#58: The man is made of awesome!

Thread Title  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• Clay Aiken can still curl my toes
    • Clay Aiken = happy sigh
    • I'm a satisfied Clay fan
    • He's still beautiful, sings beautifully and he's still OURS
    • He's made of awesome wrapped in fabulous with a little more awesome sprinkled on top!!
    • Forget life -- It's Clay time!

weeeeeeeee I notice that my Clay cartoon has taped. 1 1/2 hours to the special. Things are good.

Claylove. Sorry I missed you. I definitely understand though. Fortunately my mom was able to hang tough. She's floating these days anyway since she has a boyfriend LOL. LdyJ, Treenuts, and KF got all the details -- over and over and over heee.

I did not eat the pizza. My Alex ate a slice yesterday and she and Tyler demolished the rest today...and also the California rolls ya'll didn't eat. OMG I starved KeepingFaith. Who doesn't eat carbs?

I'd like to go on record that I do not lose things.. I just question myself about where I put them...but they always turn up safe and sound right where I put them LOL.

Fear -- yes I'll be hanging out a lot more. Forget life -- It's Clay time!

JennaZ! Miss you girl. I often think about you. Hope we can chat one of these days --just to catch up with each other.

KF..so glad you made your flight. That was CLOSE!!

Totally forgot about Phineas and Ferb tonight! Sigh. Oh well...I'm gonna download the song from iTunes tomorrow.

Hey, we're getting close to a new thread, and we've only got two suggestions for a thread title. Any one got anything?

I mentioned that I watched the DVD earlier today. Two things about it: 1) When Ruben came on stage, I love the two shots of Clay watching his friend sing from behind the scenes. His face just shows his love for old Rube. 2) I have to admit it...at the end of the DVD, I shed a tear of happiness. I'm so proud of Clay and his work. He's come so far in these 7 years since we've known him. He's grown and changed, and so have we as his fans. I totally believe that he's happy with his life and his career, and I've been blessed to know him.

I almost always wanted no one else to know about Clay! It's like he has been our delicious secret! Up until now it has seemed that we were the only ones to know how good he really is and now the secret is out. Ah well there go the front row seats*g*

I too welled up at the thought he has become a happy man, with his life and career.

Thank you all for the warm welcome back! Good to see all those familiar names!

Yes, I really did love the concert. It was incredibly entertaining, and far funnier than I expected it to be. I guess I had forgotten how hilarious Clay could be, and I really had no idea Ruben had that in him as well. They really do compliment each other perfectly. It was kind of different watching a concert without knowing everything about it beforehand, but I think that just made the experience that much more refreshing.

bc at the taping I couldn't see Clay very well as I sat pretty far back, but his voice had me almost jumping up and down. I couldn't sit still. We won't get it here until 9/11 and no NC concert. :badpc: Looking forward to seeing it and telling my friends to watch also.

JennaZ I think your experience is liking seeing the first show on a tour. Always a delightful surprise.

Hi Jenna! Actually I kind of did know most of the parts of the show, but hadn't seen the "connective tissue" and a few of the solos. But I now believe that watching clack will not spoil this show at all. It has an element of improv and a joy that just can't be seen in clack. The live sound is spectacular and watching the band is another element lost to clack. I think this show is totally gestalt, the whole equals more than the sum of its parts. And while the parts are excellent, the macro thing is a whole other level. Is there anything in this world cuter than Clay doing the moves to Jump Around? I just want to eat him up.

I can't wait to see the show again on the 14th, and I feel pretty sure that it will be another new experience for me then. I just hope Clay doesn't change the white shirt and jeans. I don't think they are necessarily jeans of perfection; but I do think Clay now has the Body of Perfection and I don't want him covering it up with any yellow potato sacks or over-sized pants! The hammer pants are fun, as long as they come off quickly. I'm hoping and praying he's living not so much la vida loca, as la dolce vita! I hope the man is getting so much hot sex that he can't walk straight. Maybe the Good Reverend Studdard can heal that affliction for him. I do think he just may be getting hot and heavy loving on a more than regular basis, because he definitely seems uber-inspired these days. Not to mention, there's a kind of glow, all over his face.

