# 64: A super smart, caring, determined, classy, easy-going, and genuinely good, likeable guy

ldyjocelyn

I just saw pics on CV from an interview he did this AM. He looks good!

Grabbed this one off Facebook:

522237_339947459437463_1082005335_n.jpg

Also...

theledger.com

Former "American Idol" Singer Clay Aiken to Perform in Lakeland, Tuesday

Former 'American Idol' Singer Clay Aiken to Perform in Lakeland, Tuesday

By Matt Reinstetle

THE LEDGER

Published: Thursday, November 22, 2012 at 12:01 a.m.

The Christmas Season is upon us, and for some people, a jumpstart is needed to get them into the spirit.

For singer Clay Aiken, performing around the holidays has become something of a tradition to him and his fans. On Friday, Aiken begins his fifth Christmas music concert tour. Aiken said he's been able to work with people who have been there since his very first Christmas tour, and they tell him that it doesn't feel like Christmas unless they're doing the show.

"It kind of starts my season for me," Aiken said in a phone interview. "It gets me in the Christmas spirit and I don't really get into it the years I haven't done it. I don't feel like it's Christmas."

Clay Aiken will take center stage at the Polk Theatre Tuesday as his Joyful Noise Tour comes to Lakeland.

America was first introduced to Aiken during the second season of Fox's musical talent show "American Idol" in 2003. His powerful voice made him an instant favorite on the show and went on to finish first runner-up to Ruben Studdard.

Since "Idol," Aiken has gone on to release six albums, including a 2004 Christmas album "Clay Aiken: Merry Christmas With Love."

Aiken's performance will be a first for Polk Theatre — fan clubs. Leslie Sikora, president and CEO of the Polk Theatre, said they were asked to set aside tickets for Aiken's loyal fans. When tickets went on sale, Aiken's fans, also known as "Claymates," started buying tickets in force.

"I was just really surprised how many people called because I've never dealt with a fan club before, but he definitely has one," Sikora said.

Aiken's Lakeland concert is the fourth stop on a 20-city tour that goes from Friday until Dec. 21. This year's tour includes four Florida stops, the first time Aiken's tour has appeared in the state, with Lakeland being the last leg of his Florida swing.

In years past, Aiken's Christmas concerts have done everything from band accompaniments, to actors and dancers performing, and even snow. Aiken said this year's show will include a full orchestra performing with him and having the orchestra on stage adds to the holiday cheer.

"There's something about the French horn that says Christmas to me," Aiken said.

Earlier this year, Aiken stepped back in front of a camera as he was part of another reality TV show.

"I've gotten used to being in the public eye and that just perpetuated that a little bit, so maybe it wasn't the best choice for me to go on TV again," Aiken said laughing.

Aiken took part in the fifth season of "The Celebrity Apprentice," NBC's business-oriented reality competition hosted by Donald Trump. Aiken and 17 other contestants competed to raise money for various charities. Aiken managed to get to the finals, and finished second to comedian and former talk-show host Arsenio Hall.

"Our purpose behind doing (‘The Celebrity Apprentice') was to let me be seen in a different light," Aiken said. "I've spent 10 years being known as ‘the kid from "American Idol" that sings' and the goal was to try and let people at least think that I'm intelligent. I don't know if I was successful in that, but it was our hope."

Being part of two massive reality TV shows put Aiken in a small group. He said that he still keeps in contact with Studdard and the two speak about once a month.

Last month, Aiken did a fundraiser for his charity, The National Inclusion Project, in which Studdard and Hall performed and hosted.

"When you're with someone in such a controlled environment for as long as we were, you make friends and I guess some people make enemies. I've been fortunate enough that I haven't made too many enemies," Aiken said. "You make friends and they are in a very, very small fraternity with you, so you have a great deal in common."

As Aiken gears up for his new tour, he said these shows have always been about getting the people into the Christmas spirit. Aiken added that he hears about people who enter his shows not in the Christmas spirit, but leave in the mood for the holidays.

"That's kind of the benefit to having the show toward the beginning, like Lakeland does," Aiken said. "The Florida dates are so early that it's a great way to kick-start the holiday and hopefully people will see it that way."

Matt Reinstetle can be reached at matt.reinstetle@theledger.com or 802-7533. Follow Matt on Twitter @LedgerMatt.

Another picture: from WPTV:

691500640.jpg

newsobserver.com

For Clay Aiken, There's No Place Like Home for the Holidays

For Clay Aiken, there’s no place like home for the holidays

By Brooke Cain -

bcain@newsobserver.com

Published in: Music

When Clay Aiken takes the stage at DPAC next week, it’ll be for a holiday tradition he’s more than happy to resume.

Aiken, who rose to fame as the runner-up on the 2003 “American Idol” season, headlined Christmas concert tours for four straight years, from 2004-2007, before making the jump to Broadway with a starring role in “Spamalot.” This year’s 20-city Joyful Noise tour is the singer’s first swing back into holiday music since then.

“I’m glad to be getting back to it for the first time in five years, because it’s always my been my favorite show to do,” said Aiken, a Raleigh native who now lives in Durham. “It’s not really Christmas for me unless I do this show, and so I’m happy that Christmas is back to normal for me now.”

This year’s Joyful Noise shows will be a little different from Aiken’s past Christmas concerts, he promises.

