#66: "I'm Clay Aiken, and I Approved This Message!"

merrieeee

Via CV:

Faye just posted that on FB

With a heavy heart I share the news of the passing of a dear friend, Amaryllis McGhee. She was like a second mother to me and a nanny to both my boys. She lived her life with taking care of everyone. Now she is letting Jesus take care of her. Pray for comfort for her family as they heal their hearts from the loss. They know that she is smiling now and resting in her Father's Heavenly arms.

Amarylis is the one who took Faye and Clay into her home, if I remember correctly. Prayers are with the family, and with Faye and Clay.

Yes, I think it was her living room. And someone reminded me that she introduced Clay when he was appearing on AI one time. I kind of thought Clay was pretty quiet yesterday, now we know why.

Picture found yesterday. It was actually taken Feb. 25 in Sanford. From CV:

1385058_10203599681171340_1349747113_n_zpsb20ad514.jpg

New email:

Friends,

Last week I had the pleasure of reading to some elementary school students in our district. We read one of my favorite short stories from childhood -- The Zax by Dr. Seuss.

It's a classic story that you may remember. A North-Going Zax and a South-Going Zax bump into each other while traveling in the prairie of Prax.

Both refuse to take even a single step to the side so they can proceed. Instead, they both stubbornly insist on standing still until the other Zax budges. Of course, neither does, and over time the world just builds up around them.

I asked the children what they thought the moral of the story was. We talked about pride and stubbornness and how it kept the Zax from moving forward. The word of the day was compromise. The kids got it immediately.

The story and its moral seem simple enough. But after watching what's been happening in Washington these past few years, I'm starting to think we should make this required reading for our Members of Congress.

The challenges we face won't be solved overnight by just one person or party, but sometimes you have to be willing to take the first step.

Yours,

Clay

Good morning everyone!

I'm tentatively going to say that we might start having spring-like weather around here! I was going to say that Monday, and then we had snow on Wednesday!

Everyone have a good weekend!

Couchie, sent a donation from Paypal. Never got the original amount that went to the wrong email address returned despite sending that person an email.

Enjoyed Clay's email about his Dr. Seuss reading to the kids. Even now Dr. Seuss is an amazing influence to kids.

Enjoy the beautiful weather. The daffodils are blooming here as well as the trees.

Boo hiss.......no pic!

@ClayForNC: Delicious lunch at Brownie-Lu Restaurant in Siler City! Broasted chicken was amazing. We will definitely be back! #campaigntrailgrub

Pictures from the tweets above:

2014-03-14_1243_zps81762aa4.png

2014-03-14_1244_zpsf25d1097.png

The selfie pic for the day:

2014-03-14_1245_zps78974b29.png

therandolphguide.com

Clay Aiken dazzles at Di'lishi

March 14, 2014

Clay Aiken dazzles at Di'lishi

By Larry Penkava, Editor

The Randolph Guide

ASHEBORO — Clay Aiken's appearance here recently seemed as much a fan tour as a campaign stop.

The former American Idol contestant and current Democratic candidate for the Second Congressional District was at Di'lishi Frozen Yogurt Bar to meet people and have his picture made with them. Some talked politics while others just seemed to want to see and touch him.

Marlo Francis, owner of Di'lishi, said the event was the result of a friendship between Aiken and Lane Ragsdale, who works at the N.C. Zoo.

"Clay's PR person asked me about visiting the Zoo," said Ragsdale, who added that Aiken's Zoo visit initiated a friendship between the two. "I'm honored by his friendship," Ragsdale said. "I'm glad he's able to come through today."

Ragsdale said Aiken's campaign business manager contacted him about Thursday's stop. Di'lishi was chosen since Aiken had patronized the yogurt bar while visiting the Zoo.

After about 40 minutes of pressing the flesh and posing for photos, Aiken sat down with this reporter to answer questions about his campaign. First, why did he decide to run?

"It's got to the point that's so frustrating to me that nobody (in Washington) is talking to each other," he said. "Nobody is willing to compromise."

Aiken said he'd visited with Congressmen in the Capitol who wouldn't speak to colleagues of the other party who were in the room. He said he thinks that with his public profile he can help change the situation.

Gridlock in Congress, Aiken said, has made the public apathetic. "We can get them to pay attention to this election," he said. "We have to hold our representatives accountable."

As for issues, Aiken listed unemployment, particularly among veterans.

"The unemployment rate in North Carolina is still too high," he said. "We need to address jobs going overseas and try to stop the flow offshore. We need training for new types of jobs."

Aiken said his brother is a Marine veteran and has had a difficult time finding work. He said unemployment among vets is four points higher than the general population. "That's embarrassing."

Then he brought the conversation back to the situation in Congress: "People are not willing to sit down and talk across the aisle," Aiken said. "How do you work with somebody and not even be friendly? Find a way to work together."

Asked about Keith Crisco of Asheboro, his opponent in the Democratic primary, Aiken said, "He has an incredible record as a lifelong public servant. I appreciate what he's done. But it's time for a change."

Aiken said he hopes to "put energy into" the race ... and get people to pay attention."

Pictures from the article:

2014-03-14_1248_002_zps52bf99d6.png

2014-03-14_1248_001_zps09345f36.png

2014-03-14_1247_zps62e038cc.png

2014-03-14_1248_zpsd9679faf.png

http://findingclayaiken.mayhem.cbssports.com/e?ttag=12_cbsinv

If anyone wants to join in our fun march madness pool..just sign up here The group password is clay1234.

Absolutely no knowledge of sports needed to fill out a bracket. As Perusingone reminded me, Kandre won 2011. You only win bragging rights.

Have a good weekend everyone.

From Facebook:

New story in The Randolph Guide about our recent trip to Di'lishi Frozen Yogurt Bar in Asheboro.

Missed Clay in Randolph County? You can meet him at Di'lishi Frozen Yogurt Bar - Southern Pines on Monday, March 17 at 5:30 p.m. Bring the whole family and come prepared to eat some delicious frozen yogurt!

If he does, he's sure hiding it well. I can't help but be a tad jealous of how social he's being now....I wonder how many people show up just for the star factor? I'm kind of glad I don't live in NC right now, because I would be fighting with myself every time they announced another public appearance. LOL.

I'm doing this 32 day sugar-smart detox thing right now. You gradually reduce your sugar intake down to basically nothing (except for the natural sugars found in veggies & dairy) and then start to bring it back up again. The goal is to kick my sugar addiction, and appreciate the sweetness in regular foods again. The World Heath Organization recently reduced the amount of added sugar that one should consume daily. They are starting to link sugar intake to diseases other than diabetes, which scares me. I tallied my intake for a couple of days before starting, and realized I was way out of whack. I was hitting Starbucks almost every day for a large chai latte, and not only was it bad for my health, it was bad for my wallet. And hey, if I lose a few pounds in the process, it's a win-win! Currently, I'm on day 8. Friday, I get to add fruit and whole wheat wraps back into my diet. Wheeeee!