Speaking of slap-happy and love ... Couchie, you may need to expedite another phone. Don't you just love seeing Mama Tomato so girlish and happy? I'm happy for her, although something tells me you may get tired of hearing his name! Ha! But I love it! And I did eat some carbs, BTW. There is bread in french onion soup - I got a banana something at Starbucks, and there were those Telepathic Vietnamese Egg Rolls at the Silver Legacy. I don't mind falling off the wagon rarely when it's worth it. But no garlic bread or hamburger buns! I loved Sterlings Steak House -- that was one marvelous table of food and good company, and it was fun to read that it was a favorite of Clay's too.

I haven't yet watched the TnT Special. Mine shipped last week, and the tracking said it arrived in Houston on Friday in the wee hours and was out for delivery that afternoon. Still, yo no lo tiene, or something like that. I may have to go to Walmart tomorrow and buy it, probably within an hour of it being delivered! But I have little patience for delaying my Clay fixes. I'm a sad case, and loving it.

weeeeeeeeeeeeeee I just pledged $250. I did installments! whoo hooo. So I have secured me and mama's tickets for the concert. If she is still here that is. I just told her if she decides to move back to South Carolina to be near her new beau..to please give me 2 weeks notice! Ha!

Loving the show! oops Suspicious Minds. I'm out!!

Well PBS made off well with the Couchtomato household. My mom just pledged for the Soul Rewind 6 CD box set. heee... I better change the channel quick!

oooh I'm a post ho LOL.

Back to Reno..it was nice to see Scarlett. She was dressed to the nines. Also my seat buddy Diamond Jake. Also saw goldarngirl very quickly. I hugged a lot of people! Hey to all of you.

Just watched Clay's part on Phineas and Ferb. CUTIE PIE!

:GM_FCA:

72 Days until The Special Concert in Chicago!

:yahoo:

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

ocregister.com

Ruben Studdard & Clay AIken: Primed for Vegas

Ruben Studdard & Clay Aiken: primed for Vegas

By BEN WENER2010-08-02 21:58:58l6k8kr-b78670453z.120100802215859000gb5pmil4.1.jpg

It isn't as though the careers of

Ruben Studdard and Clay Aiken have stalled, despite the modest turnout for the pair's performance Sunday evening at Club Nokia in the downtown L.A. Live complex.

The winner and runner-up of American Idol's second season (2003) have both maintained solid record sales and noteworthy philanthropy while simultaneously diversifying their portfolios. Studdard, for starters, earned positive notices for playing Fats Waller in a recent touring revival of the 1978 musical Ain't Misbehavin', while also garnering strong reviews (including a B+ from Entertainment Weekly) for his fourth album, last year's Jam & Lewis-produced Love Is. After years of seeming stiff on stage and in front of cameras -- a marvelous voice unmatched by a compelling personality -- the Velvet Teddy Bear has developed into an easygoing charmer whose appeal still has untapped potential to expand beyond his core R&B demographic.

Aiken, meanwhile, has remained one of Idol's most recognizable icons, arguably more famous for who he is than what he's done. As well-received as was his Broadway turn as Sir Robin in Spamalot, and no matter what kudos he racks up for his records (including his new, Johnny Mathis-esque standards collection, for venerable Decca Records), he's now just as widely known for coming out about his sexuality ... and at roughly the same time as the self-unveiled revelation that he had fathered a son with Jaymes Foster, sister of songwriter and producer David Foster, who had helmed three of Aiken's albums for RCA.

An only slightly old-fashioned Southern gentleman with natural comic timing, Aiken has further bolstered his reputation via memorably funny television appearances, especially as a frequent guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live! Methinks he envies the host: quick-witted but ever-sweet Aiken would be perfect for a revamp mash-up of The Mike Douglas Show and The Ellen DeGeneres Show.

Unlike so many other Idol-related talents -- not counting established superstars like Carrie Underwood, Chris Daughtry and Kelly Clarkson, the latter of whom was in attendance Sunday night -- there's no telling what Aiken and Studdard might do as the years trudge on; acting is probably more likely than career-jolting albums or tours at this point, though I can't help but think what wonders it would do for Aiken were he to score an opening slot on, say, a Michael Bublé outing.

