# 65: "Clay Aiken's Not Just Any Joe"

ldyjocelyn

Couch, the "travel being referred to in the blog, is for the special event (s) that Clay is planning. It's being assumed that there will be at least one, possibly more of these and fans may have to travel.

I'm sure at least some of the worry is caused by the prospect of losing this "culture". Clay was part of most of our lives for 10 years, and the thought of that disappearing is terrifying for some. If you really stop to think about it, we learned how to navigate message boards, traveled to places we never thought we'd go, made friends, shared hotel rooms with complete strangers...the list goes on. After Idol, how many of us ran to our computers and sat for hours and hours. Remember The Aiken Diet? *g* It's making me a little weepy just writing this. While I remember all the fun and wonderful memories, at issue is the potential that we will no longer be making new memories. That, I believe, is why people are worrying and hurting.

I'm glad I stopped in here today :)

Great voices will always find an audience.

Just nominated this for a new thread title.

And that reminds me, current banner needs replacing. Long and narrow works best; we made an exception for this photo. Anybody?

Couchie, I like the same kind of voices. On the Wings of Love has always been one of my Clay favorites. Have you heard Gregory Porter? I keep meaning to post some links. If you haven't heard of him, I will do it, because wow.

You mean THIS Gregory Porter who was at the jazz fest yesterday?

http://www.russianri...gregory-porter/

ha ha.

You know, I am still the same fan of Clay that I always was but the of intensity of it left a long time - when A Thousand Different Ways came out and this fandom lost its collective mind. As you all may recall that's when I was living in the hospital because my mom was very ill. It put things in perspective and helped me set priorities. But I still get the same feeling when I'm listening to Clay perform. I also am so grateful for friends I've made and the fandom too. They allow me to be a part of things even when I can't attend. I noticed even this week Merrieeee and others still offering to make DVD's for people that wanted one. That's a special thing. I still have my first CD that someone sent me with Clay's pre AI songs titled Clay sings for Angela LOL. I just can't get rid of it.

I also feel that facebook has helped me keep up with the real yous, not just that person behind the "Clay" name. I know some of us have had their online monikers before Clay came along (got mine from the very lovely Luca character on ER) but even with the over the topness (and most fandoms are this way) I'm glad I was apart of it. I'm looking forward to what he does next. As I told LadyJ I just hope that 1. we get more than 1 month's notice and 2. it lasts more than a month. With my current state of affairs I need time to plan. I really hope he does something in NYC because that's a place I really want to visit again. Maybe next year I can do another gala. I really enjoyed it last year.

Jamar - I remember the first time I met you in San Diego. It was an instant click! Congrats on all the good things happening with you. I read I read!

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,

Sorry I haven't been here in a while..life has been a bit crazy between work (Got a promotion and the lady who's job I got now has mine and got a demotion and things have been a bit tense to say the least), renovating out kitchen (cooking has become an Olympic even trying to maneuver between boxes, new cabinets, tools and trying to remember where I put everything once I packed stuff up); new grandbaby and baby-sitting and being on call for freaking out new mama's and mama's that have been doing it a while and school with a new teacher who last teaching assignment was teaching 7th and 8th graders and doesn't realize that those methods are little too "young" for older ladies like me going back to school..He must say "our you tracking with me" at least 10 times during class..yeah..this isn't rocket science..we got it..it is freaking Reader's Advisory.

Add to all that the craziness of the fandom right now (there are a few I would like to bitch slap..no names to protect the not so innocent) is it no wonder I have been going through a box of Fanny Mae Mint Meltaways that hubby bought be for my Birthday today..definitely needs a chill and doing nothing day!

Hope everyone is well..still love that Clay guy and thought his blog was heartfelt and I appreciate the heads up. Just hope whatever events he is planning for the end of the year I will be able to attend one. Hoping he is enjoying Chicago..it has been a beautiful week-end.

"Waves to Tijala for kicking my butt and getting me over here"

Kim

• Like 1

I'm really hoping for Chicago...and for more than one reason. One starts with a "Z." Heh.

One of the reasons I'm still a bit "fanatic" regarding keeping up with Clay is that I like to bring stuff over here for the people who can't/won't wade through other places. I think it's nice to have a place where the news and some discussion happens. Not just worrying!

Congratulations aikim on the promotion -- good luck with the office attitudes though. That's a sticky situation, that's for sure! Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Idy I think that's nice you bring stuff over. I haven't been to many of Clays concerts, and didn't make it to Spamalot, Drowsy, or Joseph. I appreciate the thought and effort.

Happy Birthday Aikim!

So...a stupid question: Are there no options for formatting like bolding and no smilies?

Catching up with everyone's posts and I gotta say I agree with everything that's been said, and I'm glad I'm not alone in how I feel. I've pulled back on some of the intensity I had in my personal fandom for Clay this past year, but I've also really found out who I am and what I need and want to do in my life and have started to act on it. I've found it's hard to have a fandom with a busy life but it's nice to come on here and get everything that's going on minus the drama! I appreciate all the efforts of those of you who bring things over. :)

Happy birthday aikim!! And congrats on the promotion!

Idy I think that's nice you bring stuff over. I haven't been to many of Clays concerts, and didn't make it to Spamalot, Drowsy, or Joseph. I appreciate the thought and effort.

Happy Birthday Aikim!

So...a stupid question: Are there no options for formatting like bolding and no smilies?

If you're starting with a new post, click on the "More Reply Options" button; that brings up all the options. If you're replying, to someone, they should all be there. (BTW, "MultiQuote" allows you to quote several people at once, which I really like....)

