#58: The man is made of awesome!

Thread Title  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• Clay Aiken can still curl my toes
    • Clay Aiken = happy sigh
    • I'm a satisfied Clay fan
    • He's still beautiful, sings beautifully and he's still OURS
    • He's made of awesome wrapped in fabulous with a little more awesome sprinkled on top!!
    • Forget life -- It's Clay time!

Okay, okay, so I made up that stuff about Beethoven's 7th. It's MY favorite. It's the happiest thing he ever wrote. I listened to it earlier tonight for maybe the 1,000th time. My sense of humor must be inscrutable in print. I'm so over the top that my friends in RL actually laugh at me a lot. I mix in my OTT with some honest opinion on a messageboard and it's just obtuse. (Though I really meant the stuff about Michael Buble ... and Peggy Lee's Is That All There Is ... and the amazing incomparable angel Nina Simone -- however, ....... nobody puts LadyJ in the corner.)

On the weekend, I was delivering Clay tickets to a friend. There was another woman there, who wanted to know who the tickets were for. We said Clay Aiken, she said "oh, I am going to see Michael Buble in concert". We said "ewwww, have fun with that" and she said "that's how I feel about Clay Aiken". :P To each his/her own, I guess..... cryingwlaughter.gif

I am way behind on these radio interviews. I think I will compile them all on my iPod and the next trip out of town, I will listen to them all while I'm driving!

It's Impossible is another of my mom's songs....I remember it from when I was a kid. So not my favourite by a long shot, but I do love the way Clay sings it. flirtysmile3.gif

I never actually listened to Buble before hearing him on that download. Thanks Clay for the education. I thought on those two songs his voice was a little thin and immature but his phrasing was quite good. Clay, on the other hand, has an amazing resonant voice and appears to have just really started to work on his phrasing. Clay's phrasing is very subtle compared to some of Sinatra's extreme versions. I think right now subtle works better for Clay.

Music was very important to us growing up. As kids we loved listening to my parent's old 78s. I can remember one that had no music but was someone laughing and after a few seconds we would start laughing and rolling on the floor. Fun times. But I digress.

I'm pretty zen about his cd sales this time around. I know they are important, but I just bought KD Langs cd and haven't actually taken it out of the wrapper yet. She didn't appear in the top anythings and rapidly disappeared from the top 100. This was after appearing and singing on the Olympics show. Yet I know her name and voice and will always buy her albums. Other than the Olympics, I haven't seen her on tv in years. So no matter what happens to Clay in his life, I'm pretty sure he'll always be here to sing for me.JMO

By the way - Good Morning! Those darn cats woke me up early again. :naughtywag:

:GM_FCA:

"It's Impossible"...loved it since he sang it at GFI...this song and "What Kind of Fool Am" were just made for Clay's voice.

6 Days until Clay is Bringing Broadway Home to NC!:yahoo:

23 Days until Clay is Addressing The Key Club Convention!:yahoo:

38 Days until The Timeless Tour Begins!:09:

Happy Birthday to all Celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

I think I'm going to start calling keepingfaith "Johnny" after her "in the corner" to me. MUAH!

Damn it, I almost forgot about the song of the day. I'm getting ready to leave for two weeks, and I'm sorry, but it almost slipped my mind. Anyway, the song of the day is...

Unchained Melody

Never thought I'd hear myself say, Hooray I'm going back to work today, but after a month that's what I'm saying. I predict when it stops being half-days I'll have a new view of the situation.

Re Clay's phrasing, that's part of his magnificent vocal charm. When I watched the clack of him singing UM during the JBT, I was struck by the first couple of "I need your love"'s -- so deep, so sexy, so conversational and connected. It remade the song for me. I love that he's kept that in "his version" on T&T and it's part of what makes it "his version" to me as much as the dynamic "I need your love" 's at the end. Clay is gifted at phrasing lyrics in a song, and it's true of every single thing he does on Tried & True.

Never thought I'd hear myself say, Hooray I'm going back to work today, but after a month that's what I'm saying. I predict when it stops being half-days I'll have a new view of the situation.

heee... probably. But I'm still thrilled to get up and go to work after 4 months! The little stuff everybody else complains about... not me!!

Lucky that might be a road hazard listening to Clay chat you up while driving.

Have to comment of UM before I leave for my 5 day bike tour. This is one of my favorite on the CD and I love the live version on the View. I have replayed this song so many times. I can not wait to hear this live. See you guys on Sunday evening. Hope I am in shape to ride 70 miles in one day in the hills of upper lower Michigan. They are not mountains but steep enough!!

On the weekend, I was delivering Clay tickets to a friend. There was another woman there, who wanted to know who the tickets were for. We said Clay Aiken, she said "oh, I am going to see Michael Buble in concert". We said "ewwww, have fun with that" and she said "that's how I feel about Clay Aiken". :P To each his/her own, I guess..... cryingwlaughter.gif

My in-laws (including 4 adults) are coming to Houston so they can go see the Jonas Brothers. My husband suggested our kids ought to go with them, to which they each replied with vehement variations of ' _____ no!' When I asked the non-Clay fan kid why not, she replied, 'because I actually have taste in music!' LOL

On a side-note, same kid came into my office yesterday saying she had seen Clay on the television at the gym, talking about why he didn't come out while on idol. She said he looked good...and gestured to her chin, indicating the scruff, and said he looked like he had slimmed down. I didn't know which interview she meant, since I haven't seen them all, but when I went to the CNN thread at CH and looked up the Access Hollywood clip, she said that was the one she saw. She laughed because they bleeped him. hee She had a lot of sympathy for the situation he found himself in, probably because she has gay and bi-sexual friends, one of whom was kicked out of his home when he came out.

On another side-note, when I asked Clay-fan kid where she heard "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You" she verified that it was first on the movie I mentioned, but that she also has it on her ipod. 'Really? Which version?' 'Frankie Valli' She likes the chorus a lot! hee

Okay, I have a big fat opinion about Unchained Melody that relates to Crying as well, and started for me with Falling. Here goes:

I wasn't so crazy about the song Falling on OMWH, but the thing that made me love it was that Clay dropped that blasted hard "g" in "ing" and sang "Fallin'" and that sounded natural to me. Clay doesn't speak "inG" and I prefer that he not sing it either.

Now, in Unchained Melody, the FIRST thing that got my attention was at the very beginning when he says, "my darlin', I hunger for your touch." It's the same "darlin'" he used with that precious baby in Afghanistan and just melts my heart.

Then he totally blows me away with Crying which is actually now "Cry-yin" all the way through, and includes, "But darlin' what can I do" -- it's all too much!! Damn I love it so.

I like people to sing in their natural vernacular. One of the best things about the Beatles was that they didn't try to Americanize their vocals and they started a trend with the British groups. And Willie Nelson doesn't sound like he's from any place but Texas. Clay just sounds more authentically himself by dropping the over-pronunciated g's. And, to me, it's just overtly sexy.

Being back at my office today is a piece of cake. It's seems to be Celebrate Sandy Day. And then there's lunch with friends at noon, and back home at 3 o'clock. I can do this!

