#66: "I'm Clay Aiken, and I Approved This Message!"

merrieeee

Happy Easter to my friends at FCA!

Watched the video last night. Now I am sure I am biased, but I think Clay came off very well. Informed, poised, confident. I love that he addressed the digital divide in his district...that is something That I, as a community college worker in an area with rural populations, deals with every day. Toni Morris is well intentioned and smart, but kinda faded into the woodwork, IMO.

I think Crisco and Morris have been government employees for years and have that government speak language. Ms. Morris implied that she worked for the school system which to me is like working for the government. Clay is new, dynamic and very excited that he might make a difference. I hope he always keeps that enthusiasm. When or if that is gone I think he will try another way to give people a voice.

Oh, he looks so cute in those last two pics.

I watched his part of the other video but it was late so I never watched her, but I already know who I'm rooting for so what's the point? He comes across the same way we've always known him to be, as smart and enthusiastic and like a ray of hope.

I'm too cheap so I didn't see it yet! I'll just wait till tomorrow. Although according to some it just not what they thought it should be. Hee the more things change the more they stay the same!

Interesting article

http://www.politicsnc.com/aiken-for-new-voters/

I have a novel idea! Can we just let Clay run his own campaign? I know too much to ask!

Oh wouldn't that be nice. I think my blood pressure just raised a few points. Just love how people who aren't part of Clay's team have all kinds of ideas on what they are doing wrong. I don't care if you are in politics or if you have marketing experience or if you are just some arm chair quarterback, you don't know jackshit about what is going on in Clay's district or with his campaign so I really don't give a damn what you would or wouldn't do.

Sorry, had to vent.

I did read though that he has on slightly different clothes on and longer hair so this was filmed at a different time than the long video he did. It wasn't exciting, and it didn't show off his intelligence, but it did inspire confidence and a trust in him. And it wasn't like a lot of those cheesy ones that I fast forward through because they come off like they are trying to sell me something.

In my opinion, even though I have no knowledge of political marketing, I think Clay has been running an excellent campaign. He's been using the media of today, like twitter and facebook, and also inspiring people who have met him to use them to spread the word. He's also getting out and actually meeting people on a personal level, which to me can't be discounted because it doesn't just stay with the person who are at those events. If they are inspired, then they are going to talk to their friends and family. And he thankfully has not started running ads months in advance. Most people like to wait to closer to the election to actually start thinking about the election. Nothing that I hate more than months and months of political ads.

Plus when Clay has appeared on radio or tv, he has shown how articulate, intelligent, and well-versed on the issues. And when he isn't, he readily admits it or admits that it's a topic that doesn't have an easy answer. I know I appreciate that. He also appears more energized than his opponents.

It's OK to vent around here....

justclay, I agree with every word you've said. To me, he hasn't had a real mis-step with this campaign, and I think he's doing wonderfully. And I too appreciate his thoughtfulness on the issues, and yet -- knowing when something is going to be tough, or he doesn't know about something and will just simply admit it -- that's amazing.

He's such a smart boyfriend.

I'm in the middle of asking permission for permission to bring over recaps from last night's LA fundraiser. Here is the first one, from copingincalif:

Wave to art quest who I met for the first time tonight. I was at the reception too. Can't bold on ipad I guess.

I counted the room we had 50 people. Griffin gave lovely speech as did Horn and Renshaw all talking about their admiration for Clay and his ability to make a difference in Washington.

Clay gave terrific speech also about the issues. Hit all the points. I am exhausted and brain is mush. Hopefully others that attended will do a recap. He looked great.

th_image_zps0107ac3f.jpg

New email:

Friends,

I’m inviting you to watch Clay on WRAL-TV – and see again why he is such a great candidate and would be a great congressman.

And you can help us get Clay’s new TV ad to more voters by clicking here and donating $5, $10, $25 or more today.

Clay taped WRAL's “On the Record” show with David Crabtree and Mark Binker Friday morning. It was aired Saturday night, and it’s available online HERE. The format gave Clay the chance to talk about his work in special education – and the issues in his campaign.

The station also invited Clay to tape a special online segment about why he’s running to represent the Second District. You can view that HERE.

Clay is a powerful advocate for the causes and the people he cares about. Help him get his message to the voters over the next two weeks!

Thanks,

Tucker Middleton

Communications Director

Clay Aiken for North Carolina

When the video is available to all can someone post a link please? I tried to watch the WRAL interview but I had to turn it off when he started talking about having "retired" from entertaining. Sorry.

Couchie so glad to hear your mom is improving daily! My mom is doing well, she seemed to turn a corner yesterday and is much more herself now. Physio is going well too.

Clay and I drive the same car! Though mine is about 4 years older

@Timodc: Enjoy this video of Clay Aiken getting into his blackout tint car to his song "invisible" https://t.co/Fz6X2x4WI0 #funwithtracking

Here is the ad

@monidol: Clay Aiken for Congress TV Ad "Might Wonder": http://t.co/1wrPcvQT1R via @YouTube

New email:

Friends,

My Democratic primary opponent, Keith Crisco, began running a negative ad directly attacking me today.

I’m going to need your help to fight back. Click here to donate $5, $10, $25, or $50 to help us defend the campaign from these attacks.

