#58: The man is made of awesome!

Thread Title  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• Clay Aiken can still curl my toes
    • Clay Aiken = happy sigh
    • I'm a satisfied Clay fan
    • He's still beautiful, sings beautifully and he's still OURS
    • He's made of awesome wrapped in fabulous with a little more awesome sprinkled on top!!
    • Forget life -- It's Clay time!

I'm glad to see Clay (and Lauren) doing some local promotion for the Bringing Broadway Home show. I hope that Raleigh-ites get out and support it - not just because of Clay, but because it's their community. There were still some pretty great seats left as of the weekend (when last I looked). My NC friend is going with her daughter, who hasn't seen Clay since the IT - looking forward to see what her reaction is.

Crying. Though It's Impossible and What Kind Of Fool Am I are my 'favorites', I think that for me, Clay's voice has never sounded more beautiful than it does on Crying. He makes sounds I've never heard before and they are simply incredible. Like so many of the songs he's sung, this one has been on my playlist for years (Roy's original, and the Roy/kd duet both). Side note: it really is amazing how many songs he's done that applies to for me... BOTW was my all-time favorite song before Clay came along.

Anyway, where was I? LOL! I love the opening of this song - that half a beat where it's only The Voice (and how ironic is it that that is the name of Linda's newsletter?). It tells me right off that bat that I'm about to hear something special, and it doesn't disappoint. I can't even describe what his last few 'Cryin's' do to me, but it involves goosebumps and hairs standing up on the back of my neck. Incredible! I think his and Linda's voices go well together - there were a couple moments in the live performance where I wasn't sure which one of them was singing (too far away to see their faces). I love everything about this song - not one thing I would change. Perfection.

:GA_FCA:

Whoever said soreness is worse the second and third day was definitely correct. I am a walking bruise, some in places I haven't felt until now. :cryingwlaughter:

Thank you to all who have sympathized with the fall, as well as dropped by the Carolina blog, even in its reduced form. :flirtysmile3:

claylove, I wish I had my OFC blogs from the original conversion (July 2005 - July 2006). All the entries since July 2006 are at the Carolina site. I do know lots of people who didn't save copies of their blogs and are counting on the "migration." Thnx for your concern.

Have a great trip, Idyj! :yahoo:

Everyone, have a super week! :snoopy:

Caro :listen:

I don't even know if there's anything I can say about Crying. Clay sings the cake out of it and Linda frosts the cake. Fortunately, nobody left it out in the rain! It's so different from every other version I've heard of this song, the key changes, the harmonies, and whole arrangement is new, and it took a couple of listens to not be jarred by the originality of it, but now I'm home.

One last thing before I leave Suspicious Minds. For years and years, I've been completely in love with the last 20 bars of With Or Without You by U2. After Bono does his final incantation and The Edge kicks in and the simple riff repeats to the end ... it's been one of my favorite 30-seconds in music. It's not complicated, there's no analytical reason for it, the other parts of the song do nothing for me, but that ending slays me, and I don't know or care why. I'm feeling that way now about the ending of Suspicious Minds. I don't think I can analyze it because it just hits me, like those last 20 bars of With Or Without You. And I love it more with every listen. I could never skip it because I wait in eager anticipation for that ending. Everything about it is perfect. It carries the whole song for me.

And, Kim, no, you're not alone. I don't skip Clay. Actually there was one song I occasionally skipped on ATDW, but I'll not disclose it for fear of being tarred and feathered. Once in a while I skipped Grace of God on OMWH. But so far on Tried & True I love it all and I love it in sequence. There's a few that I find weaker than others in certain ways, but then there's compensation in other areas on those cuts that make them essential. I've got more to say about that later, especially when we get to A Kind of Hush. This album is a unified, finished masterpiece in every regard. It really defies analytics, but that's never stopped me before.

Loving everyone's thoughts about the songs..I will post my thoughts on Crying when I have a little more time.

Anyone having trouble getting into CV?

Kim

I wub him!!!

Another Interview

Clay will be on The Insider tonight

clayaiken Catch Clay's segment on The Insider TONIGHT! Check your local listings at http://theinsider.com for station and time info

M&G Info

clayaiken Meet & Greet sweepstakes are now open for entries for Clay's OFC members. Log in on www.clayaiken.com for your chance to win one!

