#58: The man is made of awesome!

Thread Title  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• Clay Aiken can still curl my toes
    • Clay Aiken = happy sigh
    • I'm a satisfied Clay fan
    • He's still beautiful, sings beautifully and he's still OURS
    • He's made of awesome wrapped in fabulous with a little more awesome sprinkled on top!!
    • Forget life -- It's Clay time!

I haven't posted in ages but I thought you all would be interested in seeing my photos:

Clay & Ruben - Jacksonville

OMG, how did I miss this? Tasapio? Squeeeeeeeeeeee!!!1!!!111 Tasapio!!!! I can't even tell you how many hours I've spent in your smugmug folders. I'm just thrilled to see more of your wonderful work.

The photos have been fantastic - Invisible926, deemer, nofancyclothes...(and if I missed names, please forgive me) you all put the 'professionals' to shame. Thank you so, so, SO much!

I defy anybody to look at this face and not smile.

post-496-128027412317_thumb.jpgpost-496-12802741307_thumb.jpgpost-496-128027413772_thumb.jpg

Quintessential Clay

post-496-128027414613_thumb.jpg

Everybody repeat after me: Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.:flirtysmile3:

post-496-128027415504_thumb.jpg

Why yes, as a matter of fact I am a post-whore. What's it to ya?

luckiest, I know what you mean about the putdowns of JNT05. I liked it. But then I'm just not cool and don't want to be.

Is that what the Christmas of Death comment referred to? Because I was thinking it was the Christmas 2007 tour when people shared their sad stories.

I get you, I get you!! :friends:

Oh dumbass me, JMH! I know we've come from the same places. In fact, I'm pretty sure we've met .... somewhere back on the astral plane.

Your right kf, my tiredness has affected my brain. I had a bad experience on the way home visiting a friend in a nursing home. I feel so very sad for her and don't know what to do. But that's my problem so sorry if I'm misinterpreting things. :smack: That's to myself.

Both of those Christmas tours are equally disliked by many in the fandom, it seems. To me it's sad because they were Clay's vision and...well....how does anyone feel when people make fun of them? Sure, we all have our favourites, or even our dislikes, but I guess I am of the "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" generation. In any case, I enjoyed both tours enough to see multiple shows! Heck, has there ever been a tour where I haven't seen multiple shows? Only the AI tour, I think. And that was because I was resisting temptation until it was too late. cryingwlaughter.gif

I just think it's so awesome that Clay has fashioned another tour after the JBT. It was so much fun, and probably if you took a poll, one of the favourites in the fandom. What's not to like, seriously? I am counting down the days until Windsor. Work just seems to drag! So so happy I have Friday off for my son's birthday, and Monday is a civic holiday. :)

Both of those Christmas tours are equally disliked by many in the fandom, it seems. To me it's sad because they were Clay's vision and...well....how does anyone feel when people make fun of them? Sure, we all have our favourites, or even our dislikes, but I guess I am of the "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" generation. In any case, I enjoyed both tours enough to see multiple shows! Heck, has there ever been a tour where I haven't seen multiple shows? Only the AI tour, I think. And that was because I was resisting temptation until it was too late. :cryingwlaughter:

I'm there with you - maybe it's a Canadian thing :cryingwlaughter:

Of course I'm ridiculously easy when it comes to Clay - if he's singing, I'm listening/buying/traveling, but I honestly loved the JNT05 and while I missed bantering Clay in JNT07 I thought the show was beautiful, professional and amazingly well sung. Plus it gave us the My Grown Up Christmas List (what's the three person equivalent of a duet?? I'm having a brain fart) in Merrilleville.

luckiest, I know what you mean about the putdowns of JNT05. I liked it. But then I'm just not cool and don't want to be.

Is that what the Christmas of Death comment referred to? Because I was thinking it was the Christmas 2007 tour when people shared their sad stories.

