# 65: "Clay Aiken's Not Just Any Joe"

ldyjocelyn

Hi kf! Good to see you! Yeah, the funeral wake seems to be growing. Whatevs.

From CV:

Got this in a Google alert:

Clay Aiken at The Wendy Williams Show studio Clay Aiken at The Wendy Williams Show studio on May 17, 2012 in New York, New York

http://youtu.be/KAK6-zLInaU

Here's another short clip from the same people, posted yesterday:

[media=]http://youtu.be/KAK6-zLInaU

Well, his tweet about "Community" gained the attention of a few people...

Joel McHale ‏@joelmchale

This should seal the deal RT @clayaiken: @NBCCommunity is the smartest-best comedy on TV. It starts back 2nite on @NBC Don't miss this show!

Joel McHale plays Jeff Winger (the lead character) on the series! Woohoo!

Other tweets:

COMMUNITY'S BACK! ‏@cdulaney85 2m

Thank you mister @clayaiken . #sixseasonsandamovie

Allison Adams ‏@allison_rie 2m

Watch @nbccommunity tonight unless you hate happiness and perfection and laughter. It's Clay Aiken approved, what more do you need?

Community Jan 2nd! ‏@applextree 3m

oh my goodness, you're the best @clayaiken.

And now...drum roll...the latest. The Washington Blade is a legit news site:

Clay Aiken "Actively Considering" Run for Congress: Sources

Full story in the news section.

You can tell me I'm weird later (although I know it already *g*), but I've got a huge grin on my face and my heart is kinda bursting with pride if this is true. Yes, this means he won't be singing to us for a while, and that's sad. But...he's got cajones to go out there like that and try for Congress. Should be VERY interesting.

And this board could turn political! Hee.

For those that don't agree with his politics, or will miss his singing...{{{{{hugs}}}}}}

Oh wow. I'm a bit surprised that he would go this route, just because I know how nasty it could get. This would make sense of all that's gone on recently, though, and I've already made my peace wtih him not singing to me anymore. I am not political in the least (plus I'm Canadian!), but I will follow this with interest because it's Clay. I wish him all the luck in the world (he's going to need it). Not that I don't think he would be a great congressman....I do. But politics is brutal. He sure has balls.

• Like 1

When I woke up this morning, my brain immediately went to this. It's from his blog of January 2006:

Do not fear the reproach of others, and do not be dismayed when they revile you. Isaiah 51:7

IMO, this will be a great time for us to show that we are smart, intelligent fans of this man. Sure, some thought will have to be put into our words, but I've always tried to do that anyway. And yes, our words could conceivably be twisted, but again...that's happened many times.

As for Clay, I'm pretty darn positive he's thought of all this, and is saying "Damn the torpedoes, let's do this." Even if he doesn't win, he'll increase his profile, and then he'll have another choice -- go back to music, or keep trying the political route. He may have though that over a 10 year music career, he's tried all he can, and is burned out. But he's new in politics, and he could see himself trying and trying again until he does win. (Many political candidates are like that. I mean, Abe Lincoln didn't win all the time either...)

If nothing else, I'm looking forward to all the campaign clack! *g*

The story has made USA Today.

• Like 1

Twitter is blowing up about this. Saw this one on CV and had to laugh:

JD ‏@nevesytrof 3m Clay Aiken to run for NC congressional seat, likely to face accusations he once sought to become invisible for spying purposes.

Another good one:

Mike Maxwell ‏@themikemaxwell 1m @clayaiken may run for #NC #Congress. Dude should. He got more done in 2 Celebrity Apprentice projects that this Congress has done all yr.
  • Like 1

And that's where I pull up my "big girl panties" and say, "So what?" He's always had that, I'm afraid. And since he's seemingly chosen the political arena, he will continue to do so. ALL politicians have their naysayers and nasties.

This is going to be a major test for this fandom. First of all, yes I do believe there's got to be some fanboards out there for other politicians. *g* But more importantly, are "we" going to be able to deal with the mud slung at him? Will "we" be able to deal with any ghosts in his past that we may not be aware of?

In some ways, I'm just as fascinated at that prospect as I am to watch Clay in this new arena.

And again...for those who don't like this idea of him in politics, or for those who don't agree with his political views, I offer hugs of support. I don't want this to get personal with anyone I've met through this fandom. I truly don't.

I like this write up from, of all places, Entertainment Weekly:

http://popwatch.ew.c...n-for-congress/

While Aiken is best known for his post-Idol singing career — as well as fairly frequent TV appearances — a turn to politics wouldn’t come completely out of left field. He’s been an active supporter of causes and charities including the Ronald McDonald House, Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS, and his own National Inclusion Project for years; he was appointed a UNICEF National Ambassador in 2004 and a member of the Presidential Committee for People with Intellectual Disabilities in 2006. After officially coming out in 2008, Aiken also became gay rights activist. If he ran and got elected, Aiken would become the 113th Congress’s seventh openly gay or bisexual member.

Google News Graphic about the coverage of the story, as of 11 a.m. Central time:

Capture_zpsdc8d32e3.jpg

And then...there's this, via Twitter:

WRAL Gov't Coverage ‏@NCCapitol 26m

BTW, NO, Clay Aiken is NOT running for Congress, he told WRAL this morning. Sorry, Clay-nation. #ncpol #nc2

Expand

@NCCapitol is WRAL's twitter handle for local government coverage. However, there is NOTHING on WRAL's website about this. NOTHING. Are they holding a story until the 5 o'clock news?

The rollercoaster keeps going...

I would too!

The latest, from the @NCCapitol twitter handle:

WRAL Gov't Coverage ‏@NCCapitol 3m To clarify - Aiken told a WRAL producer last week he was NOT planning to run for Congress. Trying to find out if he's changed his mind.

Lynda Loveland ‏@lloveland 3m Will Clay Aiken run for Congress? I asked him. He neither confirmed nor denied! Hmmm!! #clay4congress?

I've been waiting for this. This kinda confirms it for me.

Joel McHale tweeted this.

@joelmchale: This should seal the deal RT @clayaiken: @NBCCommunity is the smartest-best comedy on TV. It starts back 2nite on @NBC Don't miss this show!

Well sounds to me that this is a go. It will be an interesting ride. But I'm not one to follow politics closely although I have VERY strong liberal leanings I don't find the day to day following something I can stomach.I hope he can win because of his his beliefs not because I'm a fan girl. It must be tough if you're a fan and not aligned politically. I personally could not root for a Republican to win ever since it's all a numbers game these days. Anybody here actually in his voting district?

Not me. I have to contend with Foxx in district 5. I usually volunteer to make calls for whomever is running against her and to talk to voters waiting to vote. No one is running against her this year though. So in Clay's case I'm excited to see an honest, cause driven person run for office. I would love to help him win. Too many people are in it for the money. It'll be interesting to see how Clay navigates the fine line between accepting contributions and being independant from the influence of the contributors.

What really gets me upset is that people actually believe that not everyone should be allowed to vote.

I don't even want to think about what could be next.