"It's Impossible" is an earworm to me too. I get this mental image of Clay crooning it to Reed -- then Reed says "Dance with me. Don't worry, I'LL lead." LOL

Also agree that he smiles when he sings "Ask a baby not to cry, oh how impossible." Got plenty of Parker's crying spells to remember, no doubt!

UM is just sooo amazing to me. I've looked forward to a recorded full-length version of that for so long, just as I did "Moon River" after it *almost* made it on the Primetime Live show he did with Diane Sawyer. Oooh how cheated I felt when it didn't! but now we have it. UM is just exquisite, and the big BIG changeup and belting just leaves me limp, satisfied and happy. Exactly how it sounds Gals!!! LOL :cryingwlaughter:

The Voice -- Linda Eder Official Fan Newsletter

Dream Duet

On the evening of March 12, 2010, a very special musical event took place at Memorial Auditorium in Raleigh, North Carolina. American Idol superstar Clay Aiken debuted his new album, TRIED & TRUE [which was just released on June 1], before a live audience. As it turned out, there was a huge surprise in store for the audience on this special night! Many of Clay's fans knew that he was going to sing a duet, but the identity of his partner was a well-kept secret. Linda's entrance onto the stage brought thunderous applause from the already psyched-up audience.

Linda and Clay's duet of Roy Orbison's "Crying" was one of those "moments in time" that the audience members will never forget. It is a moment Clay and Linda will fondly remember also.

Clay Aiken and Linda Eder

THE VOICE goes one-on-one with Clay Aiken!

VOICE: To start, could you tell us a little about the concept of TRIED & TRUE?

CLAY: TRIED & TRUE is a collection of some of the most recognizable, and in my opinion, melodically beautiful songs of the 50s and 60s. These songs, as with so many we consider standard, are really some of the most gorgeous songs ever written and I wanted to sing them because you just don't hear songs this good on the radio anymore.

VOICE: Given all the great classic songs included on TRIED & TRUE, it seems like the perfect album to debut a duet with Linda Eder, who is so well-known for singing standards. When did you first become aware of Linda Eder? Could you tell us about how you discovered her music and your thoughts about her as a performer at that time?

CLAY: I heard Linda for the first time in the same way that many did... through her incredible performance in JEKYLL & HYDE. I was a senior in high school when I first heard the soundtrack to that show, and as we all know, her voice is incomparable and unmistakable. I performed "This Is The Moment" for a regional talent show when I was in high school, and though that wasn't her song in the show, she was a major reason that it has always been a favorite of mine.

VOICE: When did you come to meet Linda Eder?

CLAY: I first met Linda in 2008 at a benefit for Rosie O'Donnell's Broadway Kids organization. Linda sang an incredible version of "If I Could" that had half the audience in tears. Rosie was kind enough to introduce us afterwards. Linda also sang for a Family Equality Council event when I was in attendance. I love how she is so willing to use her incredible gift for causes that are important to her.

Clay Aiken performs songs from his new album, TRIED & TRUE.

VOICE: You and Linda have something special in common - you both got your start in the music industry from wildly popular television talent show competitions (Linda from "Star Search," and you of course from "American Idol"). Plus, you both have incredible voices. One could say you're kindred spirits! Could you tell us a little about the actual experience of recording the duet with Linda?

CLAY: It was really interesting going in to the studio with Linda. I've recorded duets before, but never actually been in the studio when the other person sang. (the magic of the music industry, huh?) Linda is so laid back and casual in the studio that it was a breeze. She knows what sounds great, and she is so good that she doesn't have to put forth that much effort to be perfect. Some folks sing through songs line by line over and over and over and over to get things right. With Linda it was pretty much perfect the first time. There were a few times when she said, "Oh, I wanna do that over," and all of us in the control room just looked at each other with surprise because we already thought she had nailed it.

VOICE: In particular, many fans are raving about your duet of "Crying" with Linda. Can we perhaps expect more collaboration in the future?

CLAY: When it comes to female singers with flawless and impeccable vocals, very few folks compare to Linda. I do hope we find opportunities in the future to work together.

VOICE: Unrelated to TRIED & TRUE and the duet with Linda, both you and Linda are involved with charitable organizations. Could you please tell us about your charity, the National Inclusion Project, so that Linda's fans can learn more about it?

CLAY: I worked as a special education teacher before I started this whole singing thing. Many of the kids who I taught or worked with were left out of extracurricular activities because of their physical or cognitive limitations. So, after Idol, a friend of mine and I started an organization to help community groups, after school programs, summer camps, daycares... really any group that works with children... to help them include children with disabilities into their programs. We would love for you all to check out more at www.inclusionproject.org.

THE VOICE was very interested to hear what those in attendance at the PBS taping thought of the duet, and we are happy to share those impressions with you. We will begin with Clay's #1 fan!

~ Clay's Mom, Faye Aiken Parker

Clay's fans (many of whom were already Linda's fans) who were privileged to be in the audience on that special evening, and even some who just wished they were there, were very enthusiastic about sharing their thoughts for Linda's fans in THE VOICE. We know you will enjoy reading their descriptions of the experience of attending the PBS taping and hearing Linda and Clay perform "Crying."

Judy Anderson from Ontario, Canada writes…

I have been a fan of Clay's from the beginning, and I must tell you, this concert absolutely blew me away! It was fantastic, professional and perfection. No one knew that Linda Eder was going to be there, and it was such a treat! My God, the best two voices out there today! Clay and Linda just harmonized perfectly… it was just beautiful. I can't wait to hear "Crying" again… once is just not enough. I want to put my headphones on and capture the beautiful tone. I traveled with two friends out of Toronto by bus for a total of 26 hours… and I'll tell you, it was worth it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I will travel anywhere to see Clay. No two concerts are the same. I've seen lots of performers in my day... but since Clay, no one even comes close. I am beyond thrilled that Linda will be on the CD with Clay! PERFECTION!!!

Tracie Anderson from Texas writes…

I am a Clay Aiken fan and a Linda Eder fan. I saw Linda in JEKYLL & HYDE and was just blown away by her talent. I can't wait to hear Clay and Linda's "Crying" duet. It doesn't get any better than having two amazing voices in one song!

Cathy Anselmo from Ohio writes…

First of all, the concert was professional all the way, from Clay's singing, to the dancing, to the lighting effects. When Linda came out and they started singing "Crying" together, it just moved me so much. Their voices combining together to makes such beautiful music was just heavenly. Both Clay and Linda know how to sing. They pronounce words perfectly and the blend was just magnificent. This concert was my first Clay concert, and I am hooked now and only want more. He is an entertainer with a capital E, and I know he will succeed in this crazy music business.

Rosalie Barsky from Arizona writes…

I am a huge Clay Aiken fan, and I have waited all these years for Clay to find a good home with a label that recognizes his tremendous talents. When I heard he was doing "Crying" with Linda Eder on his first CD with Decca, I was thrilled beyond belief because he finally had a voice comparable to his own to share a duet with. Linda has one of those memorable voices that few can match and joined with Clay's memorable voice, this song can be nothing but beautiful and sublime. I haven't heard it yet, but it is one of the cuts I am most anxious to hear.