I get you, I get you!! :friends:

Oh dumbass me, JMH! I know we've come from the same places. In fact, I'm pretty sure we've met .... somewhere back on the astral plane.

Your right kf, my tiredness has affected my brain. I had a bad experience on the way home visiting a friend in a nursing home. I feel so very sad for her and don't know what to do. But that's my problem so sorry if I'm misinterpreting things. :smack: That's to myself.

I don't know if you misinterpreted anything, Fear. I'm asking the question too, since I saw neither of those Christmas shows. I was just under the impression that the 2007 tour was the one meant by Christmas of Death, because I remember that a lot of people complained at the time that they had spent money for a Christmas show that depressed them, and it was a widely expressed complaint. I didn't see that tour. And I wasn't even on the boards for JN05.One thing I do know from my four years on the message boards, some people are going to love whatever Clay does without question and some people are going to complain about everything Clay does like clockwork. Some people keep it to themselves when they don't like something, while others can't wait to spread the doom, angst, and even hysteria. I think it's impossible for someone to like everything, yet too easy for the critics corner to voice complaints incessantly and with hyperbole. And I don't know why! I like a free flowing conversation and mix of opinions, but really get disgusted with the "same bitch different day" stuff. That's why my comfort zone is here. I don't get those baaaaaad vibes, and don't have to wade through stupid stuff. Thank you, FCA!

:hugs-1:Fear, for going through that nursing home experience. My aunt passed over the weekend. She had been in a nursing home with Alzheimer's for the past 15 years and hadn't known her own children for the past ten. It was a heartbreaking experience for the family, and we're all relieved that Aunt Hazel is finally free.

Cindilu: You mean a trio?

Yeah, I know it's duo/trio, but a duo sings a duet. What does a trio sing???

/headdesk

My background is not in singing, but in classical music:

A soloist is one voice or one instrumentalist performing a solo.

A duo is two voices or two instrumentalists performing a duet.

A trio is three voices or three instrumentalists performing a trio.

A quartet is four voices or four instrumentalists performing a quartet.

e.g., Tchaikovsky's Trio in A minor, Op. 50 for piano, violin, and cello

And that's all I know about that.

/headdesk

My background is not in singing, but in classical music:

A soloist is one voice or one instrumentalist performing a solo.

A duo is two voices or two instrumentalists performing a duet.

A trio is three voices or three instrumentalists performing a trio.

A quartet is four voices or four instrumentalists performing a quartet.

e.g., Tchaikovsky's Trio in A minor, Op. 50 for piano, violin, and cello

And that's all I know about that.

Well cool. I learned something new today. It just seems really weird to type though, doesn't it? I think they need to invent a new word. :cryingwlaughter:

/headdesk

Now this is weird, we were talking about this on the way home. Why a duet, trio, quartet, quintet, sextet. Shouldn't it be a tritet?

We listened to K D Langs latest cd which is a mixture of previously recorded songs, rerecorded songs. I'm not sure any were new. There was also standards some of which I had not heard from her. Since I was driving I didn't read the cover notes. She had Hallelujah on it twice, one version a little different.One cut was a little weird: Tony Bennett talking about how KD is one of the alltime great singers and then singing a standard song with his voice overriding hers. WTH? Seems like quite the mish mosh. Almost like she is taking requests from fans. I absolutely love her voice but she has no variety in it. Every song is sung in the same voice. I love that Clay has different voices for different songs. But is this a negative rather than a positive? Just musing to myself.

Thanks kf, sorry for your aunt, alzheimer's is a terrible illness. My friend is younger than I am and is bipolar, psychotic and very intelligent. She's been that way since her mid thirties. But it just gets worse.