Signed up for M&G sweepstakes! wow if I should win one! but if not that's ok going to see him at 3 concerts, not something I would have ever thought I would do in March 2008 when I saw him for the very first time live at Spamalot and all this adventure first began!! :cryingwlaughter:

Is he blond again?!! *runs off to watch* Okay, so not blond, but lighter red?

They thought about taping the special in Toronto? *sob*

Oh my - his Spamalot story makes me teary. I was there that night - not the Friday, but the Tuesday & Wednesday when the People cover got leaked. So all that 'louder than ever' was at least in part my friend and I. Two nights I'll never forget. I'm thinking he must be remembering the weekend stage door though, because sadly, he never came out (and we were actually glad of it). We did get two very distinct waves from him on the stage though (had terrific third row seats), so he did know that we were there.

Gosh I love him. And no, Clay, I don't understand it either dude. What can I say? You're magical.

Awww, cute interview. They considered Toronto for the PBS taping? :o That would have been super cool, but in hindsight, I'm glad they had it in Raleigh.

*waves to cindilu2, who was at Spamalot on that fateful night in 2008 and showed our man the love*

Oh my - his Spamalot story makes me teary. I was there that night - not the Friday, but the Tuesday & Wednesday when the People cover got leaked. So all that 'louder than ever' was at least in part my friend and I. Two nights I'll never forget. I'm thinking he must be remembering the weekend stage door though, because sadly, he never came out (and we were actually glad of it). We did get two very distinct waves from him on the stage though (had terrific third row seats), so he did know that we were there.

Lilyshine and I were there too, in the balcony, also making "louder than ever' noise. I'm glad to hear he felt the love.

Here are a few caps from video that was shown on The Insider - some different angles than the online video, which was more static.

Kind of blurry, but I could see the ubiquitous iPad bag in the background.

Insider8.jpg

The other profile

Insider9.jpg

Insider10.jpg

On the move

Insider11.jpg

Insider12.jpg

I lurrrves him in brown :flirtysmile3:

Thanks, bottlecap.

Indeed. :wub:

A glimpse of Clay on WRAL 10 PM news tonight (FOX 50). I never have figured out exactly how that works, but there's a CBS WRAL and a FOX WRAL on different channels but they share local news, have for the longest time. There's an 10 pm newscast on one station, and one at 11 pm (also live) on the other. So he'll probably show up again. I should change the channel I guess.

Anyway, there was a gawd awful picture from his post-surgery days, not the worst, but he just looks awful, on the screen while the anchor talked about Clay and the usual topics briefly, but then they interviewed him from outside Memorial Auditorium, just a quickie, he talked about seeing his first show there, and realizing you could get paid to perform. Big River? I think they might've shown bits from the PBS show, not sure, the appearances are starting to all blending together, but he looked hawt. :flirtysmile3:

ETA: It was on again the other station. Fairly short, mentioned only the Bringing Broadway Home show, same picture and interview clip. I don't think the anchor talked as long, but I could be completely wrong. Name of show, time and place on the screen at the end, ticket prices, 50% tax deduction. None of the other performers were named, just Clay.

Quick post about Crying before I fall over on my computer.

I am insanely crazy about this version. It would be fantastic in a movie. They are both singing with such emotion and with such great voices. After UM and the sliding note , this was my WOW moment from the taping. I rarely find anything wrong with Clay's voice, so sue me.

Couchie, so glad you are going to Chicago. I wish I could join you there but no plans of that right now. Of course, I also wasn't planning on going to the Broadway thing in Raleigh on Monday, but that's what I'm doing. Bought my ticket today. How can I resist that face? He's just so adorable. And he sings good too.

Aikim, there are only two songs of Clay's that I skip, although I have to have them because they are his. They are Blood Will Never Lose It's Power (absolutely hate that song) and A Thousand Days. I will listen to that one but I've been known to skip it. Just can't get past those spinning balls.

