#66: "I'm Clay Aiken, and I Approved This Message!"

merrieeee

From CV

No singing but Clay looked great! Parker was there and Clay even pointed him out along with his mother. What a cutie Parker is and with LOTS of energy!

From ebeth at CV.

This report won't be very detailed because I guess I'm in the Aiken fog.

My daughter and I had made plans to go to the event this evening. When I got home, DH said he wanted to go too! So off we went. Clay came in and "worked the room." Took us a while to be able to speak with him, there were lots of candidates and dignitaries there that he was speaking with. When we spoke with him, my DH brought up our relatives in Asheboro and that they are Republicans but are supporting him. Clay said Frank Roche had contacted him and said he would be supporting Clay and lots of Republicans would be doing the same; Roche called them Repubaikens and said Roche told him they are getting yard signs made with that on them.

Clay was introduced and then spoke very eloquently for a pretty long while. My daughter talked about how likeable and "relatable" he is. (She isn't a fan, per se). By the way, during the intro, the lady introducing him mentioned Bill Maher and "Flip the District." Clay smiled and nodded. Clay introduced the Red Clay Ramblers and while they played he worked the room some more. My husband had spoken with "Charlie" today about getting his ticket for tonite (not the same Charlie as in the primary race.) Charlie is very young and TALL (we saw him in pix at the 4th of July parade.) We were talking to Charlie and Parker came over and wanted to get on his shoulders so my DH helped him get up there. Did I say Charlie is very TALL? Then Charlie who came from, I believe Maryland, just to work in Clay's campaign started talking to us about BBQ and his favorite BBQ place. Lo and behold here comes Clay and when he found out what we were discussing, starts giving us directions and why their BBQ is so good! My DH loved that!

We had a great time and Clay sure seemed like he was enjoying it!

Another tweet

@Chantal2c: Clay Aiken for NC Benefit w/ The Red Clay Ramblers Awesome event tonight!!! Met some wonderful people with Dana... http://t.co/IAdeJ6Tnnj

@Twilight926: So after 11 years I finally got a selfie with @clayaiken tonight!!! http://t.co/rDSsQsQ3d3

Thanks. Here you go.

Cam552000 and louemma and I left Winston-Salem at 3:45 assuming we left plenty of time to get to Raleigh by 6:00. Nearing Raleigh we hit a terrible storm with traffic almost at a dead stop. Despite this we pulled up to the theatre at 5:45.

The Southland Theatre was in an industrial area and reminded me of the theatres that my youngest son played punk rock in. The posters inside the theatre definitely showed alternative bands that had appeared there. We were told to go in and report to Nick if we had payed in advance. He had to look up our names and was a little embarrassed that he had neglected to put them in alphabetical order.

When we got in the theatre it looked pretty empty and we easily recognized several fans we knew. There where booths in the back and a few on the side. Also about 20 chairs set up in front of the stage in 2 rows. I kept my eye on those seats as I knew my feet wouldn't make 2 hours standing. But first along one side a table was set up with some dips, brie, crackers, chips and some carrots and celery. I grabbed a carrot and bit into it just as Clay came by to say hi. He asked my name and I said I was choking, which I really was, and he said hi choking. I was finally able to tell him my name.

There was a bar on the other side but we had to buy our drinks. The theatre really started filling up around 6:30 and soon became crowded. I would guess close to 200 or so. Lots of young people. Clay's manager, Ellen, came by to chat and mentioned that there is never a dull moment working with Clay.

Around 5:45 or so a woman on the stage asked for our attention. Of course none of us could remember her name. She started to talk about Clay, mentioned Renee and said if Clay wouldn't say anything bad about Renee, she would. Clay looked like he was having a difficult time keeping a straight face. She mentioned Renee's famous comments and then brought up Bill Mahr. They seemed pretty excited about it and she had us recite Flip a District several times. After seeing Clay speak three other times, this time his spiel has changed. First of all he introduced politicians and candidates in the audience. He mentioned that his mom was also in the audience. There were cheers so he said his mom, Faye Parker was there with a special person. He said “it's my son. Please be gentle.” Than instead of introducing himself, he spoke about The ACA, teachers and federal changes that could be made, and student loans. He mentioned a staffer that was $110,000 in debt after 2 years of school.

Clay, than introduced each of the Red Clay Ramblers and which instruments they played. Clay mentioned something about missing performing on the stage a little. I think he really meant it. The band was very good . I really enjoyed them.

We saw Clay's son as we were leaving. He is very cute and seemed tall for his age. I only saw him from the side and didn't notice much of a resemblance to Clay. But who knows, my eyes aren't so good anymore.

