# 64: A super smart, caring, determined, classy, easy-going, and genuinely good, likeable guy

ldyjocelyn

Welcome to our World

I fell in love with this song the first time I ever heard him sing it; he sang it so tenderly and with such emotion. Of course then we found out later that was the time that he knew that Parker was on the way and it made sense why it had such meaning for him.

This one is quickly becoming one of my favourite Christmas songs, and I was thrilled he sang it on this past tour.

Oh Girl

One of my favorite songs from the 70’s..I remember singing along to the radio in my room to this song..it is just one of those songs that you have to belt out and really get in to. Clay sang this on Hometown Connection.

I love this one so much too! He also sang it on the Jukebox Tour once, when someone put a quarter in. LOL

I Can’t Make you Love Me

He sang a partial version early on in the JBT and it was just wonderful and then as the tour progressed he added a full version.

Seriously, did you peek at my list? Hee. I almost included this too.

5. Unchained Melody, David Foster Gala version

"I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED" ; Need I say more?

I love this version too!

6. Listen w/ Quiana, Sterling Heights

He was less than 10 feet from me, with one of my best friends next to me. We knew it would be special from the moment they started talking about it. It holds a very special place in my heart, and Clay and Quiana were effing fantastic to boot!

This is one of my favourite tour moments, ever!

9. Sacrificial Love

I don't normally gravitate to slower songs but the pain in the lyrics and the beauty and simplicity of the music latched onto me and I have loved it since.

Me too.

10. Forget I Ever Knew You

I liked the song from the girl's demo we heard ages ago, and I was so happy to see it made at least one version of OMWH's cut.

Another one of my favourites. I don't remember any girl's demo though?

11. Celebrate Me Home

I think I ended up loving this song from the Clack more than anything... I really just loved the snow falling on stage and how pretty it was, Clay's singing and occasional super hot growls made it even more worth it. Now I can't go a Christmas season without listening to it and I wish he would sing it again!

I would give anything to hear him sing this again. I love the versions with the growls the best, and also the ones where someone has kindly editted out John's lines in the middle. ;)

13. Hallelujah w/ Quiana, NIP Gala 2011

I listen to this on repeat. HALLELUJAH!!!!!

I'm loving all the choices, but I'm also trying not to let them influence me either! HA HA!

Clay's been busy tweeting today.

Worth a read! Lazy Corporate Monopolies Are Why America Can't Have Nice Things huff.to/WIAcDC
Never too early to think about the one you love. Send an "Inclusion-gram" to your special someone for Valentine's Day -inclusionproject.org/news.php?id=179
YES! How's right after MLK Day?! RT @Tiffanylovesc: @clayaikenCan you please do a video chat soon? Missing you

EEEEEEEEEEEE for a new video chat!

Seriously, I didn't look at your list, LOL! I am loving reading everyone's though..brings back lots of memories.

Yay! for a video chat..I was actually thinking maybe in Feb around Valentine's Day, but sooner is better!

Kim

10. Forget I Ever Knew You

I liked the song from the girl's demo we heard ages ago, and I was so happy to see it made at least one version of OMWH's cut.

Another one of my favourites. I don't remember any girl's demo though?

I honestly can't remember where at the time I was reading but someone found a girl's demo recording of it on MySpace and made a download of it..I think I still have it somewhere too.

Thanks for your list Luckiest. Surprisingly I thought I would be doing mine at the end of the month but I've got my 20 songs. Now I have to break it down to 13 LOL. That might take some time. My main problem right now is that I can't find either one of my copies of Tried and True. And my downloaded version is on my broken computer. I'm gonna have to tear my house apart!

1. Right Here Waiting

My favourite Clay song, bar none. Started loving it on A Thousand Different Ways and sobbed my way through it during the gala of 2008. Also love the version he sang at the David Foster thing prior to ATDW being released.

Not a surprise!!

2. Invisible

Quintessential Clay. The first few notes make the hair on the back of my neck stand up, every time. I loved it in the early years in concert, and I was thrilled when he sang it in Washington at the gala again in 2012. :)

Until the first night of the AI2 tour and him singing this song I didn't even have a ticket to the AI2 show in my area. I think I ened up seeing 4 shows.

3. Both Sides Now

I was in awe of this performance at the gala in 2010. I have watched it/listened to it hundereds upon hundreds of times since. Strangely, it's not a song I really thought much about prior to Clay singing it. I mean, I knew it, I liked it ok, but it never affected me the way it does when he sings it. Every lyric.