Pam Bassett from California writes…

My husband and I traveled from Los Angeles, California to Raleigh to see the PBS special. I can honestly say after having followed Clay Aiken's career for the past eight years, having listened to all of his albums and attended several of his concerts, we have NEVER heard his voice in better form! His duet with Linda was fantastic as well! This PBS special was entertaining and well done! We look forward to the coming TRIED & TRUE album release and seeing him with Ruben Studdard on tour here at the Nokia Club on August 1st!

Alice Bledsoe from Texas writes…

I was one of those lucky people who had the privilege of being at the PBS taping in Raleigh on March 12th! It was one of the greatest shows I have ever witnessed, and its airing on PBS cannot come soon enough! Fortunately, the album releases in just a few weeks, and I can't wait to download it from iTunes at midnight and buy my hard copy locally the next day! That Linda was also part of the night and dueting with Clay on the album… my goodness, it was more than I could have imagined! It was pure bliss and such a treasure to hear two wonderful people who sing so beautifully and with such heartfelt emotion, true song stylists and, for my ears, the two best voices in the world today. A number of my friends who were there said they immediately thought of me when Linda was introduced as they know I so love her too. I was SOOO glad they had an opportunity to hear her sing live.

I will paraphrase a little of Clay's introduction of Linda. He started out by saying that in his senior year of high school, he had been in an event at this venue and he performed "This Is The Moment" and explained it was from a musical filled with great music, JEKYLL & HYDE. He said there was a singer in that great show who was so fabulous and blew people away with her performances… that he has long considered her voice absolutely incredible, as have many… that they wanted a great voice to be in the duet with him… that PBS held her talent in such high regard that it could be no one else… and that he was honored to have her there to sing this duet with him. When Clay first mentioned JEKYLL & HYDE, of course, my thoughts went to Linda. As his story continued and he talked about this voice of one of the ladies in the show, I uttered an OMG and my heart rate increased! Then after he said how much PBS loves her… Oh, Lord, it had to be… more OMGs… and finally it was!!! He finally said her name. When Linda came onto the stage, she looked beautiful and just shone! Linda's appearance was kept as a surprise, and Clay was so proud to present this wonderful gift to the audience. It raised an already perfect night to even higher levels! Just WOW! WOW! WOW! They soared in the delivery of this classic song! Their voices blended so very beautifully, two extraordinary singers who know how to harmonize and duet well!! During a portion of the song, in duet, Linda's voice was featured more, and later, Clay's voice was the feature; elsewhere, they blended so well. Linda also had a solo section. It was absolutely phenomenal! After the show, many of the Clay fans were saying that was their favorite performance of the night, or else it was in their top three!

I've dreamed for years that Clay and Linda's paths would cross and they would work together. I absolutely cannot wait for the PBS airing so I can see all the performances again and order my very own copy!!! I still can't believe it happened, but I'm ohhhh so very glad it did! (Hmmmm… wonder if they might want to go on tour together?! That would be just WOW!) Truly, Linda and Clay are each my all-time favorite musical artist. I'm so very happy about this collaboration. Linda's tour is coming to Richardson, Texas in October… what a treat for Texas!!! Wish tickets would hurry up and go on sale!

Jeannette Boyle from New York writes…

I loved Linda since "Star Search," and seeing her onstage with Clay was the fulfillment of a dream that began years ago but was reinforced when they appeared at the Family Circle Award Ceremony in New York City last year. Clay didn't sing that night, but Linda blew the roof off Tavern on the Green, and I was one happy person seeing and hearing it all. Clay Aiken has a unique magnificent voice, and I have never heard it better than the Raleigh concert introducing his new CD, TRIED & TRUE. In his introduction to one song, Clay took great care in stating that he, DECCA and PBS wanted to have a duet with the most superb female voice they could find. All three made lists of potential duet partners, but only one name appeared on all three lists… Linda's. My jaw dropped because I have wanted him to sing with her for so long. He also said he wanted to sing WITH his duet partner together… not via tapes. The perfect duet resulted and showed the wisdom of this decision. The duet of Roy Orbison's "Crying" was amazing. Their voices blended beautifully. There was not only a sweetness of sound but also a strength of control that is difficult to describe. They made magic with their voices, hitting notes and inflections with a common confidence some other singers could only dream about. Linda and Clay shared the stage such a short time that you hated to see her leave. Everyone rose to their feet to thank her for lending her beautiful voice and presence to an amazing evening. I hope to see and hear them on stage together again. I hope you feel the same. Meantime, I cannot wait to get my hands on that CD!!!

Joy Brown from Iowa writes…

I had the privilege in March of this year to not only attend the taping of Clay Aiken's upcoming PBS special, but also the rehearsal the night before. At this rehearsal, we got to hear some amazing songs and arrangements that were going to soon be heard by all. Clay told us that the next night we would be hearing a duet but would not tell us who it would be with. They did rehearse it without the other singer that night, so we knew it would be the song "Crying." My mind was racing, trying to figure out just what voice would be joining his on one of my favorite songs.

The next night came and we were treated to one incredible song performance after another. It was time for the much anticipated duet. Clay introduced his duet partner, talking about how it was the only name that kept coming up by all, the only choice, really. Linda Eder. As she walked onto the stage, the audience roared. What a perfect, incredible choice. I wish I could convey to you all just how amazing this duet was. I am not sure the right words exist. Clay and Linda sang this song so beautifully that one must truly experience it to know what I mean. The notes, the music, the voices… the perfect blending of two voices that complement each other perfectly… two voices that are the perfect match of strength and beauty. I have heard many, many duets in my time, and this has easily become my very favorite. I truly look forward to hearing it again, many times!

Wendy Champion from Nebraska writes…

On March 12, 2010, I attended the taping of a very special one night only concert by Clay Aiken in Raleigh, North Carolina. This PBS special, scheduled to be aired in August, highlighted songs from Clay's upcoming release of his CD, TRIED & TRUE, available on June 1st. We were treated to Clay performing some of the beautiful songs of the 50's and 60's… "Mack The Knife," "Misty" and "Unchained Melody," to name just a few. When Clay began to introduce a duet that was going to be on his upcoming CD, it was a wonderful surprise for the audience… and for me, as a long-time Linda Eder fan. It was a total thrill to see her walk on stage and sing "Crying" with Clay. It was a beautiful blending of two of the strongest and purest voices I have ever heard. I am so excited for the CD release date to own this amazing duet, but to be there to see Linda and Clay perform it live was a dream come true for me!

This was not the first time that Clay's fans had the opportunity to see Linda and Clay together. In April of 2009, the Family Equality Council held their award dinner at the Tavern on the Green in New York City. The event brought together LGBT parents, friends and allies to celebrate the progress made as a community of loving families towards full equality. Platinum recording artist Clay Aiken and the Director of Center Kids at the LGBT Center in New York, Terry Boggis, were honored. They had a very special guest performance by Linda Eder. Linda sang "If I Could" for the enthusiastic crowd.

