#66: "I'm Clay Aiken, and I Approved This Message!"

merrieeee

Here ya go!

Cam552000 were deciding yesterday whether to go to the election party for Clay. It was another 2 hour drive to get to Holly Springs and we had just done a similar length trip a little over a week ago. Neither of us had anything to do that evening so by 4:30 we were on our way.

We got to Holly Springs about an hour early. For some strange reason we didn't hit any traffic on the way, despite leaving at rush hour. We took a toll road which was deserted. I guess no one in Raleigh likes to pay tolls.

Holly Springs is a cute little town with the usual mini malls rather than main street shops. We did see several Clay signs in the town at polling places, one Morris sign and no Crisco signs. After nibbling at a coffee shop we headed out to the Club.

We walked in the room and knew no one at first. We talked to a couple from Southern pines who decided last minute to come out there. As you entered the room to the right was a reporters' table and about 4 tripods set up for tv cameras. As more people filtered in there were more reporters and even more cameras being set up. I recognized the woman who does NC Politics on Time Warner’s “Capital Tonight”. A woman from “Telemundo” wanted to interview us but I declined the others appeared to be local tv stations.

We talked to Frances Wilson whose son was the dj for the night. Faye and others had brought in the food for the night: little cakes, brownies, chips, dips. The drinks were water, sweet tea and some sort of fruit drink.

Most of the night we talked to fans we knew who were there and met some new people. There were quite a few men there as well as women I did not know.

Betsy Conti announced the beginning numbers as they rolled in, but mostly we watched them on the screen, which they had at the back of the room . They had a laptop attached to a projector of sorts.

We started getting anxious as the precincts kept rolling in. Gene Conti spoke around 10 or 10:30 and was very confident. He spoke again around 11:00 saying Clay would be in in 15 minutes and they were still very confident. It was 11:30 or so before Clay strode in. Shortly before he came in they played the Rocky theme. But I guess clay wasn't quite ready as he came in a little later.

He gave a wonderful, humorous speech before the cameras. I tried to take video but forget to press start. It would have been great. Oh well it was the Clay fog. When he announced his theme song, he mouthed the words with a glorious smile on his face. I do have that. He came around and shook hands or hugged some people. I do have a great picture of the back of his neck. Ha! What a lovely head of hair he has.

After last night I see him as a mature, determined and amazing leader. He is no longer the young man who almost won American idol. It sure has been a great ride watching Clay evolve.

After he made the rounds of the room and took some pictures with folks, he went out into a narrow corridor where the tv cameras and reporters surrounded him. I couldn't even see him as we passed through the hallway to go home. On our way out we got signs upon which Clay wrote thanks and his signature. I guess thats what we will get in the mail for our contributions.

I think he will only get better and stronger as he moves through the election process. I am so excited to be on this ride.

Ssaw the latest news after writing this. They told us no recount if under 1% of the vote and no runoff unless Clay goes under 40%. They were extremely confident last night.

Thanks Fear -- glad you were able to represent!

I saw on CV that Brett was there too. I'm asking permission for that recap right now...

ETA: Got it!

I attended the watch party last night. I'm still in Raleigh. Decided to go at the last minute after I received the invitation yesterday afternoon. Made the 3 hour drive straight through and got there a few minutes before 7:30.

As you know there were tons of press there. They filled almost half of the room with a camera equipment area and a table area for them to use their laptops. There was a laptop set up with a big screen to view the election results.

Signs were posted that basically said if you didn't want to be filmed or have your picture taken, to leave the area, and that by entering you were agreeing to be published. LOL

During the evening several people were interviewed including Faye and Gene and Betsy Conti. I didn't know who the others were.

I saw Clay's brother, Brett, there. I spoke to him briefly. He used to work at the same Marine Base where I was working.

We didn't see Clay until the 11th hour when he came out to give his speech. Afterwards He went quickly around the room shaking hands and giving hugs. The cameras followed him out, down the hall, and into another room.

She also has a few pictures of the press there, but none of Clay.

Terrible picture, but the content of the article is really good:

http://www.630wpro.com/common/more.php?m=58&ts=1399468803&article=35681EA9D61411E3B51EFEFDADE6840A&mode=2

(WASHINGTON) -- The race between Clay Aiken and textile entrepreneur Keith Crisco is still close too call Wednesday morning with the North Carolina State Board of Elections reporting the former American Idol star is still leading by just 369 votes with 100 percent of precincts reporting.

