# 65: "Clay Aiken's Not Just Any Joe"

ldyjocelyn

Sorry out of the loop. I've moved. Love my new place. However, no internet until Wednesday.

LadyJ and I did chat and we aren't going to change anything about FCA. I mean to me there's no point in second guessing what somebody might be looking for at a Clay site. And seriously if there is anything heRE that can harm Clay, then he has no chance LOL because we are pretty mild. Also, if nobody has ever been to a political site, we have absolutely nothing on them. It's freaking crazy with even more crazy fan boys and girls than those in claynation. Seriously. We are small potatoes.

• Like 1

I have one more day off again today, so I'm planning on spending a little time going through all my Google alerts from the past few days and adding articles to the Archived News section. I'm not adding everything, but I'm planning on adding things that I thought were cool write ups, or at least different from the normal boiler plate ones.

It's too freakin' cold outside!

Hello all. If Clay has thought this all through carefully, then I say he should go for it. I will miss the voice terribly, but apparently he is more passionate for change than for entertaining at this point in time. I had a tough time sleeping last night, so I got lost in YouTube...great memories. I've often thought sometimes that somewhere along the way, Clay just lost interest for singing.

I think our low temp was 12 last night and were supposed to get to 43 by Thursday. I'll believe it when I see it. Stay warm!

I can remember at one time Clay said that him becoming a singer was his mother's dream.....he always thought he would be a teacher and eventually a school principal....something like that. Does anyone else remember that or am I losing it here?

I do believe that Clay enjoys singing and entertaining (you can see it and hear it when he is on stage) but I truly believe that his passion is in helping others, teaching and making difference in this crazy world. I think this is a challenge for him and I think he has a lot of courage to want to try politics. I'm probably more nervous about it than he is...I think he has nerves of steel when it is something he believes in.

That doesn't mean I won't miss that voice....I'll just be waiting for it to come back.

I believe Clay has thought about this for a long time. We may never know what is making him take this final step to running for office. I am curious as to what his next step would be should he not win the office. He is definitely a moderate voice and may have some very conciliatory ideas to share with both parties. I find the state of politics very sad and maybe it is time for a change.

Our 2 state senators, a Republican and a Democrat started out working together , as they said for the good of the state. I heard some Democrats getting upset about a negogiated guns bill and threatening to throw the Democrat under the bus next time around. Republicans picketed the office of the Republican senator after he voted down don't ask don't tell. No wonder politics is a hated profession. Good luck Clay. No matter what happens, I hope you open a few closed minds.

Clay self-identified as a Progressive in my copy of "Learning to Sing." He spoke of the hypocrisy of people who are "pro-life" yet oppose funding for child care for the working poor. As I recall, this was part of his explanation for leaving the Baptist church when he was 18.

If Clay was concerned about child care for poor mothers when he was 18, I don't think he's going to be a Johnny-One-Note candidate or representative. In the first place, the gay issue will not emerge at all during the primary. What will be going on is a jobs debate. Un- and under-employment along with income equality issues such as minimum wage will be at the forefront. The Republican primaries will mostly be centered around trashing health care.

I agree the focus will be income inequality and jobs. I live in an area where the economy is is a service economy...restaurants, big box stores, etc. Rents are high and people aren't making enough to survive without food stamps and Medicaid. I find this to be incredibly sad.

Calurker, I do remember Clay saying this. You haven't lost it. *g*

What's surprising to me is that Clay was so protective of his privacy, and now that he's considering running tells me he's very passionate for change to be willing to go through this process.

I also enjoyed the Larry Flick interview very much.

Clay was protective of his privacy from 2003 - 2008 because he was in the closet. He was protective of his privacy from 2008 on because of Parker. Now Clay is out and Parker is older and in school in California, so I don't think privacy is such an issue right now.

Clay said in the blog that he is ready to fly and that the new path is his passion. That goes back to his friend from school saying that Clay wanted to go into politics or journalism.

Also, there will definitely be some "opportunities" for fans during the campaign. I cannot believe that Clay won't sing at his campaign events/dinners/etc. He could charge $50-$100-$200 for campaign fundraisers and I'm sure he'd be perfectly happy for fans to attend. Didn't he say in the blog that there could be events before the end of 2013, but they would require travel. I think he put off announcing until the trial balloons and buzz and such. But I expect it, and absolutely know that Clay has the Golden Voice for Fundraising. He can "use his voice" to amass quite a campaign chest. I'm pumped.

