I want to feel excited and instead I’m a little concerned. But it is what it is, and “Soon” is in sight.

After what I've been through this week, and being told that my positive mental attitude probably saved me, I'm not worried one damned bit. And, I will not deny myself the pleasure of downloading, and repeated listening, of the new music every chance I get. Life is short, and tomorrow is never guaranteed. I'll take the day's joy as it comes. Listening to the three full songs is a thrill, and for me will not take away from the excitement of the album on the 1st. Not in the least.

But then in my family we opened one present every night the last week before Christmas, leaving the major stuff for Christmas Eve, so I'm conditioned to getting anticipatory gifts. But for the stoics, I salute your resolve. And, just for the record, I am addicted to the last 50 seconds of SM. Sometimes it's just one little thing that can make or break a record, and I love a good ending and fade out!

Well, I don't think he's dead, frankly...

I just don't understand what the worry accomplishes besides stressing y'all out. The worry thing won't make him "talk" to us, I don't see how it could actually hurt him, and it doesn't change anything. If it's something bad or good, what will the worrying do? Like the Great Drought of '04 (or '06 or '08 or whenever the hell it was), all the worry in the world didn't change anything.

Happy happy joy joy works for me!

Quite a few of us saw Faye on 4/25 at Dancing Like the Stars and she didn't seem particularly upset about anything. Of course, I am no insider so she wouldn't confide in me. I think it's a planned silence. My visual is at some point Clay will pop out of a cake and start singing My Eyes Adore You. I am not worried in the least. In fact, I find it quite fascinating and a different sort of promo. :wub:

You know, just speaking for myself here, but my feelings are my feelings and I don’t necessarily appreciate the implication that they’re invalid.

And now I’m done with that subject and will STFU.

Hey, we all have our own personal feelings. I've been slammed plenty enough for mine. But guess what, I don't give a good crap. I don't post for approval or controversy. I just have my say-so, no more no less than anyone else. Just don't see where anyone implied that anyone's feelings are invalid. Yours aren't mine, that's all. And thats okay, isn't it?

People's feelings are valid, no matter what they are...and I mean "valid" in the sense of being authentic and they are what they are...but doesn't necessarily make them right, or unchangeable or too special to be disagreed with. It's that whole communication on a message board thing, if you say something, someone's going to agree or disagree. I admit, if someone says "I want to feel different than how I'm feeling at the moment", my tendency is to provide what I consider to be good reasons to change that feeling. My bad. Still don't see the point in "worrying".

I seem to recall reading here (or someplace) that there might be a get together in Asheville.......... I think it was a breakfast Saturday morning. I cannot find any info on this....... is it happening?? My group is interested......

Billboard Review...sounds like someone actually listened to the CD and gets it!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100521/review_nm/us_music_albums_1

Thanks Kim! Now that I know that Alex Christensen produced Right Said Fred, I'm looking forward to hearing Clay sing, "I'm too sexy for my shirt" -- 'cause God knows he is!

It's clear Billboard likes this CD better than anything that came before, and YAY for terms such as "authoritative," "relaxed vibe," and "summons a swagger he never previously displayed."

Billboard Review...sounds like someone actually listened to the CD and gets it!

http://news.yahoo.co..._music_albums_1

Nice! I'll take it (though I'd argue that he's never displayed a 'swagger' before :imgtongue: It really is nice to read a review that actually does let you believe the person listened to the music. Thanks for the link, aikim.

On a semi-related note - I got a newsletter/email from Rolling Stone today. I haven't received one of those in at least a couple years. Things that make you go 'hmmmmmmm'.

I might be the last one who knows about these videos but just in case I'm not...

Do you give a damn?

Clay is in at least two of them. I do love him so.

There's 3, as far as I know. Two were on the site the day the GiveADamn site opened, but today's, talking about the educators, seems to be a new one. I'm loving him taking part of this site and organization. I've got many friends, gay and straight, who have joined this organization.

EEEEEEEEE for the review. It's nice to see the recognition for his talent!

:GE_FCA:

Long day and the final lessons before our recital Sunday. With just enough time to throw on some clothes and head to the studio down the road, I uploaded a new Carolina On My Mind this afternoon.

Marking the seven-year anniversary of 5/20/03, the entry celebrates the beginning of Clay's musical career and charitable endeavors, as well as the close friendships formed with and by his fans worldwide.

Featured are SueReu's "Amazing Seven Year Journey" montage, a commemorative essay by Mamarose10, and Billboard's T&T review.

Hope you enjoy. Thank you to those who visit and comment in the Internet Clay blogs. :snoopy:

Have a wonderful weekend, all! :BlowKiss:

Caro :listen:

:GM_FCA:

9 Days until June 1st and The New CD! :04:

10 Days until Clay is Singing on The View!:yahoo:

29 Days until Clay is Bringing Broadway Home to NC!

46 Days until Clay Addresses The Key Club Convention!

61 Days until The Timeless Tour Begins!

:09:

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

I remain curious about the Kimmel schedule. From now until June 10th, there's only one show TBD -- June 1. JK tapes a show with Ashton Kutcher at 5pm on June 1 with no musical guest indicated. And he tapes another show that night at 7pm that is completely TBD. I don't know that much about how Kimmel schedules, but it looks to me like the 7pm taping may be shown on June 2. After that the shows are booked until the 11th.

I was reading this morning at the People website about Paula Abdul being on the Idol Finale this year with a surprise group of former Idols to sing to Simon. Yeah I know it won't happen, but I can't help thinking that Clay would be a brilliant surprise finale guest again to sing Simon's favorite song to him. He'd blow the roof off with his new version of Unchained Melody. And, one thing that makes me think it's at least a tiny bit possible is that Simon's fiancee Mezhgan Husseiny recently wrote online that she loves Clay. I was thinking that this could be why Team Clay is being quiet and no other appearances are being announced -- to keep his name out of Idol speculation. Okay, back to reality now. And in reality I do believe that this AI Finale will need a lot of help not to suck terribly. The finalists are the worst ever, even worse than last season which is saying something, and IMO only sound good in relation to terribly weak competition. I don't see any careers for either of the finalists. My DIL has DVRed the shows this year, and I heard Lee sing exactly two songs this season that weren't out of tune -- Hallelujah and The Boxer. His "Hey Jude" was painful, and the judges acted like it was the Second Coming of Song. Crystal has had some moments, but most of them have been boring and her range is limited. Neither of them have discernible personalities. Just my opinion. BUT, what's more than just my opinion is that this finale is on life support without major anticipation of something more than naming a "winner."