# 63: Clay Aiken for President!

ldyjocelyn

I'm not worried about it. It's just so weird to me. Clay just always seems to get under people's skin and they can't let go. He's the last person on earth that I would think would be so polarizing but it always turns out that way. And Penn seems like the last person that would let that happen. But obviously with his blogs and songs and whatnot, it did.

For me since I already know how far he makes it it's kinda stress free tv.

Supposedly, though -- it's not negative about Clay (although that's relative in the ears of the listener). It's supposed to be his commentary on going through the CApp experience. At least, that's what Penn is saying -- although I do find it interesting timing, because I think the song premieres on Sunday and the rumors are that this is the week that Penn leaves the show, probably due to Clay "throwing him under the bus."

This has got to be the "goofy project" that Penn tweeted about a few weeks ago when he talked to Clay.

Clay just always seems to get under people's skin and they can't let go.

I don't know why he's so polarizing, but I do think that may be my bias. I practically love everything he's done (ie, he's gotten under my skin, hee), and yes, there's just as many that seem to hate him. There has to be middle ground though, right?

I like Penn and I am looking forward to the song and video..I think he and Clay have a lot of respect for each other and I enjoyed watching them work together...I also don't mind Lisa all that much and find Dayana whiny and am really surprised that she is still there. It really is a game show and I just take it as that..people are going to do what they need to do to win and eliminate the competition so I don't take it all that seriously.

Link to Clay's blog..not sure how long it will be up:

http://www.nbc.com/the-apprentice/clays-take/

Clack alert..hope someone in NC is going!

Carolina Theatre ‏ @CarolinaDurham Close

Just got word that Clay Aiken will be @CarolinaDurham tonight for Stuffed & Unstrung. Rumors are that you just might see him on stage!

It's Official!

Stuffed and Unstrung ‏ @stuffedunstrung

@clayaiken makes a special guest appearance tonight @stuffedunstrung @CarolinaDurham 8pm #youdontwannamissthis

After last week's episode, I searched for Stuffed and Unstrung (and also decided to follow them on Facebook!). Saw on their webpage that they were going to be in North Carolina this week, and thought to myself that Clay might show up. Glad to know I was right! Hopefully they will post a few pictures on Facebook soon.

His blog was...interesting. Won't say more than that. Heh.

ETA: I just checked my Facebook, and it was just posted that Clay would be there tonight a few minutes ago.

They also just tweeted that they won't be recording it..so you need to see it live..hope someone in the area can get clack for us!

Kim

Wish I could go but was in that area yeaterday for Mr Fear's checkup in Chapel Hill. I'm basically pooped lately but still trying to get ready for visit from son and girlfriend next week. Now if someone would drive me and put me in a seat, that's a whole other story. :lilredani:

New tweet!

Having a blast with @stuffedunstrung in Durham.#stillnotgoodenoughforacareerchange Thanks for the invite @1PatrickBristow Great show!

A couple of other tweets from those at the show:

Shishir Shonek ‏ @shishirshonek Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Hilarious Elton John story from @clayaiken, esp. his stint as Beatles backup singer. Lots of fun @stuffedunstrung.

Jenifer Anne ‏ @jeniferanne Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Enjoying @stuffedunstrung with @mswindell1978 and others. We even got to see @clayaiken play elton john

Back to Clay:

Such talented folks @stuffedunstrung in Durham pic.twitter.com/sgcFwv6Q

StuffedandUnstrung.jpg

Patrick Bristow, one of the heads of Stuffed and Unstrung (appeared in the episode) just tweeted this:

.@clayaiken @stuffedunstrung Clay rocked the house tonight!

OK, recap. I had gone online earlier and looked at seats, and didn't see any that thrilled me, but found one that was center front row 2nd balcony. I like front row balcony seats. Hours passed, and when I got it in my head that I really might go, I went back and the seat was still in my cart. So I bought it.

