# 63: Clay Aiken for President!

ldyjocelyn

Never did watch the finale.

That's interesting. I think I must be a sadist, because I've watched it at least 3 times. Yes, I was vastly disappointed in the outcome, and yes, it hurts to watch the ending. But you know, I did the same thing for the Idol "anomaly," watched it more than a few times. I think a good desensitizing helped me realize that it's just a damn TV show.

Couchie, ldyj, lilyshine, and I are in Row B Mezz. 101 -104. Kimiye and playbiller are also on row A Mezz. according to other boards. And merrieeee!

YAY, FCA is in the house! :cheerleader:

Great we will all be close. Can't wait to see all of you! :yahoo:

Is it really jmh123's birthday? If so, hope you had a great day! :balloons: My day was very interesting......saw a lot of people who I haven't seen in years, including my ex's brothers' ex's, if that make sense. It was a sad occasion, but kind of cool to meet up with old friends. Too bad it couldn't have been under better circumstances.

:GM_FCA:

Last day of vacation..boy, I really could get used to not working. It was a very nice relaxing week..now back to work tomorrow. Always dread the first day back and seeing the mess on my desk.

We are looking at 90's again all week..had a bit of rain last night, but it really wasn't enough.

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

Thanks for all the birthday wishes! We delayed going out till today, since son and hubby have been busy. Going to try Tibby's New Orleans Kitchen when son gets home from his jazz brunch gig. Not too late, jmh! And happy birthday to you, too!

My presents are the Gala ticket/trip plus my fancy new smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S3). I used to manage servers with far less memory and disk space than this phone. o.0

ETA:

:wub: <------ redecorating

jmh, will I recognize you at the Gala? :huh: My hair gets shorter with each haircut, but I'm not minding it with all the sweating I've been doing.

Oh you will recognize me; I'll be the one with the short grey hair. :P

Funny, I renewed my driver's license on Friday, and noticed that they still have me listed with brown hair. I pointed that out to the lady, but she didn't seem to think it was a problem. I do have a few brown hairs here and there, but to call my hair brown is a real stretch.

Thanks kimiye!! The ever-increasing storage capacities boggle the mind sometimes, don't they? It doesn't seem that long ago that I got so excited about buying a 20 GB external drive to store my growing Clay files. :hysterical: I'll bet those old servers you managed were huge too. Talk about the old days, my brother still works on a mainframe! He says he has job security because his skills are not that common anymore.

Happy belated birthdays to kimiye and jmh! :) Sorry I missed them.

I'm probably the first generation that grew up with computers around for their whole life, and I can say I remember the old computers with very little memory! My cousins had an Apple IIGS that I loved to play games on. I remember playing Zork! LOL When we finally got our own it had the shiny new Windows 95 with a whopping 4GB of space! That was the computer we still had later when I became a Clay fan. I learned really fast about download, burn and delete!

I'm on an Apple Macbook now. 20 years later I came full circle. lol Sadly, my iOS version is slowly getting phased out and I need to upgrade by the end of the year....

jmh, where is that picture from? It's GAH worthy!

A couple of things about how far we've come regarding computers: I visited the Kennedy Space Center 5 years ago, and I remember them showing us the room where they launched the first mission. That entire room had the amount of computing space that we have TODAY in our cell phones. That boggled my mind. Also, I have to totally thank Clay, because I don't think I'd be nearly as computer savy if it wasn't for him. I had to learn how to download videos, the different file types for videos, what the heck a codec was (because one of the first clips I downloaded wouldn't play until I installed a codec!), and so on.

Thanks shortyjill! My mother was actually the first person in my family to have a "personal computer," as opposed to a work computer. She bought an Apple IIE from my cousin who was upgrading. I think G was the next model up from that. Those were the days!

Ldyj, isn't that one nice? I was thinking as I cropped it, what a shame to cut away that long lean hawtness, so I'm happy to post it in all of its glory here. It's from the GLSEN event shortly after CApp.

403397271.jpg

When I was in college, I had a part time job in a computer department. We pulled punch cards to fill orders. I dated a programmer there who used pliers, wires and boards to program the humungus computer. Per Archie Bunker "Those were the days". :P

Thanks jmh! I think that would be a good one for a project I'm planning. I might have mentioned it to you...