“We change the concept of the show every year,” he said. “It’s been everything from me and a five-piece band and bantering with the audience and singing Christmas songs, to a few years back when I had the choir from Stough Elementary and the choir from Southeast Raleigh High School come in and perform with me. One year we did it with actors and dancers and a big production, and the next year we kind of stripped it down.”

“This year is more of a return to the roots,” Aiken said. “It’s a little more laid-back, sort of an ‘evening with’ atmosphere. But, we’ve got an orchestra – the strings and the horns and all that jazz – which kind of makes it more lush, and I think adds to the Christmasy-ness of it.”

Christmas music is definitely close to Aiken’s heart. He released his first Christmas album, “Merry Christmas with Love,” in 2004 and it sold more than 1 million copies. He followed that with an EP of four Christmas songs, “All is Well,” in late 2006.

Aiken has sold more than 6 million records total, starting with “Measure of a Man” in 2003. His memoir, “Learning to Sing,” made it to the No. 2 spot on the New York Times bestseller list in 2004. He also made the Forbes Magazine list of the 10 Top-Earning American Idols.

Losing to Arsenio

Earlier this year, Aiken was a contestant on “Celebrity Apprentice” on NBC. And just as he did against Ruben Studdard on “American Idol,” Aiken again came in second place. He lost out to former talk show host Arsenio Hall.

“I think that’s just my lot in life,” Aiken joked. “I think second place is really where I belong. And I will never get in a competition with a black man again, that’s for sure.”

Even though the Christmas shows change from year to year, Aiken says fans at Thursday night’s DPAC show can expect to hear old favorites mixed with a few surprises. “The overwhelming majority of the songs are from my Christmas album and Christmas EP, and some are songs I love and do every year,” he said. “This year we have some I haven’t done in a while.”

The next Andy Williams?

There is no new Christmas album in the works for Aiken presently, he says, but he doesn’t rule it out.

“We’ve talked about it a few times,” he said. “That’s kind of my wheelhouse, I guess. That sound. And it’s something that I love doing.”

Aiken says there are plenty of Christmas songs he loves and would like to record. His manager (and fans) would love to see it happen.

“My manager has said in the past that I should just become the new Andy Williams and be all about Christmas every year,” Aiken said. “It is something we have certainly discussed, maybe for next year. I’d love to do it again.”

Cain: 919-829-4579

Unfortunately the flu shot doesn't cover all strains, so one can have the shot and still get the flu. A few of the patients coming to our office still ended up with the flu in spite of having the shot. Ya takes yer chances!!! Hopefully he'll get plenty of rest and fliuids in between shows and fight off whatever he's brewing.

The clip from the orchestra is a real teaser and now I can't wait to get to my show. My daughter warned me to stay away from the computer,she likes to be surprised.Unfortunately that doesn't work for me when Clay is invloved. ( I just won't tell her I peeked...he,he) :cocktail:

I'm only catching up myself, had a girls night with some good friends over a few bottles of wine...great catching up but what a night to do it! lol But I just saw this setlist on CV, I'd like to know what the "???" is but overall, I love this setlist! I do wonder though if he'll change it up later.

All is Well

Christmas Waltz

???

O Holy Night

Mary Did You Know

O Come, O Come Emmanuel

Hark The Herald Angels Sing/O Come All Ye Faithful

Welcome To Our World

Sleigh Ride/Jingle Bells/Wonderland

MCWL

"What Are You Doing New Year's Eve"

The First Noel

I'll be Home for Christmas/Chestnuts Roasting (The Christmas Song)

My Grown Up Christmas List

Don't Save it All for Christmas Day

Encore:

All Year Long

I was fortunate enough to talk to a friend who won a M&G tonight too when she called me after. Doesn't seem like Clay was too chatty with his flu but I hope that means he's taking it easy and saving himself for the shows.

He looked stunning. Very thin and the hair was beautifully cut. Even though he was ill he sang really well with only a few bobbles! He is such an entertainer and he held the whole show by himself with only backing tracks. I sat there wishing every one could listen to the purity of his voice.

I loved it....yes even the stories! He came really close to us and wow he just took my breath away...he was glowing and yes he did give us the "look", he has beautiful skin. His banter was good but kind of what we have heard before. He really can think quick on his feet if he has too!

I just love him.

Run, don't walk, to watch the clack that is being uploaded. He is totally glowing, looks amazing, and sounds better than ever! I am going to leave myself unspoiled for All Year Long, but the rest, probaby not. I have no will power.

Via CV from tonight's show, four different outfits:

PBS Suit

Black Tuxedo pants with Green Broadway home Jacket

Tuxedo Jacket with PBS Pants

Sweater vest over purple shirt with rolled up cuffs over the PBS pants.

The show tonight was pretty darn awesome. Cannot wait for my show!

Oh, and the new song for the encore is really, really pretty...

Much of Scarlett's clack from last night:

"All Year Long," Sarasota by Scarlett.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-CBtzixZRg&feature=youtu.be

"Don't Save It All For Christmas Day," Sarasota by Scarlett

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSII6OnCec4

"The First Noel," Sarasota by Scarlett.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTiiAkY4wS4...eature=youtu.be

"Jazzy Medley," Sarasota by Scarlett. "Sleigh Ride;" "Jingle Bells;" "Most Wonderful Time Of The Year;" "Winter Wonderland."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1y7UEAJ1Zw...eature=youtu.be