# 65: "Clay Aiken's Not Just Any Joe"

ldyjocelyn

luckiest, I like your attitude toward it all.

As I said, I can see some disappointment about the way this has shaken, and do not fault anyone for that. But I've seen true anger, and that boggles my mind. I too have been sensing the changes for the past few years now, so I have been prepared. I think it helps that real life, in general, kind of overtook my priorities as well. I still look to Clay, and the boards, for my entertainment.

My final memory of Clay will involve him talking to me and my husband from the stage at the Rinky-Dink theater in Illinois. I can cherish that moment forever. Yes, I'm sad that I didn't get to see him in Drowsy or Joseph, but...them's the breaks.

My last show was Joseph great but not my favourite memory. That is hard to define. Was it watching him show the true measure of a man as he struggled to stay upright, in Long Island, suffering from vertigo, when he put his head on my shoulder in Houston, seeing him in Spamalot on opening night, having my first meet and greet, listening to him sing and making that note on All Is Well, or talking to him on the telephone? I treasure all of them!

It is so bittersweet. It's like when your kid goes away to college. You want them to spread their wings and fulfil their own dreams but oh my are you going to miss them!

I don't think I can pick a favourite memory, there are just too many. Each one is unique and special in it's own right and other than that last gala, I regret none of them. Clay brought my daughter and I closer together, at a pretty crucial time in both our lives. For that I'll forever be grateful, and of course for the many wonderful friendships I developed too.

Ldyj, that was definitely a cool moment in Chicago, and you guys were sitting right beside us! It almost felt like he was talking to us. ;)

Not having read elsewhere in ages now, I'm guessing the congress candidacy is pretty much a given then?

As a younger fan, I didn't always have the time and/or money to be able to see Clay in everything... I missed a few tours, wasn't able to see him in Joseph or Drowsy, never was able to attend a gala... my last concert was during the Tried and True tour in 2011 and I finally got my "moment" with him there. Never got lucky enough to win a M&G either...so to see him leaving the business (for a while I'm assuming, just throw a big IF in the middle here) without some of the things I had wished to tick off my fandom list is somewhat disappointing.

I can't be mad or angry at those who got private concerts. If all they did was ask and he agreed to it...he could have said no. I can't fault anyone for anything as simple as an agreement. Would I have loved to be in attendance for one? Sure, but I'm not upset over the fact they happened.

Tweets

@clayaiken: "There are millions of Americans outside if Washington who are tired of stale political arguments" Agreed. #SOTU

@clayaiken: "One of the best investments we can make in a child's life is high quality early education. #SOTU

@clayaiken: "If you cook our troops' meals or wash their dishes, you should not have to live in poverty!" #SOTU

@clayaiken: Imagine what good could be done if Congress and @BarackObama were willing to work together! It’s time to help people! #SOTU

@clayaiken: I know this much — The country needs leaders who are willing to work together, listen, and find middle ground. #SOTU

I can agree with that -- not a lot of snark involved. I will miss that.

But...I also see more of the man there, a part that I sometimes think he covered up with his snark and humor. I hate to get all "psychoanalytical" about Clay, but I see him entering a new, mature level in his life. When I hit 35 -- that was when I met my husband and married him, and while I still have my silly side, I also grew up a lot that year. Adulthood finally set in. I'm wondering if Clay's thinking the same way.

And I'll pick up the slack, the best I can, in reporting the tweets! (Unless, no one wants them...)

I'll take the tweets. If it's too much trouble don't bother. I don't go to twitter very often, so reading them here saves me from checking there. Plus I don't search for any other tweets so I'll miss some regarding Clay that are tweeted by others. I shut off my twitter announcement by phone when clay was on Celebrity Apprentice. Didn't enjoy them going off at night.

It's pretty understandable why he can't be snarky now.

I think the problem with politics today is that there is too much " snark " and not enough concentration on how to get the parties together and actually find solutions for the problems of the country.....acing like children surely isn't working. They spend so much time on the game that they forget why they are there. Time to grow up, put the back-biting to bed and do some good, or a least look like you're trying.

So much for my opinion of politicians, but I will be interested to hear what Clay has to say when he actually speaks. :popcorngirl:

It's nice to know my bringing over the tweets is appreciated. In the clear light of day I will still bring them over, Last night I guess it was a realization that there will not be much of a chance to have "jobros" tweets again or at least for a long time.

Maybe if I had any remote interest in politics it would be be better.

• Like 1

In some ways, I think you're right couchie -- everything has to be planned just so. Therefore, Mr. "I like to be in control, because it's MY show" might be OK. Hee.

In other ways, though -- well, it sounds to me like Clay may be willing to try and buck that trend. While he does like to be in control, he's also opened his mouth and made people unhappy with what he's said. So, that may not be a bad thing either.

He's said "compromise" more than a few times. People in politics seem to think that's a dirty word. I personally don't, so it will be interesting to see if he can work toward that goal.

One thing's for sure: I've always thought that to be a fan of Clay Aiken, you had to have a fairly tough skin, what with all the tabloid crap. Guess what? It's gonna get WAY worse. I think Clay knows he'll need it -- and frankly, I think he has the skin of a rhino. (Figuratively, of course -- his skin is pretty flawless!) I hope we as fans can survive though.

Weather here is OK today, but there's more snow forecast. I have tickets to see Alton Brown in St. Louis Saturday night -- and they are talking freezing rain/sleet there. Sigh. Not a trip I want to make, although I dearly love my other Southern geek boyfriend.