All the same, next time these genial fellows suspect their careers might be approaching low ebbs, they might consider pitching their current Timeless Tour to Las Vegas bigwigs as a semi-permanent throwback production. Club Nokia might as well have been a showgirl-studded ballroom at the Stardust in the '70s Sunday night. Spruce up this two-hour trip through time with some modern razzle-dazzle, inject the arrangements (not the gags) with a bit more personality, and the whole thing could kill with musty blue hairs and partying twentysomethings alike.

That's largely because The Ruben & Clay Show doesn't focus on either performer's material at all -- it's instead a nostalgic, hit-stuffed spree from the '60s through the '90s, complete with mega-medleys for each decade that ran longer than each singer's solo spotlights. Frankly, it's precisely the sort of memory-lane stroll, thick with satisfying covers, that would have packed arenas full of Idol lovers in the months immediately after Ruben bested Clay by a still-disputed 130,000 votes.

"This is something we've talked about doing for a long time," Aiken said at the outset, just after the two men clowned around in the opening number, upstaging one another as the tune switched from one Idol-finale anthem (Studdard's "Flying without Wings") to another (Aiken's "This Is the Night"), then riffing humorously on the apparent incongruence of a soul star who digs Al Green and the Temptations performing alongside someone who evokes the spirit of Andy Williams.

"Ruben, it's really a blessing to have you open for me," Aiken then mentioned.

"I don't think that's what's happening here," the big man replied.

"Well, you came out first."

"No, Clay, I think you came out first."

It was shticky asides like that exchange that kept people giggling between the covers. And make no mistake, after that introductory moment there wasn't anything else in this set that wasn't a redo.

Each vocalist shined on his own: in addition to nailing the sky-high notes on Orleans' "Still the One" and (in the Seventies Medley) Boston's "More Than a Feeling," Aiken capably handled Elvis' "Suspicious Minds" andManilow's "Mandy," while Studdard expertly summoned the grit of Otis Redding (for "Bring It on Home to Me") and the effortless glide of Marvin Gaye (on a silken segue from "Mercy Mercy Me" into "What's Going On") before impressing as usual with his nuanced, Luther Vandross-informed reading of Leon Russell's "Superstar."

Yet, along with plenty of playful ribbing (too often accompanied by ba-dum-bum rimshots) and some goofy skits (one involving Studdard as a money-hungry televangelist, another that put Aiken in ridiculous MC Hammer pants), it was the mammoth run-on medleys (see the setlist below) that really set this feel-good bit of showbiz in the heart of Sin City.

With choreographed pacing that also involved their two backing vocalists -- blond Casey Thompson(pedestrian on Aretha's "Natural Woman" but a very fine harmonizing duet partner for both stars) and voluptuous Quiana Parler (ordinary on Chaka Khan's "I'm Every Woman" but better on Donna Summer's "On the Radio" and surprisingly forceful for Alanis' "You Oughta Know") -- Aiken and Studdard steamrolled gleefully through material both expectedly glossy and uncharacteristic. The Motown gems suited the latter as much as the power ballads of Chicago and REO Speedwagon were tailored for the former, but what I can't shake is the sight of Aiken kicking off Sir Mix-a-Lot's "Baby Got Back" or both of them kicking up their heels for Bell Biv DeVoe's "Poison" and New Kids on the Block's "The Right Stuff."

Trust me, I know how cheesy it all sounds, and I'm not suggesting this was a concert-going high. But as salutes to the past go, you can quickly find a whole lot worse.

It's such a schmaltzy conception that I often found myself wanting these two to give me a reason to loathe their performance -- except that I kept enjoying myself. Loosely silly as their show is, it's also unabashedly joyful, and above all smoothly executed ... a simple entertainment that could have legs if given half a chance and a bigger budget ... a kinda-corny, kinda-cute variety show ...

"You know, like Donny & Marie," Clay pointed out Sunday. "One was a little bit country, one was a little bit rock 'n' roll."

"Or like Peaches & Herb," Studdard added. "One was a fruit, the other was an herb."

"Just like us," Clay retorted.