I met geekette and her mom (who is absolutely terrific company) at Tomato Jakes for a light dinner and then we were off to Durham. To get to the Clay stuff, it was early in the show that they called Clay up. The MC was Patrick Bristow. Brian Henson was in the audience and was called up to do a skit later. The premise was biography, like A&E biography, and the person chosen from the audience shout-outs was Elton John. So Clay was Elton John. His puppet was one of those fuzzy ones, maybe orange? There were three parts that I can remember (with lots of help from geekette and her mother--immediately after the show I could remember nothing except Elton John and that it was Clay and he was Very good).

In the first, the TV narrator puppet said they were stuck in an air raid shelter growing up in London? and they were starving. The puppets all acted out being starving, and then Clay's puppet said, "Then how come I am so fat?" Next scenario, Elton is a backup (singer?) for the Beatles. They start singing a Beatles song, don't remember which one, and then the narrator says that it wasn't going to work out and he should learn an instrument and Clay said, "I think I'll learn the piano," and started making plinking noises. Then the narrator said he studied for 10 years and now Elton was on a cruise ship singing and playing the piano, and the keyboard player on stage starts to play, and Clay has to make up a song. He started with, "I didn't know I was going to have to sing now, if I'd known I'd have ????? one or two more lines, then he dropped a couple of beats (I think this was deliberate, as everyone held their breath) and "I'd be able to ??? think of a word that rhymes with now." He got a good response from the audience, and was given all the exit lines and the big laugh and applause that goes with that. Knowing when to cut things off really is important in this show, Penn.

Clay was as good as most of them, although there was one woman who really stood out for me. And of course the MC, Patrick Bristow, was excellent. In a lot of ways, he carried the show. He went into the audience a number of times, and brought random people back on stage a couple of times.

At the end, they made up a song about Durham. The new motto of the city was chosen, "smaller than Raleigh," and they included Clay Aiken in the lyrics to that, and he was also mentioned another time at the end by Bristow.

And Clay was sitting where I could see him all night, but far away, and I didn't bring my binoculars and I brought a camera with dead batteries. Bleah. By the time I decided to go, I only had time to shower and dress and hit the road. I couldn't see him well enough to even be sure it was him, but the dark shirt, the hair, the watch, it seemed pretty certain. Oh, and he spent a lot of time during intermission looking at the screen on his phone, maybe texting a little. That's when I first realized he was over there, the glow of his screen caught my eye. Maybe that's when he was tweeting?

Heavens - do I just not know enough about other entertainers, or is Clay really just good most of the live performing arts? Singing (with goes without saying, of course), acting, both comedic and dramatic, a little workmanlike dancing, puppetry; I swear, Penn better hope they don't have to do a magic act because Clay will probably show him up.

I think those in the fandom have known for years that the man is quick on his feet, and really, he's been doing improv for years via his concerts. So, I'm not surprised by that at all. He certainly is multi-talented -- maybe that's why I'm always frustrated when people INSIST he sing on TV shows, when I love his personality just as much.

Actually, I think I've known how fast and funny he was since the beginning of my fandom. Here's the line that sold me on him, first person who can peg it gets an "attagirl" from me (wish I could offer a real prize!):

"Well, if you're here...who's at home?"

Knowing Clay, he'd have magic skills down in no time flat. cryingwlaughter.gif

I think those in the fandom have known for years that the man is quick on his feet, and really, he's been doing improv for years via his concerts. So, I'm not surprised by that at all. He certainly is multi-talented -- maybe that's why I'm always frustrated when people INSIST he sing on TV shows, when I love his personality just as much.

Actually, I think I've known how fast and funny he was since the beginning of my fandom. Here's the line that sold me on him, first person who can peg it gets an "attagirl" from me (wish I could offer a real prize!):

"Well, if you're here...who's at home?"

Knowing Clay, he'd have magic skills down in no time flat. cryingwlaughter.gif

Q&A from American Idol with reporters..it was addressed to a reporter from Raleigh..talk about quick thinking!

Kim