This was a great fundraiser and well worth what I paid and some.

Tweet from Mayor. Chris Rey

@ChrisRey4NC: Renee Elmer's decides to sue the president instead of figure out ways to fix the NC 2nd District. This is why we need @clayaiken in DC.#Vote

Thanks merrieeee for stepping in last night for me. My husband's last day of vacation was yesterday, and he was working outside doing some digging in our yard. So...he managed to nick the internet cable cord there, and we now have no internet at home. It won't be repaired until Friday morning. (To be fair to him, whoever laid the cable didn't do a very good job -- it was maybe 2 inches below ground, if that. Should have been at least 6 inches...) I was able to keep up a bit with the phone last night, and my husband set up the cellular hotspot as well, but I didn't want to waste that too much (we went over our data plan last month because of that, when we were in Vegas).

So what am I doing at work today? Catching up on the boards! Heh.

It sounds like last night was a blast! Off to look and see if anyone got any more pictures -- of both Clay AND Parker!

Eva F. Lee at Southland Ballroom

33 mins ·

What an amazing event tonight with Clay Aiken along with his son and Mom. Time for bipartisanship and progressive representation that doesnt embarass our great State! Also met three wonderful Judicial candidates, hosted by Nick Long's law school pal Joyce and her husband.

clay_zps64749921.jpg

Another begging letter.

Xxxxxx

I can’t believe it. We’ve raised over $600,000 from individual supporters just like you. That’s almost twice what Renee Ellmers has raised from individual folks, and we did it in a third of the time.

But special interests are pouring money into Ellmers' campaign to keep it afloat. We’re going to need your help to fight back and win on November 4. That’s why we’re asking you to support our campaign by making small, monthly contributions to help flip this district from Renee to Clay.

Join our campaign by committing to contribute $11.04 a month to help us win on 11/4.

It’s really that simple, and your monthly contribution will go a long way to help us get our message out.

We’re proud of the grassroots campaign we’re running. When we win, it’s going to be because folks like you supported us the whole way.

So chip in $11.04 a month over these next 3 months to help us fight Renee Ellmers' special interest money with contributions from folks just like you.

We need you on our team. Your help will make the difference on November 4.

Yours,

Nick

Nick Leisey

Finance Director

Clay Aiken for North Carolina

Paid for by Clay Aiken for North Carolina

Clay for North Carolina

PO Box 3809

Cary NC 27519-3809 United States

If you believe you received this message in error or wish to no longer receive email from us, please unsubscribe.

The mayor is tweeting again.

@ChrisRey4NC: @clayaiken supports the investment in early childhood education. Early investment is a win for America. #Vote4Clay2014

Another blog about the latest fundraiser.

http://www.bluenc.com/my-gps-hates-me-guess-what-i-know-raleigh-without-you

My GPS hates me, but guess what, I know Raleigh without you.

Submitted by Nancy Miller Martin on Fri, 08/01/2014 - 11:36am

On Wednesday I decided to use my GPS to go to Clay Aiken's shindig at the Southland Ballroom. I lived in Raleigh for years, but it has been awhile. Since I was traveling alone, I thought it would make me feel more secure. When I was about half way there it started giving me directions from my house in Fayetteville again. That was kinda the end of the security part. After driving for about 45 minutes and it didn't get any better, I put the GPS in my trunk so I wouldn't throw it out the window. We won't even talk about why I was traveling alone.

The first people I talked to were Nick and Tucker. Nick said he never uses a GPS. I might give it another chance. It worked fine for a long time, but the trust is gone.

The first people I saw when I went into the ballroom were people I have known for a long time. They are friends of my bother and also friends and big supporters of Clay. One of them was telling me that for the longest time they couldn't believe or figure out why Brad had such phenomenal numbers in his wins. (his words). When he told me what they had figured out I knew Clay could do that too. It's amazing to see someone come on the scene in politics and win so many people over so fast. After he made his speech and walked back down to the floor, he was mobbed again. In a crowd like that, you need to win people over, but with his charisma, that's not a problem. They loved him. Everywhere he goes, the people love him.

I didn't stay long, but I stayed long enough to meet Parker.

When I was leaving I was in the middle of the concert traffic, but it didn't bother me too much. I travel to DC, so that was a piece of cake. The GPS is still in my trunk. I'm thinking about it.

Tomorrow it's James Taylor. We like to stick to North Carolina.

Tagged:clay aiken Faye Aiken Parker

Nancy Miller Martin's blog

Login or register to post comments

• Like 1