#66: "I'm Clay Aiken, and I Approved This Message!"

merrieeee

Got to watch Colbert this morning. I think I'll be watching that a few more times...at least.

Wish I had more time...but work is crazy, homework due in two days, and then more work stuff. Plus, I'm having a shortage of inspiration on how to finish my homework...sigh.

But that Clay Aiken guy? He's cool. And good.

I think in this case that Twitter is a good indicator of how much he can change minds just by people seeing "him."

Fantasia is hosting a "get out the vote" rally for Clay on Saturday:

fantasia_rally_zps3ba248a8.jpg

It all went by so fast last night that I had to go back and read the transcript. He really did get some zingers in. The guy is so fast on his feet! How many people could do what he has done in the last couple of days. He went from fundraiser to serious political shows to comedy in 24 hours? And managed to acquit himself in all of them!

Random tweets.

@emhornerbooks: Actually pretty impressed with @clayaiken on the Colbert Report. North Carolina needs more politicians who are not terrible terrible ppl.

@Trillburne: lmao I have to admit Clay Aiken is not near as awful as a politician as I thought he would be

@timtheok: I was skeptical, but after @clayaiken was on @StephenAtHome tonight I would vote for him.

@duobham: I was impressed w/ Clay Aiken on Colbert Report tonight. He was quick to get to real issues plaguing US/his district.

http://t.co/m342p1aG2N

I have watched the Colbert clip so many times I lost count. I never watch the show so I have nothing to judge it by but I think it went very well! How do you guys feel?

I don't watch it either but my husband watches it every night and thought Clay was great. H e made sure to tell me that Colbert was playing a role and was not himself. I guess he always does this on his show. I thought Clay was perfect. I also liked the Huffington post interview but thought the host of that earlier show was humorless so I didn't enjoy that interview as much. But Clay managed to get a lot of information in.

ldyj I you need me for your homework assignment just let me know. No microphone but headphones.

Aww

@ClayForNC: Listen to @RubenStuddard talk about Clay's commitment to public service in our latest radio ad: http://t.co/dfsgKH7mWC #ncpol #nc02

Thanks for the info. I did not like the Ronan show either! I think the kid is too full of himself. From what I've gathered Ronan has swallowed his own Koolaid.

News observer.com

RENEE ELLMERS COMES TO CLAY AIKEN'S DEFENSE – WHAT?!: U.S. Rep. Renee Ellmers is trying to milk campaign cash from her supports with one of the strangest fundraising emails.

This week, the Dunn Republican writes: "Bev Perdue's friend Keith Crisco is running an ad on television right now that personally attacks Clay Aiken for not being supportive enough of children with disabilities."

Now, clearly I disagree with Clay Aiken on practically every issue, his support of President Obama and Nancy Pelosi at the top of the list of course. But can you believe Crisco would stoop this low in an attack ad? Believe it.

"So if a Democrat is willing to fight this dirty against one of his own imagine what the liberal machine will try to do to our conservative cause?"

Ellmers goes on to ask for money and while the logic (though twisted) is apparent, coming to Aiken's defense by calling the ad "a new low" is amusing.

Among her many recent hits on the Democrat, it was Ellmers' campaign that drew controversy for saying Aiken had "San Francisco" values, a shot that many perceived as one on Aiken's sexual orientation.

Read more here: http://www.newsobser...l#storylink=cpy

Huff Post Comedy

Stephen Colbert Demands to Know Why Clay Aiken is Running For Congress

"American Idol" runner up Clay Aiken is running for congress from the great state of North Carolina, and Stephen Colbert wants to know why.

Watch as the "Report" host confronts Aiken, asking, "Who the hell do you think you are, you Hollywood liberal, coming into North Carolina with your San Francisco values?"

Spoiler: From that point on, Aiken kind of owns.

Includes the clip from last night.

I've also seen that it's trending on Hulu.

I forgot to answer merrieeee's question. I usually only watch Jon Stewart, and only rarely watch Colbert. However, I've seen enough to know that Colbert can make many people squirm. Clay didn't squirm -- he was cool as a cucumber. I also got the feeling, though, that Colbert likes Clay (they've both got Carolina blood running through their veins), because he did let him speak. People he doesn't like (even if he is in character) he really doesn't give them as much of a chance to speak.

Penn Jillette ‏@pennjillette · 1m

Hey, my buddy @ClayAiken is doing the political thang. If you're in North Carolina learn more about it #ncpol #nc02

the link is Ruben's ad

Keala Settle ‏@kealasettle · 46s

SO proud of my brother @ClayAiken. We need MORE people like him in Congress. #ncpol #nc02

Edited by jmh123
tried to fix link

I don't usually get to watch Stewart/Colbert because it's w-a-y past my bedtime......everything's past my bedtime as I get older. But last night I did stay up and it was so worth it. He did a great job :clap: and I do love it when he laughs and shows his smarts at the same time. :popcorngirl:

I totally agree! Mr. Snark was there. Personally, I think Clay did a good job of staying within the points he needed to make -- and let Colbert take care of the major snark. He let the master take it over, which IMO was great.

I also think one of Clay's dreams came true last night, and I bet he was thrilled!

I've watched that clip more times than I care to admit. And thank goodness for Hulu -- I can watch this clip MANY times online in the next month or so.

Fear, thanks so much for your help this evening!

It looks as if his Apprentice friends are retweeting Ruben's ad. Arsenio and Dee have both done so as well today!

Posted by Faye on Facebook:

Today Show, Tomorrow DVR it if you want to hear what Clay Aiken has to say about his run for Congress. Time is supposed to be between 7 and 7:30 but it is TV so remember things change and if big breaking news may not show. Tune in if you can. I just set my DVR.

Confirmation of Today show:

Forward Americans @ForwardAmerican

Tune in Fri. morning 7 am @TheTodayShow @KellyO covers @ClayForNC #nc02 campaign for US House. She spent time w/ him in district this week!

Nice little ad for Clay on the Today show. He was on shortly after 7:15 EST. AM. I think one thing never mentioned is the attention he will bring to his district as a congressman. No better way to help his constituents.

@bradley_scout: Clay Aiken (former American Idol contestant) is running for Congress in NC, Wash. Post reports.

What do you think?

http://t.co/Yc6QEGkoIK

An Ellmers spokesperson responded, "While Clay Aiken is running around on the Colbert Show, the Congresswoman is doing the work of the people in the Second District."