# 63: Clay Aiken for President!

ldyjocelyn

It's odd, couchie, as I'm the total opposite of you. I can't STAND "Survivor," but yet have been enjoying CApp. I think I see an awful lot of my work world in it, and gives me different ways to deal with that....

Speaking of jobs, congrats KAndre -- hope everything works out well for you, and that you can wear good bling at the new place.

I just downloaded LBAL...I don't know. It's fun, but IMO it doesn't totally work. It's much more suited for Dee's voice than Clay's.

Go ahead, throw your tomatoes...

I'm not into Survivor this year or last for that matter (due to casting) however the editors are clever and they give good smackdown when it's deserved. It can just be so satisfying. Haven't really felt that with this show at all. I know when you tape the show so far in advance it's hard to know how the audience will feel but Survivor manages to find those moments. And unlike tribal council, the boardroom has mostly been cringe worthy. My favorite boardroom moment was TrumpDaughter calling out Aubrey. Also Trumpson said he'd never seen anything like her in the history of the show - throwing her team mates under the bus midway through a task. Yet, that part was never really spoken out loud in the boardroom. I just won't be happy if she gets a you were so wonderful but oh you're fired. All Lisa got was you'r so emotional. Whatever. Not strong enough.

The negotiations wasn't impressive to me either. She did it simply for the humiliation factor and so I didn't enjoy it (because Theresa was one of my favorite people on this show). But I will freely it admit that at this point I can't see her without prejudice.

Hmmm... crap. I don't think I ever put itunes on my computer. Better get busy.

No tomatoes from me. We'll see how you feel after the 100th listen heee.

I see your point couchie about the editing, and the satisfaction you could get from it.

I think I'm just fascinated by why exactly Clay seems to like Lisa so much. God knows most of the fans don't (including me, frankly -- most of the time -- I did laugh at the supposed negotiations...), so I'm dying to get into his head and figure out why he seems to "get" her.

As far as LBAL -- I'll listen to it again tonight when I'm working out. I'm also happy for those of you who really like it. But I just can't see it being on a permanent rotation in my Clay Aiken collection.

I don't have time today to bring them over right now, but Clay's been a tweeting fool today, drumming up votes AGAINST Amendment 1 in North Carolina. Many are retweets from people in the state who voted. Good for him!

Also, Clay was on CNN about the same topic.

Link to interview

Loved it. Not concerned anymore as even the republicans are saying it will be overturned. Love how one of their wives described the amendment.

During the conversation, Brunstetter said her husband was the architect of Amendment 1, and one of the reasons he wrote it was to protect the Caucasian race. She said Caucasians or whites created this country. ‘We wrote the Constitution. This is about protecting the Constitution. There already is a law on the books against same-sex marriage, but this protects the Constitution from activist judges.’”

Full story here: http://www.queerty.com/nc-amendment-1-architect-peter-brunstetter-wrote-bill-to-protect-the-caucasian-race-says-wife-20120502/#ixzz1uJm5bzRF

This is one of the few times I get embarrassed about living in NC. :smack:

Bleah. I blame Billy Graham for the margin being so wide--I'm sorry to those who do, but I never have liked that man.

Clay was so smart today though--it is a matter of people evolving, and sometimes it is slow, painfully slow. He is willing to be patient. Still, for today it's a bummer.

North Carolina :starhugs:

I'm sorry Clay, Fear, and all those who voted against the amendment. News reports are stating it PASSED. Good Lord, that pisses me off.

Twit pic from the Equality Gala tonight:

zw2fz.jpg

CV is reporting that Clay sang "This is the Moment" and "Home."

ETA: the young man with Clay is Zack Wahls, who gave an impassioned speech in the Iowa Congress last year about his two Moms. I remember that speech, and it was awesome. He's written a book, I gotta read it.

I've been getting emails (voluntarily) from protectncfamilies.org, which has been working hard against the amendment. I thought I'd share this email I received tonight from the spokesperson. The subject line was "A Victory."