Crisco and his campaign are twisting the facts about my service on the President’s Committee for People with Intellectual Disabilities.

While it's true that I couldn’t attend many of the committee meetings, I had just finished American Idol. So I made it clear to the committee during the first meeting I attended that I was touring and working on my album at the time and that I couldn’t be physically present for most meetings.

They understood, and I agreed to stay on the committee to lend my name and support – and bring attention and publicity to the committee’s great work.

Crisco has shown that he will continue to throw his own money into the race to buy this seat. And now he has made it clear how he intends to spend that money. By attacking me.

Help me fight back against the mudslinging. Take a minute right now to click here and donate $5, $25, or more so we can get our message – and our new TV ad – to more people.

Thanks,

Clay

Red Recap from claniac24 at CV, reprinted with permission:

The Reception:

Clayskater gave quite a nice report on the reception, but I'll see what I can add. The important things first: Clay looked gorgeous! Truly! He looked well-rested, his hair [dark red-brown] was styled great, black good-fitting suit, light blue shirt open at the collar, and good-looking pointy black shoes, with a medium heel. He was smiling and appeared happy and comfortable throughout. He moved easily around the room, greeting and chatting with each little group of guests [about 50 in all].

The building the CAA offices were in was absolutely stunning modern architecture, with an incredible view out a wall-to-wall glass window. Our CA group of fans were the first to arrive, with Clay appearing right at 6 pm. He came over to us, hugged each of us, and then chatted a bit until others began to arrive. I announced my name when he came over to me, and he said, "I KNOW your name!", as though he was insulted that I had thought I had to tell him. He was just being cute, but I got a kick out of it. He brought Simon Renshaw over to our group, and Simon was equally charming. After he got a quick intro by name of about six of us, he claimed he would remember all our names if we came back the next morning. Yeah, sure....but it was sweet. The gals in our group from the fan boards were copinginCA [she and I hired a limo that drove us throughout], artquest [what a pleasure to meet her...a darling, beautiful gal], pennyswoon [or something like that, she's a terrific photographer], and clayskater [she attended the reception, but not the dinner, because she's hosting her own private Clay dinner tonight in San Jose]. The other reception attendees who were also dinner attendees are all Clay-friends of mine, but they don't post on the boards much at all, so you won't know them by name.

The speakers were all wonderful in their praise of Clay. Clay, of course, was delightful in his address to the group. He was both serious and amusing, just the right touch! Then Kathy Griffin spoke. She looked darling. She was wearing a form-fitting dress, high, high heels, and has a figure to die for! Skinny, but shapely. Everybody there had already paid to be there, but she made a request for more donations, and we all lined up! She took a pic with everyone donating more and was very gracious in conversation with each of us. I had the temerity to tell her that I had hated her for some time, and then saw her do a non-Clay piece on UTube and thought "What a great comedienne! She doesn't have to make fun of Clay to be funny!" She laughed heartily at my story, but probably wanted to strangle me. I'll post my pic with her if I can figure out how to get it out of my email.

Our group of dinner guests then made our way over to the restaurant in Brentwood, some 15 minutes away. I'll post this before it disappears into wherever these things go when they disappear. And then I'll post about the private dinner.

The Private Dinner:

The dinner was held in a darling little Italian restaurant in Brentwood, CA. The owner had contributed the entire dinner as his campaign donation. Wasn't that nice! We had a small private room upstairs with a long table. Clay arrived at approximately the same time as we guests, sat in the middle of one side of the table, and then requested the hostess and one other gal to sit on each side of him [they had each paid 2K, whereas the rest of us peons [9 more at 1K each] chose our own seats. I, of course, chose to sit directly across from Clay. What a great spot that was! I couldn't take my eyes off him all evening. And again my temerity showed....i.e. I asked Clay a ton of questions throughout the delicious dinner [predetermined by the restaurant owner...very starchy, but also very tasty].

Clay was incredibly adorable, funny, entertaining and informative. Unfortunately, one of the rules of these dinners is that we can talk about the dinner in general terms, but we can't discuss what was said. So, my sincerest apologies, cause I'd love to share everything, but if I did, I'd bring on the wrath of Clay!

After about two hours of dining and chatting with Clay, we each presented some pic or whatever for Clay to sign. I had him sign the pic of him and me that was taken at the private concert in L.A. in January that I was forbidden to talk about. He wrote his usual "Use Your Voice!" on it, along with my name and his unreadable signature. I will treasure it forever! Then he went around the table and took selfies with each of us. He's SO good with the phone/cameras, immediately knowing how to use each gal's camera, even tho they were all different. I used Coping's phone/camera because I knew I'd never be able to figure out how to get the pic off mine. Coping emailed my pics to me, and next I'm going to try to figure out how to get an emailed pic onto these pages. I may be back asking for help shortly.

After the selfies, Clay had us all stand up and go into the next room to take a group picture. Teacher Clay positioned us all for the pic. When I receive a copy, I'll do my best to post it. Then we all hugged each other, said our goodbyes, and wended our way home. It was a FABULOUS evening! I loved every minute of it and trust me, it was well worth the financial contribution to his campaign to spend 4 & 1/2 hours with Clay Aiken!