I'm NOT a banner maker. But...there are all kinds of good stage door pictures out there. For example:

1075356_10200552608240259_1597749297_o_zps83edf5f3.jpg

Or this:

image4_zpsff9a4c38.jpg

Maybe this:

P8110003_zps98221fc1.jpg

I also have a soft spot for this:

3662196f-7472-4ed5-88e9-14524e737449_zps30190134.jpg

And this:

BTcMJEICEAEffp8_zps8ae7474b.jpg

Thoughts?

Thanks Idy, that's what I've done, but the only options that show up for me are "Attach Files". The "Enable emoticons" box is checked. I've been bolding the old way...just good ole HTML code haha! It may be an iPad issue, so I'll try it on my laptop tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

I'm a bit partial to the bottom two...but anything will do. They're all so adorable.

Oh, you're on an iPad! We figured that out a few days ago, and jmh researched that -- when posting on iPad, there are no emoties and formatting. I think it's a glitch with the software. There are several members who post with iPads, so we might need to do an upgrade or something....

Yeah, I figured it was probably an iPad issue. Thanks!

I really need to take a Photoshop class. I've always used Paint Shop Pro, but in the early days I used a scaled down version of Photoshop...Elements maybe? It never would work right on my computer, and that's when I started using PSP.

Time to hit the hay. It's nice to be back.

You mean THIS Gregory Porter who was at the jazz fest yesterday?

http://www.russianri...gregory-porter/

ha ha.

Dang! Haha. An old friend from high school years is his pianist and music director so I discovered Gregory through Chip's Facebook page just as GP was taking off in europe and then Japan and then the US. Although he has been nominated for grammies before so not a total unknown. Just another jazz group playing a NY club regularly and a few gigs around, then, WOW, take off. And so deservedly so. They've been on the road non-stop almost. New album just came out--got it today. Haven't listened yet, but I love the last one. First one is good, but second is the bomb. Love the person too - humble. Preacher's kid (his mom).

I've made banners with Photoshop and if I can convince the guy at work to lend me his CDs to put on my newish computer I'll have another go.. Can you tell me the size of the banner in pixels?

Ooo - i like the ideas. Thanks! The banner doesn't have to be an exact size. Whatever you think looks good. I think we found that it wasn't possible to center it. I need to get on my computer to find out more. I'm on an iPad too.

I learned that the people who make this type of board delberately disabled the editor for iPad! Too buggy. They'll work on it and put it back on their next major revamping of everything. Could be years. Wonder if there is something we could add from another source.

We do have an upgrade that we haven't executed. Which is a bit over my head. Have no idea if it would help, but prolly not. But I'm having issues with the editor on my laptop too - and other little minor bugs.

oOOOOH love the pictures you posted - particularly the top one (brown shirt, great expression on his face!) or the last one that everyone else seems to like. Both expressions are kind of apropos for what's going on this week, IMO. :P Either of them works for me for a banner if someone can make it. Since I got this new laptop (Windows 8, ugh) I have no editing software installed. So great to see so many people checking in here! I will post about my crazy busy weekend once I get to work this morning. Sometimes, I feel like I go to work for a rest.

So, Friday I took the afternoon off to shop for my mom's birthday present, and cut the grass. I started some light cleaning and then Saturday got into the heavy stuff. Also went to the market and grocery store for all ingredients needed for what cindilu2 coined our "Thanks Birthday Going Away" party. My daughter arrived Saturday with a steam cleaner, and we proceeded to do the couches that the dogs have destroyed (what a chore!) and the carpets upstairs. Then I made a broccoli casserole, pumpkin pies and two batches of cupcakes. By the end of all of this, I wasn't even thinking straight, I was so tired, so no wonder the cupcakes didn't exactly turn out the way they should have. :P Sunday was more cleaning (yeah, it was dirty!), preparing veggies, icing cupcakes, and of course the turkey, which was stuffed and in in the oven by 6:10 a.m. There were 10 of us in all at two tables, and we ate on schedule at 1 p.m. Craziness! But we celebrated my mom's 78th, my ex's 50th, my daughter's impending trip to England, and of course, an early Canadian Thanksgiving! It was a great day, it all went off as planned, and I think everyone who was being honoured really enjoyed themselves.

I went to bed for a nap yesterday about 4 p.m. and was in bed for the night by 9:30 p.m. I plan to lay low this week and eat left overs. :cryingwlaughter:

• Like 3

For the life of me, I'll never understand what Clay owes us. It's his life and although I'm quite fond of him , he doesn't have to tell me his plans. I feel sorry for anyone who is so vested in him that they are angry. Whatever Clay chooses to do, I'm really excited to hear about it.

Both of my sons took career chances and although not every chance worked out, in my book they are both very sucessful at what they do. I'm very proud of them both.

It's better to try and fail than to never have tried at all and for the rest of your life regret not having taken the chance.JMO

I understand people being worried -- I used to be a worrier myself. However, most of my worry anymore is about my own life, not the life of a singer that I think is cute and funny.

Clay will tell us what's going to happen in his own time. It may be tomorrow; it may be next week; it may be in December. In the meantime, I will wait -- and enjoy what he does give us. We have a Gala to look forward to. While I cannot attend this year, I totally believe that it will be a joyous occasion for those attending.

There was a phrase from this fandom a long time ago, and I still believe it true.

Being a Clay fan is a constant celebration.

I think I remember the phrase right....