# 64: A super smart, caring, determined, classy, easy-going, and genuinely good, likeable guy

ldyjocelyn

Weeeeell kinda glad I missed everything so I can just catch up all at once! LOL Love the recaps and tweets :) I probably won't get to Fear's video till tomorrow/later today but I'll be looking forward to it!

:GM_FCA:

15 Days until Clay is on stage in NC! :yahoo:

18 Days until Clay is on the Office! :yahoo:

Happy Birthday to all celebrating!

Everyone have a great day!

Kim

More recaps, this from Karma4Clay at the CH:

I don't know how much has been posted where about Master Class but I figured since there were so few of us there, I might be able to remember a few things that others didn't. And so as much as I don't really enjoy posting recaps -- I thought I would share some of my memories of the day.

A lot of this is free-flow, from my journal entry...so please bear with me if it's a little scattered and random.

Best money I ever spent on a 'Clay event'. Would have paid ten times as much if I knew what it would be like. And while he didn't “sing” per se, he did runs and phrases right and left whilst demonstrating for students and sent a more than a few goosebumps running up my arm.

In the first 30 (or 40?) minutes or so Clay talked about auditioning and shared some anecdotes from his Idol journey. From the "Sing something else, that's stupid" story to being next to Keith in line in Atlanta and thinking "What in WORLD...?!!" when he was put through, too.

I can't remember enough to go into all the different things he said to the kids, but suffice it to say he was mostly very gentle and tried to accent the positive if they were mediocre (a few were) and was a little more direct and forceful if they were good (but he was always constructive).

One of the things he advised was that whenever possible to sing songs that you know. WELL. And them he proceeded to talk about what happened with Vincent. (One of the few songs on Idol he didn't know - along with At This Moment). Anyway, when deciding what parts to sing on his 3 songs. etc, he’d been on his hometown visit and was therefore dealing with arrangements etc over the phone. Since he didn't know Vincent he had persuaded the MD to shave some 30 seconds off of Vincent and use it on Unchained Melody. So that’s what he practiced. But when he got back, and Nigel heard it during dress rehearsal, he wasn't happy... “No, no, no, you can’t do that….it’s disrespectful to the songwriter to sing so little of the song”. So Clay had to put a verse back in. Well, we all know what happened. He missed his intro into that verse (even though they had given him the lyrics on the teleprompter). I remember how devastated (and angry) we all were but what we didn't know was that Nigel was devastated too, after the performance. Clay said he was actually crying thinking that he was responsible for Clay getting sent home because he made him put that part back in. And he ran over to Randy and told him not to mention the screw up. BUT, the message didn't get relayed to Paula and Simon. (Me: Thanks, Randy!)

Trying hard to remember parts that I really loved about today—there were so many of them!

Ah! “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me”…Clay had wanted to sing that the first live show (not Open Arms) but they couldn't get it cleared. Clay explained that because Idol was so new; and back then it was getting some bad press – because artists didn't want their songs ruined (and thus remembered as being sung by) bad amateur singers. Ergo, a lot of music didn't get cleared. But after he got cut, and came back for the wildcard, Debra Byrd (who apparently had some connection to Elton as a back up singer) put in a call to him and assured him that that Clay would NOT ruin his song. So he cleared it for Clay to sing for the wildcard show. And the rest, as they say, is history.

Another favorite moment was at the end of Clay’s opening talk, when Allison decided to channel James Lipton and do his famous 10 questions from Inside the Actor’s Studio.

Clay answered (when he answered) as follows.

What is your favorite word? I don’t know…(slightly exasperated)

What is your least favorite word? Interview

What turns you on? Nothing much *beat* lately. (she didn't say the spiritually...etc part of the question.)

What turns you off? Interviews.

What sound or noise do you love? (Looked over at Faye) My Mother would say the sound of my own voice.

What sound or noise do you hate? (Can’t remember if we got an answer to this one, Sorry)

What is your favorite curse word? (Story interjection,) “Mercy!” I have a son now, and I so I say “Mercy!!” (This in his strongest accent). He said that Parker says it now, but it’s not really a cuss word –(looked at Faye). But that he had to stop saying the F word, so now he says Mercy.

What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Really thinks about this. Asks her to come back to it.

What profession would you not like to do? Long pause. “I guess I wouldn’t like picking up garbage”

Return to previous question. “I used to think I’d like to be a politician’. Beat. Let’s just leave it at that.

If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Take a nap.

That's all I've got. Hope there were a few items that weren't covered by others. I had such an incredible day. The setting was so casual (at least for us not performing) and intimate that it was really one of my favorite experiences EVER in the last ten years. And that's saying something!

