# 65: "Clay Aiken's Not Just Any Joe"

ldyjocelyn

Yeah, the Linda Loveland tweet kind of seals it for me too. I guess it's happening. I can't even bring myself to read the articles, I'm just not into politics at all. Good for him though. I really hope it works out.

Beware. Political thoughts follow. :fncomputer:

When I woke up one morning in 2010 and because of election results realized that life as I was used to would change, politics became one of the most important things in my life. And my fears became reality as NC went from being a state interested in educating our people to one in which it was Important to give tax relief to the wealthy and to deny equality to those who are determined to be unworthy. There is a lot I could do that I haven't but supporting those who care and can do something is my puny way of helping.

If you are fortunate to live in a place where opportunity to grow and be treated as an equal, there is no reason to get interested in politics, but watch out it can change overnight.

• Like 1

So, who said Clay was leaving entertainment? I can't think of anything more perfectly entertaining than Clay running for political office. He'll be in the news, on the shows, and changing his image forever. No way do I think he's done with singing. Did Truman, Nixon and Condi stop playing the piano? Did Bill stop playing the sax? The Singing Senators? And they were all amateurs.

Clay will sing plenty - just not for compensation. I remember when there was consternation that Clay wasn't offered commercials. I think he was and turned them down because a future political career has always been in his bag and he wanted to stay clean and not sell out for money. He never has.

I believe that as long as people don't follow politics and politicians that we're giving the wrong people a free pass to lie, cheat and steal. I'm glad that MY idol has the courage of his convictions to make a positive, progressive difference for all of his life. Clay is unique. The future is wide open. I'm ready for continuing entertainment from the Great Clay Aiken. Can't you see Congressman Aiken singing the National Anthem at Capitol Fourth and at the Ford Theater Holiday Show? Son of a gun, he's going to use that voice all over the place.

• Like 1

Missed this one yesterday at CV...

WRAL news at 6 just talked about Clay running for congress they said that about 10days ago they heard rumlings about him running WRAL emiled him Clay denied running then when asked him about the Washington Blade article today they said he didn't deny running.

So, who said Clay was leaving entertainment? I can't think of anything more perfectly entertaining than Clay running for political office. He'll be in the news, on the shows, and changing his image forever.

[snip]

Son of a gun, he's going to use that voice all over the place.

Feat and kf, I thought of both of you when I first read the Washington Blade piece, knowing how politically active you both are. I would say I'm more "politically aware" than "active," but this brings up something....

I wonder how many fans will now get more interested in politics because of this? Yes, I know -- politics is a dirty, dirty business, and in some ways it's hard to want to be part of it. But as Fear spoke earlier, we all have ways to contribute; if nothing else, to LEARN about the issues and make up our own minds (not just listen to the talking heads). I think that Clay will help at least a few of his fans understand that there are issues way more important than just singing pretty.

I also think that once again, if people will open their minds, they will see that the fans follow a smart man. He's got this reputation from 2003 that he sings well, but he sings songs no one wants to hear, and that's about it. There's so much more to him, and I hope some people will be able to see this. (Apprentice did a similar thing for him, IMO.)

And I'm definitely with kf in the fact that I think "entertainer Clay" will still be out in force! It won't be nearly the amount of singing that "we" are used to, but I really believe the snarkmeister will be out in force, and I ENJOY snarky Clay something fierce.

If this is all true (and should we revive "IIT" again? *g*), he's got a hard road ahead of him. I'm actually not all that worried about people looking into his background. I think my main concern is his ability to deal with small groups of people. We haven't heard as much lately about him having problems with this, so maybe he's figured out the best way to deal with all that.

And to be perfectly honest...many politicians have their "quirks." I can't remember if I recommended these earlier in the week or not, but if you have a few weeks to spare, looking for a good book to read, try Game Change (about the 2008 Presidential Election). I just finished the sequel, Double Down, about the 2012 election. There's lots of fascinating quirks to all candidates (on both sides of the aisle), so in that sense, Clay would fit right in!

Another thought...I think he's been thinking about this for about 6-9 months now. I really feel that his plan (which IMO he spelled out in his blog) was that he was going to do Drowsy, and then start the planning process. Maine and Joseph came along, and it sounded like something he couldn't resist...but it also "sealed the deal" regarding his true passion. In my opinion, he loves to sing and entertain, but he truly loves to help others.

Also to wit...I saw this mentioned on CV last night and had to go find it. Which I did. *g* Posted by canuck2010 @ Jun 17 2013, 08:25 PM.

Bida Manda ‏@BidaManda 2m

#TY @betsyville & @clayaiken for being apart of our evening. There will always be crispy lettuce wraps waiting for you!

This posted by lindylo @ Jun 17 2013, 08:35 PM:

Info about @betsyville - Betsy Conti

http://www.linkedin....conti/6/681/b5b

And this posted by janfan821 @ Jun 17 2013, 08:37 PM):

Betsyville seems to be Betsy Conti -- very impressive resume on LinkedIn. Board member of NC Center for Women in Public Service, worked for President Clinton, etc. I hope Clay knows her.

This lady is mentioned as one of the people he was talking to in the Washington Blade article. These sightings were in June. Kind of makes sense now.

Heck, even the "twitter scrub," which I never really thought of all that much, now makes a heck of a lot more sense!

Anyway...as much as I will miss the voice, I also thank Clay for years of wonderful entertainment, and I look forward to this next chapter.

Clay is and always has been charismatic in the sense of electricity and chemistry and all the jazz. And he's a good man. As Edmund Burke said, "The only thing evil men need to triumph is for good men to do nothing." I'm glad Clay is ready to do something.