I love Clay singing Elvis songs and SM is no exception. It took me a couple of listens to get used to the new ending but now I really enjoy it. I'm really hoping that one day Clay will sing my favorite Elvis song and that was If I Can Dream. He would kill on that one.

Crying is my favorite song on the cd. I also loved the Roy and the Roy/k.d.lang versions and have them on my mp3 player. But Clay's version is extraordinary. Normally, I don't like songs that keep repeating lines or words, but this song is the exception because it adds emphasis to what they are feeling. I love how he starts out low, and how his voice seems to catch at one place. And then when he goes up high. Oh my. And Linda is perfect on this song. I just cannot express how much I love this song.

And :yeahthat to what Fear just said.

I was waiting for claylove to read her PM but I'm suffering from whiplash. I was so happy last night about Chicago and this morning had a wonderful roomie all lined up. And then I go to work and find out that the one day off the purchaser has in October is the 15th. I'm his only backup. I want to cry and hurt someone. Even a Laker win isn't helping me tonight.

JustClay - As a PK, The Blood was our go to choir song LOL. It's one of my favorite songs. I like Clay's version although I have a very soft spot for the full choir version that I listened to a lot growing up.

Cryin' and Suspicious Minds are my favorite songs on the CD. I've played both on repeat for hours. I third that movie idea.

Crying is one of my most favorite songs on the album. I remember after the taping saying that I would never have believed after two iconic interpretations (Orbison and Lang) which I adore, that Clay could own this song, but he does. Honestly, I would love to hear him do it all alone, but the duet is also gorgeous. Her voice is perfectly suited to his. For once it isn't a yelling match (which he can do a hell of a job at too). She was a generous partner who let him shine instead of trying to drown him out. They both have clear, pure tones, and they sound wonderful together. At the taping Clay produced some sounds that were just otherworldly. I get that most on the recording with the high "crying" series that he does about mid-way and at the end, but I do think the live version was even better. Whether a recording could capture that, I don't know. Guess we'll see.

Is there an arrangement on this one? :cryingwlaughter: The vocals are just so amazing they overshadow the arrangement, as they should. This is one of the most beautiful, simple but profound melodies in all of song.

Some of the harmonies each of them chooses are so interesting, not your standard thirds. Then when they do thirds it's like a resolution, like coming home for a moment, and then it's back to harmonic tension, and back home again. It was interesting to read in the newsletter that they just came up with those on their own, and apparently just before the taping. Who mentioned all the key changes? KF, probably. That was the arranger's doing, but we know Clay loves his key changes.

This song I never want to end, I could play it over and over and over. :flirtysmile3:

Pretties for the new page:

Some screencaps from The Insider Online video:

Insider1.jpg

Insider3.jpg

Insider7.jpg

Thoughtful / pouty

Insider5.jpg

Insider6.jpg

Here are a few caps from video that was shown on The Insider - some different angles than the online video, which was more static.

Kind of blurry, but I could see the ubiquitous iPad bag in the background.

Insider8.jpg

The other profile

Insider9.jpg

Insider10.jpg

On the move

Insider11.jpg

Insider12.jpg

And one more. Since I'm not a morning person, let's pretend it's about 5 or 6 hours from now and I'm ldyj announcing the song of the day, which is

There's a Kind of Hush.

Crying: Everything jmh123 just said.

There's A Kind Of Hush: Another favourite fromt the CD.

Do I skip songs? Occasionally Joy To The World on MCWL since I find it jarring. None from MOAM, ATDW, OMWH, or TnT (which has not left my player since June 1st). Of the demos, the only one I will skip occasionally is Wind Beneath My Wings.

{{{couchie}}}

Caro, hope you are feeling a bit better now! That sounded like a scary fall, and to be all alone and not able to get up must have been terrifying. thbighug-1.gif

:GM_FCA:

Crying is my favorite song on the whole CD and was my favorite performance on the PBS Special..I am just in total awe of the artistry on this song...best thing Clay has ever done.

Hug for Couchie so sorry.

3 Days until Clay is Bringing Broadway Home to NC!:yahoo:

6 Days until Clay is on Popeater!:yahoo:

20 Days until Clay is addressing The Key Club Convention!:yahoo:

35 Days until The Timeless Tour Begins!:09:

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim