#66: "I'm Clay Aiken, and I Approved This Message!"

merrieeee

I am WAY behind on CV (and probably not worth it at this point to try and catch up), and I think I've missed a LOT of pictures.

However...

wncn.com (this is the interview that Clay was pictured in this morning)

Aiken, Crisco Race for Congress Heats Up

Aiken, Crisco race for Congress heats up

Posted: May 05, 2014 5:07 PM CDTUpdated: May 05, 2014 6:40 PM CDT

by Beau Minnick, WNCN News - email

RALEIGH, N.C. -

It's the eve of the primary election on Tuesday, and one race that has been active the past couple weeks is the 2nd Congressional District.

That’s where former American Idol runner-up Clay Aiken is facing former Commerce Secretary Keith Crisco in the Democratic primary, where the winner will face Republican incumbent Renee Ellmers in the fall.

The ads have been intense in the district, which includes parts of southwest Wake County, sweeps down to Dunn and parts of Fayetteville and then includes a wide swath to the west, including Southern Pines, Sanford and Asheboro.

An Aiken ad proclaims, “I’m running for Congress and I approve this message because every child deserves a chance.”

A Crisco ad said Crisco “helped bring 120,000 jobs to our state.”

But the ads have taken a harsher tone as the election has approached.

A Crisco ad criticizes Aiken for not showing up for meetings of the Presidential Commission for People With Intellectual Disabilities.

“If he’s too busy for the president and special needs children, how can we count on Clay?” the ad says.

But Aiken, firing back, said of Crisco, “When you lobby for something that takes jobs out of this country, I don’t think you necessarily get to talk about your position as a jobs creator.”

Aaron Fiedler, communications director for Crisco, said, “Keith wouldn’t be running if he didn’t think he could win. He’s got the experience and the profile of the district. Renee Ellmers is not a popular figure with Democrats, with Republicans and independents in the 2nd District.”

With voters, it's clear Aiken has an advantage with name recognition thanks to his run on “American Idol” in 2003.

“That’s going to help,” said voter Michael Vineys. “It has to.”

But voter Mildred Callender said, “I really don’t understand why he’s running or why he wants to run.”

Both candidates are trying to get out their message hours before the polls open.

Fiedler said Crisco “employs 200 people here in Asheboro, something he’s very proud of.”

But Aiken said Crisco has “a lack of productivity in government. That’s what we’re talking about.”

Also running is Fayetteville counselor Toni Morris.

The district, though, has a heavy Republican majority, meaning any Democrat will have a tough task against Ellmers in the fall. Ellmers ousted Democratic incumbent Bob Etheridge in 2010. In 2012, she received 56 percent of the vote in beating Democrat Steve Wilkins.

Ellmers was dominant in Chatham, Harnett, Randolph and Moore counties and essentially split the vote in Wake County with Wilkins.

Despite the fact that there are many more Democrats in North Carolina than Republicans – roughly 2.8 million to 2 million – the GOP has a big advantage in Moore and Randolph counties, which aided Ellmers.

Copyright 2014 WNCN. All rights reserved.

There's a video at the link.

I kind of feel sorry for Toni. It's like she's forgotten about!

Ken is such a good friend.

@KenArpino: I am liking this prediction! Come on district 2-- make America proud and Congress stronger @clayaiken #ncpol #NC02 http://t.co/jq1j0mqXYC

@WabnitzTerry: @clayaiken Our local news in Ohio just showed a picture of Clay and wished him good luck in his run for Congress. #feelingpositive

Dear Clay,

Almost three months to the day, you started this journey. In that time, you have shown yourself to be smart, hardworking, passionate, and above all, a North Carolinian to the core.

You have changed the minds of many people who "pooh-pooh'd" you, just because you appeared on American Idol oh so many years ago. (Sorry about the reminder about how long ago that was...)

You have gained respect. What a wonderful word.

Your fans -- well, it was hard for a while. Still is, for some. Your singing voice is what started many on this journey as a fandom, and adjustment to this new world of politics was difficult. However, I realize that you have to do what you feel you must; in this case, it is using your other voice to bring attention to your beloved state.

In the meantime, I personally have learned so much from you. How to be strong. How gerrymandering is just not good. How North Carolina politics works. How politics in general works.

