#57: Oh yeah, he really is just. that. good.

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• My, my, my...my boyfriend is making me feel all cougarish and slinky and growly
    • I'd better hold on to my fedora cos I ain't seen nothing yet!
    • He exhilarates me!
    • Unremitting Fangirl reporting for duty. I'm easy and I'm proud of it!
    • The man is made of awesome.
    • Clay Aiken can still curl my toes.
    • Clay Aiken = happy sigh
    • I'm a satisfied Clay fan.

:GM_FCA:

7 Days until June 1st and The New CD and possible GMA Appearance! :04:

8 Days until Clay is on The View!

:yahoo:

18 Days until The PBS Special is aired in Chicago!

27 Days until Clay is Bringing Broadway Home to NC!

44 Days until Clay Addresses The Key Club Convention!

59 Days until The Timeless Tour Begins! :09:

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

keepingfaithI hear you about Paul McCartney. I was 13, he was 21. My first love. And it was serious. I collected the Beatles pics that came with bubble gum and I was the dealer for these items at St. Joseph's elementary school where I was an 8th grader. I had a stack of those cards about 5 inches thick. I was the page editor of our school newspaper in high school and my fantasy was that I would be called to interview him and well, he would become as smitten with me as I was with him. Eight years difference didn't seem so bad when I became, say 17. The irony of it all was that I believe he met Linda Eastman when she was set to photograph him. Sigh, if only my people knew his people back in the day. Do you recall that MasterCard commercial that featured Paul a year or so ago? There was a clip of him on a jet ski (circa Help! I think) and he looked into the camera. Watching that on my tv over 40 years later, I had a visceral reaction of the most pleasant kind. I hadn't experienced that reaction to a celebrity until Clay (except for brief dalliences wiht Steve McQueen and No Way Out Kevin Costner).

What amazing experiences you had with live music back then. I still maintain that the 60s and the 70s were the best decades for music. Both FM and AM radio rocked-they were distinctive in their offerings unlike now. I loved the pop radio and the alternative stuff as well-I was addicted to the music even back then. And that is what I love about Clay. I had drifted away from following much in the way of music, mostly listening to NPR. But Clay brought me back, and in a big way, to enjoying music of all genres. (Still not a big country fan but I did go see Vince Gill a few back and loved it).

For those who would like to reminisce about the 60's, wxpn will be doing a retrospective of 1967 songs today -not sure if it is just during the lunch hour (noon EST). They are a public radio station that plays alternative music and they stream. They are pretty much all I listen to when not listening to clay in my car.

www.xpn.org

Warning: xpn is having their fund drive-they don't bother me but they drive some batty

I was talking to a PBS colleague in another city last Friday, and she reminded me of something pretty important that I should tell all of you about pledge. So, in the interest of full disclosure...

PBS PLEDGE INFO – PLEASE READ!

To those of you who are planning to pledge in June and are new to the process: when you make a pledge to a public television station for a DVD, CD, book, tote bag, mug, toy, etc. (PBS likes to call them "thank you gifts" – TYGs -- because it's a way of "thanking" the station for broadcasting the show), don’t expect them to arrive on your doorstep right away.

In fact, when it comes to PBS, the wheels tend to turn a bit slowly. Sometimes the stations don't place the orders for the TYGs with the fulfillment houses until the drive is over. Fortunately in Clay's case (and ours!), his special falls near the very end of our pledge drive. Still, it’s possible that whatever you order might not show up for 4 weeks (it could be sooner, but maybe not). Barring any big snafus, you should certainly receive it before the DVD is available on Amazon and at other retail outlets, and definitely before it shows up on anyone's TV in August. (This would, of course, not apply to any instant audio download if they end up offering something like that.)

I just wanted you have this information ahead of time so you aren't blindsided and can make an informed decision about pledging here. It is still of utmost importance that Clay's special pledge well in its first preview airing so the other PBS stations pick it up. And that is the main reason it’s going to be crucial to pledge in June. I hope you will.

I have a question. While I understand the desire and importance of Clay's special doing well in a preview showing, I wonder what sort of standard it will set and how he will be judged by it. If Clay fans nation-wide pledge to one station like this, is that what will be expected at any subsequent airings in order for it to be deemed successful? Is this something that would be expected of any pledge-drive programming or is this a special case?

It just seems to me that International Media must have researched the viability (saleability?) of Clay's show before investing all that time and money into the production. Surely selling it to these stations is/was their job and they aren't relying on fan-based initiatives for its success?