So happy to see some old friends today; lovely to share this day with you. **waves**

Other recaps, collected from Quiet1ne:

Another thing I thought was interesting was that Clay had to intervene for TCA and Idol to get songs approved. Idol wanted to put Invisible in the background for the package for Clay. He ended up having to call to get it approved at the last minute.

One of the main differences that Clay pointed out to several was not holding the notes so long at the end of a line and "chopping" them off a little shorter for Pop. It made a big difference. He also said that enunciation was more important in the Broadway style than in the Pop style.
Rather continuing to go through all 13 singers, I'll just point out some o Clay's comments to them.

To a young guy who sang StandBy Me, Clay said he sang the song so flat, he thought it was a new song. He asked the kid, who emphasized that he was at Leesville HS, to sing a different song. The guy sang a Queen song and Clay praised him for singing a song he knew well.

To a young girl wh came dressed in a team outfit and apologized for not dressing better, Clay said never apologize during an audition, no matter what.

Another 16 year old had a gorgeous voice but sang to a cd. Clay told her to use a pianist and to sing something unexpected and more difficult. She sang What I Did For Love. He said singing something so familiar puts her in the "another pretty white girl with a good voice catagory."

A shy young women was told by Clay that she did everything right except in her introduction of herself and the song. She needs to present herself as confident even if she isn't.

A female college acting major was told to look at the audience, even if very close up. Clay discussed how they taught him to look in the camera at AI in order to connect with the tv audience and they all became really good at it. Now he realizes he shouldn't always do this. He still feels uncomfortable looking at the front rows and if it's a table with a few peple there, he dies.

With the eleven year old girl, he explained why they decided to let her participate. He said she had an amazing voice for someone so young. This is when he mentioned the Voice for kids and that it would be on later this year.

Clay often demonstrated what he wanted from the kids and it really seemed to help them. He made sure that none were offended by his criticisms. And when giving examples of poor techniques he was not talking about them. He gave them audition tips as well as singing pop vs Broadway.

This was a wonderful insight to musician Clay. He is most definitely an accomplished musician.

A little more about the youngest (11 yo) singer. She played the guitar really well and sang an Adele song. Clay asked if she could sing anything else. Her mom prompted her to sing Amazing Grace. She sang really well and even had a different arrangement where she added another song to it. Clay asked her who she listened to. I know she said Taylor Swift and a couple of others. He suggested she listen to them and find some of the things she liked about the way they sang and try to incorporate it into her performances and then find her style. (In other words I think he was trying to get her to be more her age and more current. Of course I could be really out in left field here.)

We spoke to her and her mom walking through the parking lot. Her mom was thrilled that The Voice was going to have a kids version because she was too young to try out for the other shows.

When he was getting them to belt out the higher notes. He told them not to worry if they hit the note or not, that they just needed to sing them louder. He mentioned his missed note at a concert and how bad it was.

More recaps, this from Karma4Clay at the CH:

When he was getting them to belt out the higher notes. He told them not to worry if they hit the note or not, that they just needed to sing them louder. He mentioned his missed note at a concert and how bad it was.

Aw...if it's the note I'm thinking of, I recall in a later performance how he crossed his fingers and then NAILED that rebellious note to the wall. Nailed it to the wall and slapped it upside the head 'til it begged for mercy. hee

:hi:00lsee The man can sing and knows his music. I doubt that a very small portion of fans who critique his voice or his music know a fraction of what he does about music. I was amazed at any rate.

Have a great day today. Home inspection of our house today, so we will be out and about with our cat, Simba.

15 Days until Clay is on stage in NC! :yahoo:

17 Days until Clay is on the Office! :yahoo:

Kim

Audio has surfaced of the first portion of the master class from Saturday. It's in the CV and CH vaults. There was a second portion, but that involved the kids and the CH isn't vaulting that.

14 Days until Clay is on stage in NC! :yahoo:

16 Days until Clay is on the Office! :yahoo:

Kim

Very cool!

enewschannels.com, a press release site

The National Inclusion Project, Co-Founded by Entertainer Clay Aiken, Announces It Is Recipient of JL Simmons Nonprofit PR Grant

The National Inclusion Project, co-founded by entertainer Clay Aiken, announces it is recipient of JL Simmons NonProfit PR Grant

by Aria Munro on Tue, 23 Apr 2013

CHARLOTTE, N.C. /eNewsChannels/ — The National Inclusion Project, co-founded by entertainer Clay Aiken, is pleased to announce it is one of 10 recipients for 2013 of Neotrope’s annual J.L. Simmons Non-Profit PR Grant award. With this commitment, Neotrope® will provide public relations (PR) and cause-marketing support to the National Inclusion Project over the next year.