Maylon Clarke from Cape Town, South Africa writes…

I live in Cape Town, South Arica, and have been a fan of Clay's voice for many years. I have, because of this duet on his up-coming CD with Linda, been watching her videos on YouTube. She is also a wonderful singer. I will be looking out for her from now on, even though I never heard of her before. I am a huge fan of good singers and am so glad to have found another.

Gini Clifford from Tennessee writes…

I was at the Raleigh concert and it was just fabulous! I didn't think it could get any better when I heard them announce Linda's name, and I almost jumped out of my seat! Their voices blend so beautifully together, it was stunning! My husband and I travel to New York City frequently and have heard some wonderful voices, but Linda is in another league. I bought him one of her CDs at a Broadway Cares auction several years ago and we just love it! I would love a CD of duets from these two outstanding voices.

Anne Cotton from North Carolina writes…

I was thrilled to be able to attend Clay Aiken's PBS taping! I thought the Clay Aiken/Linda Eder duet was wonderful. I was thrilled that "the powers that be" had paired Clay with someone of substance, someone with "stature" and reputation in music. Plus I LOVE her voice! And y'all know I love Quiana, (Clay's backup singer from Charleston, South Carolina) and I believe she and Clay could have done a superb job, but having Linda Eder duet with Clay was a major "get" to me. People have asked about the duet being just for the one night, the taping or the album. I'm 99% sure that he was talking about a duet ON the album, not a duet just for the concert. Clay said that he's been wanting to do a duet and that "they" (the label, his management, and himself) each made a list of possible people to duet with, and one name was on all three lists. Then he introduced Linda and the crowd went wild! (Or maybe that was just me!)

The performance was beautiful and powerful, to me. I know some people felt there was a "disconnection" or "physical distance" between Clay and Linda, but that may have been because they needed space between them so the cameras could get each of them in close-up shots. I was sitting up close on the side. I have no recollection of where the cameras were for the duet, but I didn't feel "disconnection" with them. I felt vocal blending, but I also felt the heart wrenching sadness of the lyrics. I bet on the broadcast there will be close-up shots of both. Linda was wearing a beautiful white dress, but I have lost the details in my mind! I think it was a halter top-ish gown with small pleating in the skirt or something similar, which gave nice movement. Anyway, she was beautiful and I was thrilled to see her live! Linda Eder was the icing on the proverbial cake! It just showed how much TPTB wanted this show and wanted Clay to succeed on this important night! This is the kind of pairing Clay should have been getting for the past seven years! I do want to say I thoroughly enjoyed the musicians… the muted trumpet, the bass, the cello, the orchestrations, and the arrangements. As others have said, there was no denying that there was much thought and a lot of money put into this production! I'm so looking forward to how they put this show together! I can't wait to hear this CD and see this Special!!!

Vickie Davie from Florida writes…

Having seen just the video clip of the concert, I wish I had been able to be there!! A once in a lifetime experience to be sure! "Crying" is one of my mother's and her sister's all-time favorite songs, so I know it well and have loved it for years. I can't wait to hear the TNT version with Clay and Linda! Clay does duets so well. They both have such stunning voices, and I am sure they sound amazing together! My mom has all of Clay's albums, and knowing the music on this new one is from her generation, she's looking forward to it as well. I'm also really looking forward to what Linda's fans think of it, and the rest of the album and the PBS special. It would be great if we could hear from Linda herself, too. I think it's really cool that you're doing this. Thanks for asking for our input.

Marilyn Detken from Florida writes…

I was very lucky to be at the PBS taping. My two favorite singers are Clay Aiken and Linda Eder. I have been to more of her concerts than Clay's. When I realized that he was about to introduce her to sing with him, I nearly fainted. I never thought that we would be able to enjoy these two wonderful voices together. But when they started to sing "Crying," it made the concert for me. My favorite singers, singing my favorite Roy Orbison song, more beautifully than I could have imagined! I cannot wait for this CD.

Deb Dixon from Ontario, Canada writes…

The entire evening was amazing, and Clay's and Linda's voices singing "Crying" were so incredible together. It was a few minutes in time when you just held your breath because the sound was so pure and the voices blended so unbelievably that it left most people stunned by its beauty. There just weren't enough superlatives to describe it. Honestly! When Clay introduced Linda, he said that they had decided they wanted a duet with a female on Clay's upcoming album… so the label, Clay, and his management EACH sat down to write a list of female vocalists with whom they would like to hear him sing. Linda Eder was the ONLY person on all three lists. It was a brilliant choice! We went to the taping as Clay Aiken fans, but Linda gained a lot of us that night too.

Robyn Flintoft from New Jersey writes…

I read your request about the PBS special and the duet by Linda and Clay. I was fortunate to be there and cannot wait for the special, as the whole night was beyond amazing. The details are a bit fuzzy. I don't remember what Clay said in his introduction of Linda, but I knew that he must have been speaking about her, and I was so excited to see her come out onstage.

Last year I was invited to the Family Equality Council dinner in New York City, where Clay and Linda were honored. I have been a fan of hers for many years, have many of her CDs, but had never been able to see her live. I told my friends about her amazing talent, and recommended CDs and youtube clips. I was thrilled that Clay was getting to meet her that night (if he didn't know her already). They are the cream of the crop, IMO, when it comes to vocalists. So, to find out that they recorded "Crying" for Clay's CD… whoa! Before they began the song, I knew we were going to be "blown away" by the duet. Talk about an understatement! They really "stand out" in comparison to so many of today's "singers." No need for technological enhancements for their voices! I am going to three of Clay's concerts, in New York and Pennsylvania, and I hope that Linda makes guest appearances. It would be wonderful to again experience the magical blending of their voices, live.

Cindy Goodwin from North Carolina (formerly of Andover, Minnesota) writes…

I was at the Raleigh concert when Linda sang the duet with Clay and I loved it. I felt they blended together very nicely. When he announced it was Linda that would be singing with him, I smiled from ear to ear because like her, I am from Minnesota and I had just moved here to Cary 11 days prior to the date of the concert. I turned to my aunt Pat, who came down with me, and said, "Did you know Linda is from Minnesota?" I remember watching her on "Star Search" and, like Clay, they both are success stories from reality TV. I look forward to the album. Both Clay and Linda are made to sing songs like this.

Carole Hart from Ontario, Canada writes…

I was privileged to be able to attend the taping in Raleigh on March 12th. It was, without a doubt, the most awesome concert I have attended in my all too many years. Clay's voice was better than it ever has been. The songs being sung were ones that were made for his voice, and he made those old songs sound like we had never heard them before. His duet with Linda Eder was simply amazing. In my opinion, not too many people have voices that even compare to Clay's, but Linda's voice was superb and they complemented each other so well. Did I say that the concert was Awesome? Amazing? Unforgettable? I can't wait for Clay's CD to drop on June 1st and for the PBS Special to be aired so I can hear and see it all over again. As an aside, did you know that Clay, his manager and the AR guy from Decca all wrote a list of who they thought they should get to sing a duet with Clay on the album? Linda's name was the only one that appeared on all three lists! I think they picked a real winner.