I have a question. While I understand the desire and importance of Clay's special doing well in a preview showing, I wonder what sort of standard it will set and how he will be judged by it. If Clay fans nation-wide pledge to one station like this, is that what will be expected at any subsequent airings in order for it to be deemed successful? Is this something that would be expected of any pledge-drive programming or is this a special case?

Good points, cindilu2! I don't suppose we can pledge to our local stations citing Clay's Chicago preview as the reason for our June donation, Pink. :flirtysmile3:

I'm off to teach. Y'all have a great afternoon! :twinklewhore:

Caro :listen:

A follow-up, as I'm getting these questions on other boards:

I would say that if you can only pledge once, by all means support your local station. One thing that could help: after this June airing is over (not before), maybe send just one polite email to your local station saying that you heard about the show and hope they will air it. Don't spam them, though...they don't have the time or manpower, usually, to deal with that.

"Out of towners" pledging isn't that uncommon -- according to my pledge team, there are other fandoms that routinely do this (one they mentioned to me was the Yanni fans). Believe me...wherever you're calling from, they're not going to turn down your money! (And will probably say, "thank you very much.")

The other stations, I believe, only see the total amount raised for each show. Might they suspect that people are pledging from out of area? I suppose, but again, it's not out of the ordinary. Again -- I'm probably shooting myself in the foot by saying this! -- if you can only pledge in one place, do it at the station you actually watch.

:hello: All!

I would apologize for being away for so long, but I already know you really don't care! :lol:

Sorry to interrupt, but I just wanted to mention that we are considering doing a pre-party for the Windsor Timeless concert...and I need a show of hands please, for those that are attending and would be interested.

If so, please post in the thread HERE

TIA! See you all there! :twinklewhore:

WE HAVE UPDATED OUR RALEIGH CD RELEASE PARTY WEBSITE.

CHECK IT OUT.

http://web.me.com/cmingis/Site/UPDATE%21_Raleigh_CD_Party.html

ATTENTION CANADIANS. WE HAVE A CANADIAN BEAR WITH CLAY SINGING "OH CANADA" IN TORONTO. THE AUDIENCE JOINED IN. BE SURE TO CLICK ON THE BEARS LINK AT THE TOP OF OUR WEBSITE PAGE IN ORDER TO VIEW SAMPLES OF THE BEARS FOR SALE.

:hello: All!

I would apologize for being away for so long, but I already know you really don't care! :lol:

:smack: Of course we care! Ok....who are you again? hee

Thanks for EVERYTHING, Pink!!! :BlowKiss:

I wanted to jump in on the Beatles Love also. I was seven when I had my first crush and it was on John Lennon :flirtysmile3: I am, to this day still, a Beatles 'Ho. There will never be another ensemble like them!Their sonwriting, harmonies, charm and humor will never be duplicated IMO. I try to see Ringo in concert every chance I get too.

I think he is coming to the bay area again this summer, so if anyone here is interested in going please let me know!! :)

I love this write up on the new CD! Posted by notacanuck at the CC -

This is an Examiner article (which anyone can submit material), but it appears to be written by two guys really into music. They talk about anticipated music releases for next week and Clay's album is the first they talk about.

Clay Aiken Tried & True (Decca)

This is Clay's fifth studio album, and it features classic songs from '50s and '60s. The American Idol Season 2 runner-up does have a great ear for good melodic songs. To wit, Tried & True cuts like "Cant Take My Eyes Off You," "Moon River," "Crying," Herman's Hermits' much-under-appreciateed "There's a Kind of Hush," "Suspicious Minds" and "Misty." Aiken also includes two songs he made his signatures on Idol: "Unchained Melody" and "Mack the Knife," which are the perfect vehicles for his soaring vocals. Congrats, Claynation, your idol will be out on the road with Ruben Stoddard this summer.

IN OTHER WORDS: Love his style or not, Clay's a great vocalist, and these terrific selections are right up his alley.

Sneak REVIEWs ANTICIPATION RATING: 8.7/10

(bolding mine)

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-43585-Entertainment-Reviews-Examiner~y2010m5d24-New-Album-Releases-for-June-1

:snoopy::clap:

Word up Beatle Ho's ... this just announced TODAY!

