January through March 2013

ldyjocelyn

Mountain Xpress

Clay Aiken Will Perform at T. Cooper Book Event

Clay Aiken will perform at T. Cooper book event

By Alli Marshall on 01/17/2013 04:12 PM

RealManAdventures.jpg

Malaprop's Bookstore/Cafe made this announcement today: "American Idol pop star Clay Aiken will appear at Malaprop's to sing a song in tribute to our author T. Cooper, who will be presenting his memoir, Real Man Adventures about his female to male transition. 7 p.m., Saturday, Jan. 19."

Real Man Adventures was published by McSweeney's. About the book: "Real Man Adventures is Cooper’s brash, wildly inventive, and often comic exploration of the paradoxes and pleasures of masculinity. He takes us through his transition into identifying as male, and how he went on to marry his wife and become an adoring stepfather of two children. Alternately bemused and exasperated when he feels compelled to explain all this, Cooper never loses his sense of humor."

playbill.com

Clay Aiken and Tony Winner Beth Leavel Will Star in North Carolina Theatre's Drowsy Chaperone

Clay Aiken and Tony Winner Beth Leavel Will Star in North Carolina Theatre's Drowsy Chaperone

By Andrew Gans

February 22, 2013

"American Idol" runner-up Clay Aiken, who was seen on Broadway in Monty Python's Spamalot, will play Man in Chair in North Carolina Theatre's upcoming production of the award-winning musical The Drowsy Chaperone, which runs May 7-12 in the Raleigh Memorial Auditorium at the Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts (formerly Progress Energy Center).

Aiken will be joined by Tony winner Beth Leavel, who will reprise the role of The Drowsy Chaperone that she created on Broadway.

The production will mark Aiken’s return to the NCT stage after performing there during his youth in the 1996 productions of 1776 and Shenandoah.

“The very first time I ever auditioned for anything was when I stepped into an audition for NCT's production of 1776 back in 1996. North Carolina Theatre was my first experience performing on a professional stage," said Aiken in a statement. “It's possible that, had it not been for experience and encouragement I received as a part of this organization, I may never have had the confidence to audition for 'American Idol.' Now, 17 years after my first theatrical performance, I'm happy to be fulfilling a promise I made years ago to return to the stage at North Carolina Theatre.”

“It has always been a dream of ours to have Clay Aiken back on the NCT stage someday. Clay is a remarkable talent and a fine theatre actor - we are beyond thrilled that The Drowsy Chaperone has created this opportunity,” added NC Theatre artistic director Casey Hushion. “We are grateful that Clay has been a longtime supporter and a true friend to NCT and we cannot wait to watch him shine in this incredibly unique role.”

The show-within-a-show (with Tony-winning book by Bob Martin and Don McKellar and a Tony-winning score by Lisa Lambert and Greg Morrison) concerns a show-tune addict (named Man in Chair) who shares with the audience his favorite cast album — 1928's fictional The Drowsy Chaperone. As he plays the record, the vintage musical comes to life around him.

For tickets visit www.NCTheatre.com or call Ticketmaster at (800) 745-3000.