Aiken has 40.83 percent of the vote to Crisco’s 39.54 percent.

So What Happens Next?

According to Josh Lawson, the public information officer and general spokesperson for the North Carolina State Board of Elections, officials have completed calculating all in person votes as well as the absentee ballots they have received.

The deadline for receiving absentee ballots is this Friday, May 9, so as long as they are postmarked by Tuesday and received by Friday they will count.

“They will come in by snail mail,” Lawson told ABC News.

The Board is also currently counting provisional ballots. These are ballots that were cast Tuesday in person but were flagged for irregularity. The Board is currently going through those now, counting and authenticating them.

Will There Be A Recount?

The state only mandates a recount if there is less than a 1 percent spread between the candidates. That is not currently the case but if that changes, then a campaign would still have to request it and then there will be a recount.

If the vote count stays above a 1 percent spread there is not a mandatory statute in state law requiring a recount, but if a campaign requests it, the 100 individual county election boards, as well as the state board, does have discretionary recount authority.

Lawson stresses this situation is “not a frequent event” and highly unusual.

Will There Be A Run-Off?

No. In the state of North Carolina, as long as a candidate has over 40 percent, there will not be a run-off. Currently, Aiken has already passed that 40 percent mark.

Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Team Clay just posted this on Facebook:

I am deeply grateful to the thousands of people who responded to our campaign to change the tone of politics and give the people of the Second District the representation they deserve in Washington. This was a very close contest, and as we continue to count the votes, we are more and more excited about our campaign’s ability to move forward and be victorious in November. We’re grateful for all the messages of congratulations and pledges of continued support that we’ve received today. - Clay

And the email version:

I am deeply grateful to the thousands of people who responded to our campaign to change the tone of politics and give the people of the Second District the representation they deserve in Washington.

This was a very close contest, and as we continue to count the votes, we are more and more excited about our campaign’s ability to move forward and be victorious on November 4th.

We’re grateful for all the messages of congratulations and pledges of continued support that we’ve received today. Many of you have been by my side every step of the way. Even more came out in the final days to help us reach voters in this election. I’m truly humbled by the outpouring of support we’ve seen.

I can’t wait to keep the conversation going in the coming weeks, and I ask you to help support us by contributing $20 to help us count the votes!

We did this together, and together we will win in November!

Thank you!!

-Clay

Wow it must be a slow day in the Clay Nation!

When this political thing all started I was not happy since as you all know I hate politics. Well time has moved on and I have become very zen about this. Tuesday night was a true nail bighter but as the days go by I really don't care if he wins or loses! Bad fan I know.

There were two scenarios that I would have been happy if either had happened. One was that he finally got his "confetti" moment and the other was that he was not humiliated in the polls. Since there was no definitive winner Tuesday I doubt there will ever be that moment but I did get my second scenario. He acquitted himself really well, has shown people he is not just a pretty faced singer and has earned so much respect. So much in fact he got 40% of the vote! How great is that?

Realistically If it does turn out he did win and runs against Ellmers I don't think he has a chance. Bad fan pops up again!

It might turn out that the vote results change but I'm ok with it if it does because I feel that this whole process can only lead to bigger and better things for him. TPTB have seen and I believed they listened.

Ok no more ramblings this morning back to work!

I've kind of gone the other way......I thought I didn't care one way or the other about this election but it turns out I really do. I will be pissed if they recount and he ends up not winning! I think it's the Claymate in me coming out. I don't think that's going to happen though. I think this time he's really going to win. :clap:

I don't know how many times I've watched the "walk away Renee" clip at this point, but it never fails to bring a huge grin to my face. I even put it up on the big screen yesterday and made my daughter and my mom watch it. I've seen it described as a "transformation" and I agree - you can see the old Clay come shining through. He's still in there. :)

I have already decided that I can't afford gala this year, but I do hope for the sake of those going that he sings for the "cheap" seats as well as the VIPs. I hope to send in a donation in lieu of attending.

Wow it must be a slow day in the Clay Nation!

When this political thing all started I was not happy since as you all know I hate politics. Well time has moved on and I have become very zen about this. Tuesday night was a true nail bighter but as the days go by I really don't care if he wins or loses! Bad fan I know.

No, not “bad fan” -- because I think you explain yourself well with this next paragraph...

There were two scenarios that I would have been happy if either had happened. One was that he finally got his "confetti" moment and the other was that he was not humiliated in the polls. Since there was no definitive winner Tuesday I doubt there will ever be that moment but I did get my second scenario. He acquitted himself really well, has shown people he is not just a pretty faced singer and has earned so much respect. So much in fact he got 40% of the vote! How great is that?

While the “confetti” moment would have been great this go-around (I’m saving that for November...but more on that in a bit…), I really do like the respect he gained in these past three months. In my opinion, that has made him a true winner. He’s managed to turn around much of his image -- no longer just some guy who got famous quickly from American Idol, but someone who is smart and articulate about the issues that affect his area.

And although I almost hate to bring this up -- I’m glad that he’s managed to change some minds of people who would never vote for an LGBT candidate. I know there are some fans who would like for him to talk more about these issues; however, I’m not one of them. Why? Because I think it would alienate those who need to open their minds regarding those issues. Clays’ done it smart; he’s focused on the issues for the area that affect all there, and I think many people realize that he’s not just a “one note candidate.” Good for him.

Realistically If it does turn out he did win and runs against Ellmers I don't think he has a chance. Bad fan pops up again!

Again...not “bad fan!” I do have to say though that as much as I want him to win, I think the November election really is a LONG shot. That district is sadly just too gerrymandered. BUT -- if he does win -- and I think he’ll work that cute tushie off to try and make it happen -- THAT is the time for the confetti moment!

I know many people ache for all of his “losses.” But in my mind, he’s “won” so many times over. He’s always seemed to me to be a “pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again” kind of person. Resilient. Strong (stronger than many realize). He’s a treasure.

It might turn out that the vote results change but I'm ok with it if it does because I feel that this whole process can only lead to bigger and better things for him. TPTB have seen and I believed they listened.

YES! This whole experience is an amazing thing for him, and will lead to things only Clay can dream up!

I've kind of gone the other way......I thought I didn't care one way or the other about this election but it turns out I really do. I will be pissed if they recount and he ends up not winning! I think it's the Claymate in me coming out. I don't think that's going to happen though. I think this time he's really going to win.

You have Claymate in you? When did that happen? [/jk]

I don't know how many times I've watched the "walk away Renee" clip at this point, but it never fails to bring a huge grin to my face. I even put it up on the big screen yesterday and made my daughter and my mom watch it. I've seen it described as a "transformation" and I agree - you can see the old Clay come shining through. He's still in there.

I too have watched that clip a few gazillion times now. Talk about adorable -- and I also think his choice shows his snark side.

Regarding the bolded...I don’t he’ll ever leave. We all are multifaceted -- we just choose which side want to be seen at different points in our lives. Clay, being one of the most multifaceted people I’ve ever seen, has just picked something different for now. I can’t predict if the performer will come back, but I have been so glad that portion introduced me to him!

Alas, I won't be going to the Gala this year either, although I may be seriously tempted to go to a campaign fundraiser if one comes to Chicago. However, I decided a few weeks ago to set up a quarterly donation to the National Inclusion Project automatically this year. I do believe in the cause, and hope that they will continue to do good work.

So I guess they are still in counting stage. While I haven't followed closely I do want him to win. So here's hoping. I know many have him winning already but I remember going to sleep and having California's new Gov Bradley and waking up to Gov. Dukemajian. And we won't get into the falling chads of Florida. I always love it when the rich folks who try to buy elections lose.

Interesting blog, from The New Civil Rights Movement

Everything You Need to Know to Enjoy Clay Aiken's Quest for Congress

Everything You Need To Know To Enjoy Clay Aiken’s Quest For Congress

by JEAN ANN ESSELINK on MAY 9, 2014

inCELEBRITIES,EDUCATION,JEAN ANN ESSELINK,NEWS

If Clay Aiken’s narrow lead from Tuesday’s Democratic Primary holds up, we are about to be treated to one of the most interesting congressional races in the country. Here’s everything you need to know to enjoy the heck out of it from afar.

district-2.jpg?resize=150%2C60First of all, Clay is running for a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives for North Carolina’s District 2. That’s the nine turquoise counties in the center of the state. It stretches from Wake County in the east to Guilford County in the west and it’s strange U shape is because it was gerrymandered to lean Republican. District 2 went for Mitt Romney by 16 points.