Setlist: Ruben Studdard & Clay Aiken at Club Nokia, Los Angeles, Aug. 1, 2010

Intro: Flying without Wings (Ruben) crossed with This Is the Night (Clay) / Suspicious Minds (Clay) / Bring It on Home to Me (Ruben) / Sixties Medley: In the Midnight Hour > Up on the Roof > Someday We'll Be Together > Going Out of My Head > You Can't Hurry Love > Happy Together > I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch) > Cryin' > Soul Man > Wouldn't It Be Nice > Shotgun > Sugar, Sugar > Just One Look > Harper Valley PTA > Ain't Too Proud to Beg > Ain't No Mountain High Enough // (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman (Casey Thompson sings) / Still the One (Clay) / Mercy Mercy Me > What's Going On (Ruben) / Seventies Medley: Night Fever > Ain't No Stopping Us Now > December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night) > Oh Girl > On the Radio > Turn the Beat Around > Sex Machine > Don't Go Breaking My Heart > More Than a Feeling > September // Mandy (Clay) / Superstar (Ruben) / I'm Every Woman (Quiana Parler sings) / Televangelist skit ending in When I See You Smile (Clay) / Eighties Medley: Eye of the Tiger > Rhythm of the Night > The Glory of Love > Shout > Africa > I Can't Fight This Feeling Anymore > Through the Fire > All Night Long > If This Is It > Alone > Caribbean Queen > Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now > Footloose // Everything I Do (I Do It for You) (Ruben) / Nineties Medley: This Is How We Do It > Poison > Achy Breaky Heart > The Right Stuff > MMMBop > End of the Road > I Swear > I Want It That Way > Remember the Time > You Oughta Know > Jump Around > Baby Got Back > Livin' La Vida Loca > One Sweet Day // (I've Had) The Time of My Life

Photo by Armando Brown, for The Orange County Register.

Includes a slide show of about 20 pictures. Included are some pictures of fans; I recognized a few! But then there's also a pic of what looks to be some "goth" type kids there as well!

That reviewer has been around a long time, as has his mom. Although I haven't seen her lately.

OK, I am at work (ugh!) and I have Mmmmm Bop going round and round in my head. WTF. Someone just asked me how my 3 concerts were. Ha ha, soon!

I thought that was an excellent review in the OC Register, and especially that all the show needed for Vegas was flashier lights and arrangements -- and not reworking comedy bits or the setlist. So the performers were A-OK and ready for prime-time, and only needed some production flash. Quite a statement (albeit I have no idea who wrote this review). My favorite paragraph is:

An only slightly old-fashioned Southern gentleman with natural comic timing, Aiken has further bolstered his reputation via memorably funny television appearances, especially as a frequent guest on Jimmy Kimmel Live! Methinks he envies the host: quick-witted but ever-sweet Aiken would be perfect for a revamp mash-up of The Mike Douglas Show and The Ellen DeGeneres Show.

Actually, I'm looking for a Twenty-Teens version of the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour. (And, Couchie, they were on CBS!)

ETA: God please no opening EVER for the dreaded Michael Buble or anyone ELSE for that matter! That's just dumb.

I re-met so many fans over the weekend from past years at DCAT and Spamalot, and made so many new ones in just one venue/show that I'm bursting at the seams for more, more, and a still a little more please. And for the next one I'll be enjoying it with my Houston peeps too. EEEEEEEEEEEEE ... life is good.

Health update to those who helped me out Sunday: I'm still at home with this blasted neck and nerve deal from hell. I called my doctor who asked if I still had any of the meds she gave me for air travel and she suggested that I take one three times a day. It has helped immensely and I can now turn my head .... and sleep; so, Dr. Treenuts, you had the spot-on diagnosis of tension/anxiety. Seeing Clay does crazy things to my mind and body, which has rewired lately. But, there ain't no stoppin' me NOW! I'm on the move.

Well that's a damn sight better than his last review of Clay.

Happy Tuesday everyone.

Not a shining moment, for sure. Wonder if his mother ever forgave him?

Sorry, my memory is too long to take this guy's backhanded compliments and grudging enjoyment as worthy of anything but disdain. Meh.

:D

Sorry, my memory is too long to take this guy's backhanded compliments and grudging enjoyment as worthy of anything but disdain. Meh.

