#66: "I'm Clay Aiken, and I Approved This Message!"

merrieeee

From Facebook. Clay's in Virginia tonight!

Michele Jones

1 hr near Richmond, VA

Look who came in to the restaurant! Clay Aiken:). He's a really good sport and super handsome in person!

10401867_10204246469470306_3064399546905803557_n_zpsd0a0de73.jpg

From Facebook:

10433783_693569107375968_3683099167302915605_n_zpsaa36b811.jpg

Mid-Atlantic Region - Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated

Today

Representative Clay Akin, Dr. Linda H. Gilliam, Mid-Atlantic Regional Director and Alpha Kappa Alpha member Ms. Deloris Revis. — with Clay Aiken and Linda H. Gilliam at North Carolina State Capitol.

merrieeee's husband, John, passed away this morning. Please keep her and her daughter in your thoughts and prayers as they go through this difficult time. I'll post arrangements updates here when I find them....

New email, with a new logo. I almost deleted it, as it didn't come from a name I was familiar -- Eric Mansfield:

unnamed_zps4da09b4e.png

Your name here,

In a Sunday column in the Fayetteville Observer, U.S. Rep. Renee Ellmers detailed the list of things she’s done to help save the 440th Airlift Wing at Ft. Bragg. Based on her column, she’s been a military advocate these past few weeks, and she wants you to know it.

Serving as a soldier at Ft. Bragg and being deployed with the 82nd Airborne gave me a deep appreciation for the fine men and women of the 440th Airlift Wing. I don’t like them being used for petty political points. While she touts her efforts in this op-ed, she failed to mention the things she’s done previously that hurt veterans and those in the military. She supported the sequester and government shutdown that hurt our military, veterans, their families and our community. There was no op-ed in the Fayetteville Observer when she was taking those votes.

As a former NC State Senator, I always felt it was my job to maintain an open line of communication with all my constituents, even when we disagreed. I tried to make a point to discuss openly my positions regarding the most difficult votes that I took, some of which did not toe the party line, but I felt it was good policy for the people.

It took some political courage to take a stand when it wasn’t popular with party leaders or the political establishment. But it was the right thing to do for my district. Clay Aiken has that type of political courage, and I know in Congress he’ll stand up for the people of North Carolina’s Second District.

True political courage means always being an advocate – not just on election years or when it's deemed acceptable by your political party. During this time when partisanship trumps policy, and demonization rules over informed debate, we need more public servants.

Public servants, unlike politicians, should be more servant than they are public. They should serve and fight for their constituents without need for fanfare nor applause. They fight the good fight not because it will allow them to write an op-ed, but because it is right.

Clay’s campaign is about being a voice for the people of the Second District again, even when times get tough. That’s why I support Clay’s campaign, and that’s why I hope you will, too.

It’s time to make politics about public service again.

Yours,

Eric Mansfield, MD, MPH

Former NC State Senator

Fayetteville, NC

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts. John had cancer for 5 years and did very well for 4 of those. He is in no more pain and at peace. The best thing I can say is that he was a good man who loved our daughter and me more than words can say.

• Like 1

merrieee, I remember you telling me stories about how you didn't think you should go on Clay trips because of your husband...and him saying "go, have fun with your friends!" That, to me, is a very loving husband.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I'm running behind from yesterday -- I had lots to do at work yesterday, and then things kept happening last night as well which prevented me from posting! So...here is stuff from the past 24 hours or so...

Read at CV that our friend keepingfaith's father died this past week. My thoughts and prayers are with her at this time...

Anthione Cobb ‏@MisterCobb 2m

Y'all look who I met today! None other than Mr. "Bridge Over Trouble Water" himself! Clay Aiken!!… http://instagram.com/p/o4SX-IFnsL/

2014-06-06_0819_zps212914f7.png

Major League Baseball's draft started yesterday, and there's a kid named Brady Aiken who was drafted by the Houston Astros. Needless to say, Twitter users are either having fun with the name connection, or are truly confused.

NOT BUSTER OLNEY ‏@TRIPPINGOLNEY 10m

CLAY AIKEN'S SON GOES TO THE ASTROS. GOOD THINGS HAPPEN TO GOOD PEOPLE.

Dylan ‏@BarnitoSupreme9 10m

I wonder if he's related to clay aiken, it'd be p cool if clay aiken's relative played for the astros

Matheny Must Go ‏@stlredbirds85 2m

Astros be like: " oh shit I thought we took Clay Aiken"

Kirk Gibson ‏@kgibbsva 1m

Not sure how @clayaiken will juggle democracy and baseball, but s/o to the @astros for having faith in his multitasking abilities.

Fake John McClain ‏@FakeJohnMcClain 3m

Congrats to Clay Aiken for being the #Astros #1 overall pick.

Matt Cowlishaw ‏@MattCowlis 3m

Who was the #1 pick in the #MLBDraft? Clay Aiken?

____

Lambda Delta Omega Chapter of AKA

7 hrs

Representative Clay Aikens from the American Idols

clay_zps78256ee9.jpg

J David Cox Sr.

Follow · 34 mins

I had the pleasure of meeting with House of Representatives candidate Clay Aiken. Clay is a great friend and supporter of working families.

clay_zpsa2588242.jpg

2f6ee5aa623a541ba0388dbe323c0267_zps47cf4292.jpg

Via CV, from the New York Time daily online magazine.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/06/08/magazine/08-one-page-magazine.html?_r=1

1a7e24101e3012724ad65496816a41dd_zps76f70996.jpg

msref1908

21 minutes ago

I'm with 2nd Congressional District candidate Clay Aiken at the Jefferson Jackson breakfast hosted by the Democratic Women of Wake County.

acc997fd34870636aa7d7e47d68f1082_zps434a94db.jpg

neldaleon @NeldaLeon

US House Candidate Clay Aiken talking about his race at the Wake Co. Democratic Women Breakfast Raleigh, NC.

I am out and about during the day today (my husband's new band has a gig this afternoon, plus a church sale this morning), but I should be around later tonight to catch up. (My DH has another gig this evening, but it is outside, and they are forecasting rain. Not good.)

Damn, no Triple Crown winner again. I'm beginning to wonder if it will happen in my lifetime at this point!

Tremayne B. Smith ‏@Tremayne_Smith 50s

Clay Aiken and I. pic.twitter.com/Y8kuC63Ds9

Jun_7_zps586f0b7d.jpg