# 65: "Clay Aiken's Not Just Any Joe"

ldyjocelyn

I'm concerned that the atmosphere is going to be like a wake.

The irony of that is that a "wake" is actually a celebration!

But I know what you mean. I feel there will be lots of crying, which overtake the "Aiken fog" that seems to affect us whenever we see him.

I too am hoping he comes close enough for me to attend something. I have very limited finances right now, but I'd convince my hubby that this MUST be done! LOL!

If people want to mourn about what was rather than what could be, let them. I'm all about the future. Fortunately I can attend the Gala as I live within 2 hours of Raleigh and Charlotte. I haven't been able to attend the dinners or buy any of the amazing items at the auction but just being at the Gala makes me all warm and fuzzy.

I've never been fortunate enough to attend a Gala. I live in the northwest, so it's the cost of airfare that is so prohibitive for me...topping it off I don't live in a highly populated city, so that makes the airfare even more expensive. If I drive 3 hours, I can fly out of another airport to save approx. $250-400 depending on where I'm going, but then I have to pay extra for a hotel just to fly out., and the extra gas. So, after it's all said and done, I don't really save much.

I'm saving money as we speak so that hopefully I can attend next year.

Fear, I'll get there someday. I'm not that worried about it, assuming Clay continues to hold every year. Living so far away, my priorities are different. I'm not upset, just frustrated sometimes.

Merrieeee, I got a package today!! *insert a happy, jumping and/or dancing smilie here*

Clay just can't win. In the past, when he has indicated he will be doing something without giving details, the fandom starts doing its own analysis and builds its expectations beyond reason. When their expectations are not met, they have blamed Clay. I know this sounds really strange, but it happens all the time. Now that he has indicated change of some type, they are speculating he is leaving the business entirely, and are angry. The poor guy owes them nothing, but tries to give them a heads up and they pounce on him.

It's really nuts out there....much more comfortable here. There is no reasoning at this point...some don't want to go to the gala now and others are upset because he will auction off a dinner at the Friday night event with VIP ticketholders -- except anyone can bid, so the anger is just that -- anger at Clay.

Clay is my happy place...I will support whatever he wants to do to earn a living and support inclusion -- or anything else for that matter. Hope the change is to theater and acting because IMO he shines there and is respected. If not, am sure he will not disappoint.

• Like 2

clayzedover -- welcome back! And thank you.

I think I'm just amazed at how a) addicted people are to him (I count myself in that group, BTW, but not to the point of pearl clutching!); and B) how resistant to any sort of change much of the world is. Heck, you change one little operating system on a phone and people get freaked! Therefore, when Clay makes a change...whew.

Clay's my happy, and I have every confidence in him.

• Like 1

My guess is they changed the Dinner Auction to Friday because they want to devote more of Saturday to celebrating the National Inclusion Project's 10th anniversary. I know a lot of fans go to the Gala simply to see Clay perform and I think that has made it difficult for the planners..ultimately the Gala's are supposed to be about NIP but they have become more and more Clay events and maybe this is a way of making it less Clay-centric.

It's a fine line they walk, for sure, because to make them less Clay-centric is to make them less attractive to fans. I know last year, while I really enjoyed the Gala in Washington, my daughter was a bit disappointed. She felt there wasn't enough Clay. She is not coming this year because she will be in England by then, but I am hoping we get more than 3 or 4 solo Clay songs. I am also looking forward to hearing what he and Keala will duet on!

Your right it is a fine line and the NIP Knows that very well. They are trying very hard to become more removed from Clay so they stand on their own but they understand very well that Clay is a major reason people donate and come to their events.

Any charity has to stand on its own. If they don't then they stand to lose when their "star" has a down turn.

Sad to say my feelings were a little hurt when those buying the gold and platinum tickets were referred to as the haves. I usually buy the gold ticket as this is my main donation to the NIP. That money comes right out of my IRA. Sorry kids. I've worked my whole life and at our house I'm the one on my knees scrubbing around the toilet.

I'm over it today. Hopefully not too many were hurt by those comments.

• Like 1

(((((Fear)))))

I have written more posts in the last couple of days than I can count and I have deleted all but two of them!

Head meet wall!

Same people different subject. Same ones trying to convince the rest they are right. Same ones trying to get you to think like them. Same ones trying to bring the boards down.

I wish they could find a new obsession.

CLAY IS MY HAPPY!

• Like 1

{{{Hugs}}} to all. This is a time of uncertainty for us. Some of us are scared of permanently losing Clay, and some are optimistic that he's not leaving entertainment at all, but only doing something different. The unknown is a scary thing, and it's fueling all sorts of emotions. It saddens me to see all the sniping between the fans.

Clay definitely is addicting. I sure never imagined I'd be around for ten years,

but I'm sure glad I stuck around! There was a thread or discussion at the CB ten years ago and the subject was What is it about him? I still haven't been able to answer that question.

I often wonder what Clay would have done if the fans hadn't given him that $50k to make his college project a reality, Would he have eventually started a foundation on his own? Maybe. I don't think Clay will ever be able to completely distance himself from the NIP.

Just some random thoughts with no particular direction this morning.

If y'all could spare a few good thoughts for my BIL who is having open heart surgery today, I would be most appreciative. Thanks!

Keeping your BIL in my prayers Tijala. And {{{{{{hugs}}}}} to you Fear.