Of course, Clay has the celebrity thing going for him, and anecdotally, his appearances are reported to be drawing crowds. Clay has been pressing the flesh and talking to citizens, not hiding behind body guards or campaign staff. Most appearances end with Clay posing for selfies with anyone who wants a souvenir.

Celebrity also means Clay knows other celebrities, who, as the election approaches, can do magic for a get-out-the-vote effort, The celebrities bring the press. Their very presence create crowds. And they remind voters who don’t follow politics and who have a habit of skipping non-presidential years, that there’s an election going on.

If Clay Aiken hangs on to be the Democratic candidate for District 2, he will be facing the incumbent congresswoman, Renee Ellmers.

Rep. Ellmers is a rising star in the Republican firmament, and John Boehner is said to have been grooming her for a leadership position to relieve his “dearth of Republican women” problem. She’s been “regular right” under Speaker Boehner’s tutelage, taking positions that are sure to have irritated the Tea Party crowd that helped put her in office in 2010. So Tea Party support this time around is a question mark.

You may remember an episode last January in which Brigadier General Martin Schweitzer was disciplined for an email he wrote as a colonel calling a visiting congresswoman “smoking hot” and reporting how many times he masturbated thinking about her? That congresswoman was Renee Ellmers, which in my book, should gain her some of the female solidarity vote.

Rep. Ellmers is a former nurse, and has nurses firmly behind her. Clay Aiken has become the champion of North Carolina’s teachers. Teachers are up in arms about proposed legislation that would affect their job security, and promotions, and they haven’t had a raise in years. They will turn out.

Then of course there’s the gay issue. Just waiting to see if Renee Ellmers goes, or doesn’t go there is worth the price of a ticket. North Carolina passed a same-sex marriage ban by 22 points just two short years ago, and Rep. Ellmers is on record with the whole “one man, one woman” crapola.

That leaves money. It is expected that both candidates will be awash in it. Political pundits think the North Carolina senate race between incumbent Democrat Kay Hagen and Thom Tillis could determine which party rules the senate, and that guarantees the state national attention. Out-of-state money will flow.

So get comfortable. This should be fun.

Oh, one last thing. If you live in North Carolina, please vote.

Tweets.

@hayessnipes47: Selfies with clay Aiken? Nice. @alliesnipes09 http://t.co/XcAgjGfSDq

@lilpickle_: carol and clay Aiken http://t.co/kEO6oEDbBU

@OliviaKoscso: @clayaiken isn't the best selfie taker but this still made my day ❤️ http://t.co/gYTGvZYQlc

@swaggiemaggie1: @pepic5 and @clayaiken are friends http://t.co/rRns6s4vR7

@pepic5: the best 2 minutes of my life. loved our convo especially when u asked for my name @clayaiken #iwouldvote4ubutim16 http://t.co/uGejxnFbWE

@OliviaKoscso: I'm not even a democrat but clay aiken is so cute

@maryscott_w: Clay Aiken is cool http://t.co/mk4IvlQ2Dp

@awwgusta: 7 year old Augusta is screaming. #ClayforNC #ClayAiken http://t.co/aHUaiitMzA

@SaintMarysNC: SMS Young Dems & Young Republicans thank @ClayForNC for visiting Saint Mary's today to talk govt. and issues with us! http://t.co/k8eJrw8pq1

@SaintMarysNC: Saint Marys' students w/ congressional candidate @ClayForNC @ Smedes Hall Fri. after his forum with us in the parlor. http://t.co/ce3LevRhtP

A cool News & Observer article about his visit to Saint Mary's School today:

Clay Aiken Answers Girls' Questions at Saint Mary's School in Raleigh

Clay Aiken answers girls’ questions at Saint Mary’s School in Raleigh

BY CRAIG JARVIS

cjarvis@newsobserver.comMay 9, 2014 Updated 1 hour ago

1bYZbN.AuHi.156.jpeg1bYZCg.AuHi.156.jpeg

RALEIGH — Clay Aiken on Friday compared his current situation – waiting for votes to be counted to see whether he’s the 2nd Congressional District’s Democratic candidate – to his days as a contestant on “American Idol.”