From ncwannabe at CV (She noted in an earlier recap that one of the security guys gave her the setlists):

Here's the set list from the "official papers taped to the floor in Asheville" for the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s:

60s - Midnight Hour, Up on the Roof, Someday We'll be Together, Goin' Out of My Head, Can't Hurry Love, Happy together, Can't Help Myself, Cryin', Soul Man, Wouldn't it Be Nice, Shot Gun, Sugar Sugar, Just One Look, Harper Valley PTA, Ain't too Prould to Beg, Ain't No Mountain High Enough

70s - Night Fever, Ain't No Stopping Us Now, Oh What a Night (1963), Oh Girl, On the Radio, Turn the Beat Around, Sex Machine (Get On Up), Don't Go Breaking My Heart, More Than a Feeling, September

80s - Eye of the Tiger, Rhythm of the Night, Glory of Love, Shout, Africa, Can't Fight this Feeling, Through the Fire, All Night Long, If this is it, Alone, Carribean Queen, Nothing's Gonna Stop Us, Footloose

90s - This is How We do It, Poison, Achy Breaky Heart, The Right Stuff, MMM...Bop, End of the Road, I Swear, I Want it That Way, Remember the Time, You Oughta Know, Jump Around, Baby Got Back, Livin' La Vida Loca, One Sweet Day

So, I think between all of us, we did pretty well in coming up with all the songs in the medleys. The only one we didn't get was "Shot Gun" in the 60s portion.

Love these multi-picture caps that deemer puts together. They're way CUTE! Via CV:

Melbourne_deemer.jpg

bottle.... thanks for bringing the deemer composites! I love them and now have to figure out which one to put on my desktop first. LOL

KAndre... Happy Birthday!!! :bdayparty2::bdayparty2:

(p.s. I made your HB gray as that is the closest I could come to silver bling on this color palette. LOL)

I got my new computer today. I can't use it until they get some files uploaded, but I have a 19" screen and man is it BIG! I put a Timeless Tour pic on it first thing and it looked a little weird, as it is widescreen. I thought I would hate having to learn MS 2007, but I already found a couple of things I think are kinda cool, so maybe I'll not hate it afterall. LOL

Only 2 more days before I get to leave for Reno... I have to pack!!! It's going to be pretty hot there according to weatherbug.com, but the concert is indoors, so I have to think about this. It's important! Ok, not! In Clay's presence, no one is going to give a lick what I'm wearing! LOL

Have we figured out where and when we're all going to meet up??? I get there Friday afternoon, so I can case the place and see what's available. I kinda think after the concert would be the most fun cause we'll all be high and it's fun to share that! I don't have a laptop, tho, so have no way to communicate with everyone. Suggestions???

:dancetom: Can't wait for this weekend :04:

I am so looking forward to meeting some of you!

Wait, that didn't come out right.

Well hell, you know what I mean. I won't get a chance to meet ALL of you but for those of you I will finally get to meet I can't wait!!! hee :hug:

What is the Reno contingent planning to wear to the show? Are we planning a dinner or breakfast for Sunday morning? I'm at a loss for what to pack right now. Help!

Clear_12.jpg

Clear_13.jpg

Jacks_1-1.jpg

I don't know who came up with the stool shtick, but it's a hoot! :cryingwlaughter:

:wub: Absolutely love these goofballs! I wish they'd put a show like this on tv. A weekly variety show like this with Clay at the helm would be fanfuckingtastic! Cheese and all!!! Hey, I like fondue.

Only 4 more sleeps baybay :yahoo:

From ncwannabe at CV (She noted in an earlier recap that one of the security guys gave her the setlists):

Here's the set list from the "official papers taped to the floor in Asheville" for the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s:

60s - Midnight Hour, Up on the Roof, Someday We'll be Together, Goin' Out of My Head, Can't Hurry Love, Happy together, Can't Help Myself, Cryin', Soul Man, Wouldn't it Be Nice, Shot Gun, Sugar Sugar, Just One Look, Harper Valley PTA, Ain't too Prould to Beg, Ain't No Mountain High Enough