I am incredibly proud to have followed you through this journey. Even though you might be uncomfortable with this, I will continue to follow you for a long time to come.

Good luck Clay.

Love, ldyjocelyn

Didn't mean to make you cry merrieeeee! :hugs-1:

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2014/05/06/clay-aiken-is-a-top-contestant-in-north-carolina-primary/

Clay Aiken Is a Top Contestant in North Carolina Primary

A decade after finishing as runner-up on American Idol, singer Clay Aiken is vying for first place—this time in the Democratic primary for a House seat in North Carolina’s second district.

Mr. Aiken, 35 years old, faces a crowded field in Tuesday’s election, which pits him against the state’s former commerce secretary, Keith Crisco, and mental health counselor Toni Morris. And even if he wins, Mr. Aiken would face an uphill battle against the incumbent, Republican Rep. Renee Ellmers. Ms. Ellmers is in her second term in a district the Rothenberg Political Report rates as “safe Republican.” Republican Mitt Romney won 57% of the district in 2012.

The Idol star has touted a poll conducted by his own campaign that shows him with a 20-point lead over the other two candidates, but no independent polling has verified those results. Both the Aiken and Crisco campaigns have flooded the race with cash in recent weeks, but as of April 16, Mr. Aiken had about $72,000 more left to spend than his opponent, according to Federal Election Commission filings. Ms. Morris hasn’t filed recent reports with the FEC.

In a five-minute video launching his campaign in February, Mr. Aiken vowed to pump up job creation and improve the economy. He shied away from discussing his celebrity—referring to it only as a “golden ticket”—and instead discussed his difficult early childhood, in which his mother was a victim of domestic abuse and his family struggled with money.

The Clay Aiken of the campaign trail has adopted a more mature, conservative appearance than in his Idol days. But one vestige of his stardom remains: His hair is always perfectly gelled.

The modern-day Cinderella story of an American Idol runner-up turned congressman may seem like a long shot—particularly given the district’s conservative tilt—but Cook Political Report analyst David Wasserman warned critics not to write Mr. Aiken off. In an interview last month, “Aiken took us by surprise, quickly washing away any notion he’s another superficial, stage-managed Hollywood star dabbling into politics as a new hobby,” Mr. Wasserman wrote. “Aiken was not only polished and poised, but relaxed, free-wheeling, persuasive, and politically realistic.”

Ms. Ellmers, for her part, hasn’t appeared concerned about Mr. Aiken’s potential challenge. In an interview with WMAL radio following the Aiken campaign’s launch, she speculated that the singer had tired of his entertainment career. “As we know he doesn’t always fare all that well,” she said. “He was a runner up.”

The congresswoman also faces a primary challenger: radio host Frank Roche, a favorite of tea-party Republicans. She was re-elected in 2012 with 56% of the vote, but has since been criticized for advocating some immigration overhaul efforts.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I heart Ken Arpino.

@KenArpino: Regardless of 2days outcome-- im beyond proud of @clayaiken. NC will be stronger 4 choosing him #beamingbro #standwithclay #nc02 #Congress

• Like 1

Wanna go?

Please Join

Clay Aiken

for an Election Night Watch Party

at

7:30pm

Devil's Ridge Golf Club

5107 Linksland Dr.

Holly Springs, North Carolina

Please RSVP to events@clayaiken.com

Paid for by Clay Aiken for North Carolina

Clay for North Carolina

PO Box 3809

Cary NC 27519-3809 United States

If you believe you received this message in error or wish to no longer receive email from us, please unsubscribe.

Partay!

@EileenVPark: Covering @clayaiken @ClayForNC tonight #ushouseofrep - we'll be live at his election party at 6, 7, and 11 with the latest! @WNCN

Ha ha

@Ramsey1975: Today Claymates don't know whether to scratch their watch or wind their butts. Seriously, best of luck. Good campaign @ClayForNC @clayaiken

@ClayForNC: Less than 30 minutes to cast your vote in the primary election! Polls close at 7:30. If you haven't voted, head to your polling place!

Forward Americans ‏@ForwardAmerican 1m

My sweet babes meeting @ClayForNC @clayaiken #nc02 tonight at his watch party! Just waiting on official results:) pic.twitter.com/9b2dNEaBqi

party_time_zpsd7e0c7c3.jpg