So many good posts here again today. Who knows what would have happened if people hadn't started attaching checks to underwear 10 years ago, not to mention major fundraising? And I agree that he'll never be able to totally distance himself from the Project, although I'm sure that is something of a goal for the Project. Having said that -- I go to the Galas for Clay, and end up being very impressed with the Project itself. So much so, that even though I can't attend the Gala this year, I'm planning to make a donation.

Uncertainty. It's not particularly fun. But you know what? There's a saying -- "life is uncertain. Eat dessert first."

Life can change on a dime. Birth. Life. Death. Lots of money. No money. Health. Security. These changes are all around us every day, and we all survive them. Therefore, I'm not going to worry about the changes in Clay's life and career.

I still believe to this day that much of the worry about Clay revolves around "our" voting for him in 2003. He survived because of "us." Now that there's not as many of "us" (for whatever reason), "we" are once again afraid he's going to leave -- and that he owes us an explanation on why that may be. While I am addicted to him (and his humor), I don't feel he owes me anything. I just enjoy what he provides, however he provides it.

OT: I'm listening to Elton John's new album at the moment. It's awesome! luckiest, have you gotten it yet? (I'm listening on Spotify, but I now know I'm going to be purchasing!)

• Like 2

Great post Idy. I don't feel that Clay owes me anything either. He's gone above and beyond what I could have dreamed. I'm extremely grateful for everything he's done for us.

I'll have to give the new Elton John album a listen. I've heard it's very good. I've always loved EJ. When I was a sophomore in high school, we had a jukebox in the cafeteria. It was a gathering place to hang out with our friends before class in the morning, and every morning we could hear Crocodile Rock while walking down the hall...ahh, the memories.

BIL came through surgery with flying colors. He isn't awake yet, but he's expected to be soon. Thanks so much for your thoughts! Facebook is a wonderful thing sometimes. My nephew created a special page to keep the family as up to date as possible, and it's been so easy to get the latest news.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Friday,

Great news about your BIL, Tijala.

So for me the question is..what would the fans have Clay do? Continue touring and releasing CD's that are not selling? He has to make a living and if (and that is a really big if) is not in the entertainment business..so be it. Whatever he is doing it appears to be a done deal and all the whining and complaining in the world is not going to change it. So you either except whatever change is coming or move on. Seems pretty simple to me.

• Like 1

Glad everything went well Tijala!

I think a few of you might remember that Clay was to have written an intro to a book. Well, Amazon has the book out now, and you can read his intro on the site:

Starry-Eyed: Sixteen Stories That Steal the Spotlight

Here's the intro:

bvqe_zpsfad3d22a.jpg

I don't know Aikim. He's reading the boards and he knows how everyone feels. I still think many are hoping for Broadway. I've wondered if sometimes people don't over-dramatize their posts in hope that Clay will see them and maybe change his mind. I know that's a huge stretch, but it wouldn't surprise me at all. It's been two weeks since the blog. I'm wondering if we'll hear anything about 2014 before 2014.

Idy, thanks for posting the forward!

Gregory Porter on the Tonight Show tonight!

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aup21tPoZXE

My high school friend Chip had an extended solo too. Squeee, I feel like a proud mama.

I saw a short clip I wish I had bookmarked of Porter bringing Chip into a room back stage and showing him the piano - it wasn't that long ago, earlier this year. Chip was stunned speechless. Up until then he'd been playing a keyboard, because that's all they could afford to transport. At that time, Porter also named Chip his musical director. Not that I'm prejudiced but I think it was a smart move, because Porter can get lost in his vocalizing.

Clay topic - heh - I snark, I snark, I know we don't need a Clay topic here, but honestly I hesitated to post this for a minute since there's been so much worrying out and about. Wouldn't want anyone to think I'm cheating on Clay (although I do it all the time--I'm totally back into Kris Allen's second CD at the moment). The spotlight comes and the spotlight goes. Porter and co. will be lucky if they can ride this to some modest acclaim through the Grammy's this year and hopefully finally win one, but by next year, someone else will be the next big thing and they'll be setting back down into something more "normal." They're probably exhausted and looking forward to a break. It's got to be especially tiring flying back and forth from the U.S. for short runs of gigs in Europe and Japan, interspersed with dates here.

I have so many different fandoms, I just rotate through them whenever I feel like it. If one is dormant another is usually active. Right now Clay is dormant, and figure skating hasn't quite started up yet ( a few more weeks!) but one of our Canadian supermarket chains has decided to partner with British chef Jamie Oliver. Now that excites me! So I took a run up there this morning (not my usual area of town) and had a field day with all the different promotional displays, merchandise, etc. It was like Christmas! I bought a few things for myself, and a few groceries that I needed. Now I'm off to the usual (less expensive) grocery store to buy the rest. I amuse easily. :rainbowsmile:

• Like 1

I've had many fandoms in my life, but never consistently stayed with one as long as I have with Clay. I sure didn't travel to see anyone until Clay came along. Living in a small city, we don't really get the big acts anymore. If we do, it's usually country. Not that it's a bad thing, because for years I listened exclusively to country radio.

I love figure skating! I competed as a kid and still skate a bit with my GD. Did Stars on ice even do a show this year? I've been to a few of their shows back in the late 80s and loved them. It's a shame that the big beautiful ice shows like ice Capades are gone.

I too have other interests/fandoms besides Clay. As jmh said, show business is so cyclical, and Clay's been riding pretty high for a while. Even some of the times "we" thought it was low were, in the end, pretty high! IMO, he'll recharge his batteries soon enough!

Pretty exciting luckiest -- I love your food blog and it must be neat to "get closer" to Jamie!