70s - Night Fever, Ain't No Stopping Us Now, Oh What a Night (1963), Oh Girl, On the Radio, Turn the Beat Around, Sex Machine (Get On Up), Don't Go Breaking My Heart, More Than a Feeling, September

80s - Eye of the Tiger, Rhythm of the Night, Glory of Love, Shout, Africa, Can't Fight this Feeling, Through the Fire, All Night Long, If this is it, Alone, Carribean Queen, Nothing's Gonna Stop Us, Footloose

90s - This is How We do It, Poison, Achy Breaky Heart, The Right Stuff, MMM...Bop, End of the Road, I Swear, I Want it That Way, Remember the Time, You Oughta Know, Jump Around, Baby Got Back, Livin' La Vida Loca, One Sweet Day

So, I think between all of us, we did pretty well in coming up with all the songs in the medleys. The only one we didn't get was "Shot Gun" in the 60s portion.

Ahhhh - and Through The Fire in the 80's medley. I knew I heard something between Can't Fight This Feeling and All Night Long but couldn't catch it (on the cellcert). I've been a cellcert-whore but am trying to be good about video. One week today and I get to see for myself. In Canada! Squeeee!!!

:GM_FCA:

5 Days until The Premiere of Phineas & Ferb!

:yahoo:

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

Apparently, the Miami TnT tour stop is scheduled for Feb 11, and Cleveland is the 19th....what a wonderful time of year for a road trip! cryingwlaughter.gif

For anyone interested, the Paul McCartney at the White House PBS special is airing tonight on most stations at 8 pm.

I’d almost rather go to the hassle and expense of getting on a plane to Miami than contemplate driving 2 hours across northern Ohio to go to a concert in Cleveland in February. Because it snows in Cleveland in the winter. Like lots.

Yeah, last night we were discussing it and were reminded of that Erie Xmas concert that never was....for us. And the fateful Detroit JNT04 that shouldn't have been, but we made it through closed roads. I also remember driving to Cleveland for the Jingle Ball in 2003 in December! Wheeee, good times! I love concert Clay.

ETA from 03jersey at CV:

Attention (for those in, near, or semi-close to Cleveland or Ohio)

The Palace Theatre already has Clay's February concert announcement up. Tickets go on sale (8/13) after the PBS Special airs on August 2. $10-$75. Sure is a pretty sight.

http://www.playhousesquare.org/default.asp...8&objId=993

The Palace Theatre has 2800 seats.

I'm a realist and know we are not one of the hot spots, but I'm very proud that he has chosen our city to appear in.

M&G recap from susandavis at CV:

My Meet and Greet report from Clearwater:

After waiting in the lobby with the other three attendees while the charity M&G started , we were shown to the Green Room(it actually had green carpeting). biggrin2.gif

Jerome told us to sit down and make ourselves comfortable. We sort of looked at each other because along one wall were a stuffed chair, couch and another stuffed chair. So we lined ourselves up on those seats, the only other two chairs were in one corner and behind the door.

Dowoper was next to me, thank goodness, we sat on the couch and pretended we weren't nervous..........well, actually we were beyond pretending.

Jerome came back in once and then Cheryl came in with the camera. She was nice and friendly. Soon we saw the charity group go past us to leave and a few minutes later Clay breezed in. He stopped and looked at us all lined up there and said, "You all look so formal". We giggled..........I am telling you we were experts at this. hysterical.gif

Well, shit.............I posted this mess by mistake. Hang on........I am just getting started.

He stopped and shook each of our hands and asked our names, pulled up a chair and sat right in front of Dowoper and I. Yahoo.gif He asked where we were from, I think when he got to the last girl who was from Sarasota he said "We are going to be in Sarasota in Feb. He went on to say Sarasota, Orlando and Miami. Big mouth that I am I asked "Kansas City?" " No" I accused him of not liking us and that is when he said St Louis and Chicago and then added that he wasn't sure but thought they were on board. Someone else asked if the tour would be regional and he said "No, Coast to Coast" Boss.gif He asked if I was coming to Hammond.