Donna Hoermann from Missouri writes…

I have been a fan of Clay's for seven years. I had never heard of Linda Eder until Clay did a benefit in New York and she was there. A lot of Clay's fans posted about what a great singer she is. I Googled her and what a find! Her voice is sublime. I did not get to go to the taping of the PBS special, but read all over the Clay boards what a great duet they did together. I cannot wait to hear it. Two beautiful voices! From what I read, Clay, his manager and the Senior Vice President from Decca Records, Dave Novik, all put three names in a hat of females that they thought had the best voice for the duet. All three of them picked Linda. WOW! So, needless to say, I am so excited to be able to hear this song. I wish it was on the youtube promo from International Media, but it isn't. It is one of two songs that I am anxiously anticipating that we have not heard yet. The other is "Unchained Melody," which I hear has an ending that sounds like a sonic boom or 747! I can't quite understand that but can't wait to hear it.

Rita Hovermale from North Carolina writes…

Hi Linda,

I was one of the lucky ones who was there in Raleigh, North Carolina the night of the PBS taping. Your duet with Clay of "Crying" was one of the HIGH points of the concert. Few, if any, of us knew that you would be a surprise guest. What a rare TREAT!!! I don't think I have ever heard two voices so totally blend together to form a NEW VOICE!! A MAGNIFICIENT VOICE! It sent shock waves through to the very core of my being! I couldn't breathe with the wonder of it! I have lived many years and enjoyed the joy that good music brings. I have lived through the times of Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy, Robert Goulet and Shirley Jones, Gordon MacRae and Kathryn Grayson, to name a few of the great man/woman duet combos. I cannot WAIT until the CD TRIED & TRUE becomes available on June 1. Then I can play it over and over and over, any time I like!!! Thank you for sharing your wonderful one-of-a-kind voice with Clay's fans, your fans, (and after the CD drop and the airing of the PBS Special), a whole generation of new fans!!!

God Bless,

Rita Hovermale (Clay fan and now a Linda Eder fan!!!)

Mina Jones from Arizona writes…

I was not at the taping of the PBS special in Raleigh, but I have heard how wonderful the "Crying" duet was. I cannot wait to see it on my TV.

Alice Kakuda from California writes…

At the Clay Aiken PBS taping, I was blown away hearing the duet sung by Clay and Linda! Their voices blended so beautifully, drawing out such an emotion in me that left me breathless! NO kidding! I had never heard Linda before, nor knew of her background until Clay introduced her to us. I'm so looking forward to hearing their duet again as I know that I'll be playing it repeatedly, whether from iTunes or on a CD. In my opinion, these are the kind of singers we should hear of more often, but radio plays only mainstream artists. I listen to the top 40 countdown on Saturdays to hear what's current and unfortunately, not the best artists, nor songs. With the domination of Clear Channel, that's all we're getting… a select group of popular artists whose songs are repeatedly played! (Sorry for my rant.) I do hope that the TV stations select Clay's Special to air, as this was an event that was spectacular! Since then, I've learned more about Linda and hope to one day see her in another performance. Actually, I was hoping that she would be touring with him, but I guess that's unrealistic. What was so special was to be able to hear artists like her with such talent! It was a thrilling and unforgettable evening of great singing!

Thanks for asking for our comments. Best to Linda.

Nancy Light from Connecticut writes…

My husband and I were at the PBS taping and lucky enough to hear the duet Linda did with Clay of "Crying." It's funny because a few weeks earlier I had been talking with a friend about who would be a great guest on the special, and we both had Linda Eder on our list. My Dad, who passed away at 91, discovered Linda's voice when he went to the library in his later years to take out CDs that he would then make into discs for himself to play at home. We found many of Linda singing after he passed away. I had no idea he was a fan - but was thrilled he had discovered how great she was. I smiled thinking my Dad had good taste! I'm not one who normally jumps out of my seat and gives standing ovations. I really want them to mean something, and I kind of hate that sometimes they seem so forced. I have to tell you that after Clay and Linda's duet, I was up and standing and clapping so loudly before I had time to even look around and see if anyone else was. Of course, they were. It was simply spontaneous. It was such a magical moment and they were incredible together. My husband kept talking about how he had such chills when they were singing. Their emotional connection was gut-wrenching and achingly beautiful. Simply an amazing experience! I cannot wait to hear it again and am so looking forward to TRIED & TRUE. "Crying" is going to be a standout in what I'm sure is going to be a stellar album.

Julia Maish from Illinois writes…

I was at the Raleigh taping of Clay Aiken: Tried & True -- Live! Oh, it was sensational! Linda Eder (the best female voice) singing with Clay Aiken (the best male voice) was absolutely sublime. I can't wait to hear the recording of this and see the PBS special. I'm so glad Linda was a part of this show.

Kelly McKown from Kentucky writes…

I was honored to be at the PBS taping and will freely admit that while the name Linda Eder might have been in my head floating around, it had no real context. I wasn't a "fan" per se and couldn't have told you any particular mark on Linda's resume. But the excitement in Clay was evident as he began the buildup to her introduction. I will admit that I was slightly hesitant when I realized the song was "Crying." Roy Orbison is iconic. He's "un-imitatable." There's a haunting quality to his voice that is especially apparent on "Crying" that has always made the song for me, but the duet Clay and Linda have put together left me with chills. Their voices blended perfectly and at the end of the night when my friends and I were dissecting the concert piece-by-piece (as Clay fans are wont to do), it was "Crying," not any of the other songs, that made me anxious with anticipation for the CD. I wanted to hear that song over and over again right at that moment. While I still might not be able to recite Linda's resume or tell you everything that she has coming up, I am definitely now a "fan" and want to hear more.

Sue Nepa from Pennsylvania writes…

I was in attendance at the taping of Clay's PBS special in Raleigh on March 12, 2010. The duet between Linda and Clay was absolutely mesmerizing. Not only did they harmonize perfectly, their interpretation of "Crying" was moving and real. Every nuance, every glance brought this already powerful song to life. I witnessed two very talented performers who love their trade and who both happen to have near perfect voices. It was a night I will never forget and I can't wait to hear the finished performance on Clay's new album, TRIED & TRUE. Thanks for asking our opinions. As you may have already realized, Clay's fans are very dedicated and devoted and appreciate true talent. I have found Linda Eder to be such a talent when I saw her at our State Theatre here in Easton, Pennsylvania. I am glad Linda and Clay have become friends.

Doreen O'Boyle from Pennsylvania writes…

I was at the PBS taping. The moment I realized Linda was in the theatre and would be joining Clay on stage, I was overcome with emotion. I had been a fan of Linda's since I saw her on "Star Search" and dreamed of Clay dueting with her. I knew before either singer sang a note that something magical was about to happen, and it did. Two amazing vocalists created a moment I will never forget. "Crying" needs to be released as a single for everyone to hear. It will be the first song I listen to when I purchase Clay's new CD, TRIED & TRUE.

Emily Patrick from Ohio writes…

I first heard of Linda Eder by way of a Clay Aiken post awhile ago. Clay said if we ever got the chance to hear Linda in person... don't miss it. Linda then showed up at our "Picnic with the Pops" outdoor symphony program here in Columbus, Ohio last summer. I talked up the show to my friends and five of us went to hear her perform. It was wonderful! She told how the flight she was scheduled to take from New York was cancelled, and she drove all the way to Columbus alone in the rain. She spoke of her dear son and left us with a warm and happy feeling. I do watch her performances on youtube. I drove to Raleigh to watch the taping of TRIED & TRUE in March and was thrilled to hear Clay introduce Linda. They were magic together. I can hardly wait for June 1 and the release of the album.