LdyJ, I'm hardly "active" at anything these days other than getting to work and back. I was half-assed thinking about retirement and they gave me a big promotion and an offer I couldn't refuse, so I'm staying at it. I don't have the mobility for political action these days, but I'll always offer my opinion.

Yes, politics is a dirty business. Just as it was back in the day of Benny Frankin, T-Paine, Nate Hale, Tommy-Jeff, and the Adams Family. Some people can get together and make things better for everybody. That's what I'm talking about. Those powerful forces that blow no good and focus on our political system .... just fuck 'em and vote their ubiquitous sycophants out of office. And when they are gone, stay awake and aware. Our country's problems can be solved if we elect people who aim to do just that - and work a full work week as a matter of course.

I may not like yard work much, but I know I have to pull weeds so they won't take over the lawn.

Clay could have done almost anything else and I'd follow to the ends of the earth. But politics? He's got a lot of balls that's for sure. I'm just so not interested in following it "closely." Yes I will keep up by summary or some such but won't be clicking on links and reading a bunch of articles/blogs/news reports. And don't get me started on the ignorant commenters. The entire political system is bankrupt and I'm of the mind that one person can't really do anything in this toxic environment. The only time I'm even remotely interested in politics is after a presidential election when all involved are honest for about 2 weeks about what was going on throughout the process. THen it's back to business as usual.

My DH is mr non committal when it comes to Clay. There was an ad for talk shows and I said to him "be prepared for the jokes about Clay". He asked why so I explained what was maybe going on. He said why would they joke about that seems to me he's pretty intelligent and is fully entitled to go for it! I really expected him to say what qualifications does he have in a snide way! Yeah! I think I finally got him trained.

I said I thought the days of flying to see him might be over and he said I bet you'll all get together for the inauguration! Think so?

New tweet from overnight. Betsy Conti mentioned once again:

Dr Vranjes Rosso Nobile is my new favorite thing on Earth. I want to get one for every room! Thank you @betsyville pic.twitter.com/ACdNp0GNC1

BdMbOTuCAAA53vV_zps9a47ad29.jpg

As for me, yes I'm up. My bell choir is playing at church this morning. Pray for me and my husband, and all of my bell choir, as we attempt to get to church in this weather!

Gosh I had to think twice about what I was writing! I've never done that before on silly mundane posts (which seem to be most of mine btw). His maybe being vetted really closely by media etc. is just going to be weird. Do you think they would actually check out fan boards?

Yes! They will definitely check them out. At least his opponents will. There is probably more information out there about Clay than anyone running. Although we aren't usually a fangirlly site, maybe it wouldn't hurt to make old threads private.

Made it home! But it is really nasty out, and we are staying home for the rest of the day! It is a British TV kind of day today -- hubby and I started "Sherlock" last night so we will watch more, plus "Downton Abbey" tonight!

I will have to talk to couchie regarding the old threads....i have wondered about our posting styles, although I am not too worried about us....

Yikes, I see people cleaning up their youtube accounts, boards are making things private, now people are considering changing their posting styles....happy for all those who are happy with these new changes, but I think you'll be seeing less and less of me the deeper we get into this, and the farther away from entertainer Clay we get. Happy I've made some really good (and lasting) friendships in this fandom. I still hold out hope that we will get the odd glimpse of the "old" Clay.

It couldn't be a better time of year for me, because I have so much else going on to occupy my time. Olympics are coming so fast! Clay's tweet last night woke me up. I've seen some interesting interpretations of it today. Seems as though many feel like it was a veiled attempt to confirm the news for "us". Cool, if so. I had no freaking idea what he was talking about at 1 a.m. though! :P

Yikes, I see people cleaning up their youtube accounts, boards are making things private, now people are considering changing their posting styles....happy for all those who are happy with these new changes, but I think you'll be seeing less and less of me the deeper we get into this, and the farther away from entertainer Clay we get. Happy I've made some really good (and lasting) friendships in this fandom. I still hold out hope that we will get the odd glimpse of the "old" Clay.

It couldn't be a better time of year for me, because I have so much else going on to occupy my time. Olympics are coming so fast! Clay's tweet last night woke me up. I've seen some interesting interpretations of it today. Seems as though many feel like it was a veiled attempt to confirm the news for "us". Cool, if so. I had no freaking idea what he was talking about at 1 a.m. though! :P

luckiest, I understand how you are feeling. However, I think we will see "performer" Clay every once in a while. and I have to say that I'm actually kind of enjoying this political Clay, for now. I may not in a few weeks/months though -- we'll see!

Yeah, I just read at CV that the ClayBoard is now going private. If you're registered, you can see everything, but you have to make sure you're logged in. I don't know -- I find it kind of strange that everyone is now rethinking what they've posted over the past 10 years. As someone wise said, you really can't put toothpaste back in the tube! At the same time, I do kind of wish people would have thought about things like this a few years ago, when arrows were being drawn and such. But as I said....too late now.

I'll email couchie about this, but she's really busy at the moment.

Clay's not responsible for anything written or posted by fans. Digging into that would make the perp a laughing stock. Opposition research would be looking for illegal things in Clay's background that they could nail him with personally. Some unreported scandal. What his fans have written on fan sites and message boards isn't on Clay.

This shouldn't cost Clay too much money. All the congressional races in my area have very little TV or radio. It's billboards, printed material, meet the candidate forums, and speeches to various civic, business, union and political organizations in the district. It's shaking hands at the mall. It's glad-handing galore. But mostly, it's NAME recognition.

Clay is local hero in Raleigh. Any attempt to smear him would backfire. It wouldn't happen in the Dem primary, that's for sure. As for the general, the hard-liners on the right supporting Brand X need nothing more than the fact that he is gay.