You might have... :whistling-1: I think it would be perfect!

Fear, I've typed punch cards, but I sure didn't know they were programmed like that! :blink:

Ldyj, how the heck did they get to outer space with such "primitive" tools?

I remember back in 1983 I was leaving my job to have my first baby and they were just getting in word processors which were supposed to be the wave of the future...I was very skeptical..didn't think anything could be as efficient as a typewriter and I hated the idea. 6 years later when I decided to get back in the workforce, everything was computerized and I realized I was way behind the times..I had no experience on them and it was very hard to get a job. I finally did get a job, but I really had to work on those skills. We couldn't afford a PC until 2000 and by the time AI and Clay showed up I was just getting the hang of the internet and how to actually find a website..I was thrilled when I learned how to sign up for a message board and actually post something, never mind downloading videos. There was a lot of trial and error and closing my eyes and hoping for the best. Can't tell you how long it took me just to learn how to cut and paste! We certainly have come a long way!

Kim

Trying to catch up on everything. Was off line on a bike tour. We did 336 miles in 6 days. Very hot!!

I am in the crowd of not being able to go to the Gala. I actually saved the money then my ski patrol recert fell on the same weekend. That is the reason I got to go last year was because of the date change. You better have great recaps. Do not know what I hit to change the print.

Belated Happy Birthday to jmh & Kimiye!

I remember when we got our first pc and the sales guy for the ISP saying "200 GB per month? You won't be able to use all that!" :rolleyes:

Of course, it was never enough.

I took computer programming in high school. We had to code cards with our programs and hand them in to be run. Fast forward 15 years and my then hubby brought home a PC (without asking, I might add!) I went to classes to learn how to use the damned thing....first Windows, then Internet Explorer. I used it to follow the results from figure skating competitions that I couldn't attend, and also got the "luckiest1" handle back then when I discovered message boards. Then I decided to go to college and get my programmer analyst diploma, and finally here I am working in the programming field. The programmers in our department have recently been given the title "software engineer" which is a bit of a stretch for what we are doing, but hey, I'll take it! ;)

Back to work today after my week off..tough getting out of bed. Going to be back near 100 the next two days..oh joy! Really tired of this weather, what I would give for a nice 70 degree day. So tired of having the house closed up.

Kim

Yikes, no other posts today. And describing my day will surely put anyone to sleep. I spent most of the day dealing with joomla categories and article urls. :856:

Everyone went by different names there, but weren't some of you on the Hub way back when? I was so impressed with the women in the hub because they were all so technologically advanced and knowledgeable. I loved to "listen" to them in chat tossing out geeky terms so expertly. The large number of women geeks has always been an appeal for me of this fandom! Like y'all I have learned so much since 2003, and I got so into it and saw how capable others were, that I was also inspired to learn techie things beyond the Clay world. Didn't make much sense to look for a career in it though, because by the latter half of the 00s, all the tech jobs were gone anyway. Not to mention that I'm old! At an earlier age, and pre-Clay, you could not have convinced me that I had the aptitude--no way!

Good morning! I'm hoping that the painters will finish up today. For some reason the owner has done more than we agreed to. He has repainted walls we painted just a few years ago and they do look so much better. We have a bid from him and he said he wouldn't charge us more. Good thing we have worked with him before on other projects. He knows that we were given his name several years ago by a construction company that used too be a client of mine and has never reneged on a quoted amount. They are doing a great job so we may give them some extra cash for gifts.

I'm debating about whether to get tickets for the PA concert. It's only 80 miles from my SIL's horse farm. But driving around that area at night is like the children of the corn. They'd be very upset if we were that close to them and didn't visit. Did I say we don't get along so well? I think I'll just wait and see what else shows up.

Have a great day!

Looking at 100 degrees again today before the cool off..no rain in the forecast. My husband is finally putting up the new porch lights..than have been sitting in the boxes for about a month now. I am so anxious to get the outside stuff done so we can really start on the kitchen renovation.

Kim