I've never heard this. I've kinda gotten out of the habit of downloading clack but I don't like to miss something I've never heard. I'll have to download.

5. Everything I Don't Need

OMG, my favourite song on On My Way Here. My favourite performance from the gala 2008, when he seemed a bit unsure of himself until the "well now" or "well well" (ha ha) part and then we all screamed and he just lit up. I love to watch that clack, or even just listen to it because it makes me grin that crazy grin every time, remembering.

More clack to watch.

6. Solitaire

This was the song that was my fall off the couch moment during AI2. The moment when I was hooked for life. I remember the first time I heard the recorded version, sitting in a new friend's van in the parking lot of the arena in Winston-Salem, NC before the IT concert. It hit me like an airplane taking off!

I pretty much love this song live and watching his dramatics. It's not one I listen to much.

9. Lover All Alone

The lyrics are enough to kill me, knowing that he wrote them, but the performance in Canandaigua in 2007 in the rain was perfection.

2 for 2!!

10. The Real Me

Again, the lyrics are the reason for this one. It just seems so personal (whether or not it really is). And when he sang it in Washington at the gala in 2012 and added the extra line at the end, it was so special.

Hey Wait..>I was at the gala. What did he add?

11. This Is The Night

Another of my favourite moments (although bittersweet to watch now) from AI2, when he sang this and you could see the raw excitement in his eyes. He generally seems to be able to keep his nervousness or emotions in check when he performs. This is another one that just defines him, it's where he came from, and it's special when he sings it now.

Yes he's one of those people who take the stage and bam they are at home.

12. I Survived You

This one also seems quite an emotional song for him, but that's probably me projecting stuff onto him. It was quite something to watch him perform at the Dorton Arena on the NAT in 2004. He put so much emotion into it! Still wish I could have been at the gala in 2011 when he performed it again.

I loved how he sang this song during that tour. Definitely a show stopper.

Yay two more lists to read below.

3. Both Sides Now

I've never heard this. I've kinda gotten out of the habit of downloading clack but I don't like to miss something I've never heard. I'll have to download.

Here you go! Please watch.

5. Everything I Don't Need

More clack to watch.

And again! :)

10. The Real Me

Hey Wait..>I was at the gala. What did he add?

He added a line at the very end, and maybe not everyone could hear it because the applause had already started. But he sang the final lyric from the original version, that he never recorded. It was "wonderful, beautiful me, that's what you see". Can you believe it? I was in shock.

:GM_FCA:

12 Days until the Chat!:yahoo:

Make sure you check your Java is updated and you can get in!

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

I'm looking forward to the chat, and it will be interesting to see what he has to say. Of course, he could read the phone book, and I would be happy!

My husband celebrates his birthday this weekend, so I'll be out of touch for much of the weekend (although I'm sure I'll be reading around here). So...I think I'd better post my list now.

Many of my choices aren't necessarily due to the song, per se, but because of either a performance in particular that stunned me or a special memory attached to it.

1. "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?" -- the first time I heard this song, I was driving to work. I almost drove off the road! I immediately said to myself "he was born to sing this song." Such a romantic song, and he sings it so well! I also have to recommend it because it was during the banter before this song that he talked to me and my husband during the 2012 Christmas tour!
  2. "Here You Come Again" -- when he hits those low notes during the song, it makes me shiver. I really wish more people could hear this song, and I was really hoping that this would have been released as a single from ATDW. It's such a radical departure from the original version, and I think it would have gotten some major attention.
  3. "All Is Well" -- the recorded version is stunning. The Merrillville version from 2006 is the best memory I have of Clay.
  4. "Jesus is Love" -- the AMA night was magical. When Clay hit that long note, with the camera swirling around him, I fell off my couch. Amazing.
  5. "Moon River" -- this was my Mom's favorite song, and I really think she would have enjoyed TnT and Clay's version of this song in particular. It's so tender, and yet so winning. I also really remember seeing him sing this live in 2011, sitting on that stool not 20 feet from me. Guh.
  6. "I Survived You" -- I'm sure it was projection, but I always wondered who he was directing the emotion in this song during the NAT. I truly love the performance I captured in Dayton. The joy of being in crappy seats...except that they were great for getting clack via the jumbotrons!
  7. "Weight of the World" -- one of my favorite musical groups is U2, and I've always felt that this song had a U2 vibe to it. This is also the song that really hit me after his coming out, when I listened to OMWH again at that point.
  8. "Bring Back My Love" -- getting to hear this live at the 2011 Gala was amazing. Great glory notes, it's an excellent song!
  9. "Hallelujah" -- again, the 2011 Gala was such a special evening. When I realized that he was singing this song, I think I died inside. OK, so the "dirty" verse is cool, but the reason I love the song is the very first verse. The musical conversation there ("it goes like this, the major fourth, the minor lift") is such a cool lyric to me.
  10. "Invisible" -- this song will always bring a smile to my face. Yes, the lyrics could be stalkerish (but so is "Every Breath You Take"), but I love that to this day, Clay toys with us by doing "the tug." And I love the wail during the final chorus!
  11. "Perfect Day" -- such a joyful song, IMO. Past that, I really don't know how to sum up why I like it so much, I just do!
  12. "In My Life" -- Clay sings the Beatles. It's a beautiful song, and his tenderness and emotion made me tear up when I heard him do this live.
  13. "Mack the Knife (AI version) -- I remember when this was announced as Paula Abdul's choice for Clay to sing; I was like "yes!" I totally agreed with Paula, he made this song very cool. Reading later that people were aghast at her choice surprised me. I thought he knocked it out of the park that night with that performance.