This grant will assist the National Inclusion Project in their mission of bridging the gap that exists between young people with disabilities and the world around them. They partner with communities and programs to teach others how to be inclusive so that kids with and without disabilities can experience life-long benefits.

“We are grateful to have Neotrope help us raise awareness of the benefits of inclusion and to ensure that no child sits on the sidelines. Their services will be extremely helpful as we plan our 10th Anniversary Champions Gala, October 12th in Charlotte, N.C.,” says Tonya Gillham, Director of Development and Marketing for the National Inclusion Project.

As part of this in-kind grant program, Neotrope® is providing PR solutions, news dissemination (through its Send2Press® Newswire service), online advertising, and social media marketing for the National Inclusion Project. This cause-related marketing program is intended to help raise awareness of the 501©3 non-profit to traditional media, to the public, as well as to potential sponsors and donors, regarding their efforts.

“We’re honored to be providing assistance to such a worthy cause as the National Inclusion Project, in both sharing their successes and recognizing this milestone 10th anniversary year for their programs,” said Neotrope CEO, Christopher Laird Simmons; a member of PRSA and ASCAP. “As their name suggests, they have done an admirable job of bringing kids together, and helping to make safe spaces for children who may often feel left out of activities other kids take for granted. And by educating parents and families on the value of inclusion, they give all kids courage to share and grow and better understand that we’re all different, but we’re also all the same in so many ways. All of our staff thought this was a wonderful cause, and was top of our choices this year to support.”

Copyright © 2013 Neotrope® News Network – all rights reserved.

I have never seen The Drowsy Chaperone, so has anyone here? Will Clay have to tap dance like that? :lol:

ETA: Just read the article above. Way to go for NIP! I hope they get tons of exposure over the next year!

13 Days until Clay is on stage in NC! :yahoo:

15 Days until Clay is on the Office! :yahoo:

Kim

Woo hoo! I might recap Saturday's event soon. All of a sudden lately I have lots of things going on, but I think after tomorrow it'll slow down again for a bit. Lots of good recaps have been posted and I can't think of much if anything that someone didn't already say, but I'll see what comes to mind when I can reflect back on it if my head ever clears. At the moment, and for a little longer, I'm putting up the news on the website I volunteer for. Every month at the end of the month we update for the following month, and also the calendar, which you can link to the news article once you have made an entry. It's a busy place, lot going on. Still have stuff to do with that tomorrow. And a dinner with very old friends visiting from California.

The event is totally etched in my memory somewhere; I can still see moments. It was pretty darn cool, like everyone says. But it wasn't a performance; he had turned the charisma meter way down. That in itself was interesting to see--more like the Clay we get glimpses of behind the scenes. Serious (but never without a joke), earnest, very attentive to the students, a very sharp observer with useful suggestions that yielded immediate improvement in nearly everyone. He didn't ignore us; I felt like we were all in it together trying to make the best possible experience for those kids. It was fun watching him interact with Alison, and Faye was there; he addressed both Faye and Alison in a teasing and sassy manner. You could almost see the smart-ass kid he describes in his book. But of course they were and are huge supporters for him, women who got him where he is, and he clearly knows that too. See, I'm getting all philosophical. Ah well. Soon.

12 Days until Clay is on stage in NC! :yahoo:

14 Days until Clay is on the Office! :yahoo:

Kim

Thanks for the "sorta recap" jmh! I really wish I could have attended this, because I'd like to see a better glimpse of that non-performer side of him. Someday, maybe, with a M&G...

New tweet (and a cryptic one at that):

Three thousand, five hundred, & forty-eight!!!

Is it a line from the play?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Also...found on CV, a tweet from thatwritingchick:

#TBT These were my 2 faves long before they made the final two! cc: @arseniohall @clayaiken @sassmastermk pic.twitter.com/z0wdUo29SX

BItxr3hCYAAm1_4_zps556ed796.jpg

Looks like Clay was trying to photobomb Arsenio... Very cute!

11 Days until Clay is on stage in NC! :yahoo:

13 Days until Clay is on the Office! :yahoo:

Kim

New tweet:

Sad to hear of the passing of the great George Jones, Soundtrack to much of my childhood. We'll lay a wreath upon his door. Rest in peace.

RIP George. My husband and I got to see him last year during his final tour.