Roseann Rizzo from New Jersey writes…

One word describes Clay and Linda singing... heavenly!

Nancy Roseen from Rhode Island writes…

I was so excited to attend the taping of Clay Aiken's PBS special on March 12, 2010 in Raleigh, North Carolina! I had heard that Clay would be singing a duet with someone, but I didn't know who it would be. We've obviously all heard Linda Eder's beautiful voice, but we were excited and surprised when Clay introduced her at the taping. Clay commented that everyone involved in putting this all together was trying to think of the perfect person for this duet. He said that all their lists included one name in particular, Linda Eder, so the decision was clear. If Linda would agree to do it, she was their choice. I had never heard Linda Eder live, but from the moment she opened her mouth to sing, I knew right away that we were all in for a real treat. As the song, "Crying," progressed, their voices rose to the occasion, and Linda's voice (in my opinion) could not have been a more perfect match for a duet like this with Clay. I think that when people hear it for themselves on the PBS special, they will be thrilled and amazed at how their voices complement one another. I personally was blown away, and I got the feeling I wasn't alone. I just can't wait for EVERYONE to hear this masterpiece!

Bonnie Rugar from North Carolina writes…

I understand you are interested in hearing from people who attended the March 12 PBS taping of the TRIED & TRUE special. I was there and had the thrill of hearing the fabulous duet sung for the first time. "Crying" has been a favorite song of mine for a long time, so I was thrilled to hear that Clay would be singing it. When he announced that Linda Eder would sing with him, I was really looking forward to it. We fans of Clay know that he is wonderful on duets, but when he and Linda sang "Crying," it was the best duet I have ever heard. Two powerful, beautiful voices, neither one trying to outdo the other, both blending their voices so perfectly! What a gift it was, and I can't wait for the release of this CD to hear it again.

Lillian Sawyer from Maryland writes…

I was there the night of the PBS special taping for Clay's TRIED & TRUE CD. I have never in my entire life experienced such a night or a voice such as that night. The duet with Clay and Linda on "Crying" was the very best, and I am eagerly awaiting the release of snippets, the CD and the showing on PBS of this special. "Crying" was, is and will be my very favorite cut. June 1 cannot come soon enough.

Christina Schlaechter from Ohio writes…

OMG is the nickname that the fans have given that incredible show in Raleigh on March 12, and it's appropriate. I was very fortunate to attend the PBS taping and was blown away by not only Clay's incredible vocals, the big band orchestra, and production of the show, but also by the beautiful songs that were chosen and the amazing duet "Crying" with Linda Eder. Their duet was one of a few very exciting highlights of the show. Clay mentioned onstage before the song that a few lists had been made when carefully choosing a vocalist for a duet, and that Linda Eder's name was on all of them. She and Clay performed beautifully, and I cannot tell you how anxious and excited I am waiting for Clay's TRIED & TRUE album to be released, so that I can hear this song, among others, again. I only buy one or two albums a year. Of all Clay's albums, this is the one I have most anticipated.

Deborah Schlee from Massachusetts writes…

I was in the audience the evening that Clay Aiken's PBS Special was taped in Raleigh, North Carolina. After the PBS taping was over, "Crying" is the one song that I couldn't get out of my head and that I wanted to hear again the next morning... the next week... and the next month. I am still anxiously awaiting the release of Clay's album, so that I can finally hear this stunningly beautiful duet once again. Both Linda and Clay have such exquisitely mesmerizing voices. Their hauntingly melodic rendition of "Crying" resonates with the listener long after the song is over. I truly believe that "Crying" will be received by both the public-at-large, and critics alike, as one of the most beautiful songs on Clay's upcoming album, TRIED & TRUE.

Camille Schulte from Washington State writes…

I was at the concert in Raleigh when Clay and Linda did their duet "Crying!" He explained that he had done duets before, and some of the artists he had never even met. This time he wanted to be in the studio at the same time as they both did the recording. As Clay introduced Linda, it occurred to me I had seen him with her before, and I had at Tavern on the Green in New York City. I LOVE that she was the guest performer on that special night for him AND now that they have recorded this amazing duet together, I would LOVE to see an interview with the two of them. I'm such a fan of both!!!

Darla Steinke from Manitoba, Canada writes…

I had to write and tell you how absolutely thrilled I was to first hear Clay say Linda's name, and when she walked out on stage… well, it was the icing on the cake for me. This is what I wrote to one of my friends who wasn't able to attend the concert and who I only know through a Clay site, starting with when Clay first mentions Linda's name.

OMG! It was fabulous and so was Clay, of course. I didn't want it to ever end and the surprise of Linda Eder singing... well, you have no idea what a shocker and a surprise that was for me and what it meant to me as well. My heart almost fell out of my body. I have been a fan of Linda Eder for what seems like forever. I first heard her name mentioned many years ago by Kathie Lee on "Regis & Kathie Lee." She talked about her all the time and what a fabulous singer she was and when she was finally on the show, I was mesmerized by her voice and I've loved her ever since. I have many of her CDs, and since I got my computer I have a ton of her music. She's awesome.

So were you to have asked me who besides Clay would I want to see most in concert, Linda Eder would have been my answer, honest to God. I swear that's true. So when he said her name, I nearly had a coronary. And when she actually walked out, I burst into tears and cried, very appropriately through the entire "Crying" song. It was an unbelievable moment for me to see the two singers I love the most in this world together singing. Amazing!! I can still almost feel that feeling again just writing about it here. I still find it hard to believe that she was there with Clay, and I'm so, so glad that duet is on the CD. I tell you, it was the shock of my life. She is a beautiful singer! I know you don't know who she is, but she is going to have lots more fans once the CD is released and they hear her beautiful voice. My very favorite Christmas Carol is sung by Linda, "The Bells Of St. Paul." It's so lovely.

I had never seen Linda live and have always wanted to, but with living in Canada it's pretty expensive to travel to New York to see a Broadway Show as I know that's what she does a lot of. I was able to fly to Raleigh with my air miles. I have a wonderful "Clay friend" who lives in Pittsboro, North Carolina. I stayed with her and I'm eternally grateful to her for letting me stay this time. To see Linda live was a dream come true for me.

Bobbi Thornton from Wisconsin writes…

I was at the PBS taping and the show from start to finish was just awesome. Particularly, the duet Clay did with Linda, "Crying," was one of the highlights of the show and one of the crowd favorites. I'm hoping they can record together again sometime in the future as their voices complemented one another's.