I don't even have a clue what you're referring to. You're reading backhanded compliments and grudging enjoyment into that? I thought for a GUY that was just an amazingly positive review for both Ruben and Clay, but especially for Clay. You have history with this individual? And who the hell is his mother? And why are we linking this to anything else?

Oh well, definitely not giving up my joy. And if anybody takes it from me ... well, I'll go to Slidell with Lucinda Williams! :D

Definitely not asking you (or anyone else) to give up your joy, keepingfaith. I'm just saying I can't share it when it comes to this guy. I'm not going to dredge up the details - suffice to say it was not pretty. So yes, I can and do read back-handedness into his words and I can't help that. For the record, it wasn't me who brought it up the history - just offering my feelings on it/him.

And neither he nor anyone else could possibly steal my joy or excitement for this tour and most especially this Thursday and Friday.

:snoopy::dancingbanana::dancing3::snoopy::dancingbanana::dancing3::snoopy::dancingbanana::dancing3::snoopy::dancingbanana::dancing3::snoopy::dancingbanana::dancing3::snoopy:

(and that's putting it mildly!!!)

Actually, I'm looking for a Twenty-Teens version of the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour. (And, Couchie, they were on CBS!)

How perfect would that be! I haven't seen a show from the Timeless Tour yet (going on Sunday), and haven't watched much Clack, but from what I've read, I definitely get a Smothers Brothers vibe, with Clay taking on the role that Tommy had in the pair.

:cryingwlaughter:

I hate what happened to the Smothers Brothers' show. I barely remember it, but it seemed like censorship at the time. Of ocurse I was in my rebellious phase, so maybe I misinterpreted things.

Backing up a bit, now that I'm a bit more awake (and yes, I'm supposed to be working...)

Claylove. Sorry I missed you. I definitely understand though. Fortunately my mom was able to hang tough. She's floating these days anyway since she has a boyfriend LOL. LdyJ, Treenuts, and KF got all the details -- over and over and over heee.

Claylove, while I'm sorry I missed really talking to you, I think you probably did the right thing. How is your Mom feeling now?

It was fun meeting MamaCouchie. She's such a sweet doll!

I'd like to go on record that I do not lose things.. I just question myself about where I put them...but they always turn up safe and sound right where I put them LOL.

Except that you kept thinking things were three other places before you finally found them, right where you put them. Hee.

He's so damn handsome during the PBS show I can hardly stand it.

Clay_MB1.jpg

Tried and True deserves to be one of those specials that plays forever. It's a classic.

First of all -- yum. Second of all, I think Tried and True is definitely a classic as well.

Finally -- bc, can you do me a favor and get a screen cap of Clay backstage watching Ruben from the DVD? Mucho appreciated.

It was kind of different watching a concert without knowing everything about it beforehand, but I think that just made the experience that much more refreshing.

And that's the reason why I sometimes go unspoilered for shows, or for albums. (Not this time, but I won't talk about that. :whistling-1:) I think it's good to have some surprises in this fandom, and IMO it gives some perspective. I didn't tell my husband much at all about this show, for he is seeing it with me at Hammond. The ONLY thing I've mentioned is that he'll hear 1.25 songs from the new album. The rest of it? Nada. I'll interject here that he didn't get to see the JBT with me, so he'll be TOTALLY fresh for this show. I'll report back later with his reaction.

From afterelton.com:

Last night on Disney XD, Phineas & Ferb had guest stars Chaka Khan and Clay Aiken on to sing encouragement to the boys. But it was more than just providing a song - they got animated into the show, and even had a couple lines after the song. It's a great thing for gay families to see a gay dad animated into their programming - this isn't Fox Sunday night grown-up cartoons, this is real kid's programming, with a gay dad they can talk to their kids about.

How wonderful is that??? YAYNESS ALL OVER!

ETA: The "trucking funk" with Drunk Alex is in the Reno_Thankful4Clay_Banter with Alex clip. He's so damned cute it's ridiculous. Just the first minute or so has it all. And as Clay says, "Exxxxcellent!" I'm now remembering when Clay called for a "moment of silence" for Alex after she was removed in a state pretty close to unconsciousness, or maybe she was stone cold OUT. But the woman danced until she actually did drop! What a night.