“I’ve put myself in several situations on national TV where I had to wait for some results,” Aiken told a group of students in Raleigh. “Worrying about how that could turn out never changes it, amazingly. So I don’t stress out too much.”

Aiken made the analogy during a noncampaign stop at Saint Mary’s School in Raleigh, where about 100 students peppered him with questions at the event, which was sponsored by the campus Young Democrats and Young Republicans.

His visit, which had been scheduled for some time, was a natural for the former special education teacher and camp counselor. He had the students laughing, clapping and clamoring for photographs. Too bad most of them can’t vote.

To the student who asked him how it felt to wait for the outcome of the election, Aiken added: “Mathematically, we’ve run the numbers and we feel pretty confident. If I were in the same position as the person who I am running against, I would probably be doing the same thing, which would be wanting to see every single vote count.”

Aiken’s campaign – like that of his opponent in the Democratic congressional primary, Keith Crisco – has been in suspended animation since Tuesday night. Aiken leads Crisco in the contest to be the Democratic challenger facing U.S. Rep. Renee Ellmers.

But his 369-vote lead is not yet the final word: Some absentee and provisional ballots haven’t been counted, and if the margin narrows enough, Crisco could call for a recount.

Aiken presented a restrained optimism at Friday’s event, his first public appearance since thanking his supporters on election night.

Only a smattering of the students at the school for girls in grades nine through 12 are old enough to vote and, as Aiken pointed out, few of them are even old enough to remember him from his second-place finish on “American Idol” in 2003, which kicked off a successful recording and performing career.

Aiken said he didn’t think the votes could change enough to lead to a recount, but if it does, he’s confident it won’t change the outcome.

“Between now and then, I’m not losing any sleep,” he said.

The Democratic and Republican clubs prepared a number of questions ahead of time, and then opened it up to the student audience. Girls asked him:

• What is a day on the campaign trail like? (Unpredictable.)

• What motivated him to run? (Speaking up for the voiceless.)

• How did it feel to vote for himself? (Surreal.)

• Will he run for higher office? (No.)

• Does he take offense at the news media? (He’s “challenged” by them.)

Aiken congratulated the students for taking an interest in politics at a young age. He encouraged them to pay attention.

“There are things being done today in Raleigh and Washington and the capital of whatever state you’re from that will affect you,” he told them. “You need to be ready as soon as you turn 18.”

Jarvis: 919-829-4576; Twitter: @CraigJ_NandO

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/05/09/3849662/aiken-talks-politics-at-girls.html?sp=/99/102/105/#storylink=cpy

COUNTING, AND MAYBE RECOUNTING

• Clay Aiken leads Keith Crisco by 369 votes in the Democratic primary in the 2nd Congressional District. Absentee and provisional ballots are still being counted. There are not enough ballots outstanding to change the outcome, but they could narrow the margin enough to allow Crisco to ask for a recount.
    A recount can be held if the difference between the candidates is no more than 1 percent of the total votes cast. Recounts rarely change the outcome of an election.
    The votes will be canvassed and certified on Tuesday.
    Staff writer Craig Jarvis

Oops, I was catching up reading in the news thread and posted in the wrong thread last night!

2014-05-07t203643z-1977577906-tm4ea571a3g01-rtrmadp-3-usa-north-carolina-aiken.jpg

Democratic nominee Clay Aiken takes a pictures with a constituent after a campaign forum in Cary, North Carolina, April 28, 2014. REUTERS/COLLEEN JENKINS

That's in Siler City at the Jordan Matthews High School media center - not Cary. You can see that Today Show lady in the background. We met that lady he's taking the selfie with - squee, she was really nice - she said she moved back several years ago to take care of her mother, who has recently died, and now she's looking for work. We said, been there, done that, hang in there.

And for that matter, Reuters captioner, he isn't technically the nominee yet. (Of course he will be.)

Love those St. Mary's pics. "Clay Aiken is cool." Heh.

I just finally listened to the Dee Snider interview - wow, that was great stuff. Dee loves him some Clay Aiken!

Happy Mothers Day to all, whether your baby has 2 legs or 4 legs. :openflower3:

We are going out to eat at the retirement home with our ex neighbor who is 87 and is in the nursing facility there. It has a lovely dining room and the food is quite good. I'll probably get a text from my son who lives nearby and a phone call from my other son on the other coast. I ask them not to give gifts as it took so long to declutter our home.