Sue Wakefield from California writes…

I was at the taping of the PBS Special for Clay Aiken's new CD. When he introduced his duet and started talking about looking for someone to duet with, everyone's curiosity was peaked. Who could sing with that voice - the power and the control! Whose voice could blend with Clay's so that they sounded like one, and yet each individual would stand out on their own. Clay said there were three lists when they were trying to decide, and the person chosen was on all three - Linda Eder! I've been listening to Linda for years and wore out my GOLD CD. I have the original cast recording of JEKYLL & HYDE. I've listened to her Broadway CDs over and over! I know Linda's voice and the thought of her singing with Clay gave me chills. When they started singing, I knew Clay had chosen the perfect singer. Their voices blended… their voices soared, and there were a few seconds when the last notes died out that you could have heard a pin drop in the auditorium. Well done, Linda! Well done, Clay!

Terri Ward from New Jersey writes…

Last year, I attended Linda Eder's concert at Count Basie Theatre in Red Bank, New Jersey. It was one of the most memorable concerts I have ever attended. To hear that Linda and Clay Aiken will be singing a duet on the coming TRIED & TRUE CD is more than exciting. Together these beautiful voices will be magic.

Linda Werner from New Jersey writes…

I was at the taping and was blown away by two of the most fabulous voices in the business. What a treat to hear them sing together. It's a performance that is not to be missed.

Kay Williams from Florida writes…

I first became aware of Linda Eder in January, 2006 when I was searching for just the right version of "Zing Went The Strings Of My Heart" to use in a Clay Aiken montage that I wanted to make. Linda's version was perfect and just what I was looking for. When Clay introduced Linda at the PBS taping in Raleigh, I knew we were in for a treat. And we certainly were! I have never heard "Crying" sung more beautifully. Linda's and Clay's voices were wonderful together, intertwining and blending into musical notes that had not even existed before. Linda's fans, as well as Clay's fans, and those who are unfamiliar with either singer, will be thrilled when they finally hear this amazing duet. I can't wait to hear it again.

Brenda from North Carolina writes…

I reside in North Carolina, but unfortunately was not able to attend the PBS taping in Raleigh. The wonderful comments left on the Clay Aiken fan board regarding Linda perked my interest!

I Googled and listened to her perform on several YouTube videos and must say I was very impressed! I love the emotion she puts into her singing, and her powerful voice that is so controlled! I cannot wait for the release of Clay Aiken's new CD, TRIED & TRUE and look forward to hearing "Crying," the duet Linda sings with Clay!

Cori from Massachusetts writes…

My friends and I drove from New England to attend Clay Aiken's PBS taping in March. I've seen Clay in concert many, many times, but I don't think he has ever sounded better. I wasn't sure if I would like the music for this album as that era is not one of my favorites. But the new arrangements and Clay's vocal interpretation of them changed my mind completely. The whole evening was amazing and in my phone recap to friends who could not attend, I described the duet with Linda Eder as simply phenomenal. I had never heard Linda sing before, and I was so happy that he was dueting with someone who was so talented and who blended so beautifully with his voice. They sang a duet of "Crying" that made it my second favorite song of the night. He hit notes that sounded like they were just invented. Her voice was as smooth as maple syrup on a cinnamon pancake. My best to Linda and her fans.

Marianne from North Carolina writes…

I was at the PBS taping in March. When Clay began the introduction for "Crying" and said Linda Eder, I had no idea who she was. I certainly do now. Not only did their voices blend beautifully but instead of singing with each other, they sang to each other. For a few minute, those two had me believing they really had been a couple that broke up. I've only seen this happen one other time, and that was years ago during a live performance by Barbra Streisand and Kenny Rogers when they sang "You Don't Bring Me Flowers." Clay has sung duets with other talented singers over the years. "Crying" with Linda is by far the best. I can't wait for the TRIED & TRUE album release so I can hear this again. You will love it.

Sharon from North Carolina writes…

First off, I would like to tell you that I have been a huge fan of Linda's since 1988 when I saw her on "Star Search." I found her captivating from that moment and still do to this day. I own every piece of music that she has ever recorded and still believe she is THE best female voice out there today, hands-down.

Moving on to 2003, my husband and I decided to watch "American Idol." Not because it was something we wanted to watch, but it was a release from all the news of war, terrorist attacks and the problems our country was facing at that time. So we tuned in to watch the auditions, and the night that we happened to tune in was the night that Clay Aiken auditioned. From the moment he opened his mouth and the word "take" came out of it, I was hooked. I've been a fan of his ever since with no signs of stopping anytime in the near future. During that season of "American Idol" and as the weeks went on, every time Clay sang, I kept saying that a dream of mine would be to hear him sing with my favorite female artist - Linda.

I was very fortunate to see the taping of Clay's upcoming PBS special in Raleigh. I have seen Clay perform live many times (as a matter of fact, I normally plead the 5th when I'm asked how many times), and his voice has always been stellar, but on March 12th, I saw a man that not only do I support fully, but I saw a man that was singing in a way that I've never heard before. It was pure perfection. No other way to describe it. As a matter of fact, the only words that were heard around the theater after the show was over were "Oh, My God." Well, those words were never more true to me than when Clay was talking about a song that he recorded with one of the best female voices out there today, and this person was the main aspect why JEKYLL & HYDE was given the reviews that it received. Well, as my friend sitting next to me said, my reaction was the "gasp heard around the world." He said Linda's name, and I honestly didn't know how to react. I do know that I didn't breathe for the next few minutes, and then tears of happiness formed. Linda walked out and the sounds that came out of their mouths were like something I hadn't heard in years. The song "Crying," always a favorite of mine, was put in a realm that can't be compared. Linda and Clay sang together like they had been doing it for years. The song was absolutely gorgeous, and it will be the very first one I listen to when I get my hands on Clay's new CD on June 1st. I would love to see them collaborate again in the future because I do think that Linda is the best female voice out there, and I feel the same way about Clay being the best male voice out there today. Both sing with crystal clarity, incredible range and a natural ability to make the listener feel what they are singing. After so many years of being "overlooked" by his previous label, it's great to see Clay now so happy, singing songs he loves, and sharing the stage with someone that I have a lot of respect for and have been a fan of for 22 years. I look forward to reading the next edition of THE VOICE.

Sylvia from Kenya, Africa writes…

I am very happy to be able to share what I feel about Clay Aiken's new CD. I live in Kenya, Africa, so I did not have a chance to attend the PBS taping, but from the wonderful reviews I have received from everyone who was there, the concert was out of this world. I also love Linda Eder's beautiful voice. She's wonderful and very talented. I am waiting very eagerly for the release of the CD and the PBS taping DVD. It might take me two months to get the DVD but I'll get it.

Nice to see so many people (I recognize quite a few of those names!) showing the love to Linda. Their performance of Crying is probably my most vivid memory from the PBS taping. I don't count today's song, Unchained Melody, in that equation because I'm a victim of the Aiken fog when it comes to that one. I have my feelings (which are both strong and forever) but the specific memory of the song is too wrapped up in the emotion of it all to really say I remember it. I hope the DVD will help with that! I think I've said enough about it over the past three-plus months that reviewing it again would be redundant. So I won't! :-P

I see only 3 of us have indicated we're going to the Chicago concert in the concert thread. Is that all there is?

