# 65: "Clay Aiken's Not Just Any Joe"

ldyjocelyn

luckiest, I hear ya on the tax break, and wish there was a way for you to do that. I have to admit that my husband has been pretty happy with some of my donations to the Project because of that. And you're right, I don't see Clay leaving the Project entirely.

I'm calling my cable company later today to try to get our bill down. My husband and I are thisclose to cutting cable entirely and relying on the streaming services and an antenna. It costs too much, and we already pay for streaming Netflix and Amazon Prime, plus my husband bought an Apple TV device a few months ago. IMO, we'd just add Hulu Plus and would then probably be able to see anything we want to watch. We'll see what cable can offer us if we say "we're leaving...."

I've thought about doing that too, ldyj. I know I can download anything online that I can PVR, and since I'm paying fairly big bucks for unlimited internet, I probably should. It's just so freaking convenient to PVR. :P

I am not sure why some fans think that Clay is going to give us news at the gala. I don't see it as a really good place to relay news, since not everyone there is a fan, some are just NIP supporters. I figure we'll get news the old fashioned way.....through a blog or ferret it out ourselves prior to it being announced. ;)

Doesn't really bother me, since I'm not particularly worried. I'm sure he's a busy man and it sounds like he is making some big personal changes (i.e. moving) as well as career changes. These things can take time. I will continue to check in once a day or so until something happens.

*edited for clarity* I can't believe that some people think that fans who aren't freaking out don't care. I care plenty. If I could never hear Clay sing again I'd be pretty upset. His voice transports me to another place, and while it's great on a recording, there's nothing like hearing it live. I once was a huge fan of a figure skater who up and quit skating, and moved to Mexico. I still get a bit pissy when I think about it. What a waste of talent! But it's his life, not mine. People have to do what makes them happy. I just happen to think that performing, in some capacity, makes Clay happy.

My cable just went up last month...again. I'm tired of it. Honestly, there is nothing on cable that I can't live without. I can watch almost all my favorites online. I disconnected a few years ago, and they didn't want to seem to want to do anything to keep me as a customer. I caved one year later because I got so tired of hearing DH complain there was nothing on to watch. Heck, he falls asleep on the floor in front of the TV anyway. My bill has gone up twice since then with no additional channels ( yeah...like I really need more, lol!) or services. So, I think it's time.

I've had favorite skaters quit or retire. Thank goodness for YouTube. I loved Kitty and Peter Carruthers and the Protopopovs. And I get such a kick out of watching Sonja Henie. Oh, and I do agree that the new scoring system is much more fair. It's just a tad complicated to understand.

I think with some of Clay's fans, if you don't have him right up there on that pedestal like they do, it equates to not caring, and the "good fan, bad fan" issues. I think with some it borderlines on being unhealthy. I do care. There just isn't any sense in me worrying anymore. He's gonna do what he's gonna do.

And more angst still. It's gonna be a bumpy ride for awhile I'm afraid.

<snip>

I can watch almost all my favorites online.

Cut out a lot, I know, but really just wanted to reply to this bit.. some stations are making it harder to view their content online. I know AMC works this way, I tried to watch a show on there and it wanted me to pick a cable provider in order to get access, unfortunately the one I have doesn't have a deal with them and I was blocked out. Hulu does this to an extent too, if you don't have a Plus account and you want to watch a FOX show the day after it airs, you need to connect a cable/satellite provider to your Hulu account to access the show.

<snip>

I can watch almost all my favorites online.

Cut out a lot, I know, but really just wanted to reply to this bit.. some stations are making it harder to view their content online. I know AMC works this way, I tried to watch a show on there and it wanted me to pick a cable provider in order to get access, unfortunately the one I have doesn't have a deal with them and I was blocked out. Hulu does this to an extent too, if you don't have a Plus account and you want to watch a FOX show the day after it airs, you need to connect a cable/satellite provider to your Hulu account to access the show.

Yes, I'm aware of this. We've had 3 providers in the past 10 years. I still pay my bill to the first one, but the actual service comes from #3. It's a mess and I can't sign up anywhere for online content. I've been lucky so far, but I know my days are numbered.

He'll show up when he does, he'll do what he does, some will like it, some won't, some will threaten to leave, some will say it's the best thing ever, some will criticize, some will pontificate on the message boards about how they knew all along and some will try to make others see their point of view!

In other words same ole same ole in a Clay Aiken fandom!

If my mom didn't live with me I'd get rid of the landline and cable. As it is I had to cut all extras last month - so bye bye HBO, Stars, Encore. I have UVERSE so it's my telephone, internet and tv but still when that starts climbing over 200 a month it's time to cut back. I got it down to 129. Usually when you call to cancel you get some sort of new deal that will last at least a little while. I quit my second job effective the end of October and all the little things that I don't need will be going. I love finding free things to do now. One of my favorite sites is funcheap.com.

Anybody else interested in seeing captain Phillips. The ads have really drawn me in and I saw a preview when I went to see Despicable Me 2. Been awhile since I've been excited for a Tom Hanks film.

Anybody watch the Blacklist? I'm taping tonight and will try to go watch last week's show somewhere. Top Chef starts this week. And I've been following Blair Underwood's career since he was Bobby Blue on One Life to Live as a teen. But I have to admit that if he wasn't in Ironside I wouldn't even be giving it a shot. The commercials for it really don't look that great.

