#59: Forget life -- It's CLAY time!

ldyjocelyn

Thread Title  

36 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the next thread title at FCA?

• My life has been so enriched by knowing this Clay Aiken guy!
    • I love Clay !! Forever and ever !
    • It's About Damn Time for the Spaghetti & Meatball Show.
    • Let's do it again, girls!
    • Clay is hilarious and lickable at the same time
    • I l.o.v.e. my hawt humanatarianactivistsingersongwriterambassador boyfriend
    • Brad Pitt, Johnny Dep move over, way over, here comes Clay.
    • It's always like the first date all over again with Clay, and I always end up falling in love.
    • Whoever shrunk those jeans... thank you!
    • He branded me for life.
    • Clay Aiken: I am me.

Thanks for bringing those over. He really had some stubble going on, didn't he? I could see the shadow of it but it's nice to see the up close shots too! Hee, I loved the way he said goodbye last night....see you in the spring....or Saturday. cryingwlaughter.gif

We are off to the airport and our flight to Raleigh!!! But first, what did we do yesterday?

We had a nice in-hotel breakfast, and then decided to wander down towards the venue, taking our time to window shop. It was a gorgeous fall day, perfect weather for walking. We got sidetracked by Best Buy and cameras for a while, and then we lost count of all the sushi places we passed and vowed to come back to later. When we got to Park West there were about 25 people in line, and they had taken it upon themselves to write numbers on their hands, so that they could come and go (food, potty breaks, etc). Very organized. I managed to find the lady with my ticket flirtysmile3.gif and then we wandered back, stopping for lunch at Cosi along the way. We stopped at one of the sushi/noodle places and took some back to the hotel for later. Then we just relaxed, watched TV, napped, and a few of us did some shopping at TJ Maxx and Borders to kill some time. Then 7 of us piled into a taxi van for the short trip back to the venue (ha ha, there might or might not have been some pictures taken of that) and got in line about 6:10. We saw Jerome walking down the sidewalk which is always a good omen. Some venue staff came down the line carding and putting wrist bands on those who wanted to drink. Everyone had to show ID, regardless of age!

When we were let inside, we found our reserved booth, which couldn't have been more dead-centred if it tried. Like we had been promised, it was a tiny venue with not a bad seat in the house.

Ooop gotta run! More later!

:GM_FCA:

Fabulous evening last night, but I am so tired! I think the best part of Clay's concerts is meeting friends..so nice to see LdyJ, Luckiest 1 and Cindy...wish I had been able to meet more of you. We had a booth in the back but smack dab in the center..just perfect! He was funny and sang great and just a fun time was had by all. Can't wait to see clack to relive it.

Can't wait to see the clack and relive the whole thing!

1 Day until The National Inclusion Project Gala!:yahoo:

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

My Lord, that man puts on a show!

I'll give y'all more of my recap about me later (merrieeee was glad, glad I missed my flight (which I admit to looking for someone, anyone else to blame but have been unsuccessful. Dammit.)

The concert: (Disclaimer - this is not my favorite of his albums or shows - just not my kind of music, and I think it encourages the deadness of the Clay audience. But he has enough talent that I will go and see the type of music that I don't care for a couple of times!)