Unchained Melody...I have loved Clay singing this song since I heard him on the Demos..through AI, with David Foster. After the PBS taping when everyone was talking about the "note" I had a hard time wrapping my mind around it...it seemed like it was very hard for people to describe what he was doing so I was very excited to hear it for the first time. At first, I didn't like it...the song started out as usual and it seemed like just as I was getting into it...he stopped singing...took a breath and then proceeded with the rest of the song. I felt like there wasn't a really good flow to the song. It taken me numerous listens and his View performance to really start appreciating the song.

It's Impossible - There is so much to love about this track, not the least of which is that the acronym II makes me think of IIT... fun times! But back to the song.... I've always liked it, but never as much as the way Clay sings it, which is sublime. The opening is breathtakingly tender, with each word having a little catch. I love it.

Unchained Melody - I don't like the slide. Seriously. I know so many love it, and I've tried, but I just don't, no matter how many times I listen and I've listened incessantly. Seems like a trick to get from one part of the song to another just to show off what he can do. I realize that is my own take and not likely the intention of the arrangement, but it's how I react to it. The two parts of the song don't seem all that connected sonically (TM Clay) to my ear. However, I love what comes before it, and Clay sounds so fabulous on the second part that a few seconds after being jarred by the slide, I'm over it, and enjoy the rest of the song immensely. The guy can just flat out sing. Anything.

Hello, FCA! :hello:

What a wonderful read the last few pages have been! Thank you for catching me up.

I've been off the boards/my computer since 11 a.m. when I hopped into the shower to get ready for my afternoon academy music lessons. With no warning, my left knee or ankle gave way, and I fell. Long story short, my ankle was so sprained that I could barely use it for pushing up. For an hour and a half, I tried several different positions to get up. Finally I was able to get on my knees and pull myself up to the side of the tub. I thought I was going to be in that tub forever.

I called my sister for a ride, made a doctor's appointment, and canceled my lessons. My ankle is bound, and I have been through several sessions of frozen corn on the knee and the ankle, both of which are swollen and all shades of blue/purple.

My den looks like a retirement home with a walker (from a broken leg 15 years ago), my mother's cane, and a wheel chair my BIL brought over from his church. I have only used one at a time. :cryingwlaughter:

Thnx again for the great catch-up from the Linda Eder site, as well as your "Unchained Melody" critiques. I'll try to get back in the groove tomorrow.

Have a great evening, all! :wub:

Caro :listen:

So are all the tickets sold out for the Chicago concert or is there a way to still donate and get a ticket.

Well I'm reading again since I'm taking the train and today I pulled out one of my favorite books that I seem to read every 4 or 5 years or so, One Hundred Years of Solitude. And when I was getting off the train I noticed something sticking out of the pages. I opened up the book and I saw a concert ticket from Portsmouth - July 20, 2004. LOL Memories. I remember some drunk girls being loud all through the concert and then one of them finally fell on her ass spilling her beer all over herself. She was quiet after that.

I'm so looking forward to Reno. First show seems to be a maybe once again. But I'm excited to finally see Clay in a concert again. It seems like its been forever.

Couchie, there are still tickets available for the Chicago concert. You can call the same number as before but it's only certain hours through the week and I can't remember what they are.

I've missed some of the songs so will go back to them later but wanted to talk about UM. I love that song, and I have heard several great versions of it. I'm not one who only likes the original, although sometimes I may have to hear a version a couple of times to appreciate it. Some I may never appreciate, like Justin Guarini's version. Anyway, back to UM and Clay. I have always loved Clay singing this song and probably my favorite performance prior to the OMG concert was from the JBT. I think Toledo with the zoo.

Now to the new version. When I heard it in Raleigh, I could not believe what I was hearing. With the lights and the instruments all working in perfect harmony with Clay's vocals, it was amazing. I love the glide and I don't care if it's there just to showcase Clay's voice or not, it works for me. And there are probably very few singers out there that can do that. From the way that it's been described to me, it seems amazing the amount of control that it takes to go up one step at a time like that. And then it's just this wall of sound. I am so in love with this version, however I'll never get tired of that falsetto in his other version, so I am happily good either way.

Caro, I sympathize with you. I've had a sprained ankle before and it was not fun. Thankfully I had people around at the time to help me up, although that didn't help the pride any. I fell down a step. Just one. And this was right after our daughter's friend had gotten off one of those things that drop you from a tall platform. She was fine. I fall on a step and sprain my ankle.

Couchie, I think there will still be tickets for Chicago -- there are still some now, and I think probably most everyone who knew about it and planned or decided to go already has theirs. Pink Armchair posted at CH: "There are tickets left. You can call (773) 509-1111 and press option 6 anytime during business hours." Bummer about the first concert, but a miracle could still happen....

I have always loved Clay's Unchained Melody, from the moment he sang it on Idol and on the demo, then on the Jukebox Tour, and then singing it with David Foster. I have a "Clay - UM" playlist on my iPod, and I love how it evolves and just keeps getting better and better over the years. At first I didn't love "the note" in this new version because it deprived me of the way he'd done it before, which I loved, but I was also impressed with the vocal strength of it at the taping and his performance on the View was amazing so it is growing on me. The arrangement for this is traditional "easy listening," with lots of strings and very light on the horns. The piano accompaniment is somewhat like what David Foster did with Clay, and the guitar also plays yet another counterpoint on this one. There are also two "moments" without any music, just voice, as demonstrated by David and Clay at his Canadian Gala. I can't hear them in this without thinking of that and laughing as I remember how cute they were together that night. Like kf, I'm all about the accent. In addition to "darlin'" there's Ah instead of I. I especially like at the end, last chorus, when he sings "Ah...ah need your love" with the second one sounding just a wee bit more like I. All of which sounds very analytical, when the truth is Clay Aiken just owns me with this song. :flirtysmile3:

Catching up with It's Only Make Believe. This is a very jazzy arrangement, with the bass line at the beginning and the orchestra bit at the end being absolutely classic. This is so Jesse Vargas, and I always love his arrangements. The song is upbeat and almost happy, even though the idea of it being "only make believe" is sad. Love the brass on this one, and I think it's very danceable, so the claps are perfect. (Pftttt to the reviewer who said otherwise.) I was listening to the classical station on my radio right after that and heard an arrangement of Strauss waltzes just full of clapping. This would be another great song for dancers on stage, or for Clay to perform on DWTS. I love the way he says "how" on this. I remember as a freshman taking speech class and being completely done in by that word, so, like I said, kf, I am so with you on this natural accent.

Yes, I'm up. Hate that. I've got too much on my plate for tomorrow (today at this point) to be not sleeping! However, I think the adrenaline kicked in when we discovered the the zipper was broken on our big suitcase, and so husband and I have to go out and find a suitcase before we leave on Thursday for our trip!

I feel terrible that I'm behind on the Song of the Day. Maybe in a month for me, when I can "live" with the songs a bit more...

This one is about AI. OTOH, I'm now going to go to bed dreaming of him saying something I've want to hear from him to say to me personally for many years...

"Do with me what you will."

Is "duplicatable" even a word? cryingwlaughter.gif

I'm with cindilu2 in that I've said enough about UM since Raleigh that I probably don't need to say much more. I will say that I am still literally blown back in my chair when he does the airplane note though. I can't wait to see the full performance on the DVD!