This list might change tomorrow. *g*

Gotta say I love all your choices, ldyj! Moon River almost made my list, too. In fact, I just arrived here at work, but first I had to sit in my car in the parking garage and listen to the final verse of Moon River on TnT to start my day off on the right foot. *g*

11 Days until the Chat! :yahoo:

Make sure you check your Java is updated and you can get in!

Kim

10 Days until the Chat! :yahoo:

Kim

Debbie Gibson posted this on her "year in review" (located here: http://www.tiki-toki.com/timeline/entry/83157/Debbies-Year-In-Review/#vars!panel=782628!)

debbieclay_zps4aeb9c27.png

Also, two new tweets:

Hello lovely! xoxo! :-) RT@wayuuprincess: Thinking about you @clayaiken Big kiss!

And then a retweet from Patricia Velasquez (@wayuuprincess):

Help me improve the lives of Latin-American indigenous families.thndr.it/UGwZtJ

Hello my lovelies! :hello:

I went back to work this week - half heartedly, but I am sure I will get back into it soon.

We are going through a heatwave right now and I am hiding out in the house with the air con on. Seems like I need to investigate everyones song choices!

9 Days until the Chat! :yahoo:

Kim

Aikim's list...

Welcome to our World

I fell in love with this song the first time I ever heard him sing it; he sang it so tenderly and with such emotion. Of course then we found out later that was the time that he knew that Parker was on the way and it made sense why it had such meaning for him.

How is it that that 3 lists in there are 2 songs I've never heard?

Oh Girl

One of my favorite songs from the 70’s..I remember singing along to the radio in my room to this song..it is just one of those songs that you have to belt out and really get in to. Clay sang this on Hometown Connection. I made a CD once of favorite songs and this was the first one. It is on youtube. His rendition is just as good as the Chi-lites and was the first time I realized what a powerful voice he has and he was only 19-20 when he sang it.

Yes he had quite the voice early on. I love though how has it has matured and gotten richer and more nuanced over the years. As the Twop AI said (the only thing I probably ever agreed with about any show they recap) he had the fying pan of talent.

I Can’t Make you Love Me

He sang a partial version early on in the JBT and it was just wonderful and then as the tour progressed he added a full version. For some reason this was the song that inspired people to yell out “I love you” Clay during the song so it ended up with a long piano introduction so people could get out their professions of love before he began singing. I remember at the Indy JBT shushing a couple of young girls who were yelling out during the song. It is such a powerful love song and he does a wonderful job with it.

ha ha..yes I remember the yelling out I LOVE YOU CLAY during this song.

To Love Somebody/Grease

The night I totally believed that he would win the show..there was no way he couldn’t. Absolutely showed his versatility and sexiness and I was thrilled that he finally let himself go a bit. The hip shake was so darn cute!

He sang To Love Somebody at the gala. My life was complete! During AI this is when I had to lay low on TWOP because the emotions from the fans were too schizoid for me. There was much fear that the little hip shake was going to get him booted LOL.

Those Magic Changes

Played this to death when the clack first surfaced..totally an “OMG” moment for me.

Make that 4. I see this on youtube as the Broadway comes home thing. I'll check it out today. edited to say..I listened..thanks Aikim.