Y'all know the eHP - unless necessary, we aren't getting in a line at 7 am unless they're giving away free money. So we show up at 6:35, the doors are open and people are pouring in. I, merrieeee and PerusingOne, get seats along the far right wall, only one seat away from the stage. And I can see just about everything except for Pink as she's doing the intro - but I can see the paper she's reading from, so it's good. The curtain opens up, and I can see Clay, who is already on stage, striding toward the mic. He is wearing the sharkskin suit I hated in Raleigh (I see where he's trying to go with that, but it doesn't work for him, that 40's/early 50's style suit is better on a stocky body - Clay is lean with a little bit of an ass so the baggy fit pants tapering to the ankles and the length of the suit make him look pear-shaped.) He says he did his hair himself - I believe him. He pulled the front inch of his hair straight up and out - it's more of a front fan than rooster. If he ever comtemplated a hair dressing career, all I've got to say is don't quit your day job, Clay. He starts out with You Don't Have to Say You Love Me, has a complete brain fart, sings in perfect key, "I don't know the words", never missing a beat. Finishes up the song with what suspiciously sounds to me like the same lines, comments he doesn't even remember the order the songs go in, asks for copies of the song order, rejects Ben's for being too messy and take one of the string guy's copy, puts it on the floor with the lyric sheets he's not actually reading either, and rolls into the next song, Besso something and gets someone from the front to get up on stage and dance. She tries to dance with him but he say the Raleigh show had real dancers filling in this part and he didn't have anything else. So she dances something Latinish until she comes to the end of her Latin repetoire and then does some robot, a little running man. It is HILARIOUS. He makes her do a shimmy in front of him then sits her back down. He's a little hoarse but generally works his way around it - and is in an incredibly sarcastic mode - lord, I love that man. He noticed a woman on the phone, asked if she was finished with her call, got the phone from her, talked smack to the woman on the phone (you're only in Ohio?!? Why are you here?!?!) and shocked the shit out of the entire audience by snapping the phone closed, smirked at us, mocked our OMG faces and rolled into Who's Sorry Now and commented that the timing was perfect. I don't think I've ever loved him more. And the old lady that he was under the mistaken impression that he was going to have a sweet moment with... she got him, she got him GOOD. He asked for people who had never seen him live before, clearly looking for someone who maybe saw the PBS special and decided to come to the show. When he first started talking to her and she mentioned she watched him for hours every day on the computer, something should have given him a hint. He gets them to bring her up front, he climbs down the stage (complaining about his back) and the minute he gets close enough to him, she latches on to him like a leech. The look on his face was priceless! She starts telling him stuff and he tries to interrupt by saying , "Look, apparently there's a magazine you need to read..." and he couldn't get loose from her. I swear, it threw him off for at least 5 minutes. And the audience was in hysterics. He sang beautifully, even the stuff that doesn't thrill me. But one of the ones that did thrill me was Breaking Up Was Hard To Do - that was beyond gorgeous. The best performance was probably Unchained Melody. Another disclaimer - I hate this arrangement. Hate it so much. To me, it'ws like taking the Mona Lisa and painting her on black velvet. But he sings the fuck out of it, and I can't think of another artist that could do this arrangement justice.

:GA_FCA:

The new Carolina On My Mind blog replays Clay's fabulous Chicago Concert through fan recaps (wandacleo, ncwannabe, sugrbugr, thesmlpkg) and visuals (Cotton, toni7babe, Shamrock, Snix, farouche, dc4clay, Fountaindawg). There are also blurbs about the Gala and a reminder to keep those Pepsi Refresh votes coming in daily for the National Inclusion Project.

Thank you for your blog comments/visits, FB posts, tweets/retweets, links, etc., all of which help the Internet Clay blogs on Google.

I have to [a] eat lunch and get my NIP votes in. Thnx so much for your support! I'm off to take care of "a" and "b."

Y'all have fun in Raleigh! Have a great weekend, all! :flirtysmile3:

Caro :listen:

Wow, I've read descriptors like "dead" and "subdued" and I just don't agree at all - the audience last night was neither of those things IMO. I thought we were actually a lot wilder than the venue was anticipating. I also thought Clay fed off that energy. There were a few standing ovations and a LOT of cheering, whistling and applause in appropriate places in the show (like between every song and during the banter, LOL). At other times, I think that we were all so enthralled with the quality of his voice and the acoustics that you could hear a pin drop. Just my impressions, anyways. As I said before, the voice (or VOX as we used to say wink.gif ) was just glorious, and I felt it right down to my toes. I could have listened to him sing all night.

In Raleigh after a stressful morning at the airport. We flew United and knew before we even got there that the flight was oversold, as there were no seats available when we checked in online. So we got there as quickly as possible and were lucky enough to be assigned seats (while 11 others sat on either the "confirmed but waiting for a seat" or "stand by" lists). I was ready to give my seat to another fan who had VIP seats for tonight, but it didn't end up having to come down to that. Still, 2 people got bumped from the flight and another 9 on stand by were SOL. I think it's criminal to oversell flights like that. In any case, we all arrived safe and sound. I've already been to the mall for lunch and dessert (and some light shopping). Going to take a much needed nap now, before hitting the state fair tonight! whistling-1.gif

I liked this one by dc4clay. Totally leading man material! :)

1048522735_Wea2s-L.jpg

00lsee... May I say I totally agree with you. GAH!!!

Saw a bit of the live show last night. Couldn't see worth a darn, but his voice was sublime. Double GAH!!!

I guess when I say a "dead: audience means that although there was plenty of applause, and standing afterward during the singing I'm used to an audience reacting to the music while it's going on, finger snapping, heads bobbing, toes tapping, bodies swaying - and besides me and merrieeee, it doesn't seem to happen. Sitting unmoving through the song just strikes me as dead, no matter the applause afterward. Maybe it's just different concert experiences.