Dear Friend,

Tonight’s results were disappointing, not just for gay and lesbian North Carolinians, but for the hundreds of thousands of non-traditional families who may face the harmful impact of Amendment One. Our campaign may have fallen short this evening, but your work over the past several months did not. Your efforts and dedications achieved many victories along the way, and demonstrated to North Carolina and to the entire country that discrimination and victimization will not achieve easy victories.

Tonight’s result was truly historic. This amendment began with a forty-point lead just a few months ago - but you, undeterred and undaunted, worked to educate your fellow citizens about its harms. Your work has made a difference not just in North Carolina but in our country as a whole. People from all over the country can now look to North Carolina as an example of a state that fights to protect, defend, and support all of its citizens.

Our campaign was a rejection of the divisive vision offered by the National Organization for Marriage and similar organizations who advocated for this damaging amendment. Just as they have done in many other states, these organizations injected millions of dollars of funding into a messaging campaign that framed the Amendment as a fight to protect “family,” never admitting that it stood to endanger families, children, and individuals across our state.

Over the course of the campaign we showed them that North Carolina was better than this amendment, and better than their divisive tactics and misleading messages. We may lost in the polls tonight, but in the final days of this campaign we succeeded in reframing this debate, replacing divisive messaging and scare tactics with pragmatic discussion and empathy.

We would like to thank you and everyone who fought against Amendment One. Over the course of the campaign we were inspired by the tens of thousands of people we met at events, encouraged by the thousands of volunteers who stepped up and spoke out, and awed by the 11,000 people who contributed financially to our success.

All of our efforts were boosted by a historic coalition that came together across North Carolina, and our spirits were lifted by our diverse and courageous allies. Our partners include Equality North Carolina, HRC, the NC NAACP, ALCU-NC, Blueprint NC, Replacements, Ltd., Southerners on New Ground, and dozens of faith communities and community organizations .

Together, we have proven to North Carolina and the entire country that fear tactics, discrimination, and division may compete with love, compassion, and solidarity in the short term, but we know that the time is coming for true equality. As Martin Luther King, Jr. said, “the arc of the moral universe Is long, but it bends toward justice”

Finally, I want to say to all North Carolinians, gay and straight, who I have met during this campaign: you are worthy of love and acceptance. Your family cannot be defined by discriminatory amendments or statutes. I ask that we continue to support one another, fight for one another, and work together to move this state and our society closer to our ideals -closer to our creed that ALL men and women are created equal.

Thank you for your support over the course of this journey and I urge you to please continue to work with all of our coalition partners on behalf of equality in North Carolina and beyond.

Best,

Jeremy Kennedy

I'm not even sure Billy Graham is verbal anymore. I think others speak for him. But I could be wrong. Time to start work on overturning the amendment. Today at the polling place one of the things that gave me hope earlier was when a very well dressed older woman turned to me as her husband went for the car and gave me a thumbs up. A farmer looking guy in coveralls also gave me a thumbs up when I shouted to him to vote against the amendment. So many things went contrary to what i thought they would that I felt some hope. No worries though I think the tide will turn soon.

Folks sure wanted it to seem like he was talking, if he wasn't. At any rate, those newspaper ads were placed in his name, and supposedly in his words: Evangelist Billy Graham backs marriage amendment. I know too well the attitude behind this--grew up hearing it in church services, Sodom and Gemorrah and homosexuality as a sign of the end of a civilization and so on.

Today at the polling place one of the things that gave me hope earlier was when a very well dressed older woman turned to me as her husband went for the car and gave me a thumbs up. A farmer looking guy in coveralls also gave me a thumbs up when I shouted to him to vote against the amendment. So many things went contrary to what i thought they would that I felt some hope. No worries though I think the tide will turn soon.

:clap:

Via dancermom:

ClayFEC1.jpg

Oooh, yum.