Next he asked if we had any questions and there was dead silence. hysterical.gif More giggling. I am telling you we were eloquent. Someone asked if he was putting out another cd soon??????? blink.gif And if he was what kind of music would it be. blink.gif He made a point of saying that nothing is in the works or decided but that he wants to do a Christmas CD. Same person asked if it wasn't Christmas what kind of music would it be. blink.gif His response was adult that he just didn't want to do pop. She then asked if he ever thought about recording a song(I think it was called Always) and he pondered it and then......................... SANG a line from a song, lovely spot on and spontaneous. I about fainted. She told him that wasn't the song and then the person at the other end told Clay she knew the group who had recorded what he was singing(I have no memory of the group-I am senile) and he SANG another line from the song. All my nervousness was worth those two lines. bananajive.gif Then the first person held out her cellphone and played the song she was talking about. blink.gif He listened to a very few notes and said, "You aren't selling me". giggle.gif

He then took our items to sign and chatted while he did that. We talked about the yellow shirt, no big story, they just wanted something oversized and that is what they got.

He told us we were so calm...........translated, you are the most boring M&G group ever. A little more idle chit chat....translated I am senile and don't remember but it wasn't newsworthy or I would remember.

We took pictures and then got a hug, he thanked us for coming and out he went.

Jerome came to get us and asked us to post on the boards and spread the word at the concerts about flash cameras. They had been so bad in Melbourne and he was getting close to banning them. I piped up and told him I didn't think these were fans that are on line, we have learned this. He agreed but said we have to tell people sitting around us. It was better that night but still a few. He commented on how calm we were, too. I said, "Do people really come in here and act crazy?" I really wanted to know and he said that almost every night there is at least one in every group. hysterical.gif

So that is it...............the most boring M&G group ever. crazyface.gif

An aside about his attire: After I got my picture taken and was watching the last ones I suddenly looked at him and just about burst out laughing. This was my first and probably last time to have my picture taken with him and he had on those beige converse shoes with no laces and they are getting a little worn, the oldest pair of cargo shorts in his closet, a white undershirt that was big, and the pinkish polo that he had on in the bus pictures from Melbourne...........white undershirt hanging out the bottom and sleeves. I guarantee you he hadn't combed his hair, it was bad bed hair. I just about split a gut. It was just so 'Clay'. Before anyone says that they wouldn't care what he had on and would be happy to be there, rest assured I was delighted but it sure did make me laugh. rofl_2.gif

I was just looking at the schedule of my local PBS station for next week, and the show that they having running right before Clay’s is something about 70s music with Marvin Hamlish. That doesn’t necessarily sound like my cup of tea, but it does fit in with the kind of stuff the local station seems to like to run during their pledge drives. So presumably, the classic and retro music shows play well with the pledging audience here, which I hope bodes good things for the success of TnT. (Clay should have gotten Andre Rieu to conduct for him – my mom probably would sign her pension over the PBS if he did that. LOL!)

I’ll definitely be calling in for the 10:00pm show, unless I decide to pledge online when the show initially airs for some unknown reason at 1:00pm when I’m at work. Which reminds me – my company will match my donation to PBS, as I’m sure many other employers will.

Well I is confuzzled! I have been looking through the TV listings of the SF and Sac. CA area for the PBS special which is supposedly set to air early next week and.....nothing "Clay" is listed. What's up with that? Anyone else in this area seeing it? Am I missing something? Even when I check TV Guide on-line....nothing :cry4:

Well I is confuzzled! I have been looking through the TV listings of the SF and Sac. CA area for the PBS special which is supposedly set to air early next week and.....nothing "Clay" is listed. What's up with that? Anyone else in this area seeing it? Am I missing something? Even when I check TV Guide on-line....nothing :cry4:

SF & Sac are different PBS channels. KVIE in Sac/Stockton is airing Aug 6&7.