Back home, and I'm not even sure where to begin….

It was a good drive going to Chicago, except for the 15 minutes waiting for the IDOT workers, painting the new center lines on repaved stretch of road. Could they not TELL that Clay was waiting for me? Anyway, my husband and I made it to the hotel, settled in for a bit, and then went for an early dinner. Hubby ended up with a Veal Parmegana (sp?) plate bigger than his head! Anyway, we ate and then took a taxi to the theater, arriving about 5:20 or so. It was fun going down the line, saying "hi" to all the people who were there, and I got to see a great many friends. Standing in line wasn't too bad, and I'm kind of glad we did. While we didn't get near the front, we were near the CENTER, and I personally like that better. It gave a nice clear view of the stage.

The familiar strains of "Mack the Knife" started, and I knew I was in for a treat! Hair was spiky/rooster/fan,but I didn't care. The suit didn't fit, but I didn't care. (Can you tell that I'm extremely easy for the man?) His "wrap around with the suit" was pretty funny – the man is back to skinny Minnie again. He sounded fantastic, even when he messes upwords. (I mean, really – the Aiken Random Lyric Generator pretty much has to show up at a show anymore, to me, it's a given. LOL)

I gotta say, Clay's gonna have to figure out something to do during the Eso Beso instrumental if he keeps singing that song next year. It WAS funny, I'll grant you, but I also was doing the "uh oh, here we go again" when a well known fan appears onstage with him. OTOH, my husband was laughing during the whole segment, so maybe those without a "history"appreciated it more?

When he snapped that phone shut on the lady from Ohio, I almost fell on the floor! And then, the added irony of the next song being "Who's Sorry Now?" just added to the laughter. The faces he made were priceless.

As for the "new fan" – I agree with kandre that Clay should have figured something out as soon as she said the word "computer." I kind of wish he had picked on the family behind me – husband, wife and boy of about 7. The child was raising his hand wildly during his questioning for audience members who hadn't seen him, and I think that would have been fun. Anyway, again Clay takes a situation and makes it into the funniest things. He's a master at that.

"Breaking Up is Hard to Do" was certainly a highlight. That song took my breath away. "In My Life" was another – so gentle, so sweet. I'd experienced "Moon River" live at the Gala last year, but it still gave me goose bumps. And then…the final blow. UM. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum from kandre in that I love Ben's arrangement, and to hear it live was thrilling. That note? THAT NOTE? Good Lord in Heaven. There are no words. My chair had a permanent indent from me being thrown back into it.

As I said in my text messages last night, my husband was probably 1 of about 10 guys there. Afterwards, I quizzed him a bit. He really enjoyed the show, and thought Clay has the vocal chops to pull off this kind of music. (My husband's request is now "Ebb Tide." *g*) He thought the musicians were tight, and the sound system was quite exquisite, although to his ear, the electric bass was a bit muffled. He didn't think it was bad when the hair/bass guy was on the upright.

My husband has seen Clay about 5 or 6 times (I can'tremember at the moment). Today as we were driving back, he said "Clay's gotten…snarkier, hasn't he?" I mentioned that many of us thought he's always been like that, but it's gotten more open now. Hubby thought that really agreed with Clay, and he enjoyed all the banter parts.

As for the energy of this show…well, it's just a DIFFERENT kind of energy. There's something to be said for a show where you can be mesmerized by the voice for two or three songs, and then laughing hysterically at something he's saying or doing, and then clapping along with the next few songs. Personally, I really do think he enjoys these songs and enjoys the idea of emphasizing his voice. I feel he loves being an "entertainer," but that also involves a voice. One that can sang.

All in all, I'm still floored. It was a great, great night.

___

Today was fun -- shopping! Nordstrom's Rack rocks!

____

kandre, I was bouncing/dancing/toetapping! And I saw others doing the same, although I'll agree not as much as a "normal" show. As I said above, it's a different kind of energy, which is what I think Clay's trying to achieve. The intimate setting helped. It will be interesting to see how that translates next year with the bigger theaters.

Sitting here in my room relaxing before the reception tonight. I was moving along with the cellcert last night. I loved, love, am in love with "It's Only Make Believe". He better never stop singing that song. I'm with ldyjin that I love Ben's version of UM. unfortunately now that I know what's coming, I look forward to it and miss part of the rest of the song.