On Wednesday, June 2nd, the President and First Lady will host a concert in the East Room honoring Paul McCartney, who will be awarded the Gershwin Prize for Popular Song from the Library of Congress. President Obama will present the award as he did last year when the Library of Congress honored Stevie Wonder. The concert will be broadcast on PBS stations nationwide on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 at 8:00 PM EDT (check local listings) as “In Performance at the White House Celebrating the Music of Paul McCartney: The Library of Congress Gershwin Prize.”

And, not only is Ringo on tour, treenuts, but Paul will be in San Francisco on Saturday, July 10th at AT&T Stadium.

cagney, I collected those Beatles cards in 1964. I'd spend my whole allowance on every pack I could find and had a big collection, until one day when I was at school my little sister got crayons and scribbled over almost every one of them. I mourned. That girl was a pistol, and pulled the heads off my dolls, too!!

KAndre, I promise one day we're going to have a Beatles listening party, just you and me, and I'm going to bring you to the light, I swear I will!

Pooh, just got a call from the doctor I have to see next week in the Med Center, changing my appointment to 10:00 on June 2nd. Right, exactly the time Clay will be on The View. At least I have no appointments during GMA on Tuesday, but still it's going to be frustrating to wait until later in the day on Wednesday to watch The View on the DVR. I checked my Amazon order today just to make sure it was there and, man, I'm so glad I did. My order was scheduled to ship priority to my office -- and I won't be there for a while. Whew! I'm glad I looked so I could change the shipping address to home. I plan to download from iTunes at 11pm on Monday night, but as far as getting the Deluxe edition with the DVD, I can't count on Walmart. For the past two releases I've been at Walmart early in the morning only to be told that their distributor wouldn't arrive until later. For OMWH, when I came back at noon, they told me it would be still later before they unpacked the boxes. It was 3pm before they got to it. The only reason I bought any CDs at all from Walmart is because they had FIEKY with the alternate cover, which did make it worth the wait.

Hot reviews make me so so happy. :flirtysmile3: (The Examiner certainly trashed Jack Johnson's new LP, didn't they! He's not my style either.)

There is a new message on Team Clay's Facebook anticipating the CD release next week. This just gets more surreal as each day passes with nothing. Whether 'slow and steady' is their m.o. or not, it's just plain bizarre.

I am just back from the grocery store where I planned to buy just milk and yogurt. Standing, waiting at the check out I see a cheesecake cookbook, Junior's Cheesecake cookbook.

I am flooded with the good feelings that I had just over two years ago when I had the wonderful experience of New York, the city in spring time bloom, the museums, Junior's cheesecake and last but not least Spamalot.

Spamalot which I intended seeing only twice and could not resist seeing four times, the joy of seeing Clay, the laughter and catching confetti in my top and the excitement of getting his autograph at the stage door.

All this from a recipe book.

It seems so much longer than 2 years ago.

I bought the book.

Oh man, the Beatles were always sort of ...like, old! Not like the Monkees. Or Keith Partridge. Or Michael Jackson.

But as long as we have some Beatle songs I actually know most of the words too, it'll be good.

I am excited about the CD...I am looking forward to next week and seeing Clay on TV...I am over the moon that I get to see two concerts this summer...last time I saw Clay live was Dec., 2007...talk about a drought! I am thrilled that the PBS Special will be airing in Chicago in a couple of weeks. And yet I feel like I am the only one excited...seems to be such doom and gloom on the boards and worry; people unhappy with the promotion, unhappy with Decca.

I remember back in the day when the only way you knew someone had a new album out was to walk in the record store and see it on the shelf; the only way you knew if someone was appearing on TV was to see it in the TV Guide...such a simpler time.

Kim

I am excited about the CD...I am looking forward to next week and seeing Clay on TV...I am over the moon that I get to see two concerts this summer...last time I saw Clay live was Dec., 2007...talk about a drought! I am thrilled that the PBS Special will be airing in Chicago in a couple of weeks. And yet I feel like I am the only one excited...seems to be such doom and gloom on the boards and worry; people unhappy with the promotion, unhappy with Decca.

You are not the only one! I am so excited I can't stand it. Next week...next week he will magically appear on my tv. I really don't get the angst about everything Clay. If these folks don't like what is being done, the promo, the songs then just go away and don't rain on my parade. There are a million other singers out there after all.

You are not the only one! I am so excited I can't stand it. Next week...next week he will magically appear on my tv. I really don't get the angst about everything Clay. If these folks don't like what is being done, the promo, the songs then just go away and don't rain on my parade. There are a million other singers out there after all.