I cringe at the over-concern of some fans with how OTHER fans MAY embarrass or hurt Clay if they don't act just so. Talk about hubris. If I went to a Wendy Davis rally and acted like an ass, it would embarrass and hurt me, NOT Wendy Davis. Some fans seem to believe that they actually are the Almighty Borg, with powers to make and break. Blows my mind.

I'm in for the haul. I don't think the House is his goal. I expect it's a stepping stone to running for governor of North Carolina. Then he could be the "singing governor" like Jimmie Davis, the Louisiana governor of several terms who wrote and sang "You Are My Sunshine." Jimmie Davis was a commercially successful singer and songwriter before he became a politician.

Davis became the popular "singing governor" of Louisiana who often performed during his campaign stops. While governor, he had a No. 1 hit single "There's a New Moon Over My Shoulder". Davis recorded for Decca Records for decades and released more than 40 albums. A long-time member of the Baptist faith, he also recorded a number of Southern gospel albums and in 1967 served as president of the Gospel Music Association.

Love your post, keepingfaith. Especially this line "Some fans seem to believe that they are the Almighty Borg, with powers to make and break." LOL

Isn't that the truth? It's crazy. "Be gone, you have no power here!" (TM Glinda)

I'm thinking Clay Aiken, politician, may be even more interesting than Clay Aiken, entertainer. I have learned the names of fans whose posts I skip over to maintain my sanity. Easy peasy.

I'm sorry some of you don't enjoy politics, but perhaps Clay can change your minds. It's going to be difficult for him, no doubt, as right now the pacs are throwing money into NC with annoying and misleading ads, mostly at our Democratic senator and she is trying to fight back at a yet undetermined opponent. It's going to be difficult for the people's voices to be heard, but we can't give up trying. Sorry for my preaching.

I'm thinking Clay Aiken, politician, may be even more interesting than Clay Aiken, entertainer. I have learned the names of fans whose posts I skip over to maintain my sanity. Easy peasy.

I'm sorry some of you don't enjoy politics, but perhaps Clay can change your minds. It's going to be difficult for him, no doubt, as right now the pacs are throwing money into NC with annoying and misleading ads, mostly at our Democratic senator and she is trying to fight back at a yet undetermined opponent. It's going to be difficult for the people's voices to be heard, but we can't give up trying. Sorry for my preaching.

ITA Fear, with both paragraphs. I'm learning more and more who to avoid and who to read on other boards. Fascinating to see, actually.

And I sympathize with those who don't enjoy politics. I don't enjoy much of the political process either! It can get VERY nasty, and there's a lot of "follow the money." However, I just cannot give up hope that there will be someone in politics that can get the country back to some reasonableness, and reasonable debate. I'm biased of course, but I think Clay could be that person.

I'm an Illinoisian old enough to remember Senator Paul Simon -- a very humble yet smart man who made a real difference for this country, IMO. I'd love to talk to Clay about him and see if he could emulate him in some way.

Even though I sincerely hate politics I will continue to read the boards and follow him! My biggest fear over this whole thing is the message boards turning into nothing but politics. It's already starting on some other boards where the post is totally political and not about Clay. If that continues then I will be gone from that board.

I am here on these boards for Clay and of course you guys too. I really do have more than a passing interest in him and his career (surprise, surprise) but I fully understand the delving into certain subjects which can be so divisive. I also understand that if he runs the majority of posts will now be political so I'm ok with that too but this girl just wants to have fun and I see that dwindling!

I read on another board that if you didn't have an interest in politics then you were in essence stupid. I had to sit on my hands over that one. That sort of thing just turns me away!

Don't stone me please!

Well that's enough about me! Isn't Clay a cutie?

You can have an interest in the world around you and what is going on and not want to dwell on politics and the process/media etc 24/7. That is me. I understand the issues. I get involved in things that interest me locally. I understand what is going on in Washington (which is absolutely nothing since I became eligible to vote). And I will investigate issues that interest me with sources I trust. But I will not listen to talking heads (they absolutely ruin everything for me including for example Mandela's memorial) on any network for more than 5 minutes. I will for instance watch the State of the union and then turn off the freakin' tv. I will not read blogs from people who appear ignorant to me for the most part whether I agree with their politics or not. And I will not argue with people who are entrenched in their ideology. And I find most of America apallingly ignorant on the issues and the world around them. I blame that on the media and the soundbite world we live in.