If Clay feels that the audience is dead, he'll adjust for the next concert. Obviously, he knows most of us like to hear him talk. For past concerts he added a few faster songs where he thought it needed it, so last night was probably a rehearsal for the longer show. I'm sure Quiana and Casey will have a few solos too!

Looks like we have tables tonight for the reception insteaad of standing around. See you all later.

ETA: I forgot to mention at the Taping in March, I could barely sit in my seat. I jumped up every chance I got.

Eh, I know I'm alone in my dislike of the arrangement of UM (and it is more that crescendo than anything else) but he does sing the hell out of it.

And as for the dead audiences, it's been like that for the last several tours, and I honestly don't think Clay can get that to change - I see it as one reason Ruben kept pushing the crowd to participate during the summer because in general past the first three rows, it's just subdued. The few people who do clap or stand or obviously react tend to stick out like sore thumbs. Suspicious Minds for example, of all the songs that's a clap-along, only a few people will start, then it will fade out, and then people just sit and stare again. My nonClay venues have people moving to the music, obviously, even if they never stand up. It's to the point I don't expect high energy from the audience during songs, just during the banter, but that's just a Clay crowd.

KAndre, I think it may be more just audiences in GENERAL. At least for a show like Clay's. The Straight No Chaser I saw the other night was kind of the same thing -- and heck, they do an acapella Lady Gaga medley (hysterical)! But yet, no one really clapped along, or if they did, it faded, as you said.

I think it's weird that people think you're rude if you stand up and dance to music at a concert, and yet think nothing of talking on their cell phones during slower songs. But, I've had that happen.

Man, I wanna see Clay again. Now. Heck with that March 4 business. Wait, I can make my calendar say March 4, 2011. I think I'll do that now, so that Clay can come sing to meeeeeeeeeeee!

We had a group of ladies in front of us who were definitely not of the 'sit and stare' variety. I don't think I've ever seen a group have more fun at a concert. And anyone who knows me knows I can't sit still at a Clay event. But during a song like "It's Impossible" or "Moon River" for example, I don't expect to see anyone in the audience doing anything but sitting and listening, and I don't think Clay does either. There's a time and a place for clapping along or head bopping, and there's a time for seriously listening to the sounds the man can make, because they are exquisite. And they deserve rapt attention. I loved the way the audience would wait for the very.last.note to applaud sometimes. It shows (to me) that they are loving every second of the music. All I know is that the waitresses who were circulating the room started to understand that they'd better not get in anyone's way, because all eyes were trained on Clay and no one wanted to be interrupted for a refill. It was kind of funny to watch them almost crawling along at times to avoid the viewfinders of the cameras, or the icy glare of someone whose view they were blocking. cryingwlaughter.gif

I have the Clack that's been put up but no time to watch it yet.... I've kinda been having a mini-marathon getting through a TV show this week. :blush: I guess I'll save it, along with the rest of the TT Clack I haven't seen and the gala Clack for during our dry spell!

I'm off to go save all of Cotton's pictures. *g*

I loved the reception this year. We had the choir made up of kids with special needs and those who are typical.

Than we had a mother speak who has an eight year old with cp. After her the eight year old daughter spoke about inclusion. She was amazing and her vocabulary was far beyond an eight year old. She has started a social network for kids with special needs.

Finally Clay and Diane answered questions and accepted ideas about the National Inclusion Project. They were very honest about the problems they face now and in the future. A few people asked career questions but they actually seemed out of place tonight. Tomorrow morning is the round table for discussions about the N.I.P. at 9:00 AM.

After this there was dessert and picture taking with Clay. Clay stood next to me and I barely came up to his shoulders. I'm about 5'6" and was wearing a 1 inch heel. I told him I would wear high heels next time. He told me he was standing on his toes. :cryingwlaughter:

We got a really cute umbrella with the foundation logo on it and a very sweet saying attached to it on a tag. "To protect our stars from the wind and rain as You've protected ALL children's right to play, sheltered them in the storm of indifference, and made possible a bright, new day!"

He looked very adorable in a dark suit, white shirt and tie. His hair was spiked way up, from the side it looked like a mohawk. I actually thought it was cute. As far as I know, no one took a picture or video. I can scan in our photo and take everyone else out of it when we get them.

:GM_FCA:

45 Days until Clay's Birthday!

:yahoo:

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

All caught up. Sounds like a good time was had by all. Looking forward to watching the clack today. Luckiest the vision of the waitresses is cracking me up.

My job is sending me to Houston for training. Hmmmm wonder what's there to do there!

Bottle I love your avatar!! Thanks for the reports.