They'll never go away. They will be the last people posting after driving away every single fan who is sick to death of moaning, groaning, fear, loathing and finger-pointing whenever Clay releases an album, announces a tour, or gives an interview. Fortunately, people have found out in increasing numbers that they can be dedicated fans of Clay without dealing with the Doomers. The Doomers don't see that a lot of people abandon the boards but don't abandon Clay.

I am just back from the grocery store where I planned to buy just milk and yogurt. Standing, waiting at the check out I see a cheesecake cookbook, Junior's Cheesecake cookbook. I am flooded with the good feelings that I had just over two years ago when I had the wonderful experience of New York, the city in spring time bloom, the museums, Junior's cheesecake and last but not least Spamalot.Spamalot which I intended seeing only twice and could not resist seeing four times, the joy of seeing Clay, the laughter and catching confetti in my top and the excitement of getting his autograph at the stage door.All this from a recipe book.It seems so much longer than 2 years ago.I bought the book.

I understand completely Lotus,just reading your post brought back many happy memories for me. All those you mentioned along with my DH & our boys discovering one of the great cities of the world. Being so thankful that we were able to gift the kids with this possibly once-in-a-lifetime experience, realising my long held dream of seeing Broadway shows, seeing Clay live (in the actual same room as me!!!).

I have photos - of random crowds, busy streets, street-vendors, police cars and cheesecake. They are quick snaps and mean nothing to the friends and family I inflict them onto share them with.

But I know if I mention them here that you will understand. :flirtysmile3:

Of course my Beatles love is well known. My iPod has about 5500 mp3s on it....probably 1000 are Clay of some variation (I love live stuff), and 1500 are Beatles or Beatles related (i.e. solo Beatles, etc).

Lotus, good for you for buying the cookbook! Hee. I often inflict my photos on the unsuspecting. Spamalot was such a good time, and NYC was somewhere I never would have visited otherwise. Now, I feel like I could hop a plane on a whim and go for a weekend, I know the place so well!

I have been so busy with getting my gardens planted, as well as planning, travelling, and finally acquiring my new puppy that I haven't had much of a chance to worry about Clay. Of course, I am counting down the days to the new album release, and will be setting my DVR on June 1st and 2nd for his TV appearances. I am so over the doom and gloom that I don't seek it out....I get my Clay news here (so please and thank you, keep bringing it!) ATDW was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.....I just enjoy what I can, and don't worry about the rest of it. I figure Clay has enough people working for him that know what they're doing, whether or not I understand the grand scheme of things.

So, I will leave you with a picture of my new puppy, Ringo, who is settling in nicely after his long trip. I got him through a pug rescue organization in Ottawa. They think he was used as a stud in a puppy mill in Quebec. He is 2 years old and the biggest, gentlest teddy bear you could ever meet. Piper has her nose a bit out of joint, but she's coming around. She is happy to have a playmate, but I don't think she was expecting him to be quite so big. tongue.gif

post-212-127478373863_thumb.jpg

:GM_FCA:

I really love this board...nice to know I can come here and vent and people understand. I am usually pretty good at ignoring all the crap but yesterday it just kind of got to me.

Hee..Jamar...most negative poster...nothing like cutting to the chase, LOL!

7 Days - 1 week until June 1st and The New CD and Clay on GMA!:04:

8 Days until June 2 and Clay Singing on The View!:yahoo:

18 Days until The PBS Special Airs in Chicago!:yahoo:

27 Days until Clay is Bringing Broadway Home to NC!:yahoo:

44 Days until Clay Addresses The Key Club Convention!:yahoo:

59 Days until The Timeless Tour Begins!:09:

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

Can you believe it? One week!

It's gonna be great! It's gonna be Clay singing! It's gonna be Clay being charming on a few shows! It's gonna be "blast through my car stereo system!"

kf, I thought of you when I saw that Paul McCartney at the White House thing come through on my Facebook wall!

luckiest, what a cute doggie! Glad you were able to rescue him!

Beatles....can you believe I do not have one of their albums and never have?

ONE WEEK TODAY, ONE WEEK TODAY, ONE WEEK TODAY, ONE WEEK TODAY, ONE WEEK TODAY, ONE WEEK TODAY, ONE WEEK TODAY, ONE WEEK TODAY,

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

And for the geeks amongst us...Happy Towel Day