Oh Beautiful Star of Bethlehem

Such a beautiful tribute to his Papa and just a moment I will never forget. I play this song often

Yes! I listened to this show on cellcert. It was very very clear. It felt like I was in the room. Surely one of the most emotional moments ever.

Thanks Shortyjill. Love your list. It reminded me of some songs that I need to find again. Clay has so many songs that it's tough to get them all back. When my first ipod crashed and burned I lost a lot of the little treasures. I'll have to go to the vault and get some of them back! e.g. Listen, O Little Star of Bethlehem.

1. Invisible

This is the song that started it all for me. I didn't jump on the bandwagon until January of 2004. Back then I was listening to music totally opposite to this, alt rock bands like Trapt, A.F.I. and Story of the Year. An artsy online friend of mine was a huge fan and eventually made me download this song.... it was poppy and catchy...and somehow I loved it. Didn't help that Clay was too cute to ignore. *g*

LOL that an artsy online fan got you involved. I've never heard of your rock bands LOL.

ETA: Just listened to the Clio version again, GOOSEBUMPS!! Every time!

I've gone back and listened to a lot of things as well.

3. Back For More, GMA version

I mourn this song. I loved it from day one, loved all the Clack of it. Cheesy be damned, I say we lost a treasure.

yes you and a lot of people. I think it's one of the fandom's favorite songs. It was fun in concert.

5. Unchained Melody, David Foster Gala version

"I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED" ; Need I say more?

Ha ha..>David had fun with that one.

6. Listen w/ Quiana, Sterling Heights

He was less than 10 feet from me, with one of my best friends next to me. We knew it would be special from the moment they started talking about it. It holds a very special place in my heart, and Clay and Quiana were effing fantastic to boot!

Oh I remember this. Yes this was fantastic. Wow,something I haven't listened to in forever.

8. Where I Draw The Line

Again, seems like he has a lot of emotion in this one. I could listen to it on repeat for a full day and not get sick of it.

One of my favorites... in my 20 which I'm still paring down.

11. Celebrate Me Home

I think I ended up loving this song from the Clack more than anything... I really just loved the snow falling on stage and how pretty it was, Clay's singing and occasional super hot growls made it even more worth it. Now I can't go a Christmas season without listening to it and I wish he would sing it again!

Wow, where was this from. I haven't heard it in forever. The first JNT or the Christmas special? ...DUH... JNT05.

13. Hallelujah w/ Quiana, NIP Gala 2011

Okay so I do have this cliché thing where I tend to love the last thing someone puts out but this one is different. I have never liked this song by anyone. I found it boring and confusing and could fall asleep to it (yes, even to K.D. Lang's who's voice is amazing but doesn't capture me, and I watched her performance of this at the Winter Olympics). Last year when everyone raved, I rolled my eyes. I just didn't see how, even with Clay singing it, that I could like it. Then we got the leak. I have changed my mind on this one SOLELY due to Clay. It is RARE for me to change my mind on a song and this is a HUGE exception. I can't put my finger on why I love this version, but I do (the harmonies? the arrangement? just the vocals?). In fact, it was one of the first songs that came to mind when Couchie suggested this challenge and it is a major thing for me to have included this.

Although I seem to have missed all the other songs from this gala I did listen to this one because I love the song so much (And K.D. Lang was absolutely magnificent and I can't find the olympics version. I think they take it off youtube as soon as it goes up. Was this song available to you all in Canada?

8 Days until the Chat! :yahoo:

Kim

Hello gang! My husband had a great weekend celebrating, and now it's back to the grind for both of us.

And for me...that means going back to school! I'm officially looking at getting a Certificate of Advanced Studies in Library and Information Science via online classes. (Think of this certificate as a doctorate without having to do a dissertation.) In order to see if I'm ready to tackle school again, I'm taking an online-only class through my community college -- 20th Century Humanities.

Why am I telling you this? Well, because this means I very likely will be checking in less and less around here. Between working fulltime and this class, I will be busy. (I still don't know how people work full time, take classes and have kids besides!). Therefore, be patient if news doesn't make it here right away, or if I don't post Clay's latest tweets immediately. It's going to be a hard habit for me to "break," as I like bringing stuff here. However, for my sanity, I'm going to have to cut back.

I encourage others here to venture out and bring news from other places. I know, some of the boards can be a bet scary, but think of it this way -- we all love Clay. Period.

And of course, now that I've said this, Clay will probably appear and announce a new album, a new tour, and a new boyfriend. All in the same week.

7 Days until the Chat! :yahoo:

Kim