I remember back in the early days of the internet there was this thing going around about the lifespan of a fandom. There's just no way you can stay in that hyper stage forever. Doesn't mean I don't still get a rush when I'm sitting in an audience and he's singing. But I'm long past the stage where everything is some fresh agony. It's almost comical the things that used to worry me. He's rich. He's famous. He doesn't need me to worry about him and that includes his house selling for over a million dollars. I need to move soon and I haven't even started saving the 2 or 3 k that I will need to do that. His problems just don't seem that great compared to mine. And you know I realize they probably are just that great and that rich and famous have their own set of issues that I can't even begin to understand (crazy stalkers, people using you, etc). I've never been a home owner so can't really relate to what he's going through. I guess there are reasons why he doesn't want to wait out the sale. But it's his business. The things I used to fret over is funny to me now. OMG he only sold 100K this week LOL. Geeze Louise.

I am cleaning up my room and going through things preparing for a move that I know is coming and I look at some of the things I have and wonder what on earth was I thinking. In fact, I have some things I want to give away to anyone who wants them. Maybe I'll find a thread somewhere and list them as I come across them. Maybe it will fill in your collection if you're missing something.

I too think he enjoys performing and will continue to do that on some level. That's why I'm not worried or concerned. If he decides he's had enough then I'll live with it.

I've been taking an online history of rock class. It's fun. Every week after each video I go online and listen to all the music he talked about. It's a lot of fun. This week was the British Invasion. I guess I was sorta around when they were big but I was little black church girl so what little I did sneak and listen to was more of the Motown groove which was happening simultaneously. I did know more about them than the Stones who I have always loved. It was fun to learn about their beginnings. I think it was the blues influences in their music that drew me to them. Fun class.

Have a great week everyone.

Good luck getting ready to move couchie. Giving away things and throwing out other things I never thought I could do without was very painful to me. Now we are buying some of those things again. LOL Living where you live we could ne er have afforded to own a home. Its very affordable to live in the South. Which explains people retiring here.

Personally I could never go through all that Clay went through with everyone, including fans, wanting to know every intimate detail of his life. I'm glad he fought back even if it hurt his career. it's amazing to me that fan boards are still in existence. I do love when we discuss his music and other business endeavors.

Have a great day!

Woohoo! My new floors are going in..looks nice. Of course my stove is unhooked, there are new cabinets in the middle of the room and just general mess..but it will be so worth it, Mark is picking up the counter tops today.

Last night at my Reader's Advisory class we discussed Horror fiction so I got to spend the whole time talking about my favorite author Stephen King..my kind of class!

Kim

Oh, both of your classes sound right up my alley, aikim and couchie! I love classic rock, British invasion stuff, and Stephen King! I bought the new book Doctor Sleep last week for my ereader, and have been reading a little bit of it each day. You can only watch so much TV LOL. Speaking of, I get most everything I download from torrents. If my PVR is too full to catch something, that's what I do. I only have a makeshift PVR, meaning I attached an external hard drive to my HD cable box and made it into a PVR. I can only tape one channel at a time, so I have to use the time shifting channels to try and catch things that are on at the same time in my time zone.

Today is the last supper. My sons & I are getting together for a goodbye dinner for Lindsay. Then tomorrow I am taking the afternoon off to drive her to the aiport. She is going nuts, trying to get vet papers in order, for a dog and a cat that don't even belong to her. Her friends, a married couple who moved to England about a month ago, paid to take these animals with them, but the cat ran away a few days prior and then the dog was refused entry to the plane at the aiport on a technicality. So Lindsay is trying her darndest to get things in order, but it's crazy how picky it is. You get it all straightened out on this side, and then the people on the UK side say no, not to our liking, do it again. I don't know what's going to happen if they refuse the animals entry to the plane tomorrow. I just know I can't take them in! I already have 3 dogs (one of which is really Lindsay's) and 2 cats in my house.

One of the perks of working at the library is that we get the books a couple of weeks before the on sale date..so I got Doctor Sleep about two weeks ago..already read and loved it!

Kim

National Inclusion Project Gala Auction Items

Oh man, a hot-air balloon ride for me and 3 friends along with Clay?!?!?! I've always wanted to go on a hot air balloon...it's probably a very good thing I'm not going to the Gala!

And a little birdie told me someone who posts regularly here has a donation listed as well. (Hint: FORE!!!)

Hubby and I had a serious talk last night about finances. We've got a little too much credit card debt at the moment, so probably no Clay for me this year or next, even if comes close to me. Sigh.

Even if I could bid on the hot air balloon I wouldn't..I have such a fear of heights even for Clay I couldn't do it.

Kim

Even if I could bid on the hot air balloon I wouldn't..I have such a fear of heights even for Clay I couldn't do it.

Kim

It is not bad up there. I do not like being up high. I had to get up on the roof once to help my DH. Climbed the antanae and I did ok while up there but paniced when I had to come down. It took along time. I went hot air ballooning in the Rocky Mtn. and loved it. It is so beautiful from up there. We short ones do not have to worry. The basket almost came to my chin. No worry about falling out.

I can fly in a plane, but if I get above the third step on a ladder, I shake and start to panic. Yeah, I won't be getting in a hot air balloon anytime soon.

This morning I received an email announcing the Statesville, NC balloon festival 10/18/13 to 10/20/13. Even if I can't afford to bid for this I can go watch as its only 50 miles or so from my home. :rainbowsmile: I'm more frightened of being enclosed rather than being above, i.e. water or caves. In our old house I used to clean off the roofs.

I've been in a balloon once when I was little, someone rented it for our family reunion so they kept it tied up to keep it from really going anywhere but it was cool! I'd go for a full ride if I ever got an opportunity.

Of the non-Clay related things on that list I want, it's the LOTR Lego set... I would have SO much fun with that!!

Meeting this morning so I will be offline for a bit. They are going to be changing our software at work and have narrowed it down to three companies so our Library System is having demonstrations this week and next week of all three companies..should be interesting.

Seems like that gerbil is back on the wheel again.

Kim