I have gotten to where I am based on 33 years of being a voting age citizen and there is nothing Clay will be able to do to change it. So Merrieee I'll be over here in the corner. We're in the same place. Of all the options I didn't really expect this. I would have been totally for a full time advocate of NIP or other charities. I'm still in the he can do whatever he wants camp - I just refuse to be drawn into the minutia of it.

• Like 1

Don't have an interest in politics makes you "stupid?" REALLY?!?!??!

Sigh.

That burns my butt. merrieeee, for the record, I find you smart and interesting. Please hang with us (even if some of us do like to talk politics!)

couchie, you have to know that I'm one of the "rosiest colored glasses" persons out there. So, I try to believe in the abilities in ONE person to make a difference. Will Clay be that one person? Honestly -- probably not. But I admire him for even TRYING! So many will not even try.

And yes, much of the country can be ignorant about issues that affect all of us. I'm not the best at it all the time myself, because some of the issues are damn complicated.

Puts on librarian hat

That's teaching critical thinking comes into play. It's something I do every day at my job. I wish more schools would teach students how to think for themselves. We wouldn't need the talking heads then!

Removes hat

I'm an Illinoisian old enough to remember Senator Paul Simon -- a very humble yet smart man who made a real difference for this country, IMO. I'd love to talk to Clay about him and see if he could emulate him in some way.

You mean the guy with the "bow tie?" Still laugh at Al Franken's impression of him on SNL. Also, I supported him in his 1988 run for the nomination. Good man.

Couchie, I tell my friends to stop listening to the comments of the punditry after speeches, debates, etc., and think for themselves. I usually watch these things on C-SPAN and I know what I think and don't need a dodo to try to explain it to me with their biases folded in. Sometimes what I hear and believe to be the most salient points in an address are never mentioned by the so-called experts. I hate nothing more than for talking heads to introduce a spin-phrase and in two days time everyone's repeating it. Disgusting! It's a form of brainwashing, IMO. This goes for ALL the news networks. If you think according to what your favorite media newsie tells you, you are wickedly misinformed -- left, right or center.

I believe we have good men and women in politics, but there are enough bad apples to spoil the barrel. I don't think politicians can change one thing in this country without it being forced by the people. I think voting is less critical than direct action. People Power!

<snip>

I hate nothing more than for talking heads to introduce a spin-phrase and in two days time everyone's repeating it. Disgusting! It's a form of brainwashing, IMO. This goes for ALL the news networks. If you think according to what your favorite media newsie tells you, you are wickedly misinformed -- left, right or center.

This is exactly why I quit listening to politics in the media. I know every network wants to put their spin on everything and it just drives me crazy. Unfortunately if I want to hear what's going on, I have to listen some side of the story and I've just been so put off for the past few years that I quit. I know I should hear SOMETHING rather than nothing but for a while I'd just like a drama free happy place.... I know my views have changed since the time I gave up and frankly everything I hear now sounds biased...

From Twitter, via CV:

LaVoce ‏@LaVoceTheVoice 3m Please be patient with us while setting Lavoce Social media trend

Thank you!

LaVoce friends & Clay Aiken in NY pic.twitter.com/euUtdkkNVZ

BdpBzOgCUAAtt8M_zps12a7d4d0.jpg

Looks good!

LaVoce is Lawrence Beaman, a bass singer based in the SF Bay area.

That picture must have killed FCA.

Funny story We drove to Chapel Hill early this morning for a doctor' s appointment. My husband had just gotten a new phone last night as he lost his somewhere during the day. I drove while he was setting up his contacts. He put in our youngest sons number and decided to text him. Shortly he got a response, " Who are you, LOL". Thinking he hadn't entered his identity, my husband responded, "Its your techno challenged Dad". He then got a response, "You're not my Dad, I'm Devin". Our son is Chris. We about died laughing. My husband had put in a wrong number. It was funny at the time.

Just read at CV that the pic is from 2011. That guy is just starting his por Twitter account, and pulled a pic from his past. Still cute, though.

DH's birthday weekend. I will be busy! Have a good weekend everyone!