From afterelton.com:

Last night on Disney XD, Phineas & Ferb had guest stars Chaka Khan and Clay Aiken on to sing encouragement to the boys. But it was more than just providing a song - they got animated into the show, and even had a couple lines after the song. It's a great thing for gay families to see a gay dad animated into their programming - this isn't Fox Sunday night grown-up cartoons, this is real kid's programming, with a gay dad they can talk to their kids about.

How wonderful is that??? YAYNESS ALL OVER!

ETA: The "trucking funk" with Drunk Alex is in the Reno_Thankful4Clay_Banter with Alex clip. He's so damned cute it's ridiculous. Just the first minute or so has it all. And as Clay says, "Exxxxcellent!"

Now THAT I can get behind! (both items)

Awesome! :flirtysmile3:

I am so far behind in downloading and watching clack. I did enjoy Clay's part on P&F last night. I don't think I'll be a regular as cartoons just don't do it for me, but Clay was just adorable and they did a great job portraying his energy.

Between a sick cat. a husband who can't drive and workmen all around the outside of the house, as well as trying to plan the next trip, I am whipped. Leaving on Monday to see Clay (and some family members) and hopefully will be ready to fly. :canfly:

I have a little narrative before doing something else I just have to do this afternoon. You remember I mentioned earlier today about the meds? Okay, that's established now. I realized that if I wait for the postman to get here at about 4pm today, he won't have a prize for me in his bag. No, I want it too badly, and I know and understand my life well enough by now. So I decided I must go to Walmart to buy a copy so that it will be guaranteed to arrive by mail this afternoon. So I get to Walmart, park, go in, look for the music DVDs, they don't have any, I'm bummed, I go over to the alpha bins, they have two Clay albums, both are Playlist, I'm still bummed, I look up and over the alpha bins is a bunch of music DVDs for AC/DC, because Walmart is their exclusive dealer. I look at just how many AC/DC copies they have and conclude that it's just obscene, but, hark, at the end of the AC/DC line of 75 CDs and DVDs what do I see but ..... three rows of TnT CDs? Can it be. I looked at the quantity and it said "20" --WHAT??? My eyes continued past the three upper rows of TnT CDs and, heart be still, a whole FIVE Clay Aiken Tried & True DVDs right there on the top row to the right of the TnT CDs. Has there been an apocalypse? Was I left behind? Has the world tilted on its axis? So I buy quicker than you can say Jack Robinson and am out the door.

But where did I park? What door did I come in? Hell if I know. After walking from one end of the Walmart parking to the other, I found my car and concurrently remembered that I had parked right there, yes indeed, by the cart rack. Oh, yeah. Home to watch Clay. But, dammit, I promised my son to go by Randall's and pick up a couple of cartons of DP because they sell it made with real sugar instead of the high fructose corn syrup. So, I'm in Randall's, get the Dr. Pepper, and some chicken, and talk to the lady at the check-out who tells me that the guy on the news says that we could fry eggs on the sidewalk today. Now, my friends know how I feel about my eggs, but I prefer them NOT cooked on the pavement. The lady says there's a problem with my card. Oops. I swiped my drivers license. Okay, wake up girl. I get it together enough to pay for the DP and the buffalo wings from the deli. Go out to my car, which I could actually see this time, unload my goods in the trunk and push my buggy to the rack at the far end of the parking aisle. A lady walks up to me, pushing hers, and says, "We parked on the only aisle that doesn't have a cart rack in the middle and we have to walk all the way to the end in this hundred degree heat!" I say, "Yeah, but I refuse to leave my cart because I've had my car nicked by wandering shopping carts too many times and it pisses me off so badly." She agreed, and said that she had watched one day from inside the store at people with their carts after unloading their groceries and every man pushed his cart to the rack, and every woman left hers by the car. I said that I was ashamed of our gender for that kind of behavior. She agreed. We talked for another five minutes in the sun, and got back in our cars just short of exchanging telephone numbers and email addresses. That's when I remembered I'm back in Houston. And no matter how flat and hot it is here, Houston has the friendliest people in the entire world when it comes to strangers, or friends as yet unmet, as we call them. Anyway, I made it home. I'm lying down and like I said at the beginning, I have something to do for the rest of the afternoon. So you won't be hearing from me for a while.

Oh my God, that face is better than Xanax.