Her recap via the CH:

Home again!

It was a wonderful evening. DH had a blast! He had a really really good time tonight! It's not just the company...and the fun...and hearing Clay and being able to take the 500 or so pics he took....but that he wholeheartedly agreed with the mission of FEC. I do too. I sincerely have a hard time even comprehending those that don't understand the idea of equality for all in marriage and as parents. The speeches were awe inspiring. Clay gave a heartfelt speech also about Amendment 1, I wish with all my heart that Amendment 1 did not pass. It is a sad day. But the hope is the next generation. They will repeal these amendments because the next generation gets it and understands that hetero or gay...you can be a good parent and you are entitled to be treated exactly in the same way.

I need to address the comments about the "rudeness". The problem was pretty simple...they had the speeches and the performances while serving the meal. You had over 66 tables... heh...we were at Table 66 at the very back...lol! There were 700 people there tonight. There were 4 huge jumbotrons so everyone could see. The stage was in the middle of the room but we were out at the back of the room about as far away as you could get from that stage. They also had one of those endless wine glasses were it was constantly refilled even without you asking. I don't even know how much wine I had tonight! But...they did do all the presentations...and the performances while serving dinner and desert and the wine. I think the phone is very sensitive and picks up everything so it makes it sound really bad...when in reality...it was what it was and there wasn't anything you could do about it. I will say that when he sang Home...that people seemed to quiet when he was in the build up to the big note. It was as if he commanded attention and it got about as quiet as it was going to get with 700 people eating desert and the waiters going around busing dishes and asking people if they wanted coffee and serving that at the tables.

I think if the performances were not during the meal service you could ask for quiet...but it was just not possible while serving the meal and eating.

Most of our table up and left when Clay sang to get closer and left our desserts on the table. We all migrated to a door that was opposite the stage and watched from there since we got a lot closer since our table was in the boondocks and as far away from the stage as it was going to get.

I totally swooned when he sang. In fact after he was done and we were all back at the table....I sort of swooned in front of DH talking about Clay and he punched me. Hey...what's a girl supposed to do? He totally understands though...he is a good sport about it.

Oh yeah..he looked freaking gorgeous tonight!!!

DH got about 500 pics like I said. He was having a great time because no one told him he couldn't take pics. In fact with his camera I think some thought he was a professional again. There is Clack but people are on the road home so tomorrow is the earliest it will get up.

I have to applaud FEC and all that they are trying to accomplish. I just wish that the vote in NC could have been a reason to celebrate at the dinner. Speakers kept referring to what was happening and about how much more work had to be done.

Thanks for bringing the recap and pictures over, ldyj. I forgot all about the FEC gala last night! He sure looked great, and I bet he sounded great as well. Looking forward to clack. So sorry to hear that the amendment passed in NC. I was really getting a kick out of Clay's tweets last night....he never backs down, does he? Even to idiots who say the rudest things.

Just posted on Facebook:

Save the Date! The 2012 Champions Gala will be held on Oct 20, 2012 at the National Theater in Washington, DC. We will host our VIP Ticket guests at a special reception immediately prior to the event. Info about ticket sales, hotel accommodations and special guests coming soon. We’re looking forward to celebrating our successes with you as together we make sure that no child sits on the sidelines! http://owl.li/aO1Dv

I won't be able to go..was hoping to this year but my daughter is expecting her second baby at that time..maybe try again next year, but I hope many more fans can go and have a wonderful time! Just say Hey to Clay for me..I am beginning to think he is never going to come to this part of the country again!

Kim

I'm gonna try like crazy to go! And I loved DC when I was there 2 years ago, so maybe I'll throw and extra day on to do a little more sightseeing. (Anyone want to go with me?)

I'm gonna try like crazy to go! And I loved DC when I was there 2 years ago, so maybe I'll throw and extra day on to do a little more sightseeing. (Anyone want to go with me?)

:meme: